Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

First time grow - seeds from stash of dank weed seeds UPDATE 9/02 -- RIP
    #242467 - 06/24/09 07:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

*This thread was originally opened for a question, but since the thread already had all of my progress so far, im converting the thread to a grow log*.

Hey guys.  so i have a cup i planted 4 seeds in... to be honest i didnt think all 4 of them would germinate, but they did.  so now i have 4 seedlings in one 16 or 24oz styrofoam cup.

First question.. How would i go about separating all 4 of them into their own pots without harming them or the root system?

Second question.  Ive noticed my 2 taller seedlings have 4 leaves, 2 normal 2 searated.  my 2 smaller seedlings have only 2 leaves, no searated leaves. The taller ones had 4 leaves upon uncurling from the soil break i believe and grew like that.  the 2 smaller seedlings have stayed the way they are since soil break.  Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong?

Edited by AmsuJackal (09/02/09 11:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #242481 - 06/24/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Oh AJ...
The "unserrated" leaves are called cotyledons and they are always the first set of leaves produced.

Four seeds in one cup was a bad idea (kind of like the grow-in-perlite-but-I-can't-afford-nutes idea), but you might be able to separate them while they're young since they most likely have only a taproot and a very undeveloped root structure.  Just remove the soil from the cup as if you were doing a normal transplant, and then GENTLY divide it into quarters around the seedlings.  Replant them separately.

Finally, when you replant them, plant them all the way up to the first set of leaves; those are looking stretchy as hell, so planting them deep will give them more support/root system.  I think you need a better light source.

Please, please, please do some research on the site before you get any further toward killing poor defenseless cannabis plants.  It seems very clear that you didn't.  I'll even provide a link.General Growing Info

Read every document there before you get to your next transplant, and you will have SO much more luck in your grow, and on this site.  I promise it won't take all that long.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: 81renaissance]
    #242485 - 06/24/09 10:44 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Oh AJ...
The "unserrated" leaves are called cotyledons and they are always the first set of leaves produced.

Four seeds in one cup was a bad idea (kind of like the grow-in-perlite-but-I-can't-afford-nutes idea), but you might be able to separate them while they're young since they most likely have only a taproot and a very undeveloped root structure.  Just remove the soil from the cup as if you were doing a normal transplant, and then GENTLY divide it into quarters around the seedlings.  Replant them separately.

Finally, when you replant them, plant them all the way up to the first set of leaves; those are looking stretchy as hell, so planting them deep will give them more support/root system.  I think you need a better light source.

Please, please, please do some research on the site before you get any further toward killing poor defenseless cannabis plants.  It seems very clear that you didn't.  I'll even provide a link.General Growing Info

Read every document there before you get to your next transplant, and you will have SO much more luck in your grow, and on this site.  I promise it won't take all that long.

exactly:thumbup: and yeah you definately need more light......

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242495 - 06/24/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Afterthought: What kind of soil are you currently using?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #242503 - 06/24/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AmsuJackal said:

First question.. How would i go about separating all 4 of them into their own pots without harming them or the root system?

Quote:

81renaissance said:

Maybe for someone who has no idea whats going on that maybe true, but comparing it to a perlite grow with no nutes is a little extreme, imo. I have started all my grows in 1 big pot and then transplant to their own pots once germinated. However this must happen a.s.a.p. to cut out any major stress later when the plants are in full production. Waiting to long to transplant could stress the plants and change them hermie or even kill them.

Quote:

AmsuJackal said:
Second question.  Ive noticed my 2 taller seedlings have 4 leaves, 2 normal 2 searated.  my 2 smaller seedlings have only 2 leaves, no searated leaves. The taller ones had 4 leaves upon uncurling from the soil break i believe and grew like that.  the 2 smaller seedlings have stayed the way they are since soil break.  Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong?

I am not sure the cause of this problem, but over the years i have had many seedlings come up with just the cotyledon leaves and nothing coming up the middle. Matter of fact i just posted a seedling on this site that seemed to only have the cotyledons and 2 pistils along with it. So to answer your question, no i don't think it has anything to do with you. Like any reproduction process, you sometimes end up with the perfect child, and sometimes genetics go foul and you end up with a special needs kid...LOL

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #242531 - 06/24/09 02:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

"Maybe for someone who has no idea whats going on that maybe true"

Wtf man? Where did that come from?
My "perlite" statement was b/c the op had a post a couple weeks ago asking if that was possible.
My point being that Amsu needs to do more research...the multi seeds in a single cup wasn't a calculated decision, it was done out of ignorance of the process.

I didn't belittle the OP, in fact I went out of my way to help him in his current situation, and even provided a link in the spirit of "teaching a man to fish".

So I think my biggest question is: why did you think it was necessary to imply that I "don't know what's going on"?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242552 - 06/24/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

my apologies 81renaissance 

My reply to the above threads was not aimed at you 81renaissance nor did I imply that you don't know what your talking about,because you obviously do. It was a general statement. That things can be done several ways and still have a good outcome. Personally for a beginner i would recommend the paper towel germination method, seems pretty no fail.

And i did not realize that the op was the poster of the "perlite question". And he definatly needs to do some research on growing cannabis. I think he had the right intentions by only planting 4 seeds and expecting half to germinate since it seems. Basically he will probly only end up with the 2 that are going well and the other 2 retarded ones will prolly die off anyways.

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#242606 - 06/24/09 05:14 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yah, i had talked to a friend that used to grow and he had some spare soil he used to use that he had custom mixed. By the time im a little farther into the vegetative state i should have quite the collection of nutes to use with it.  Tomorrow i get paid and im getting a good CFL light to hang over them from a chain on the celing so lighting wont be an issue for too much longer.  Thank all of you for your advice :smile:  I do realize that from my posts it seems like im trying to rush into things, and at first i was but i slowed down a little untill i had all of the supplies i needed.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242612 - 06/24/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

AJ: I'm glad you've slowed down some, I really strongly suggest that you read the info I linked if only so I don't feel like I did it for nothing. :wink:

Define "good" cfl, what kind of lumens and what size are we talking here?  There are so many; you wanna make sure you get enough light, and a lot of times that means more than one CFL IMO.

Other than that, keep us up to date.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#242707 - 06/24/09 09:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well, the fixture holds 2 cfl tubes. each light would be 100w output, the lights i was going to get were marked "GROW LIGHT" and were 42 " long.  Since they were marked as grow lights, im assuming they have the proper color spectrum and output to support a plant. I'll go up to the store again in a bit and get the full specs on it to let you guys know.

81: yes, i read the information you linked me to.  Your effort did not go to waste. thanks a lot :smile:

Edited by AmsuJackal (06/24/09 09:57 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #242720 - 06/24/09 10:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If they're tubes, they aren't CFL's they're just fluorescent lights.

Buyer beware: "GROW LIGHT" doesn't always mean it'll work...I know that's weird, but it is true...do some research on fluoro's other people have used and don't guess, lighting is one of the most critical things for your plants.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #242777 - 06/25/09 03:06 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
If they're tubes, they aren't CFL's they're just fluorescent lights.

Buyer beware: "GROW LIGHT" doesn't always mean it'll work...I know that's weird, but it is true...do some research on fluoro's other people have used and don't guess, lighting is one of the most critical things for your plants.

Good advice bro!  How about you just take a picture of what you think you are going to buy and we'll tell you if its cool or not...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: Inverted]
    #242891 - 06/25/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Here is a pic of one of my seedlings that obviously has genetic problems. The cotyledon's are getting big but there is nothing visible growing from the center.

And this one started out retarded with stunted deformed first single blades but seems to be thriving ok now.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #242940 - 06/25/09 04:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I bet something will grow between the cotyledons but that does look a little strange. Did you get yourself a better light?

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: Triptonic]
    #242978 - 06/25/09 05:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nah, no indoor grows here, electricity is way to expensive for that. These are outdoor plants. The retarded one is about 1 and half weeks old. When i look down into the main stem,past the cotyledons,there is nothing there, haha. Its got a super thick stem compared to the rest and the cotyledons seem to be growing bigger, so will let it go and see what comes of it.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#242981 - 06/25/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol it would be funny if it just grew a stem......although I dont think it will live cuz the leaves are what do the majority of photosynthiesis.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#243622 - 06/27/09 10:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

UPDATE: landlords hit me with 3 water bills i hadnt paid, light money had to go to that. what i have done for now is i have transplanted all 5 of them (another one sprung up since the last pic) into their own containers. I actually managed to do it without shocking them. they are in namely huge cans of government issued food. they each hold about a gallon so i should be good for a while i believe. I have five 75w incandescents aimed right at them about 2 inches or so above the plants and during the daytime i let them soak up some sunlight in the bedroom for 7 hours or so.  soon i will have my lights.  This is not even a week after they popped out of the soil.

There they all are in where they started.  They look a little stretched i know.

There is a group shot of all 5 of them :smile:

Closeup of one of the 2 biggest ones

Closeup of the other of the 2 biggest ones.

For as shotty of a start as they have had, i dont think they look too bad for their age and care.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#243624 - 06/27/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lookin good man, sucks about the bills I know how you feel. At least your getting them some sunlight. When do you plan on moving them outside?

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#243640 - 06/27/09 11:52 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Cant move them outside. I live in an apartment and the instant i take it out the door someone would notice and call the police right away.  But, i dont have a problem with sitting them on the floor by the window and letting them soak in some sun.  my windows are positioned where nobody could really look inside and see whats going on.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#243641 - 06/27/09 11:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Did you get yourself a better light? You could just cover them up and no one would know.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#243642 - 06/27/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Heh. i will be getting a better light in about 4 days.  The reason i absolutely cant take them outside, is there is an ex federal investigator (DEA i believe. ive seen his license) living right across the door from me.  Good thing is hes old, and getting sort of senile. Bad thing is, hes always walking around the doors picking up trash, tending to his plants, and doing random things on my patio.  It would be discovered, no doubt. as dismal as everything may sound, i assure you and myself that i am safe indoors :smile:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#243646 - 06/28/09 12:06 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol, if there were a DEA agent living across from me I would not want to grow inside, just cuz of the smell. Ha ha but I wish you good luck man and look forward to seeing more updates from ya. But I guess since he is old he might not be able to smell as much.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #243647 - 06/28/09 12:14 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you'd be surprised what some law enforcers dont notice........one time im was tokin' one with my pops on the porch during a family BBQ and some ass called the cops and saw us smokin....and the cops came onto the porch and there were a minimum of at least 25 pot plants about 6-8 inches tall sitting all over the place, and i mean everywhere......and they looked right at them and thought nothing of it really, i told them "oh yeah just growin some tomatos" and they totally bought it.....besides that they were huge assholes about the bong and crumbles........ :shake:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#243648 - 06/28/09 12:23 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yah his sense of smell must be way off. the lady right next door to him (sharing his walls) was running a meth lab for around 6 months and he didnt smell a thing.  and thats a lot more pungent than a few plants.  Never suspected anything of me during my 7 months of shroom growing either. So i think i should be okay :smile:

But anyway, I will be making a grow log which i will post in here in a bit once i get it created in the appropriate subcategory, which will show my current macguyvered light setup and then my new setup plus where theyre actually going to be grown once i move them in there.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #243649 - 06/28/09 12:24 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

macguyvered light setup

:rofl:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #243651 - 06/28/09 12:32 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ha ha you live in a shady part of town dont you?

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #243653 - 06/28/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

that was actually at my aunts house.....i do live up the street yet there is a big difference in the change of peoples attitudes and the scenery...

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#243660 - 06/28/09 01:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
ha ha you live in a shady part of town dont you?

Actually i live in a pretty decent part of town. thats what puzzles me.  :shrug:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#243663 - 06/28/09 01:19 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmmm lol you from the midwest?

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #243665 - 06/28/09 01:41 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

As far as lights go, you can pick up a 100w Metal Halide light from Home Depot for $70 that will kick the crap out of just about any floro. Just as a thought. Nutes are always good, so way to go on that. If at all possible, clean the glass on the window where it gets sun(inside and out), this can increase actual light by 10%. And when seedlings sprout, it is common for just the cotyledons leaves to be present. Serated leaves usually come second. That is actually how every seed I have ever germinated has come up(5 total). Good luck with the grow, and your not doing as bad as every one is making it seem. I haven't seen hardly anyone put the amount of time and research into their first grows as i did, and I have yet to bust their balls. So keep up the good effort and remember, no ones first grow goes perfect, not even mine, even though I tried very hard to make it that way.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* *DELETED* [Re: Triptonic]
    #243695 - 06/28/09 09:51 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Dr. Siekadellyk

Reason for deletion: ...

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#243769 - 06/28/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lol no not you dummy:fork:  Amsujackal

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #243780 - 06/28/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

AJ be careful about the size of those containers, its tougher to keep the moisture levels right when you have small plants in big containers since they don't dry out as fast.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #243805 - 06/28/09 06:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
lol no not you dummy:fork:  Amsujackal

woops:lol:....i didnt see that it was a reply to him:flowstone:....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#244818 - 06/30/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

alright time for an update as 2 days is a lot of time for a growing seedling.

Here is a pic of my 3 best seedlings soakin up some sun :smile:

close up :smile:

Now for an artistic flare - B&W closeup with infared filter

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248345 - 07/11/09 06:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

progress update: 7-11-09

So far so good. still have a fruit fly problem but i have found ways to overcome the problems.  The plants are doing very good. the 2 in the back are getting HUGE. Each leaf alone is the size of my hand.  Here are some pics :smile:  mind you, they used to look a lot fuller.  i topped the 3 larger ones yesterday taking probably half an inch of stem and 2 or 3 leaves with it.

Also, the room is starting to smell really really dank :smile:

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/11/09 06:56 PM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#248353 - 07/11/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

looking good man:thumbup:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248443 - 07/11/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
looking good man:thumbup:

Thanks man :smile:  that means a lot to me coming from you.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#248449 - 07/11/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Did you get that new light dude? +5 for keeping up with the journal:thumbup:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248452 - 07/11/09 09:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
Did you get that new light dude? +5 for keeping up with the journal:thumbup:

I wasnt able to get the big light like i wanted with the 2 fluro tubes and the ballast yet, but what i do have in the mean time is two 1500 lumen grow lights (also fluro) and i have three 75w 830lumen incandescent reveal bulbs going on them. they seem to be doing great at the moment so im not gonna worry too much.  im thinking i'll bring out the big guns when i switch my girls (please cannabis god let them all be girls) to flowering in a week or 2.  I think rather than the light i was looking at, i'll get a 250w HPS setup goin. i have 10 feet of headspace to work with so the heat shouldnt be a problem

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#248455 - 07/11/09 09:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Cool man sounds good, you just gonna flower them when they show sex then? Maybe you should think about topping them and letting them veg. for a while so they get big and bushy. And then switch them over. But its up to you haha just saying what I want to do with my next grow haha.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248462 - 07/11/09 09:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ive already topped them, gonna let em grow for a few weeks while LST'ing them.  I might also throw in a SCroG setup. I read somewhere that scrog works well with LST but i dunno. My ultimate goal is to harvest enough to keep me going until i can crop out again with some clones i'll take from my best female.  Im going to start LST once they start growing good again after recovering from topping.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#248464 - 07/11/09 09:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

O, Sorry I missed that you topped them dude haha must not have read everything. I want to see how the topping works out for ya. I havent ever tried it but want to. LST is a good idea as well especially if you dont have a lot of room :wink:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248481 - 07/11/09 10:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well, the group shots, the small plant in the bottom left in the front has been topped, and is now developing their first node leaves on the new shoots. enlarge and take a look :smile:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248922 - 07/13/09 12:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

UPDATE: 7/13

I dont know if this is normal, but on one of the plants i topped, every node seems to be growing an alternate shoot and some of the shoots have already produced another node and are working on another.  High res closeup attatched.  I might add, that these were seeds from a stash of a bunch of different good strains. i really wish i knew which strain they were. lol.

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/13/09 01:28 AM)

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #249114 - 07/13/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's normal.  The point of topping a plant is to cut it below the top node so that the lower nodes develop into branches.

It's tricky to see from your picture, but it looks like you may have cut above instead of below the top node of your plant.  If you don't see a new set (at least 2 main branches) coming out above the top two leaves on your plant, you should probably remove that entire top node (cut just below those two leaves) so that you assure the proper distribution of hormones to the lower nodes in order to allow them to branch most efficiently.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: geokills]
    #249165 - 07/13/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
That's normal.  The point of topping a plant is to cut it below the top node so that the lower nodes develop into branches.

It's tricky to see from your picture, but it looks like you may have cut above instead of below the top node of your plant.  If you don't see a new set (at least 2 main branches) coming out above the top two leaves on your plant, you should probably remove that entire top node (cut just below those two leaves) so that you assure the proper distribution of hormones to the lower nodes in order to allow them to branch most efficiently.

Thank you for that.  I was under the impression that topping only made new shoots for the uppermost node that you cut.  Thats pretty cool.  And yah, ive noticed new shoots forming on the node i cut above so i think we're all good.  How long should i wait before tying them down for LST after topping?

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#250396 - 07/16/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Alright, time for an update. they have seemed to have recovered from the topping a few days ago. the new shoots are now 2 nodes long, 3 in some cases <3  anyway, theyre getting pretty big and smelly now :smile:

The bigger 3 plants *back, far left, far right* vary from 1.5 feet to 2 feet tall already o_o;;  from the looks of it, the bushy one in the far back is a sativa, the 2 other big ones on the sides are indicas.  They have not shown gender yet, but i hope theyre all girls. c'mon send good vibes and maybe lady cannabis will bestow the garden of weeden with pistils!

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/17/09 02:46 AM)

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

LST or SCROG? [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #251000 - 07/18/09 04:53 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Alright so now im at a point where i want to start a decent training method other than the topping.  I am trying to decide between LST and SCroG, or both.

1. LST - I would love to lst.  the stems on my bigger plants have thickened considerably and are pretty strong. will tying them down snap the stems? or will i just have to do it in increments until i can get it all the way down to 90-100 degrees without hurting the plants?  i dont want to stress them into males or herms.

2. SCroG - very interested in scrog. i understand how it works, but have a few questions on setting it up.  do i just suspend chickenwire over the plants and just let it grow and find ways to poke through it?  i know if the tip of the main stem pokes through i should tuck it under the screen so it cant grow upwards but is that pretty much it?

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #251012 - 07/18/09 09:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Its, not just the tip of the main stem, its the tips of all of the branches. As soon as you have the main branch at the same height or lower than other brances, all of the branches will take off on a growth spurt.As all of the tips grow up through the screen, you pull them back through and move them over to the next hole. I recommend doing this once 2-3 inches has grown through the screen. Remember your goal is to have all of the tips sticking 2-5 inches through the screen in a uniform canopy once the flowering strech has finished. all of this info and more is in my grow log, you just have to read it.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#251544 - 07/19/09 08:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Alright change of plans.  apparently since i have a florescent light and 3 bulbs spread around the plants within their growing space (mostly not above them)  i seem to have achieved what i was looking for with LST.  Im just going to top every secondary shoot ive seen to make more shoots then flower them.  on one of my plants i have noticed the node patterns arent 100% symmetrical anymore, one branch will develop a little higher up than the branch on the other side of the stem on the same node, so i think its about to start showing sex.  i think im just going to flower them like this, and save scrog and LST for my next grow when i have experienced the flowering stage once and know what to expect.

MY QUESTION:  if i top them when theyre about to show sex and go into flower, will they be easily stressed into male or herm?

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/19/09 10:39 PM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#251545 - 07/19/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Nah man I dont think they would get that stressed out.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Triptonic]
    #251547 - 07/19/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
Nah man I dont think they would get that stressed out.

Oh man thanks for the quick reply. I was really stressing trying to figure out what to do. thanks for that.  Also i realized in my post i said i have 3 bulbs. i have 4  830lumen bulbs (cfl now) and a 1093 lumen fluro on em totalling 4413 lumens on 3 plants and 3 young plants in a 3'x3' space, lined with foil to reflect more light. think i need to beef up the light when i flower?

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/19/09 10:17 PM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#251551 - 07/19/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ya I would beef it up if you want great buds, although I have seen some pretty good grows with CFL's before.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #251622 - 07/19/09 10:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

give them a sec. to recover after the topping before switching the photoperiod.....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #252029 - 07/20/09 06:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
give them a sec. to recover after the topping before switching the photoperiod.....

yah im not going to switch them until they show sex.  right now i have alternating nodes appearing on my bushy sativa but no preflowers. i figure within a week ill be seeing the sex.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#252870 - 07/22/09 03:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

UPDATE:  7/22/09

Update.  no sex yet and no more alternating nodes.  probably due to the fact i topped every shoot that was developing nodes recently.  they are filling out quite nicely and are smelling really strong :smile:  like super paranoia levels of strong sometimes.  (edit: how much smell does it take to seep through walls to the next apartment over? o_O )

The nitrogen lockout/burn in one of my plants has been fixed by transplanting into non-miracle grow nute-less soil with some MG soil mixed in for nutes. im thinking of doing the same for my other plants, including the 2 big ones.  the one that had been transplanted is the big one on the left in the wide red plastic container.  It used to be the scrawny one of the bunch but now it outshines the others :smile:

Also, the last image shows a full view of my ghetto lighting setup. seems to be working well :smile:  i have beefed up the lights to about 6000 lumens.  think thats enough for what im working with?  ill be adding more and more through the course of flowering when i get to it.

One question. a lot of the leaves have some baking soda powders  on them from when i was sprinkling it around.  is that going to hurt the leaves?

(hint. click on image inside the linked page the thumbnail takes you to for full resolution photo, rather than preview)

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#253829 - 07/24/09 05:29 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Woo.  big bushy plant in the left corner showed its gender.  I have a girl :heart:

little amber hair on one of the nodes. 1/6 female, lets hope for the same luck on the rest :rasta:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#254037 - 07/24/09 04:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Lookin sexy man.....I want to touch your girl.:wink:

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#254153 - 07/24/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

what's your current wattage on those CFLs?  if you currently have the $$ to go HPS,  it would be a great upgrade for your ladies.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Yrat]
    #254305 - 07/24/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I am running 4  100w equiv. CFL's with 1600 lumens each, and a 24'' fluro thats 1093 and a grow light.  also, lanky bushy plant in the far right corner showed its sex.  2/6 female now.  :heart:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#255064 - 07/25/09 06:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Woo.  all 3 big plants are now female!  3/6 lets keep the girls comin! :rasta::heart::stoned:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#255305 - 07/26/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Damn. these bitches are poppin pistils left and right.  4/6 female.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#255920 - 07/27/09 03:24 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

alright another update.  first of all, moved to 8000 lumens of 2700k cfl light for flowering. (lights placed around and above plants for optimal light penetration to every part of my plants).

i lost one plant due to careless friend shredding every leaf and shoot off of it (it was in my bag, was going to be a gift to someone but they couldnt keep it. good thing it was only 2-3 inches tall due to its whole life being in the bottom 1/4 of a 20oz bottle waiting on my friend to take it). so i only have 5 plants now.  all 5 of which are female. woooooooooooooo :stoned:

A clean female run from bag seeds.  what are the chances of that?

Imma move to flowering after i take a few clones  :headbanger:

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/27/09 03:30 AM)

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #256073 - 07/27/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds good! But why did a friend shred all the leaves and shoots off one of them tho?

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #256129 - 07/27/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Sounds good! But why did a friend shred all the leaves and shoots off one of them tho?

it was a 3 inch month old plant, still looked like a seedling (was in a chopped in 1/4 20oz mountain dew bottle for its full lifespan). i had been waiting on my friend to take it when he could and it took a while.  i transplanted it into a pot 2 days ago, put it in a wal mart sack and in my backpack. which was fine because it survived getting to it's new home perfectly and all the way back to my house.  friend grabbed the bag once we got home and carried it in and paid no attention to the fact there was a live plant in the bag =\    i just chopped it and am drying it.  i can just take a female clone and have a bigger plant in 5 minutes than i could have with that thing.  i figured after all that stress it would likely be male or hermie and i wouldnt bother trying to revive it.

i am drying it though to keep with it's one leaf left :smile:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#257297 - 07/29/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

alright something is wrong with 2 of my girls.  Its been going on for a while, but now its starting to worry me.  I had been following advice i read here and didnt try to bug anybody about it.  go ahead and check out my big post at doctor's diagnosis forum:

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=257267&page=0&vc=1#257267

I really hope somebody can help me save my plants.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#257418 - 07/29/09 10:08 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

turns out i have spider mites >_<

any ideas on remidies?  i cut off the few leaves that were affected.

i blame the cheap potting soil.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#257469 - 07/29/09 11:10 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Spray with water and soap. just dont use anti-bacterial soap.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #257530 - 07/30/09 12:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

amsujackal...Your problem has not been properly diagnosed! While i seem to think that mites are part of your problem i don't think it is all of the problem. I think you have a couple problems starting with the mites, then the ph and/or possibly to much fertz with all that miracle grow soil. The transplant will definatley help also.  You only got my opinion and supersiege, i think an opinion or 2 more would be a good gamble.

Spider mites can be taken care of with dish soap and water sprayed on in a mist, like trip said. There are other pesticides out there also for mites and other pests check local nursery.

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #257577 - 07/30/09 05:38 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
amsujackal...Your problem has not been properly diagnosed! While i seem to think that mites are part of your problem i don't think it is all of the problem. I think you have a couple problems starting with the mites, then the ph and/or possibly to much fertz with all that miracle grow soil. The transplant will definatley help also.  You only got my opinion and supersiege, i think an opinion or 2 more would be a good gamble.

Spider mites can be taken care of with dish soap and water sprayed on in a mist, like trip said. There are other pesticides out there also for mites and other pests check local nursery.

alright.  Im going to try to pick up that PH tester like you (i think it was you in the DD forum that showed me) linked me to.  im positive some of my problems stem from a bad ph level. im going to go ahead and spray them with dilluted dish soap / water just to be on the safe side (still in veg, dont think it will mess the plants up as no buds have formed). i dont think it would hurt to be safe.  im still going to test for other errors ESPECIALLY ph. i know ph is probably a MAJOR factor.

As for the mites, i do think thats what they were. i took the leaves to my friend's mother (yes she's that cool. wow. )  and shes done a fair bit of gardening and stuck the leaves under a huge magnifier thingy and verified and told me the same soap method.  the main reason im freaking about the mites, is since ive clipped the leaves i scanned for you guys, the same spots have been showing up on other leaves on other plants rather rapidly. usually leaves that are close to other infected leaves.  i didnt post it because i got home a few hours ago after being at a friend's place all night and didnt know the other leaves were being affected.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Beating Spider Mites [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #258807 - 08/02/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I believe spider mites have a reproductive cycle that's a rolling 2 - 3 weeks between generations.  Therefore, at a certain point, their population explodes and it can be very difficult to keep them controlled, even more to eliminate them entirely as few if any pesticides are effective against the mites' eggs.  Therefore, prevention will always be better than the cure - and if you have confirmed their presence, make sure to act without delay in efforts to eradicate this vicious pest before the population gets too large.

By all means, start with the diluted dish soap and water, and remember to rinse the leaves with plain water in between treatments, otherwise you risk the dish soap clogging up the plant's stomata which will stunt growth.

If the dish soap and water doesn't work, you can try adding a little bit of garlic, cinnamon/clove oil, and/or lemon juice to the solution.  Just make sure to test it on a small part of the plant first and observe for 36 hours to make sure it isn't too strong.  These mixtures can burn the leaves.  As an added measure of protection, you should spray at the beginning of your dark cycle to reduce the risk of burning your leaves as well as to keep the environment more humid, which the spider mites will not appreciate.  If your light is close to the plant, remember to wait for it to cool, as too much water-mist landing on a hot light bulb can cause it to explode!

If the stronger solution fails, you can spring for some pyrethrins, which are insecticidal organic compounds.  While pyrethrins are toxic, they are not very dangerous to humans and have been used as an organic crop dusting agent in agricultural farming as well as indoor agriculture for some time.  You can also find them in some shampoos designed to remove lice/ticks from humans and pets.  Riptide 5.0% Pyrethrin is a common solution that works well.

If you need something even more potent, you can consider a synthetic pesticide such as Syngenta's Avid, but that stuff is much more toxic and should never be applied to a plant that has already started to flower.

Good luck.. those mites are a pain in the ass!!

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: geokills]
    #258949 - 08/02/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hey man had a look at the log. Looking good so far. You're seriously getting BO during veg growth? Been having a problem with my own plant recently after bringing it in from outside. Think it might be mites, let us know how it goes.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Buddy]
    #259427 - 08/04/09 08:14 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

as far as the mites go, do some googling into buying a small amount of predator mites.  i had a spider mite infestation that got out of control, bought predator mites, and within weeks those suckers were toast.

the species that i bought can actually survive on detritus and algae once they diminish the spider mite population, so they actually always stick around in smaller numbers (if you use soil) and will immediately contain any further outbreaks.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Yrat]
    #259428 - 08/04/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

This is what the mites look like that Yrat was talking about.

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Triptonic]
    #259440 - 08/04/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#265630 - 08/15/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well, my big bushy sativa is dead =\  mg deficiency killed it i believe.  Find the thread in DD if you want to see pics or whatnot.  been moving so i hadnt had the time or funds to do anything to help the poor plant.

Imonna turn it into as many clones as i can :smile:  her legacy shall live on!

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #265656 - 08/15/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry to hear that man, LET THE LEGACY LIVE!!!!!!!!

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: Triptonic]
    #265710 - 08/15/09 05:05 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Mg is a secondary nutrient. Why do you think it was Magnesium?

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#265814 - 08/15/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Buddy said:
Mg is a secondary nutrient. Why do you think it was Magnesium?

well i went through every image of different deficiencies i could find, and it looked exactly like Mg.  had a friend that used to grow come over to look at it, and he said Mg too, and i hadnt mentioned what i thought of it to him as to get an unbiased opinion.

On a lighter note, i think it might be good that it happened.  i got **14 decent clones** off of her. if they all root, i'll have 14 new female plants with the genetics that i loved in my big bushy one.  fast growing, strong, lots of vegetation on it, and bushy.

Also, in my new place, Im setting it up in a walk in closet thats almost as big as my current bedroom.  it has washer/dryer hookups too, so im thinking of setting up a hydro system with the water line thats running to that closet.  gonna have to run it through a purifier/filter to keep toxins of city water out of the hydro system.  ill post pics later once i get over there and we can brainstorm setup ideas :smile:  Thats probably why one of my plants bombed.. chem nutes and water is far more logical and easier to work with to my mind than dirt :P

Edited by AmsuJackal (08/15/09 09:33 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #265984 - 08/16/09 08:11 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

AmsuJackal said:

chem nutes and water is far more logical and easier to work with to my mind than dirt :P

actually soil is more forgiving than hydro...but you can  do it, just make sure you do your research first.
Flushing is certainly easier, but your hydro grow will be completely worthless if you don't get a pH tester and you probably need something to test EC as well.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: 81renaissance]
    #265989 - 08/16/09 09:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

AmsuJackal said:

chem nutes and water is far more logical and easier to work with to my mind than dirt :P

actually soil is more forgiving than hydro...but you can  do it, just make sure you do your research first.
Flushing is certainly easier, but your hydro grow will be completely worthless if you don't get a pH tester and you probably need something to test EC as well.

eh.  i wont go hydro until my next grow. gonna take me a while to buy the purifiers, nutes, testers, build hydro tanks, etc.  but it is a project i will work on for a while.  when i do it im gonna do it right and not skimp on the setup :rasta:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#274326 - 09/02/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

alright, so an update.  Some things happened with the landlord, she illegally entered the apartment i was staying at and flipped the lights on (lights were off as i had JUST switched to flowering that day). so upon returning home, i had to immediately trash the ENTIRE garden and throw them in a dumpster from another complex.

by this time,  all of my girls were nice, green, and healthy and all ph / nute problems had been fixed.

My girls were 4 feet, one 4 ft 2 inches, still pretty much in veg.  they would have been monsters.  i will post pics.

RIP little ones.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #274342 - 09/02/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

bummer man. but it's good that you at least got them in the dumpster before the po-po showed up.

I'd get rid of all your nutes and other incriminating supplies as well. or at least store them with a friend

--------------------

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

#274370 - 09/02/09 12:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I'd get rid of all your nutes and other incriminating supplies as well. or at least store them with a friend

:thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your ladies Amsu, hopefully this was the landlord from the old place and not the new one.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: Beating Spider Mites [Re: eTarded]
    #274388 - 09/02/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eTarded said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

:thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your ladies Amsu, hopefully this was the landlord from the old place and not the new one.

Yes, unfortunately it was the new place.  The landlord absolutely hated us for some reason, and said it was illegal for us to live there and wouldnt put us on the lease (was moving in with a friend). she has done everything illegal she could to get us out including ripping open the power meter and flipping the emergency shutoff (highly illegal). So now not only am i garden-less, im homeless as well  :P

OfflineSinSemelia
Stranger

#587893 - 09/21/11 10:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hate to bump a super old thread sir, but you can bring an outdoor plant inside? Can it be done during flowering?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale