Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChapter 4

How I take cuttings, very easy and fast. * 1
    #128764 - 10/04/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i use this method for many different plants at the farm, and i tried it with MJ and it works very fast!

anyway here is how i did it and got roots in 4-6 days.

materials
Plastic cups (or similar)
coco coir
pumice (crushed. perlite probably works equally as well)
cuttings
rooting hormone
sharp knife
some poop for ferts.

Mix your substrate together.  I like to mix in 60/40 coco/pumice.  this gives lots of airflow and stays very humid and moist, but not soggy....very nice for young cuttings.  i also throw in a teaspoon or so (per 1 liter) of pellet chicken poo fertilizer (low NPK).  your choice on which to use, if any.

i then fill the cup and tap them on a table to settle it down a bit.  i mix all my substrates wet so its not dusty (unhealthy) and so i dont need to water...i just simply fill a bucket of water and put the coco block into it.  once all soaked and expanded, i squeeze most of the water out with my hand and put it in a bucket to mix with the ferts/pumice.

I use 600ml cups...use what you have....i prefer non see through, but see through you can see the roots....dark roots is better though.

First choose a branch you want to cut.  Mine are all small, only 2-3", but with other plant species i take anywhere from 1-15" cuttings with the same method.

this one is one that is going to be a cutting.

Cut the lower leaves off.  i like to leave only 2 small leaves at the top.  leaves loose moisture, there are no roots yet to give the plant more moisture...so it dehydrates easily with large leaves.  cut the lower ones....same procedure for shipping plants.  if you have larger cuttings and leave more/larger leaves on it will start growing faster once rooted cause there is more leaf surface area...bu there is also more chance of dehydration and possibly death.  when i used to leave large leaves on, say 4-6, on various plants (Such as Tabernaemontana), i would have about 80% success....leaving the 2 top small ones on i get 95-100% success...but growth is slower for a week or two.

once the leaves are cut off, cut a fresh slice off the bottom of the stem, this makes a fresh cut for the rooting hormone....if your slow like me its a little important....if your quick it may not matter so much.

dip in some rooting hormone....choose whatever brad you like...this is a local brand that rocks.  roots cuttings of most types very well!!!

then take a finger and poke a hole in the cups soil.  just go deep enough for the cuttings leaves to be a cm or 2 (more if cutting is long) above the soil.

fill in hole.

place another cup upside down on the new cutting.  this keeps humidity high and keeps the cutting hydrated while it develops roots.  ceran wrap and other stuff works, but i like more air space.  with other plants that I'm taking lots of cuttings at one time i use trays, with the same method.  Just easier to carry a tray with 100 cuttings than 100 cups.  do what works good for you.

few done

place under your veg lights. i use 24/0 right now for veg and they seem to like it.  these are under 120 watts of cfl 6500K with a fan blowing the heat up.

5 days later they are like this.  i give a tiny light very careful tug to see if they have roots...here they do.

i dont normally touch them, but for a picture i pulled this one up.  5 days from cutting and these roots have formed.  not huge, but a decent start.

my climate now is 85-90F and lights are on 24/7.  works great for me, hopefully others can get some clones easily as well :smile:

peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I take cuttings, very easy and fast. [Re: Chapter 4]
    #128837 - 10/04/08 05:04 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hey man, thanks for sharing your approach, you laid it out very well. You definitely need to go post this on the main site as well; just find the right folder to create it as a new article, and the rest is as easy as posting is. :wink:

Your approach is pretty similar to how we have been taking clones. We use pure coco and leave about one more set of leaves on the cuttings, but we cut the tips off to lessen transpiration. I think you definitely got more roots quicker though. :grin:

Just took two cuttings tonight, in fact - got two phenotypes half-way through flowering that are looking like we'd really regret not being able to grow again. :lol:

The great thing about taking clones mid-flower is that you get to top the nice, sugary bud right off. :smirk: :flyhigh:

--------------------

OfflineChapter 4

Re: How I take cuttings, very easy and fast. [Re: Sirius]
    #129165 - 10/05/08 12:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i used to use pure coco (and also had hydro style tables).  but i found sometimes if there was too much water, by accident, then it would be soggy and stem rot was more common.  giving the added pumice there is more air flow and things dont get soggy, so have not seen much stem rot at all anymore. 

when you leave more leaves on, do you mist or keep humidity high?  do the leaves wilt at all?

peace

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I take cuttings, very easy and fast. [Re: Chapter 4]
    #129229 - 10/05/08 03:15 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yep, from working with pure coco for germinating, it seems like it might hold a little too much water for things like germinating, and possibly clones (I'm thinking that you get a faster rooting time due to getting more air flow).

I use a dome over the clones and mist regularly to keep the humidity up. I also try to keep the levels of light reaching the clones lower. Never seen anything wilt. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I take cuttings, very easy and fast. [Re: Sirius]
    #129354 - 10/05/08 08:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Wow that looks like a great method! I'm going to try this with my next set of clones, I have only been having 80% ratios with my rapid rooters. thanks!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineChapter 4

Re: How I take cuttings, very easy and fast. [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #129428 - 10/05/08 11:42 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

10 clones so far and all have roots (i took another 6 4 days ago)

sirius...i too am having a little issues with pure coco and seeds....i've now given up on pure coco for seeds and cuttings cause too many went limp or rotted :frown:  but straight coco (with ferts)seems to grow plants pretty fast, including pot going by peoples logs.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag