Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Isn't extinction a good thing? [Re: niteowl]
    #358059 - 02/05/10 01:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't trust anything from the Heartland institute. 

That's for sure.  The Heartland Institute's Environmental "expert," James Taylor, is a lawyer based in Florida. Despite presenting a veneer of scientific expertise in their Environmental advocacy, the Heartland lacks any scientists trained to understand climate issues.

Never trust a political think tank (and a conservative one at that!) to provide or fund your science.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Isn't extinction a good thing? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #358060 - 02/05/10 01:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Here's another article.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/japan-warming-UN/2009/02/25/id/328463

Found these hypothesis's interesting.

# CO2 emissions began to increase significantly after 1946 and are still rising. Therefore, according to the IPCC, global atmospheric temperatures should continue to increase. However, temperatures stopped increasing in 2001.

# The global temperature increase up to today is primarily a recovery from the “Little Ice Age” that earth experienced from 1400 to 1800. This rise peaked in 2000.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (02/05/10 01:45 PM)

OfflineTomCollins

#358061 - 02/05/10 01:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
the evidence is everywhere
if you are willing to look

EPA suppressed evidence against global warming

The simple fact that it is being shoved down my throat makes me suspicious if it.....
just like the swine flu that still hasn't turned in to the pandemic it was supposed to

Oh by the way, I did a little more research into the EPA thing. Turns out the report was submitted by a think tank called CEI. I looked up the org, and found out some interesting things about its funding.

Turns out it receives funding from:
- Ford Motor Company
- Exxon Mobil
- Pfizer - "Pfizer pleaded guilty in 2009 to the largest health care fraud in U.S. history and received the largest criminal penalty ever levied for illegal marketing of four of its drugs. Called a repeat offender, this was Pfizer's fourth such settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice in the previous ten years." (Quoted from Wikipedia)
-Earhart Foundation - "Harry B. Earhart started the foundation in 1929 with the fortune he made with White Star Oil Company." (Quoted from Wikipedia) The Earhart Foundation also funds the George C. Marshall institute, another think tank that apposes global warming.

So 3 connections to the oil industry and a fraudulent pharmaceutical company. Sorry seems fishy to me. :shrug: I can understand why the EPA suppressed such a document.

Anything else you can show me?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (02/05/10 01:56 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #358073 - 02/05/10 02:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
:facepalm:  I dont even know where to begin with this thread.  So i will put it shortly.  There can really be no debate about human's contributions to our environment effecting it in a negative way.  Look at the way we completely exploit a resource and then move on to the next one.  That's been going on since well before the industrial revolution.  The scientific community doesn't view this as something that's debatable.  The media outlets love to make it something that can be questioned.  Money will make people say anything.  Yes, extinction is necessary, so long as it's caused naturally.  Now, if the squid existed for 350 million years and now it'd dying (lets say hypothetically from increased water temperature in their habitat) surely we can attribute that rise in temperature to something, and i would suspect it would be from our actions over the last 200 years.  So, when we can partially attribute a life forms extinction to OUR behaviour then extinction is not a good thing as bats said, it'll fuck up our ecosystems and could eventually get back to us.  denying global warming is like being a prohibitionist.  throw out reason and science for political gain.  pffft!

Yes

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTomCollins

#358075 - 02/05/10 02:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
Here is another site you Global Warming Priests should look at

I just read it. That looks like more of some ones opinion than anything based on actual fact.

Here's what the author had to say about glaciers and the ice caps.

Quote:

Most Global Warming reports claim that the worlds glaciers are shrinking - but 90% of the total ice mass actually growing.

...over 90% of the Earth's ice is located in non-moving ice caps - and these are increasing mass.

I don't think this is correct.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Isn't extinction a good thing? [Re: TomCollins]
    #358076 - 02/05/10 02:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So rather than debate the science you attack the messenger :super:

there is no real solid evidence either way TBH
this issue kinda like God you can't prove nor disprove either theory.

In my eyes if there is no concrete proof of something
only speculation and assumptions based on skewed numbers

then I tend to not believe the theory :sorry:

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineTomCollins

#358083 - 02/05/10 02:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
So rather than debate the science you attack the messenger :super:

I don't understand? The evidence your using to support your assertions is flawed. I'm simply pointing this out. I'm not attacking anyone, your posting information that is itself very flawed and twisted.

Accusing me of attacking you, when merely all I've done is just read what you posted seems to be a little over the top to be quite honest.

Quote:

niteowl said:there is no real solid evidence either way TBH

This is not what you said earlier.

Quote:

niteowl said:this issue kinda like God you can't prove nor disprove either theory.

However, in my opinion, there is more scientific evidence to suggest he does not exist than there is to support that he does. I'm sure you disagree. :rolleyes:

If someone showed me evidence of gods existence, my opinion would be different.

Quote:

niteowl said:In my eyes if there is no concrete proof of something
only speculation and assumptions based on skewed numbers

then I tend to not believe the theory :sorry:

I have yet to see evidence for your belief. :shrug:

Still very open to the idea though. I'm not difficult to convince.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Isn't extinction a good thing? [Re: THEBats]
    #358101 - 02/05/10 02:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Here's another article.

# CO2 emissions began to increase significantly after 1946 and are still rising. Therefore, according to the IPCC, global atmospheric temperatures should continue to increase. However, temperatures stopped increasing in 2001.

# The global temperature increase up to today is primarily a recovery from the “Little Ice Age” that earth experienced from 1400 to 1800. This rise peaked in 2000.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Isn't extinction a good thing? [Re: TomCollins]
    #358105 - 02/05/10 02:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

do you have THEbats on ignore or something :confused:

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #358106 - 02/05/10 02:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

#1) wrong. 2001 was not the stop of the warming. wtf is that even supposed to mean? 6 out of the 10 warmest years EVER RECORDED have been since 2001. I don't have any idea where you're getting that stat from, you could not be further from the truth

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20100121/
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/

#2) Look at this graph. a recovery from the "little ice age" (known by smart people as the maunder minimum, a 75 year period in the late 1600s which attributes its low temperatures to a lack of sunspots) was temporary and completely unrelated to current warming. the graphs relevant to this discussion display the hockey stick shape, you'll see right around the turn of the century global mean temperatures take a dramatic turn upwards. coincidentally this perfectly coincides with the Industrial Revolution, which is when anthropogenic CO2 emissions really began

And niteowl- there aren't enough days in a year to address all the erroneous and illiterate science you're attempting to spew at us

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Isn't extinction a good thing? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #358128 - 02/05/10 03:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I question all of the data proposed by Global Warming nuts.

Since they all have a reputation of bending data to their favor

Quote:

Over the past two decades, they say, "the percentage of [Canadian] stations in the lower elevations tripled and those at higher elevations, above 300 feet, were reduced in half."

The result, they say, is a warmer-than-truthful global temperature record.

"NOAA... systematically eliminated 75% of the world's stations with a clear bias towards removing higher latitude, high altitude and rural locations, all of which had a tendency to be cooler," the authors say. "The thermometers in a sense, marched towards the tropics, the sea, and to airport tarmacs."

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=2465893

Quote:

It has been claimed that the emails show that scientists manipulated data to bolster their argument that global warming is genuine and is being caused by human actions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/6619796/Climate-scientists-accused-of-manipulating-global-warming-data.html

Anytime the government is hardcore FOR something I question it....

Did you believe the swine flu hype too ?

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#358248 - 02/05/10 10:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If we destroy some part of the food chain or ecosystem, it WILL recover and correct itself... When a species becomes over or underpopulated, the rest of the web reacts quickly, causing growth in other areas of life. 

The truly arrogant thing is that we consider events which impact humans negatively as bad for the entire planet.  The population of all living things on Earth is known to have been practically 0 at multiple times in history, and it still recovers.  This place is perfect for life.
  Humans are even fragile and at danger, maybe not of extinction, but of again becoming much more marginalized in the global scheme.  We're one high energy gamma burst, celestial impact or other major global event from rubbing sticks together again.

And even if the entire solar system crashes into some other heavenly body in a flurry of molten energy, is the universe upset about it?

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Isn't extinction a good thing? [Re: DudeTron]
    #358249 - 02/05/10 10:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hence why I stated such.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#358255 - 02/05/10 11:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm pretty sure what you stated was wrong

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#358260 - 02/05/10 11:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Extinction can be a good thing in the long term, but in the short term an extinction, at least in the manner we are accelerating it, can cause the collapse of an ecosystem and cause not just one species to become extinct but many.

Life will continue though so really are only concern for extinction lies in our own selfish needs and desires.  People are constantly concerned for polar bears but they serve but one small part in the big picture.

What did I state wrong?

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (02/05/10 11:43 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #358269 - 02/05/10 11:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

are vs. our.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#358294 - 02/06/10 12:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

THEBats said:
Extinction can be a good thing in the long term, but in the short term an extinction, at least in the manner we are accelerating it, can cause the collapse of an ecosystem and cause not just one species to become extinct but many.

Life will continue though so really are only concern for extinction lies in our own selfish needs and desires.  People are constantly concerned for polar bears but they serve but one small part in the big picture.

What did I state wrong?

well I clearly wasn't responding to that post now was I?

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#358300 - 02/06/10 01:27 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
I question all of the data proposed by Global Warming nuts.

Since they all have a reputation of bending data to their favor

You consider NASA scientists to be "global warming nuts?" They "ALL" have a reputation of bending data?

How far do you have to reach into your asshole to get this information? (No offense)

Here's another quote from your article that you posted:
Quote:

"NASA has not been involved in any manipulation of climate data used in the annual GISS global temperature analysis," he said. "The agency is confident of the quality of this data and stands by previous scientifically-based conclusions regarding global temperatures."

Niteowl, you bewilder me! You say this is some government conspiracy, yet all the information you've posted that apposes global warming is some how directly related either to the oil industry or political organizations. Then when I point it out, you sort of pretend I didn't say anything, and make the same assertions.

Also, seriously, I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I just read what you post!

Quote:

THEBats said:
Here's another article.

This is a pretty valid point, however Harry posted data that contradicts this and it also comes from a reliable source. Regardless, it does show that there are legitimate reasons for doubt.

Edited by TomCollins (02/06/10 01:53 AM)

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#358354 - 02/06/10 07:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

THEBats said:

What did I state wrong?

well I clearly wasn't responding to that post now was I?

Perhaps you should learn to use the reply function and there wouldn't be this confusion.  I was responding to DudeTron who was responding to that particular post.  You then responded to my post.  In the context of the conversation, yes that's the post you were responding to.  Also I didn't state anything I merely posted information from an article. Never stated that I believe the information.  In fact I said in my others posts we are not helping and accelerating the process. 
Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
are vs. our.

:shakefist:

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (02/06/10 07:57 AM)

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#358381 - 02/06/10 10:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
#1) wrong. 2001 was not the stop of the warming. wtf is that even supposed to mean? 6 out of the 10 warmest years EVER RECORDED have been since 2001. I don't have any idea where you're getting that stat from, you could not be further from the truth

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20100121/
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/

#2) Look at this graph. a recovery from the "little ice age" (known by smart people as the maunder minimum, a 75 year period in the late 1600s which attributes its low temperatures to a lack of sunspots) was temporary and completely unrelated to current warming. the graphs relevant to this discussion display the hockey stick shape, you'll see right around the turn of the century global mean temperatures take a dramatic turn upwards. coincidentally this perfectly coincides with the Industrial Revolution, which is when anthropogenic CO2 emissions really began

And niteowl- there aren't enough days in a year to address all the erroneous and illiterate science you're attempting to spew at us

I'd also like to pose the question on how we are getting reliable global temperature data as far back as 1700.  If we're just using atmospheric composition tests through drilling ice cores then are we simply concluding that atmospheric composition has a direct correlation with global mean temperature?

Also last year also broke records as far as low temperatures go.

Seem to have found a graph that represents what they were talking about perhaps.

Here's the article it came from.

http://www.populartechnology.net/2010/01/global-cooling-in-2009.html

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (02/06/10 11:02 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag