Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Yrat]
    #254305 - 07/24/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I am running 4  100w equiv. CFL's with 1600 lumens each, and a 24'' fluro thats 1093 and a grow light.  also, lanky bushy plant in the far right corner showed its sex.  2/6 female now.  :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #255064 - 07/25/09 06:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Woo.  all 3 big plants are now female!  3/6 lets keep the girls comin! :rasta::heart::stoned:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#255305 - 07/26/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Damn. these bitches are poppin pistils left and right.  4/6 female.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#255920 - 07/27/09 03:24 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

alright another update.  first of all, moved to 8000 lumens of 2700k cfl light for flowering. (lights placed around and above plants for optimal light penetration to every part of my plants).

i lost one plant due to careless friend shredding every leaf and shoot off of it (it was in my bag, was going to be a gift to someone but they couldnt keep it. good thing it was only 2-3 inches tall due to its whole life being in the bottom 1/4 of a 20oz bottle waiting on my friend to take it). so i only have 5 plants now.  all 5 of which are female. woooooooooooooo :stoned:

A clean female run from bag seeds.  what are the chances of that?

Imma move to flowering after i take a few clones  :headbanger:

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/27/09 03:30 AM)

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #256073 - 07/27/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds good! But why did a friend shred all the leaves and shoots off one of them tho?

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #256129 - 07/27/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Sounds good! But why did a friend shred all the leaves and shoots off one of them tho?

it was a 3 inch month old plant, still looked like a seedling (was in a chopped in 1/4 20oz mountain dew bottle for its full lifespan). i had been waiting on my friend to take it when he could and it took a while.  i transplanted it into a pot 2 days ago, put it in a wal mart sack and in my backpack. which was fine because it survived getting to it's new home perfectly and all the way back to my house.  friend grabbed the bag once we got home and carried it in and paid no attention to the fact there was a live plant in the bag =\    i just chopped it and am drying it.  i can just take a female clone and have a bigger plant in 5 minutes than i could have with that thing.  i figured after all that stress it would likely be male or hermie and i wouldnt bother trying to revive it.

i am drying it though to keep with it's one leaf left :smile:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#257297 - 07/29/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

alright something is wrong with 2 of my girls.  Its been going on for a while, but now its starting to worry me.  I had been following advice i read here and didnt try to bug anybody about it.  go ahead and check out my big post at doctor's diagnosis forum:

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=257267&page=0&vc=1#257267

I really hope somebody can help me save my plants.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#257418 - 07/29/09 10:08 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

turns out i have spider mites >_<

any ideas on remidies?  i cut off the few leaves that were affected.

i blame the cheap potting soil.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #257469 - 07/29/09 11:10 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Spray with water and soap. just dont use anti-bacterial soap.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Triptonic]
    #257530 - 07/30/09 12:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

amsujackal...Your problem has not been properly diagnosed! While i seem to think that mites are part of your problem i don't think it is all of the problem. I think you have a couple problems starting with the mites, then the ph and/or possibly to much fertz with all that miracle grow soil. The transplant will definatley help also.  You only got my opinion and supersiege, i think an opinion or 2 more would be a good gamble.

Spider mites can be taken care of with dish soap and water sprayed on in a mist, like trip said. There are other pesticides out there also for mites and other pests check local nursery.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #257577 - 07/30/09 05:38 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
amsujackal...Your problem has not been properly diagnosed! While i seem to think that mites are part of your problem i don't think it is all of the problem. I think you have a couple problems starting with the mites, then the ph and/or possibly to much fertz with all that miracle grow soil. The transplant will definatley help also.  You only got my opinion and supersiege, i think an opinion or 2 more would be a good gamble.

Spider mites can be taken care of with dish soap and water sprayed on in a mist, like trip said. There are other pesticides out there also for mites and other pests check local nursery.

alright.  Im going to try to pick up that PH tester like you (i think it was you in the DD forum that showed me) linked me to.  im positive some of my problems stem from a bad ph level. im going to go ahead and spray them with dilluted dish soap / water just to be on the safe side (still in veg, dont think it will mess the plants up as no buds have formed). i dont think it would hurt to be safe.  im still going to test for other errors ESPECIALLY ph. i know ph is probably a MAJOR factor.

As for the mites, i do think thats what they were. i took the leaves to my friend's mother (yes she's that cool. wow. )  and shes done a fair bit of gardening and stuck the leaves under a huge magnifier thingy and verified and told me the same soap method.  the main reason im freaking about the mites, is since ive clipped the leaves i scanned for you guys, the same spots have been showing up on other leaves on other plants rather rapidly. usually leaves that are close to other infected leaves.  i didnt post it because i got home a few hours ago after being at a friend's place all night and didnt know the other leaves were being affected.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Beating Spider Mites [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #258807 - 08/02/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I believe spider mites have a reproductive cycle that's a rolling 2 - 3 weeks between generations.  Therefore, at a certain point, their population explodes and it can be very difficult to keep them controlled, even more to eliminate them entirely as few if any pesticides are effective against the mites' eggs.  Therefore, prevention will always be better than the cure - and if you have confirmed their presence, make sure to act without delay in efforts to eradicate this vicious pest before the population gets too large.

By all means, start with the diluted dish soap and water, and remember to rinse the leaves with plain water in between treatments, otherwise you risk the dish soap clogging up the plant's stomata which will stunt growth.

If the dish soap and water doesn't work, you can try adding a little bit of garlic, cinnamon/clove oil, and/or lemon juice to the solution.  Just make sure to test it on a small part of the plant first and observe for 36 hours to make sure it isn't too strong.  These mixtures can burn the leaves.  As an added measure of protection, you should spray at the beginning of your dark cycle to reduce the risk of burning your leaves as well as to keep the environment more humid, which the spider mites will not appreciate.  If your light is close to the plant, remember to wait for it to cool, as too much water-mist landing on a hot light bulb can cause it to explode!

If the stronger solution fails, you can spring for some pyrethrins, which are insecticidal organic compounds.  While pyrethrins are toxic, they are not very dangerous to humans and have been used as an organic crop dusting agent in agricultural farming as well as indoor agriculture for some time.  You can also find them in some shampoos designed to remove lice/ticks from humans and pets.  Riptide 5.0% Pyrethrin is a common solution that works well.

If you need something even more potent, you can consider a synthetic pesticide such as Syngenta's Avid, but that stuff is much more toxic and should never be applied to a plant that has already started to flower.

Good luck.. those mites are a pain in the ass!!

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: geokills]
    #258949 - 08/02/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hey man had a look at the log. Looking good so far. You're seriously getting BO during veg growth? Been having a problem with my own plant recently after bringing it in from outside. Think it might be mites, let us know how it goes.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Buddy]
    #259427 - 08/04/09 08:14 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

as far as the mites go, do some googling into buying a small amount of predator mites.  i had a spider mite infestation that got out of control, bought predator mites, and within weeks those suckers were toast.

the species that i bought can actually survive on detritus and algae once they diminish the spider mite population, so they actually always stick around in smaller numbers (if you use soil) and will immediately contain any further outbreaks.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Yrat]
    #259428 - 08/04/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

This is what the mites look like that Yrat was talking about.

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Triptonic]
    #259440 - 08/04/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#265630 - 08/15/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well, my big bushy sativa is dead =\  mg deficiency killed it i believe.  Find the thread in DD if you want to see pics or whatnot.  been moving so i hadnt had the time or funds to do anything to help the poor plant.

Imonna turn it into as many clones as i can :smile:  her legacy shall live on!

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #265656 - 08/15/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry to hear that man, LET THE LEGACY LIVE!!!!!!!!

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Triptonic]
    #265710 - 08/15/09 05:05 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Mg is a secondary nutrient. Why do you think it was Magnesium?

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#265814 - 08/15/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Buddy said:
Mg is a secondary nutrient. Why do you think it was Magnesium?

well i went through every image of different deficiencies i could find, and it looked exactly like Mg.  had a friend that used to grow come over to look at it, and he said Mg too, and i hadnt mentioned what i thought of it to him as to get an unbiased opinion.

On a lighter note, i think it might be good that it happened.  i got **14 decent clones** off of her. if they all root, i'll have 14 new female plants with the genetics that i loved in my big bushy one.  fast growing, strong, lots of vegetation on it, and bushy.

Also, in my new place, Im setting it up in a walk in closet thats almost as big as my current bedroom.  it has washer/dryer hookups too, so im thinking of setting up a hydro system with the water line thats running to that closet.  gonna have to run it through a purifier/filter to keep toxins of city water out of the hydro system.  ill post pics later once i get over there and we can brainstorm setup ideas :smile:  Thats probably why one of my plants bombed.. chem nutes and water is far more logical and easier to work with to my mind than dirt :P

Edited by AmsuJackal (08/15/09 09:33 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck