Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShaggy420
Male

Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says
    #539238 - 03/23/11 01:40 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation.

The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries.

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

Their means of analysing the data invokes what is known as nonlinear dynamics - a mathematical approach that has been used to explain a wide range of physical phenomena in which a number of factors play a part.

One of the team, Daniel Abrams of Northwestern University, put forth a similar model in 2003 to put a numerical basis behind the decline of lesser-spoken world languages.

At its heart is the competition between speakers of different languages, and the "utility" of speaking one instead of another.

"The idea is pretty simple," said Richard Wiener of the Research Corporation for Science Advancement, and the University of Arizona.

"It posits that social groups that have more members are going to be more attractive to join, and it posits that social groups have a social status or utility.

"For example in languages, there can be greater utility or status in speaking Spanish instead of [the dying language] Quechuan in Peru, and similarly there's some kind of status or utility in being a member of a religion or not."
A man fills in a census form Some of the census data the team used date from the 19th century

Dr Wiener continued: "In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40%, and the highest we saw was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60%."

The team then applied their nonlinear dynamics model, adjusting parameters for the relative social and utilitarian merits of membership of the "non-religious" category.

They found, in a study published online, that those parameters were similar across all the countries studied, suggesting that similar behaviour drives the mathematics in all of them.

And in all the countries, the indications were that religion was headed toward extinction.

However, Dr Wiener told the conference that the team was working to update the model with a "network structure" more representative of the one at work in the world.

"Obviously we don't really believe this is the network structure of a modern society, where each person is influenced equally by all the other people in society," he said.

However, he told BBC News that he thought it was "a suggestive result".

"It's interesting that a fairly simple model captures the data, and if those simple ideas are correct, it suggests where this might be going.

"Obviously much more complicated things are going on with any one individual, but maybe a lot of that averages out."

a decline in religious bullshit can only be a good thing :awesomenod:

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeekEr
HandBanana
 User Gallery

Loc: canada Flag
Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: Shaggy420]
    #539296 - 03/23/11 04:24 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Thank fuck, not that i have anything against anyone who "believes",to each his own. i just think its bullshit.Religion that is.

--------------------

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: BeekEr]
    #539310 - 03/23/11 05:04 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

link?

--------------------

OfflineShaggy420
Male

Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: iStoner]
    #539315 - 03/23/11 05:19 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: Shaggy420]
    #539322 - 03/23/11 05:42 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

OfflineCoaster
I'm Back Baby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sativa Central Flag
Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: Cage]
    #539330 - 03/23/11 06:18 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

i just searched it on google

it only takes 2 braincells do learn how to do that...

--------------------

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

Loc: Flag
Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: Coaster]
    #539403 - 03/23/11 09:18 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
i just searched it on google

it only takes 2 braincells do learn how to do that...

And only, like, 2 keystrokes to pull up the search bar if you're using Google Chrome.

That said, I found this article to be of much interest.

--------------------
"When I awaken,
The first thing on my mind,
A little bit of cornflakes,
And a blunt that's all mine."-PUTS

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: Far Stox]
    #539428 - 03/23/11 10:52 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Awesome, fear based religions are a mechanism for control of people. As a model, the United States of America, whom fully embraced fear based religion, political strategies, media manipulation; one can only see the complete and utter failure of the design.

I believe a religion based purely on positivity, their is no wrong, is much more useful. The only benefit to religions is the collective consciousness of good, positive emotions. As seen in not only religious groups, but also in spiritual groups whom do not believe in "god."

One only has to look to the ever popular Lady Gaga videos to see how disturbing any form of religion has become. I offer a video series I'm currently uploading on youtube that presents a alternative paradigm of philosophy / religion that is actually good, and not pure evil.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: BigBudz]
    #539435 - 03/23/11 11:17 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

comparing Lady Gaga to organized religion?? Hmm... Not too sure how you connect the dots on that one...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: Tank333]
    #539501 - 03/24/11 01:09 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Watch the videos on youtube. You would have to be insane to not see the religious connection. If so, you have much homework to do on religion. If this video you cannot ascertain as religious you need to grow some brain cells. Or at least develop the analytical thought process.

Not only is this video religious, it has the psychological programming "be a drag queen" which is most likely forced by the USA government in some way to control the population via HIV/AIDS via mind control. I'm not joking and since you are luckily immune somewhat to the effects of mind control via use of psychedelic drugs, etc. I'd be very terrified and take the information 100% seriously.

Proof is in the video. Tell me that isn't religious and that they don't have "be a drag queen" as the chorus, you must be def if you can't hear that, much less see precisely what I'm talking about.

Oh and you don't think I'm physic and all powerful? How come whatever I think about appears in topics on this web forum? Jealous, do more meth.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Edited by BigBudz (03/24/11 01:24 AM)

OfflineCoaster
I'm Back Baby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sativa Central Flag
Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says [Re: BigBudz]
    #539504 - 03/24/11 01:26 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

im jealous
so ill do what you say
:meff:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies