Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Easy Butane Extraction
    #209992 - 03/29/09 02:33 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Easy Butane Extraction

Step 1: Build an extraction device

Butane extraction tubes come in a variety of flavors. I personally tend to avoid plastics like PVC and acrylic so I used a chrome bathroom sink fitting that has a threaded end and a non-threaded end.

For the top (threaded) end I used a galvanized cap that screwed onto my sink fitting. I then drilled a hole in the cap that fit the tip of my butane can.

The other end is just a piece of metal screen held on with a worm clamp, which is then covered by a coffee filter secured with a rubber band.

Be sure to look into the reactivity of butane with any of the materials you decide to use while extracting because some materials can leech toxic substances into your final product. Also be sure to thoroughly wash all your equipment before use; preferable once with water and again with high purity alcohol.

Step 2: Prepare your supplies

You will need:
1x Flask (250ml)*1
1x Funnel
1x Can of butane *2 per extraction
~1oz Suitable plant material
1x Bowl *3
1x Final container *4
2x Oven mitts
1x Exacto Knife or pin
~2oz Alcohol *5

*1: Since I have access to a lab I use flasks but any kind of glass container will work, a mason jar would be perfect.
*2: The more pure the butane the better, look for quintuple or more refinements. Colibri and Vector are two that I know work well. Try to get the largest container available, I use 8oz.
*3: Big enough to hold hot water and your flask.
*4: Use a container at least three times the size of the expected final amount. For ~2 oz plant material, I used a 1oz final container. A screw cap is also advisable, they can be obtained at any smoke shop.
*5: High purity ethyl or isopropyl alcohol is used to rinse all equipment to remove residue after extraction.

(Don't mind the test tubes, they were not required.)

Step 3: Extraction

Fill the tube with your plant material. Gently knock the tube to settle the leaf matter but do not push it down because it will become to compact.

Proceed with extreme caution!
-Do all extraction outdoors or in a very well ventilated area.
-Beware of all fire and electrical sparks. Butane is highly explosive, even electric motors can cause ignition.
-Wear proper, snug fitting, attire that will not catch fire or obstruct movement.
-Keep a fire extinguisher on hand at all times.

I will assume no responsibility for personal injury or damage to property through the use of this technique. Proper consideration of all risks is imperative.

Replace the end cap and insert the butane nozzle. Position the screen end over the funnel inside your flask to collect the butane that pours out. Now depress the butane and hold it down until the can is depleted. (This next pic actually shows me using the plate evaporation method from an old attempt. Just imagine that its going into the flask instead of the pyrex dish. :stoned:)

Remember to wear your oven mitts, the tube and butane get very cold.

This is where I deviate from most other butane oil methods, I do my evaporation in a flask instead of an open dish. By not using a plate to evaporate, I don't have to scrape the THC oil up after evaporation. This method will also yeild more than the plate method because you invariably lose some while trying to collect it with a razor after evaporation.

Now we will place our butane filled flask in a hot water bath to evaporate most of the mixture. Do not evaporate all of the butane, leave enough to approximately fill your final container.

Pour the remaining oil into the final container.

You can now gently dip the final container into the hot water to speed up the evaporation, but be sure to avoid boil overs. I was inattentive and let the butane boil over at this stage but look at how pure of a THC polymer was suspended in the water!

After the butane stops bubbling in the hot water inside your container, you should set the vessel out overnight uncovered to ensure full evaporation.

Step 4: Enjoy your work

The final results are remarkably pure.

You can now proceed with smoking the oil any way you please. I suggest ash bongs and Hot knives. This stuff melts like honey! :inlove3:

**Use of this procedure may be illegal in your area, be sure to know your local laws before attempting**

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
Re: Easy Butane Extraction [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #209999 - 03/29/09 02:45 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup::thumbup: only thing i would change is not to use ANY metal, i've never had problems using plastics. it'll just take a static charge from ur finger to sit that shit off, i know, thats why i use plastics now.:lmafo: Perfect looking honey though.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy Butane Extraction [Re: bobby]
    #210002 - 03/29/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Eh, I stay away from plastics because some of them can be hazardous but here is a chart if you are interested.
Chemical resistance chart

Here is another document that talks about butane and PVC. Chemical Resistance PDF
Butane is cut off at the top of one of the pages but you can make out what it says. According to that chart only type I PVC is suitable to handle butane.

The ambiguity of the info on plastics has always scared me away from them...

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
    #210005 - 03/29/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i've been weary about of chems getting in my good stuff but that lil fire i started scared me away from using metal, thanks 4 the extra info on plastics.

--------------------

OfflineMasterHerbalist
MH:Jahsun
Male User Gallery

Loc: middle a
    #210020 - 03/29/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome job Dr. P!

Edited by MasterHerbalist (03/29/09 05:18 PM)

OfflineAKSE

Re: Easy Butane Extraction [Re: MasterHerbalist]
    #210771 - 03/31/09 08:13 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Very nice TEK.  So is that the final yield of 1oz plant material?  Or do you do a few washes and combine and evaporate?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy Butane Extraction [Re: AKSE]
    #211091 - 04/01/09 06:39 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I very seriously meant to weigh this batch but I forgot again... Also, my yield will be very low comparatively because I use trim instead of decent bud which would otherwise be used. I usually do multiple washes but that shouldn't affect my ability to weigh my final product.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineAKSE

#211214 - 04/01/09 06:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Right I follow you.  I guess what I'm asking is, for a general BHO extraction, do you suggest multiple washes or just one?  Or do you feel it varies between trim/bud (because of the potency)?.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy Butane Extraction [Re: AKSE]
    #211406 - 04/02/09 08:50 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Personal choice. If I wanted the best yield possible I would go with multiple washes, but the more washes you do the less THC you get per wash so its more costly (in butane and effort) to obtain a complete extraction than to do a single wash.

With trim I generally only do one wash because I wouldn't be smoking it anyway, so everything I get is a bonus. :smirk:

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

#257609 - 07/30/09 09:11 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Do you actually fill the tube? Is this really worth doing? I'd like some hash oil sometime if I had a very successful crop to make some all cannabis cigars. They look deadly. Is smoking this stuff on it's own nice?

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

Re: Easy Butane Extraction [Re: Buddy]
    #259382 - 08/04/09 12:15 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

my friend and i all call it POO-tane.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds