Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

First time grow - seeds from stash of dank weed seeds UPDATE 9/02 -- RIP
    #242467 - 06/24/09 07:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

*This thread was originally opened for a question, but since the thread already had all of my progress so far, im converting the thread to a grow log*.

Hey guys.  so i have a cup i planted 4 seeds in... to be honest i didnt think all 4 of them would germinate, but they did.  so now i have 4 seedlings in one 16 or 24oz styrofoam cup.

First question.. How would i go about separating all 4 of them into their own pots without harming them or the root system?

Second question.  Ive noticed my 2 taller seedlings have 4 leaves, 2 normal 2 searated.  my 2 smaller seedlings have only 2 leaves, no searated leaves. The taller ones had 4 leaves upon uncurling from the soil break i believe and grew like that.  the 2 smaller seedlings have stayed the way they are since soil break.  Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong?

Edited by AmsuJackal (09/02/09 11:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #242481 - 06/24/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Oh AJ...
The "unserrated" leaves are called cotyledons and they are always the first set of leaves produced.

Four seeds in one cup was a bad idea (kind of like the grow-in-perlite-but-I-can't-afford-nutes idea), but you might be able to separate them while they're young since they most likely have only a taproot and a very undeveloped root structure.  Just remove the soil from the cup as if you were doing a normal transplant, and then GENTLY divide it into quarters around the seedlings.  Replant them separately.

Finally, when you replant them, plant them all the way up to the first set of leaves; those are looking stretchy as hell, so planting them deep will give them more support/root system.  I think you need a better light source.

Please, please, please do some research on the site before you get any further toward killing poor defenseless cannabis plants.  It seems very clear that you didn't.  I'll even provide a link.General Growing Info

Read every document there before you get to your next transplant, and you will have SO much more luck in your grow, and on this site.  I promise it won't take all that long.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: 81renaissance]
    #242485 - 06/24/09 10:44 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Oh AJ...
The "unserrated" leaves are called cotyledons and they are always the first set of leaves produced.

Four seeds in one cup was a bad idea (kind of like the grow-in-perlite-but-I-can't-afford-nutes idea), but you might be able to separate them while they're young since they most likely have only a taproot and a very undeveloped root structure.  Just remove the soil from the cup as if you were doing a normal transplant, and then GENTLY divide it into quarters around the seedlings.  Replant them separately.

Finally, when you replant them, plant them all the way up to the first set of leaves; those are looking stretchy as hell, so planting them deep will give them more support/root system.  I think you need a better light source.

Please, please, please do some research on the site before you get any further toward killing poor defenseless cannabis plants.  It seems very clear that you didn't.  I'll even provide a link.General Growing Info

Read every document there before you get to your next transplant, and you will have SO much more luck in your grow, and on this site.  I promise it won't take all that long.

exactly:thumbup: and yeah you definately need more light......

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242495 - 06/24/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Afterthought: What kind of soil are you currently using?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #242503 - 06/24/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AmsuJackal said:

First question.. How would i go about separating all 4 of them into their own pots without harming them or the root system?

Quote:

81renaissance said:

Maybe for someone who has no idea whats going on that maybe true, but comparing it to a perlite grow with no nutes is a little extreme, imo. I have started all my grows in 1 big pot and then transplant to their own pots once germinated. However this must happen a.s.a.p. to cut out any major stress later when the plants are in full production. Waiting to long to transplant could stress the plants and change them hermie or even kill them.

Quote:

AmsuJackal said:
Second question.  Ive noticed my 2 taller seedlings have 4 leaves, 2 normal 2 searated.  my 2 smaller seedlings have only 2 leaves, no searated leaves. The taller ones had 4 leaves upon uncurling from the soil break i believe and grew like that.  the 2 smaller seedlings have stayed the way they are since soil break.  Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong?

I am not sure the cause of this problem, but over the years i have had many seedlings come up with just the cotyledon leaves and nothing coming up the middle. Matter of fact i just posted a seedling on this site that seemed to only have the cotyledons and 2 pistils along with it. So to answer your question, no i don't think it has anything to do with you. Like any reproduction process, you sometimes end up with the perfect child, and sometimes genetics go foul and you end up with a special needs kid...LOL

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #242531 - 06/24/09 02:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

"Maybe for someone who has no idea whats going on that maybe true"

Wtf man? Where did that come from?
My "perlite" statement was b/c the op had a post a couple weeks ago asking if that was possible.
My point being that Amsu needs to do more research...the multi seeds in a single cup wasn't a calculated decision, it was done out of ignorance of the process.

I didn't belittle the OP, in fact I went out of my way to help him in his current situation, and even provided a link in the spirit of "teaching a man to fish".

So I think my biggest question is: why did you think it was necessary to imply that I "don't know what's going on"?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242552 - 06/24/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

my apologies 81renaissance 

My reply to the above threads was not aimed at you 81renaissance nor did I imply that you don't know what your talking about,because you obviously do. It was a general statement. That things can be done several ways and still have a good outcome. Personally for a beginner i would recommend the paper towel germination method, seems pretty no fail.

And i did not realize that the op was the poster of the "perlite question". And he definatly needs to do some research on growing cannabis. I think he had the right intentions by only planting 4 seeds and expecting half to germinate since it seems. Basically he will probly only end up with the 2 that are going well and the other 2 retarded ones will prolly die off anyways.

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#242606 - 06/24/09 05:14 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yah, i had talked to a friend that used to grow and he had some spare soil he used to use that he had custom mixed. By the time im a little farther into the vegetative state i should have quite the collection of nutes to use with it.  Tomorrow i get paid and im getting a good CFL light to hang over them from a chain on the celing so lighting wont be an issue for too much longer.  Thank all of you for your advice :smile:  I do realize that from my posts it seems like im trying to rush into things, and at first i was but i slowed down a little untill i had all of the supplies i needed.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242612 - 06/24/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

AJ: I'm glad you've slowed down some, I really strongly suggest that you read the info I linked if only so I don't feel like I did it for nothing. :wink:

Define "good" cfl, what kind of lumens and what size are we talking here?  There are so many; you wanna make sure you get enough light, and a lot of times that means more than one CFL IMO.

Other than that, keep us up to date.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#242707 - 06/24/09 09:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well, the fixture holds 2 cfl tubes. each light would be 100w output, the lights i was going to get were marked "GROW LIGHT" and were 42 " long.  Since they were marked as grow lights, im assuming they have the proper color spectrum and output to support a plant. I'll go up to the store again in a bit and get the full specs on it to let you guys know.

81: yes, i read the information you linked me to.  Your effort did not go to waste. thanks a lot :smile:

Edited by AmsuJackal (06/24/09 09:57 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242720 - 06/24/09 10:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If they're tubes, they aren't CFL's they're just fluorescent lights.

Buyer beware: "GROW LIGHT" doesn't always mean it'll work...I know that's weird, but it is true...do some research on fluoro's other people have used and don't guess, lighting is one of the most critical things for your plants.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #242777 - 06/25/09 03:06 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
If they're tubes, they aren't CFL's they're just fluorescent lights.

Buyer beware: "GROW LIGHT" doesn't always mean it'll work...I know that's weird, but it is true...do some research on fluoro's other people have used and don't guess, lighting is one of the most critical things for your plants.

Good advice bro!  How about you just take a picture of what you think you are going to buy and we'll tell you if its cool or not...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: Inverted]
    #242891 - 06/25/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Here is a pic of one of my seedlings that obviously has genetic problems. The cotyledon's are getting big but there is nothing visible growing from the center.

And this one started out retarded with stunted deformed first single blades but seems to be thriving ok now.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #242940 - 06/25/09 04:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I bet something will grow between the cotyledons but that does look a little strange. Did you get yourself a better light?

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: Triptonic]
    #242978 - 06/25/09 05:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nah, no indoor grows here, electricity is way to expensive for that. These are outdoor plants. The retarded one is about 1 and half weeks old. When i look down into the main stem,past the cotyledons,there is nothing there, haha. Its got a super thick stem compared to the rest and the cotyledons seem to be growing bigger, so will let it go and see what comes of it.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#242981 - 06/25/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol it would be funny if it just grew a stem......although I dont think it will live cuz the leaves are what do the majority of photosynthiesis.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#243622 - 06/27/09 10:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

UPDATE: landlords hit me with 3 water bills i hadnt paid, light money had to go to that. what i have done for now is i have transplanted all 5 of them (another one sprung up since the last pic) into their own containers. I actually managed to do it without shocking them. they are in namely huge cans of government issued food. they each hold about a gallon so i should be good for a while i believe. I have five 75w incandescents aimed right at them about 2 inches or so above the plants and during the daytime i let them soak up some sunlight in the bedroom for 7 hours or so.  soon i will have my lights.  This is not even a week after they popped out of the soil.

There they all are in where they started.  They look a little stretched i know.

There is a group shot of all 5 of them :smile:

Closeup of one of the 2 biggest ones

Closeup of the other of the 2 biggest ones.

For as shotty of a start as they have had, i dont think they look too bad for their age and care.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#243624 - 06/27/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lookin good man, sucks about the bills I know how you feel. At least your getting them some sunlight. When do you plan on moving them outside?

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#243640 - 06/27/09 11:52 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Cant move them outside. I live in an apartment and the instant i take it out the door someone would notice and call the police right away.  But, i dont have a problem with sitting them on the floor by the window and letting them soak in some sun.  my windows are positioned where nobody could really look inside and see whats going on.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#243641 - 06/27/09 11:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Did you get yourself a better light? You could just cover them up and no one would know.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom