Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Can a Seedling get too much light? [Re: ethnoguy]
    #224449 - 05/08/09 10:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well i guess its a good thing that i wont be there for a few days...I tend to worry over my babies too much...my kids will probly be fat if i ever have any...So it sounds like i need to set it up like im watering a pereskiopsis during peak growth...which for me is once or twice a week...or whenever the soil gets dry...

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Can a Seedling get too much light? [Re: Data]
    #224451 - 05/08/09 10:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Feel down in the soil with your finger. If its dry an inch down- water. Thats what I don. Never any over/under water probs for me. I stressed like hell over my first indoor grow. You'll get over it. I did the same thing.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #224452 - 05/08/09 10:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ya dude just wait till the soil dries up a little more and then water...better to be a little underwatered than over watered.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Can a Seedling get too much light? [Re: Triptonic]
    #224453 - 05/08/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

lol EG I like how your just repeating stuff I say......

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#224456 - 05/08/09 10:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:. I missed it. I still don't see it. But I've been playing with this:

If it looks good, I think I'll use it as my avatar. Yeah, IDK. :lol:

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#224458 - 05/08/09 10:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

triptonic said:
A good way to check to see if the soil needs watering is to put your finger down about an inch and see if its dry...if your finger comes out dry you need to water. Usually you will only have to water once or twice a week. But since your pots are small you might need to water more often.....all I know is that I had my seedlings in a pellet for a while and they didnt even need to be watered every day. And those are pretty small. What are you using?

:wink:

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#224459 - 05/08/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I like how I said what you said, but with fewer words :lol:

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#224461 - 05/08/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

true dat...im wordy

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

#224462 - 05/08/09 10:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

No worse than me. I can over explain thing like you wouldn't believe. I guess that does work as an avatar. The tax stamp kinda looked like a badge :shrug:

Man, this thread is jacked :lol:

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#224475 - 05/08/09 11:22 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

its fine i dont care i got the info i needed...Thanks again guys...EG i like the avatar...very nice...:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#225228 - 05/11/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well i let it dry out under my LED light for 3 days...until the soil was dry about one inch down...and it is still looking like shit...I will get some good pics and a detail of sprouting conditions so i can figure out what the hell im doing wrong :smile:

will update in a little while
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineJohnny420

#225235 - 05/11/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

This might sound stupid and by all means people contest it, but it could be a nutes thing. How old are these plants?

I know you get other tell tale signs of nute problems, but I've seen plants droop and look generally lifeless. Watering never helped and then the signed of defficiency started to show.

After given a good whack of nutes they've perked right up and leaves become more rigid and growth exploded.

I'm by all means no expert though so please look out for other signs of a defficiency though before getting nute happy.

:2cents:

--------------------
:jah: :baggy: WE HIT THE TREES TILL WE LOOK VIETNAMESE :baggy: :jah:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Can a Seedling get too much light? [Re: Johnny420]
    #225238 - 05/11/09 04:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

From the front

From the back

and from the side

as you can see...there is something that looks like a dirt clod stuck to one of the cotyledons...this is actually attached...I think it may be something left over from the seed case...you can see in the side picture that the plumule with the first true leaves is beginning to show itself...the leaning bend in the stem is from the initial drooping...and then i guess the upturn back towards light...on the leaf without the attached gunk...you may be able to see a slight yellowing around the edge of the cotyledons

Conditions

Temperature: 83oF max during day, 75oF min at night

Soil: Miracle Grow brand seed starting mixture...consists mostly of sphagnum moss and perlite...very fluffy but afraid there arent enough nutrients...planning to transplant into large pot of fox farm soil

Light: 20 hours on, 4 hours off, 90W LED @ 1foot from seedling...temperature read from this point (see above) LED ratio Red:Blue:Orange 7:1:1

Humidity: less than 35% RH at all times...can get to 20% RH after running fan...

Feeding Schedule: none at this point

I hope this provides enough info for a good diagnosis...i do have some fertilizer on hand if its an emergency but i will wait for a couple of suggestions before i risk burning my brand new seedling...

Thanks in advance
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineJohnny420

#225241 - 05/11/09 04:55 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Oh sorry... i didnt realise we were still in the first couple of days. I'm not 100% on what's classed as a seedling and when Veg kicks in.

please ignore what i said... nute defficiency is definitely not the problem at this stage.

I'd just keep as you are with the watering when the soild is dry.

I'd say you can count out the light. If a seedling under a 400W HPS in tepms like yours can survive then your LED's should't pose too much problem.

It could be heat. Your temp could do with coming down a bit to around 77/78F, but 83 is survivable. Just keep an eye on that later in the cycle.

Humidity is a bit low, but again if you can keep an eye on it, it should be fine. Nothing a regular spraying wouldn't fix.

IME after the first couple of weeks are when the problems with the above show.

--------------------

OfflineJohnny420

#225242 - 05/11/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

oh and the cotyledons tend to yellow up anyway so i wouldn't worry about them. True leaves are the ones to keep an eye on.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#225428 - 05/11/09 10:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man, lookin at your little guys (or hopefully girls) they look to be fine to me. Your soil still looks a little wet although I didn't see whether or not you watered before you took those pics...even though they look a tad yellow its nothing to worry about. My bet is that they will start turning green the bigger they get. But how hot is your led? Sorry I don't know to much about led's but I'm guessing that it isn't very hot. And if it isn't hot you can get really close to your plant with it. That will help reduce stretching in the long run. If you can take a picture of the very top of the seedling so I can see just how "yellow" it really is, that will give me a better idea on what the problem is (if any). But I certainly wouldn't worry to much at this point if its only 3 days old....:thumbup: good job so far man.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #225687 - 05/12/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Man you have got to take it easy and get some patience.  That thing is barely even a seedling yet, you gotta give mother nature a chance to do her thing!  It takes a while for a plant to get started, but then it increases at an exponential rate.  Although it is under-developed for its age, it looks perfectly healthy.  Your soil looks soaked, I would really let it dry out, the cup/pot its in should be very light compared to what it felt like when it was freshly watered (heavy).  I would stick to the flourescent light until your child grows a little bigger and is well into vegetating. 3 weeks or so, about when you need to give it the first dose of nutrients.  I would recommend keeping it a little warm right now as that seems to speed up the first stages of growth considerably.  I would keep it around 75-80F Until it gets a few nodes on it at least.

Just chill out though seriously, it takes time, and quite a bit of it at that.  Its like watching a child, you won't notice the growth too much if you are checking on the poor thing every 3 hours... :smile:  Not to mention too much care kills a plant more often than neglect... At least in my personal experiences throughout the years.

Just keep her an inch or two from your Flouro and don't water it for at least 3-4 days, and keep it warm and you'll see some results.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Can a Seedling get too much light? [Re: Inverted]
    #230343 - 05/22/09 10:59 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well its been 11 days since my last post...i do have updates...

I ended up transplanting to a soil mix that i came up with:

For a 5 gallon batch of dry soil:
1.75 gallons Sphagnum Peat Moss
1.75 gallons Perlite
.75 gallons of 50/50 Worm Castings/Black Kow
5 Tbsp Blood Meal
10 Tbsp Bone Meal

now as i put this into my pot i added 2 scoops of the long lasting water polymers to the bottom 3/4 of the soil...and then added regular soil to the top 1/4.

i watered this thoroughly and left it for a while about 4 inches under my LED lights...and it is currently 2 inches tall, 3 inches wide...and is working on putting out it's 3rd or 4th internode. The internode spacing is about 1/8th of an inch...It seems as though the water crystals work.

sorry about the quality my girlfriend stole my camera for the week...and she's on the other end of the country...

I will post new pictures in approximately 2 weeks

peace
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #230376 - 05/22/09 11:34 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

If it is the 90W UFO, and the specs are correct, its supposed to be the equivilant of a mid sized hps light, and could be capable of stressing seedlings, but not likely, unless the leaves showed obvious signs of light burn. You can try to set it up again, bit try moving the light 6-12 inches further away from the plant, where even if the light was doing it, the distance should remedy the problem.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Re: Can a Seedling get too much light? [Re: Integra21]
    #230685 - 05/22/09 10:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm surprised its so squat. Looks good. I really want to see a LED grow from beginning to end.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder