Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAcidHorse
Stranger

Seedlings with 2 seed leafs and 2 regular that are 7 days old
    #780556 - 05/30/15 01:51 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Due to light deficiency my seedlings are long legged. I can't find my fluorescent light due to boxed up stuff. I want to do something outside. But that's where I'm stuck. I've read where people say that they can't use direct sunlight just yet and others that say they need more light to keep them from getting skinny or long legged. So I'm thinking if you put them outside where they can get some full sun, take a gallon milk jug and slice the bottom off with a razor blade, then take off the milk jug cap its not needed, then cover the plants with the milk jug. This will split up the light rays and create diffuse light and the cap being off will allow airflow. Holes in the side of the milk jug will also help with airflow. However I would need to hear from other; way more experienced, growers who also have tried this to see if its a good way to protect the seedlings from way too much light. But with seedlings its said to wait until they become slightly root bound before transplanting but I'd rather get them out of the house before that time just to get them more light and get them growing faster.
I have mine in styrofoam cups. To avoid damaging or slicing the roots on hard plastic edges.
I have holes in the sides and bottom and also wonder if I could just
Swiss cheese the styrofoam and put the cup into the ground and let the roots break the styrofoam apart in loose dirt at least once the roots get big and the plant gets larger. So is that a possibility?

I could use a small amount of acetone on a Q-tip to create holes in the styrofoam cup. Acetone is a natural chemical produced in animals, plants and even humans. Microscopic trace amounts would wash away with watering.

Edited by AcidHorse (05/30/15 01:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAcidHorse
Stranger

Re: Seedlings with 2 seed leafs and 2 regular that are 7 days old [Re: AcidHorse]
    #780561 - 05/30/15 02:18 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineAcidHorse
Stranger

Re: Seedlings with 2 seed leafs and 2 regular that are 7 days old [Re: AcidHorse]
    #780564 - 05/30/15 02:45 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone#Environmental_effects
Environmental effects

Although acetone occurs naturally in the environment in plants, trees, volcanic gases, forest fires, and as a product of the breakdown of body fat,[35] the majority of the acetone released into the environment is of industrial origin. Acetone evaporates rapidly, even from water and soil. Once in the atmosphere, it has a 22-day half-life and is degraded by UV light via photolysis (primarily into methane and ethane.[36]) Consumption by microorganisms contributes to the dissipation of acetone in soil, animals, or waterways.[35] The LD50 of acetone for fish is 8.3 g/L of water (or about 1%) over 96 hours, and its environmental half-life in water is about 1 to 10 days. Acetone may pose a significant risk of oxygen depletion in aquatic systems due to the microbial consumption.[37]

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #780568 - 05/30/15 03:25 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Acetone is a powerful solvent. If you must use styrofoam try using a hot piece of metal instead.

Sounds like your over thinking things. A plastic container would work fine instead of foam. 

They make small peat pots that are made to break apart in the ground like that.

If you have a 26w CFL light bulb and can get that within a foot of the seedling you'll be fine, even if it does stretch a little.

Inside the house in a sunny window should be fine for a few more days till it gets ready to transplant.

Put a little fan oscillating around it to make it strengthen itself before it grows upright.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineAcidHorse
Stranger

Re: Seedlings with 2 seed leafs and 2 regular that are 7 days old [Re: phychotron]
    #780570 - 05/30/15 04:39 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I want to get them outside now. I'm wondering if the milk jug is a good idea.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#780632 - 05/31/15 12:37 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I think I'd be more worried about heat accumulating in the milk jug than the direct sunlight. Why can't you put them in the direct sunlight again?

You could probably just take out the whole bottom of the cup if the soil isn't too loose.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds