Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenewpala21
stoned smoker

Re: coco med and nutris ?s [Re: PapaKush]
    #455566 - 08/05/10 06:31 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
Forget about everything you're working with right now for one minute and answer these questions for me.

How big a space are you working with?

What light(s) are you using?

Are you only growing one plant or many plants?

What size pot(s) are you using?

Are you having one full season chamber or separate veg and flower chambers?

Do you have a pH test kit or meter?

We literally know nothing except what you've told us. We know you don't have everything to complete the soil mix you desire, but you are steaming ahead anyway. You didn't confirm for us what ratios you mixed your bone and blood meal. We just know that you've mixed some of it together.

You should slow down and get everything prepared before you jump in or you're just going to sink my friend. I too was recently a father and I can appreciate how it affects spending, but like any hobby, indoor gardening has certain expenses.

You should mix all the ingredients together at one time, and ensure you have all the ingredients that you need. Let them sit together for a week or so, mixing it up occasionally.

Adding organic soil to your mix in a ratio of MINIMUM 50/50 will give you a buffer and give you the added benefits of coco aeration but also changes the amounts of other ingredients needed in your soil mix.

Proper planning is necessary to achieve large and dank yields in any medium. Help us help you.

-ok my space is pretty big about 8x7x8

-lights- i got all cfl's, 3 100(23)watt with 6500k, 2 verilux at 13 watts themselves with 6500k( they produce a daylight spectrum of light and theyre meant for plants, so it says on the box). 1 75(19) watt with 5500k, and one tube light left over from a mushie grow at 23watt itself with 6500k.

-yes im only growing one plant at a time

-for a pot i got this old container from an old cooler, its basicaly a storage bin. its 13in long, 13in high, and 10in across. i drilled holes in the bottom and put a thin layer of perlite( bout .5in) at the bottom of it.

-yes im only doing a 1 season room.

- for a ph tester i got a high grade water tester kit for my fish tank, its all liquids, just fill the tester tube and add the proper testing chemical. it can test for ph, ammonia, high range ph, nitrates nitrites.

- as for what i mixed already, i used 1 whole brick of coir, about an equal amount of perlite( didnt measure just added till it looked evenly mixed )a cup of bloodmeal and a 1.5cup of bonemeal.

thats everything i used/did as in mixing, and yes u r right boss i did kinda just rush in, got alittle excited there and yes plz help me help myself lololol :crazy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: coco med and nutris ?s [Re: newpala21]
    #455577 - 08/05/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ok so you've got about 7 CFLs with a total 137 watts. This much light is about enough to throw into a 2x4 or 3x4 space and provide enough light to grow mothers and clones but even one plant with all this light crammed around it as close as possible will still provide only a small yield for you.

My advice to you, hearing that you have a young family, is to really think about this. If you get busted your family will be torn apart all over one small plant in a big ass room. Risking your family over one plant is NOT worth it for the yield you will get just go buy yourself an ounce.

This now is just risk management. If you are THAT convinced that growing weed is what you MUST do with yourself, as it is for myself and many others, I really urge you to DO IT RIGHT. You've been reading for 5 days. Keep reading. Learn as much as you can before you involve yourself in this hobby. I just want you to be a safe cultivator. Rushing in and doing things without thinking everything through is where horror stories begin.

--------------------

Offlinenewpala21
stoned smoker

#455597 - 08/05/10 07:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

well u make a very damn good valid point my man and thank u for showing the concern. i have considered that and all the repercusions aswell. well i hear ya on just go by an oz but the shit, the good shit, is like 4-500$ and im not trying to pay that. i wasnt really goin for a monster plant, just want something kinda small to give/produce alittle for personal. i dont need several oz out of it. if i could just possibly get a qt id be completely happy with that out come.
  ok maybe my space is smaller than what i described, but its not that big but anyways ya im just trying to get a small pers plant nothing huge with high yeilds..
  again thank u for the concern much appreciated

Offlinenewpala21
stoned smoker

#455615 - 08/05/10 07:35 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

hey papakush u got an opinion on the worm castings tea on weather or not i should let it sit in the sun while its bubbling or will it be fine inside the house. its like 75 to 80 depending on the day, by the way right now its in a spot bubbling that gets no light unless i turn the lights on and the waters pretty cold too

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Re: coco med and nutrients ?s [Re: newpala21]
    #455670 - 08/05/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I think your tea will be fine as it is. I have always made teas indoors, as I've never been a landowner. In fact I do all of my processes indoors and haven't come across too many pitfalls.

I have a friend who uses a spinning compost bin in his high rise apartment without issue. He also has a worm farm indoors with terrific results. One way to get your own worm castings is to get your own worms. These two options give you excellent tea to use that drains out of the bottom.

--------------------

Offlinenewpala21
stoned smoker

Re: coco med and nutrients ?s [Re: PapaKush]
    #456341 - 08/07/10 12:14 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

ok i jus went and stirred my mixture of the coir, blood n bonemeal with the worm castings in it and i couldnt help but notice that there was a noticeable amount of heat that got released when i stirred it ande the weirder part was that it kinda smelled like ammonia,so i thought, now im not sure if this is common or not but anybody ever had similar encounters with this, any opinions or is everything going fine. by the way, its been sitting doing its thing for 3days now and gets plenty of air exchange. thnx all

Offlinenewpala21
stoned smoker

#456344 - 08/07/10 12:19 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
I think your tea will be fine as it is. I have always made teas indoors, as I've never been a landowner. In fact I do all of my processes indoors and haven't come across too many pitfalls.

I have a friend who uses a spinning compost bin in his high rise apartment without issue. He also has a worm farm indoors with terrific results. One way to get your own worm castings is to get your own worms. These two options give you excellent tea to use that drains out of the bottom.

just wanna make sure on this before i doit, is the drainage ok to rewater with in the same day after it has drained out or just dump it, in other wards, water let drain and then use the drainage to rewater or is that one wqtering good enough

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#456460 - 08/07/10 05:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Double watering is great. It gives your medium a chance to absorb a larger percentage of total water and avoids creating dry pockets within the root zone. I would recommend waiting 3-6 hours before the second watering.

Just make sure you keep the pH right.

--------------------

Offlinenewpala21
stoned smoker

#456558 - 08/07/10 08:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
Double watering is great. It gives your medium a chance to absorb a larger percentage of total water and avoids creating dry pockets within the root zone. I would recommend waiting 3-6 hours before the second watering.

Just make sure you keep the pH right.

hey papa u got an opinion on my mixture havin a heat build up, i assumed its from the bacteria breaking down the goodies, but then like i said it seemed like there was an odor of ammonia coming from my soil, atleast thats what it smelled like to me...
    on another note i went to home depot to get sulfate of potash or jersey greensand cause the lady i talked to yesterday said they had both of those. now i went there today and asked the garden mngr were it was and guess what, the bitch lied, they didnt have either one, but on the upside i got " espoma plant-tone" now heres the contents of it.
-total N 5%
  .5% ammoniacal N
  .5% other water soluble N
  4.0% water insoluble N
  - available phosphate(P205) 3.0%
  - soluble potash(K20) 3.0%
  -calcium 3.0%
  -total MG .5%
  0.3 water soluble MG
  -sulfur 1.0%
    1.0% combined sulfur
  -boron 0.02%
  -chlorine 0.1%
  -cobalt 0.0005%
  -total copper 0.05%
  -total iron 1.0%
  -total manganese .05%
    0.01%  water soluble manganese
  -molybdenum  0.0005%
  - sodium 0.1%
  - total zinc 0.05%

potential acidity equivalent to 80lbs CA CO3 per ton.

derived from: dehydrated manure, feather manure, crab meal, corn gluten, bone meal, dried blood, sunflower meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, greensand, rock phosphate, sulfate of potash, sulfate of magnesia, and humates.

5% of N, 3% of phosphate, and 1% of potash is natural organic

plant-tone is a complete plant food. it contains all the essential plant nutrients.

now thats everything it list as far as ingredients, my question is since they didnt have just potash of any kind or greensand will this be ok and just fine to use since i didnt have potassium in my mix or is this gonna spike my levels of goodness since i already added bone n bloodmeal to my medium (using coir wit perlite mixed in it).    any opinion will do to who reads this. thnx all

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#456615 - 08/07/10 10:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What you bought today is not suitable to use to create the mix you want.

Here's what I suggest you do. If you haven't realized yet that working with coco gets complicated REAL FAST, realize it NOW! You have spent all this time and effort and all you keep doing is running into issues.

Let me help you be successful. You're a first time grower. You're over excited at the prospect of growing your own crop. I get that. I been there. But what you need to do is get a concrete plan together. You need to get every piece of the puzzle before you can put it together properly.

This is what I see; I see a man falling down a rabbit hole after stumbling into it blindfolded.

Having a new family is stressful enough without the added stress of a complicated first grow. Do yourself a favor and bail on the coco idea. For $20 you can buy a big bag of organic soil and get your first grow started without having to worry about all the small details.

I really think it will benefit you to learn first with soil and then maybe you will have the experience you need to work with coco coir by your next season.

My opinion is that no matter what you do if you start with coco you are doomed to fail. You simply will be spending too much time surfing forums trying to figure out what the brown spots are or why your leaves are yellow and not spending that time with your new family. With soil you can rest easy knowing that as long as your water's pH is good, your plants are probably happy.

If you build your own veg/flower soils with organic ingredients its like those damn infomercials, "set it and forget it". Just add pH balanced water.

With coir, you practically have to bust out your science kit everytime your plants get thirsty just to prevent future disaster.

Ultimately it's up to you, but quot trying to cut corners with substitute ingredients. Either get all the right ingredients or don't bother at all.

--------------------

Offlinenewpala21
stoned smoker

#456999 - 08/08/10 08:18 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
What you bought today is not suitable to use to create the mix you want.

Here's what I suggest you do. If you haven't realized yet that working with coco gets complicated REAL FAST, realize it NOW! You have spent all this time and effort and all you keep doing is running into issues.

Let me help you be successful. You're a first time grower. You're over excited at the prospect of growing your own crop. I get that. I been there. But what you need to do is get a concrete plan together. You need to get every piece of the puzzle before you can put it together properly.

This is what I see; I see a man falling down a rabbit hole after stumbling into it blindfolded.

Having a new family is stressful enough without the added stress of a complicated first grow. Do yourself a favor and bail on the coco idea. For $20 you can buy a big bag of organic soil and get your first grow started without having to worry about all the small details.

I really think it will benefit you to learn first with soil and then maybe you will have the experience you need to work with coco coir by your next season.

My opinion is that no matter what you do if you start with coco you are doomed to fail. You simply will be spending too much time surfing forums trying to figure out what the brown spots are or why your leaves are yellow and not spending that time with your new family. With soil you can rest easy knowing that as long as your water's pH is good, your plants are probably happy.

If you build your own veg/flower soils with organic ingredients its like those damn infomercials, "set it and forget it". Just add pH balanced water.

With coir, you practically have to bust out your science kit everytime your plants get thirsty just to prevent future disaster.

Ultimately it's up to you, but quot trying to cut corners with substitute ingredients. Either get all the right ingredients or don't bother at all.

well again my good sir you have a valid point about it being time consuming, so should i try and locate or order some ff organic soil or would some miracle grow organic soil work just fine for the crop.  thanx for taking time to explain and slap alittle sense into me about this operation as i do have a tendency to be an impulser on such things, u should be a motivational speaker lol. also will that soil itself be enough or am i gonna need some other stuff besides what i have,or will the soil be plentiful  for the duration of the grow till it is harvested... thnx all

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

#457032 - 08/08/10 09:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ok man I started you a new thread! <-- click there :p

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck