Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review * 2
    #531224 - 02/27/11 01:31 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

Hai guyz, I recently purchased a glass BHO tube from a user here (theNPC) who blows glass.  Here is my mini review of said tube.

The product arrived very well packaged.  While I would have preferred some styrofoam peanuts, or some more bubble wrap, the product was actually quite snug in the box.  I had to literally cut the box away to remove the tube.  I had placed the order, was told once payment had been verified product would be created and shipped.  Due to some snow storms in my area it took me an additional week to get the payment to theNPC.  He sent me one PM asking about payment, when I explained my situation he understood, told me to get to him when I could, and did not ask again about where his money was.  Finally I was able to get him the money, he accepts paypal, all I needed was to sign up and I could pay him using my debit card (no need to verify bank accounts or anything like that, 5 mins to register 20 seconds to pay).  Paypal informed me that they text sellers when a payment is made, I also sent him a PM here to inform him of payment.  The next day I received a PM back informing me that the tube would be shipped out on Monday (payment placed on a Sat night, no shipping on sunday).  Was told about 5-6 days for package to arrive, package arrived next Saturday with no issues.  Tube was not damaged.  Very happy with this here, excellent service and the product was delivered on time and as promised.

Here is the tube unfilled.  It has a ground glass joint which formed a perfect seal.  The cap has a small hole for the nozzle of the butane canister.  At the other end of the tube there is a slightly larger hole for the butane to drip out of.  I may wrap a coffee filter around the end next time, but I did not have any problems with the plant material sneaking out into the collection plate.

This is the tube filled.  When asked how much plant material could be used, I was told 3.5 grams.  Well, I ground up 3.5 grams and it fit just perfectly.  If I really smashed it down I may have fit another gram in there.  But I just lightly packed it so I didn't restrict the flow of the butane.  It is a slightly time consuming process, took me about 10-15 mins to grind and pack the tube.  Even if I did use a funnel (i just dropped it through the top with my fingers), you're still going to need something to pack it down here and there as the material gets clumped up in the tube.  I used the thicker end of a chop stick to pack it down.  Not a major deal, just went a little bit slower then I thought it would.

here's the tube after the run, the plant material contracted fairly quickly.  I'm not sure if this is normal, if I should have put more in, or what.  But the first pull was the only thing I think gave me my yield.  Once the material contracted I think there was too much air in the tube for a useful extraction.  I should mention that it was slightly difficult to get the plant material out.  Most of that was due to me as I compressed the material again to see how much room I had gained.  I used the chop stick again to loosen the material and tapped the tube lightly on the side of a plastic garbage can to help shake it out.  I think next time I will cut off a piece of a coathanger and use that without tamping the material down.  Will probably work a letter better then.

Aaaaand we finally get to what you really want to see which is the final product.  Using only 3.5 grams I knew I was not going to yield much, I didn't buy this to produce commercial amounts of BHO though, my goal was to have something that I could use now and then for a small personal stash.  I may have yielded a little more if I used some of my more potent buds, but trial runs I always stick to the stuff I don't care about losing.  The strain was OG18 x Skunk #1 (honestly I smoked a few bowls of it and I don't see myself using it for anything but hash or butter, ugh).  I obviously didn't purge the butane well enough because a.) I was a little impatient, b.) it's such a tiny amount and c.) I'm just testing things out for the moment and don't really care too much about removing all impurities.  Next time I will have a nice hot oil bath that my extraction plate will sit in and I'll possible re-dissolved in some ethanol for a final purge.

Haven't smoked any yet, but I'm about to.  The blurry pictures show how nice and golden this stuff is.  It produced a purer product then my hexane method does, but that's because of the type of hexane I use is not the best.  I imagine the potency is pretty similar, slightly better is my guess, then the hexane as well.  If I'm looking to produce a lot of oil, I'll stick with the hexane, if I just want a little bit to satisfy a craving this tube is a better choice.

All in all it was an excellent experience buying this from theNPC.  I paid 25$ for the tube, 2-3$ for shipping, and I threw him a couple of bucks to cover the CC merchant charge paypal charges you (I did this on my own accord, he did not ask me to pay this for him, I just think it's a crap charge for small sellers).  I'm sure a similar product in a head shop would retail for 30-50 dollars so it felt like a very fair price to me (plus I have not seen one personally in a headshop before).  He shipped when he said he would, product arrived when he said it would, was not harassed about non payment after placing the order, and the packaging and product arrived undamaged and well done.

I'll post back soon with a smoke report :smile:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: coda]
    #531234 - 02/27/11 02:05 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

that's legit as fuck.

great looking oil man.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #531236 - 02/27/11 02:09 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

Smoke report!

Next time I will definitely spend some effort in purging the BHO a bit more hehehe.  I packed a drop big enough for two solid hits on a very tiny pinch of weed (just enough to cover the hole).  Initial flavor was wonderful.  Just knocked out with that lovely, intense, hashy hit you get with oil.  Nice and flowery, went down very smooth with a slight tickle at the end.  Came up pretty harsh as most hash does with me, but the aftertaste was not very nice.  You get a hint of that initial flavor, but it's overtaken with a chemical harshness that could only be the butane or an impurity from the butane I used.  However it burned/melted beautifully, after the second hit I could tell that I was just finishing off the bud underneath.

All in all this is a great little tool for making some quick, personal sized portions, of BHO fairly quickly with minimal effort.  I will be on the look out for a smaller, square, collection plate for the next time as well as doing a much better purge to hopefully get rid of that chemical aftertaste.  I should also try using different butanes to see if that helps. 

I used Lucienne brand butane which claims it's "quadruple refined with near zero impurities", don't know anything about it besides it was the only thing they had in the size I wanted.

Quote:

that's legit as fuck.

great looking oil man.

Thanks!  I look forward to using this thing a lot hehehe, I'm fucking out of my mind right now :smile:  I guess I should mention that it was also the first thing I smoked all day so I definitely can get a good gauge on how strong it is :smile:

--------------------

Offlinethenpc
The Flameworker

#531277 - 02/27/11 05:28 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

It's normal for it to shrink like that but if you pack it a little more it wont compress as much.

I've found it to be the most efficient to fill and tap the tube against a surface to settle the material to a light pack (like packing cigs) and continue filling and repeat. (don't pack to much or it wont work and is hard to remove from the tube)

I also like to agitate the plant material with a wire from the bottom between sprays until it sprays clear.

Thanks so much for the review coda!

If anyone wants to :pm: me feel free, though I'm at school right now and it may take a bit to get to the studio.

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: thenpc]
    #531279 - 02/27/11 05:32 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

oh shit, so you're the npc he was talking about.

i tried thenpc.com and came across the northpoint church in new braunfels, tx.

:facepalm:

:pm: sent.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offlinethenpc
The Flameworker

Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: MFDoom666]
    #531290 - 02/27/11 05:52 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

MFDoom666 said:
oh shit, so you're the npc he was talking about.

i tried thenpc.com and came across the northpoint church in new braunfels, tx.

:facepalm:

:pm: sent.

lol, sorry for the mix up

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
    #531443 - 02/27/11 11:53 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

coda said:

All in all it was an excellent experience buying this from theNPC.  I paid 25$ for the tube, 2-3$ for shipping, and I threw him a couple of bucks to cover the CC merchant charge paypal charges you (I did this on my own accord, he did not ask me to pay this for him, I just think it's a crap charge for small sellers).  I'm sure a similar product in a head shop would retail for 30-50 dollars so it felt like a very fair price to me (plus I have not seen one personally in a headshop before).  He shipped when he said he would, product arrived when he said it would, was not harassed about non payment after placing the order, and the packaging and product arrived undamaged and well done.

I'll post back soon with a smoke report :smile:

Some shops carry them but keep them off of display.  I've seen really simple glass tubes made for bho runs for about $25 before, including larger sizes, but that sounds like a good price for yours.  Quality little piece-- I can't see having one larger than that either though I don't own one personally.  I think your estimation that yours would cost about $30-$50 is right on.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: Psuper]
    #533746 - 03/06/11 08:47 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Second Run Reveiew!

Ok, I unfortunately didn't take pictures but I wanted to update this a little bit with my impressions after my second run.

1.) I did not pack the material down enough before.  I used slightly more force when packing it down, used about 4 grams of bud, and I still had more room at the top.  So I must have not put enough pressure on the plant material before.  This allowed the butane to remain liquid for longer in the extraction tube and the plant material got a much better soak.  I also did not see that much of a contraction with my plant material as I did before.

2.) I must either buy a pair of cheap panty hose, or affix a small metal screen on the collection end of the tube.  This time around I did end up with some plant material in the collection dish.  I could probably also remedy this situation by placing a pea sized chunk of bud in the tube first to stop up the hole a little better.

3.) A couple good presses of the butane can is all you need.  I'd say it took about three hard presses of the can before I started seeing the butane come out the bottom.  Once that initial squirt of butane comes out (a nice amber yellow color) it turns clear pretty quickly.  It appears that anything after that is really just a waste, you may get some extra out of what's in the tube but it won't be much.

Unfortunately I fucked up at the end and a bunch of water splashed in my collection dish.  So again I wasn't able to get a good purge (although it was nifty to hear the butane boil off so fast when the water hit it heh).  I managed to salvage most of it and used a little iso to clean up the plate so I could get the stuff a blade missed.  Because of the water I yielded less, but because I had to spend time evaporating the water I think I purged it much better.  Doesn't have that chemically aftertaste now and it still hits as hard as a beast.

I definitely stand behind this thing, I have to put it in the top 5 of coolest pieces of paraphernalia I've purchased.  If you like a little oil now and then and prefer the butane route, I would send theNPC a PM and get one.  I'm thinking of asking about making a more custom tube to fit a bit more material in there for larger runs, but this one is producing enough oil for me to keep me happy :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

#533750 - 03/06/11 09:16 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

i'm about to get one here once i get my money.

can't wait to smoke some dank ass earl.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #533770 - 03/06/11 09:58 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Does anyone know of a place where I can get something similar to this that would do at least 14 grams? An ounce would be optimal.

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: DungenessDank]
    #533772 - 03/06/11 10:01 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

ask theNPC, he's good at what he does.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#533775 - 03/06/11 10:08 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

The glass on glass top piece is exactly the kind of shit I've been looking for.

Gonna PM this nig.

Offlinethenpc
The Flameworker

#533791 - 03/06/11 11:12 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Bigger ones I've made were less efficient but due to you guys wanting it, I'm going to do some R&D for bigger tubes.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #534069 - 03/06/11 09:21 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

my god this is amazing...as soon as i get money im getting me one :awecid:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: Data]
    #534371 - 03/07/11 05:50 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

It seriously is fucking awesome.  The only problem with it is that you want to use it a lot and it will chew through an oz pretty quickly if you like smoking lots of oil.

Luckily for me the words "shortage" mean nothing to me in the cannabis world muahahaha.

Even if you just want it once in a while this tube will be almost always be better then anything you can build from spare parts.  I've made a couple of homemade tubes and all have been shit compared to this.  If there is going to be a larger version available I'll be first in line with my cash hehehe.

--------------------

Offlinethenpc
The Flameworker

#534452 - 03/07/11 10:35 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

Pretty sure I can make one double the capacity but I'm not sure anymore then that.

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#535062 - 03/09/11 05:56 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Look at those bubble in your final product.
Learn to filter it better.
You really need a Chromatography Column, but you can do it by other means.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #535065 - 03/09/11 06:27 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

It has nothing to do with filtering, it just needs to be purged.

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#535115 - 03/09/11 10:23 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
It has nothing to do with filtering, it just needs to be purged.

you haven't had much experience in the field i see. Nice big word.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

Edited by Ero42oH2o (03/09/11 10:30 AM)

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#535125 - 03/09/11 10:53 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Well with all your experience please explain to the uneducated masses, why by those pictures you would say the bubbles are from plant-matter based contaminants, and not from the butane trapped inside the unpurged oil?

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

#535128 - 03/09/11 10:58 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Ero42oH2o said:
Chromatography

nice big word.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#535131 - 03/09/11 11:10 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Seperating liquids from a mixture in previous experiments has shown me that bubbles in your final stew is bad.
Yes purging is a good try,
you probably mean the iso, and a few drops of h2o then oil bath,
or over heat in a vacuum.

This still tastes like butane on the second hit.
And yes it could be a wax(plant contam)as some strains react different to the purging process leaving a butter waxy looking product rather than a clear goo.

The chromatography seperation I hear is the way to go to test clean,
in analysis.

--------------------

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#535132 - 03/09/11 11:13 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:
BHO is the shit. A easy way to get it to a easy handled texture is just to let it sit. After you evap put a heating pad underneath it on high to purge. Go to bed or do something. The longer you cook it like that the more it hardens and its good because it ensures all the butane is gone.

BHO is better then Bubble in my eyes.. I like using solvents more to make my stuff.. All though I wouldn't mind getting a bubble bag + washer unit so I can make a large amount of bubble with out the work that goes into it.

Oh yeah and I use Vector Quintuple Purified Butane. Its good stuff.

I hope thats not your idea of purging.

--------------------

Edited by Ero42oH2o (03/09/11 02:07 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #535262 - 03/09/11 05:18 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Look at those bubble in your final product.
Learn to filter it better.

You really didn't even bother to read my post did you?
Quote:

I obviously didn't purge the butane well enough because a.) I was a little impatient, b.) it's such a tiny amount and c.) I'm just testing things out for the moment and don't really care too much about removing all impurities.

Quote:

Next time I will have a nice hot oil bath that my extraction plate will sit in and I'll possible re-dissolved in some ethanol for a final purge.

Quote:

You really need a Chromatography Column, but you can do it by other mean

Oh yah, let me reach into my back pocket and pull out my 10-20 K and the Chemistry degree that I don't have.

Seriously bud, you need to come down off your high horse here (no pun intended) and start contributing more to this forum other than shit talking with nothing to back it up.  I see you post a lot about we're all doing it wrong and your methods are so much better, but yet, I see no teks, no pictures, nothing from you in this area that would help others and possibly not make yourself look like a complete douche bag.

--------------------

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#535304 - 03/09/11 07:39 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Sorry,
I am passionate about pure hash oil. Very pure, and you noticed the problems i did in my quest to make good hash oil. I was excited and sounded, was, a bit over bearing.

If we all try different things, and are pushed by our peers in a common direction we can have the recipe for the best oil ever.

Some of the best i've made were extracting everthing with Iso, then adding Et20 and some distilled h2o to create the seperation.
Remove the top layer, and evap, or you can isomerized with hydrochloric acid. 

Or if you like butane so much.
Kief all your material, to shit, and decarb in the oven.
Exhaust a can or two of butane into a mason, and add all the kief(or hash)
Filter with your preferred micron size, or coffee filter.
Evaporate Solvent
* And clean with your preffered method

way bigger yield, less possibility of plant material, and no pressurized bomb in your hand, just watch for sparks.

Or you can take water hash, all microns,and re liquify with Iso, Filter in 25 mic or less, and evap.
Looks like Heroin, melts like butane, just h2o and Iso only.

food for thought

--------------------

Offlinespencaman01
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #551622 - 04/28/11 12:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I highly recomed one of these tubes, I purchased two and they arrived yesterday here are the results from about a quarter of highgrade kush trim

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: spencaman01]
    #551630 - 04/28/11 01:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

spencaman01 said:

Great first post Spencaman! That pics going to be nominated in the POTM poll.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Offlinespencaman01
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Glass BHO Extraction Tube: Product Review [Re: Psuper]
    #551652 - 04/28/11 03:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Great first post Spencaman! That pics going to be nominated in the POTM poll.

wow thanks, I'm honored! haha I'll try and get some more up soon!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order