Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
CFL Cabinet Grow
    #476712 - 09/13/10 08:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, I managed to find a lone seed in some really really nice bud. I'm definitely not a smoking veteran but it was some of the best bud i've smoked, mainly the smell and taste but the high was really nice too. They guy I got it from told me it was blueberry but most dudes I know will claim anything to make their stuff seem better. So I decided to plant it and go for a super cheap super short grow setup.

Due to my frustration with LED's and my eagerness to see what CFL's can do...I decided to use 100W equivalent CFLs, putting out 1750 lumens a piece in the 2700K range. I currently have 6 of these in roughly a 1x2 foot...footprint :tongue:.

I am growing in store-bought off-brand potting mix for the first plant. My girlfriend found the 2nd seed from the same batch of bud. We then decided to plant a 3rd seed from some old headies bag that I had from a long time ago. The 2nd and 3rd plants are currently sharing a pot that is a mixture of potting soil and vermiculite in the ratio of 1:1.

My current plan is to grow them to sexual maturity...induce flowering long enough to sex the plants...then if i can get a good female then i will build an aeroponic cloner and take clones from the mother, which i will grow in a bonsai fashion. Once the clones begin putting out roots i will plant them in solo cups under humidity domes...let them root out for a week or so and then switch to flowering. I'm hoping that what i will end up with is one decent cola per plant, and just have a small area full of short plants producing a small amount of bud. Since there is no way for me to grow anywhere more suitable from a headspace standpoint, this is about the only way i have available at the moment, and im bored, so i figured i would give it a shot.

Check out the pics and gimme some insight as to whether this is possible or whether i will fail miserably. I do have a backup plan should this not work but its a one time deal i want to make these potentially good genetics to last for a while. And now for pics :cool:

Above is plant number 1, which i will name Igor after the raging beast in the Atlantic currently. I think i sprouted Igor around the 3rd week in August. How am I doing, do you guys notice anything potentially wrong with him?

Here is a shot of all 3 plants in the grow cabinet. The one in the back is Igor, the 2 in the front are Elina and Sarah, from left to right, because if I ever have children, specifically 2 girls, then I would name them Elina and Sarah, I love those names :crazy:. Anyway as you can see in this shot Elina is not looking too hot, and Sarah looks a little pale compared to big bad Igor back there.

Sarah currently

Elina currently

Igor currently

Please let me know if I'm doing something retarded, and feel free to make suggestions. I will update as much as possible but I'm pretty busy currently and my updates may be sporadic.

Peace,
agmotes165 :cool::thumbup:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: CFL Cabinet Grow [Re: Data]
    #476717 - 09/13/10 08:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Due to my frustration with LED's

What was wrong with them?

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: CFL Cabinet Grow [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #476719 - 09/13/10 08:32 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Nothing except they are way too expensive...If i could get 200W of LED lighting for the same price as 400W HID lighting then i would go for LED's...the problem is they are just too damn expensive for the rated wattage, and the equivalent wattages that they claim on websites is a little exaggerated.

Check out my bagseed grow and my mandala satori grow, they will show you what LED's can do even in the hands of a retard :smirk: The problem was that my 90W unit cost either 250 or 350 i think, and my 120W was like 475...not really worth it IMO. But at the time i was growing in a place with no ventilation so the only air exchange happened through the cracks around the closet door or when the door was open, so low wattages were key for keeping the grow space within tolerable temperature ranges.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorDarkMatter
Stranger

#476763 - 09/13/10 10:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

How did you control the odor with no ventilation?

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: CFL Cabinet Grow [Re: DoctorDarkMatter]
    #476945 - 09/14/10 08:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well i had 2 small grow tents in the closet space...and had 2 activated carbon filter cans, one at the top of each tent...with an inline fan drawing air through the filters and out into the closet space...so that all air leaving the tent was filtered and all the incoming air came from the bottom of the closet space.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#480381 - 09/21/10 03:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Put them into 12/12 this weekend...will upload pics soon...a little busy right now sorry :smirk:

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#480589 - 09/21/10 11:20 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Promised pictures:

Elina

Igor with Sarah in the bottom left of the pic...the CFL is in the foreground its not actually that close to Igor

Igor from the top, i love the square footprint the plant is taking.

Thought I would show off my little mini-zong with a color changing glass slide, I just recently cleaned it. I also managed to reclaim about 80% of the denatured alcohol i used as a solvent. I had used the alcohol with salt as an aggregate, and the mixture was almost black with the residue from the slide and the zong itself, but one run through my homemade solvent still and all the salt and dark gunk was left in one container and crystal clear, clean evaporating denatured alcohol in the container at the end of the condenser. Just thought I would go off on a tangent for a minute.

BTW incase anyone wants to know, I'm watering these guys about once a week, with a light concentration of fox farm's big bloom and grow big fertilizers. I flush with clean water everytime i water and then apply the fertilizer/water mixture until it comes through the drain holes at the bottom of the pots, because im super paranoid about too much fertilizer, and they seem to be doing good.

I topped elina and Igor to slow down the vertical growth while stretching occurs, don't know if that was a mistake or not.

Lemme know what you guys think, peace,

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#481366 - 09/23/10 04:53 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Just getting a second opinion...elina shot up to twice her height overnight and is showing preflowers...male or female?

cant tell on sarah yet...she's def more sativa than the other two

igor is a female...which i find ironic since elina is male im pretty sure and igor is female...ah well sex changes are cheap nowadays haha

just thought id show you the sub-canopy structure of igor...bushy little bastard...or i guess bitch now? I'm so confused now :crazy:

please feel free to comment or offer suggestions...i really dont wanna fuck this up ^_^

peace,

--------------------

Offlinecritik
Closet Monsters!
Male User Gallery

#481384 - 09/23/10 06:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

elina is a male

--------------------

"you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God's the guy that ignores you"
"I got something that will fit in that hole... its right here in my pocket"
"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #481390 - 09/23/10 06:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

welcome back Agmotes!!! :wave:

Excited to see what you can do with CFL's, always thought you were a talented gardener, but the LED's just weren't giving you enough to work with.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: CFL Cabinet Grow [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #481398 - 09/23/10 06:53 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

haha true true...someday i would love to have a place where i can grow without fear...and run a couple of 1000W HIDs and just see what i can make happen...

on the subject of LEDs

370 free CREE XR-E emitters...unfortunately they dont come with bases...so I'm currently trying to figure out how to utilize this in a DIY grow light. sounds like i have almost enough for a 400W unit :grin:

I'll let you guys know how that goes...in the meantime I'm gonna put sarah and elina under the olde choppin block and begin training igor into a bonsai mother...maybe I'll get creative with it:

peace,
agmotes165  :cool::thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #481400 - 09/23/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hey what's the wattage on those? the standard 1/10w? I see they're the nice polycarb caps instead of encapsulated gas lenses.... should be the making for a decent light if the wattage is high enough.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: CFL Cabinet Grow [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #481428 - 09/23/10 08:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

they're 1 watt a piece...although there is a larger one that i looked up and i think its closer to 5W...but yea im missing the little bases for them...dont know where to find those :sad:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#487319 - 10/12/10 05:09 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ok guys...i have an idea for this grow...and it involves converting a small coat closet into a grow room....I will be updating later with pics once my schedule evens out...right now im swamped but keep an eye out :grin:

peace and love

--------------------

OfflineOregonChronic
State of Jefferson

Loc: Oregon
    #487461 - 10/13/10 12:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
ok guys...i have an idea for this grow...and it involves converting a small coat closet into a grow room....I will be updating later with pics once my schedule evens out...right now im swamped but keep an eye out :grin:

peace and love

you killed that male right?

OfflineOregonChronic
State of Jefferson

Loc: Oregon
Re: CFL Cabinet Grow [Re: OregonChronic]
    #487538 - 10/13/10 10:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

how you get all those LED's free i wana make my own diy light too...:laugh:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: CFL Cabinet Grow [Re: OregonChronic]
    #487648 - 10/13/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

wanna trade for something?

:pm: me

and yes i killed the male

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#488468 - 10/16/10 02:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

aight guys and gals...sorry it took so long...been mega-busy

so i decided i want a big plant...get a little personal bud to last me awhile, so i have converted a coat closet to a small 2x3 foot grow room. Sorry for the sideways pics...it shows up as right side up when im editing them on my computer...but for some reason they load sideways :blush:

Basically i removed the coat rail and shelf...and tried to cut out a ventilation hole, but apparently whoever built this place decided that this particular piece of drywall didnt need to actually touch the studs behind it...so my stud-finder was not very good at seeing the studs behind the wall, hence the 3rd hole with a stud right in the middle. I basically ran ducting from the closet to the room behind it...the laundry room...where another shelf and a readily accessible outlet can be found...that shelf is where i put the fan and the carbon filter.

then, since i now have room for Igor to stretch out...i transplanted her to a nice little 8 gallon pot...If you have questions lemme know I'll try to answer them...

btw im now running 18 CFLs putting out 1750 lumens a piece in a 2x3 foot area...which works out to a calculated luminous flux of about 57000 lux...it should be noted that direct sunlight is b/w 30000 to 130000 lux...so im in there somewhere...

Peace and love everyone,
agmotes165:cool::thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#489196 - 10/18/10 03:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

well guys...i regret to inform you all that my apt. complex is coming in to inspect/clean my dryer hose...and I've had to go with my all time motto of better safe than sorry...and scrapped the whole project...Igor has been decommissioned and lies in a shallow grave in a mason jar in my freezer awaiting solvent extraction...and my closet growroom will be back to a closet by 2morrow...

sorry this didnt work out...I would have loved to see igor as a 5 foot tall bud monster...but maybe another time when i actually own my housing rather than being at the mercy of the fuckin man...as cliche as that sounds...it just steams me up so that this plant is illegal and therefore we must constantly grow in fear...but thats a rant that all stoners have heard and spoken at one point or another...

until next time...and i promise there will be a fuckin next time...they may have won this battle but we will inevitably win the war on this topic my friends..

stay strong and keep growing friends, and peace and love be with you always,

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #489202 - 10/18/10 03:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Oh, that is so sad!! I was really excited to see this. I really liked how you'd set up those cfl's...

--------------------
My best run so far

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale