Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #248455 - 07/11/09 09:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Cool man sounds good, you just gonna flower them when they show sex then? Maybe you should think about topping them and letting them veg. for a while so they get big and bushy. And then switch them over. But its up to you haha just saying what I want to do with my next grow haha.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: Triptonic]
    #248462 - 07/11/09 09:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ive already topped them, gonna let em grow for a few weeks while LST'ing them.  I might also throw in a SCroG setup. I read somewhere that scrog works well with LST but i dunno. My ultimate goal is to harvest enough to keep me going until i can crop out again with some clones i'll take from my best female.  Im going to start LST once they start growing good again after recovering from topping.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#248464 - 07/11/09 09:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

O, Sorry I missed that you topped them dude haha must not have read everything. I want to see how the topping works out for ya. I havent ever tried it but want to. LST is a good idea as well especially if you dont have a lot of room :wink:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248481 - 07/11/09 10:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well, the group shots, the small plant in the bottom left in the front has been topped, and is now developing their first node leaves on the new shoots. enlarge and take a look :smile:

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#248922 - 07/13/09 12:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

UPDATE: 7/13

I dont know if this is normal, but on one of the plants i topped, every node seems to be growing an alternate shoot and some of the shoots have already produced another node and are working on another.  High res closeup attatched.  I might add, that these were seeds from a stash of a bunch of different good strains. i really wish i knew which strain they were. lol.

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/13/09 01:28 AM)

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #249114 - 07/13/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's normal.  The point of topping a plant is to cut it below the top node so that the lower nodes develop into branches.

It's tricky to see from your picture, but it looks like you may have cut above instead of below the top node of your plant.  If you don't see a new set (at least 2 main branches) coming out above the top two leaves on your plant, you should probably remove that entire top node (cut just below those two leaves) so that you assure the proper distribution of hormones to the lower nodes in order to allow them to branch most efficiently.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: Questions on my seedlings *pic* [Re: geokills]
    #249165 - 07/13/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
That's normal.  The point of topping a plant is to cut it below the top node so that the lower nodes develop into branches.

It's tricky to see from your picture, but it looks like you may have cut above instead of below the top node of your plant.  If you don't see a new set (at least 2 main branches) coming out above the top two leaves on your plant, you should probably remove that entire top node (cut just below those two leaves) so that you assure the proper distribution of hormones to the lower nodes in order to allow them to branch most efficiently.

Thank you for that.  I was under the impression that topping only made new shoots for the uppermost node that you cut.  Thats pretty cool.  And yah, ive noticed new shoots forming on the node i cut above so i think we're all good.  How long should i wait before tying them down for LST after topping?

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#250396 - 07/16/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Alright, time for an update. they have seemed to have recovered from the topping a few days ago. the new shoots are now 2 nodes long, 3 in some cases <3  anyway, theyre getting pretty big and smelly now :smile:

The bigger 3 plants *back, far left, far right* vary from 1.5 feet to 2 feet tall already o_o;;  from the looks of it, the bushy one in the far back is a sativa, the 2 other big ones on the sides are indicas.  They have not shown gender yet, but i hope theyre all girls. c'mon send good vibes and maybe lady cannabis will bestow the garden of weeden with pistils!

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/17/09 02:46 AM)

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

LST or SCROG? [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #251000 - 07/18/09 04:53 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Alright so now im at a point where i want to start a decent training method other than the topping.  I am trying to decide between LST and SCroG, or both.

1. LST - I would love to lst.  the stems on my bigger plants have thickened considerably and are pretty strong. will tying them down snap the stems? or will i just have to do it in increments until i can get it all the way down to 90-100 degrees without hurting the plants?  i dont want to stress them into males or herms.

2. SCroG - very interested in scrog. i understand how it works, but have a few questions on setting it up.  do i just suspend chickenwire over the plants and just let it grow and find ways to poke through it?  i know if the tip of the main stem pokes through i should tuck it under the screen so it cant grow upwards but is that pretty much it?

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #251012 - 07/18/09 09:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Its, not just the tip of the main stem, its the tips of all of the branches. As soon as you have the main branch at the same height or lower than other brances, all of the branches will take off on a growth spurt.As all of the tips grow up through the screen, you pull them back through and move them over to the next hole. I recommend doing this once 2-3 inches has grown through the screen. Remember your goal is to have all of the tips sticking 2-5 inches through the screen in a uniform canopy once the flowering strech has finished. all of this info and more is in my grow log, you just have to read it.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#251544 - 07/19/09 08:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Alright change of plans.  apparently since i have a florescent light and 3 bulbs spread around the plants within their growing space (mostly not above them)  i seem to have achieved what i was looking for with LST.  Im just going to top every secondary shoot ive seen to make more shoots then flower them.  on one of my plants i have noticed the node patterns arent 100% symmetrical anymore, one branch will develop a little higher up than the branch on the other side of the stem on the same node, so i think its about to start showing sex.  i think im just going to flower them like this, and save scrog and LST for my next grow when i have experienced the flowering stage once and know what to expect.

MY QUESTION:  if i top them when theyre about to show sex and go into flower, will they be easily stressed into male or herm?

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/19/09 10:39 PM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#251545 - 07/19/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Nah man I dont think they would get that stressed out.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Triptonic]
    #251547 - 07/19/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
Nah man I dont think they would get that stressed out.

Oh man thanks for the quick reply. I was really stressing trying to figure out what to do. thanks for that.  Also i realized in my post i said i have 3 bulbs. i have 4  830lumen bulbs (cfl now) and a 1093 lumen fluro on em totalling 4413 lumens on 3 plants and 3 young plants in a 3'x3' space, lined with foil to reflect more light. think i need to beef up the light when i flower?

Edited by AmsuJackal (07/19/09 10:17 PM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#251551 - 07/19/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ya I would beef it up if you want great buds, although I have seen some pretty good grows with CFL's before.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Triptonic]
    #251622 - 07/19/09 10:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

give them a sec. to recover after the topping before switching the photoperiod.....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: LST or SCROG? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #252029 - 07/20/09 06:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
give them a sec. to recover after the topping before switching the photoperiod.....

yah im not going to switch them until they show sex.  right now i have alternating nodes appearing on my bushy sativa but no preflowers. i figure within a week ill be seeing the sex.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#252870 - 07/22/09 03:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

UPDATE:  7/22/09

Update.  no sex yet and no more alternating nodes.  probably due to the fact i topped every shoot that was developing nodes recently.  they are filling out quite nicely and are smelling really strong :smile:  like super paranoia levels of strong sometimes.  (edit: how much smell does it take to seep through walls to the next apartment over? o_O )

The nitrogen lockout/burn in one of my plants has been fixed by transplanting into non-miracle grow nute-less soil with some MG soil mixed in for nutes. im thinking of doing the same for my other plants, including the 2 big ones.  the one that had been transplanted is the big one on the left in the wide red plastic container.  It used to be the scrawny one of the bunch but now it outshines the others :smile:

Also, the last image shows a full view of my ghetto lighting setup. seems to be working well :smile:  i have beefed up the lights to about 6000 lumens.  think thats enough for what im working with?  ill be adding more and more through the course of flowering when i get to it.

One question. a lot of the leaves have some baking soda powders  on them from when i was sprinkling it around.  is that going to hurt the leaves?

(hint. click on image inside the linked page the thumbnail takes you to for full resolution photo, rather than preview)

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

#253829 - 07/24/09 05:29 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Woo.  big bushy plant in the left corner showed its gender.  I have a girl :heart:

little amber hair on one of the nodes. 1/6 female, lets hope for the same luck on the rest :rasta:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#254037 - 07/24/09 04:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Lookin sexy man.....I want to touch your girl.:wink:

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#254153 - 07/24/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

what's your current wattage on those CFLs?  if you currently have the $$ to go HPS,  it would be a great upgrade for your ladies.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale