Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Inverted]
    #370140 - 02/21/10 11:40 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Dont you mean Admin?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Triptonic]
    #370169 - 02/21/10 11:50 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Moderator and Admin are two different things. Admin controls all. Mod controls some.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Dephect]
    #370174 - 02/21/10 11:53 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

lol yes I know.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #370262 - 02/22/10 07:54 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

lol yes sorry... since I'm the only actual mod here... :lol:

Sorry TruHurbChristaaal. Didn't mean to clutter up your delicious thread, but now you have some useless information on a great product....?

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #371105 - 02/22/10 08:02 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Wow, you guys really took over my Grow Journal.

But you're a Moderator Harry Nutzach, so you know best. :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm going to try to take it back with today's plant status and my cheap choice in a liquid fertilizer....

*** Young Plant: Yellowing getting worst ****

Today's Date:   Febuary 22, 2010
Date Seed was Planted in Soil:  Febuary 5, 2010
Day 17

^As you can see, the outer leaves (the big ones on the bottom) are getting even more yellow than last time. And now there is some yellowing on some of the tips of the top canopy leaves. Even thou my plant is essentially dying right now, I have to admit, I like the cool new colors on the leaves. Reminds me of fall. Or rasta/Jamacia clothing. Kinda makes me feel Irie....

Taking Inverted's and Harry's Advice, I went to my local plant nursury to buy some liquid fertilizer. I wrote down the suggestions of "Neptune" and "Age Old" at the store, but didn't find any. After much looking, I looked for fertilizers that were the closest to Inverted's suggested "2-3-1" nutrient ratio, but the closest I found was a 3-3-3. I wanted to get as close as possible to the ratio, so I descided to buy a bottle of concentrated "eye-dropper" style chemical fertilizer with a nutrient ratio of 10-15-10, when divided by 5 (or multipled to 1/5) equals 2-3-2, which is pretty damn close to Inverted's suggested ratio.

The bottle is called Schultz(r) Plant Food Plus,

^At $5 a bottle, I could afford it. I know you'll guys say "That stuff sucks ba11s!" or something, especially I read this in-the-works Nutrients Article. But, I'm tight on money, which is why I went with a lame chemical fertilizer, but I figured some food is better than none. I'll switch to a better, organic one later when I find some more dough.

Before I bought the bottle, I asked the pretty girl who worked there if you could bring the levels from "10-15-10" just by using less drops in the water. She said she'd never heard that question before. Uh-oh. But she said "That does sound like good logic thou". I thought so too, because I've read in other journals people saying "I used 1/4 strenght" as meaning, they used 1/4 the recomended blend of the bottle, to bring down the concentrations of the nutrients. So, I went ahead and bought it.

So, the photos I took of my plant above were taken *before* I gave it some fertilizer food. I first had to firgure out the math to get the concentrations down to Inverted's one, or at least close.

So, the box said "7 drops per quart for indoor". So I assumed this means "7 drops per quart = 10-15-10". By this assumption, I converted Quarts into something more familiar to me, fluid ounces (fl. oz.).

Conversions:

1 Quart = 32 fl. oz.

And for getting the right concentrations...

7 drops per 32 fl. oz. = 10-15-10. So divide by 5 to get "3" from "-15-" and "2" from "10-".

7 drops * 1/5 (or 1/5 the orignal concentration) = 1.4 drops. Round up to make it practical....~2

~ 2 drops per 32 fl. oz.

So, that was my concentration. I filled up my spray bottle with *exactly* 32 fl. oz. of bottled water and put 2 drops of the Schultz stuff. Its almost like a joke, because it seems like so little to so much water. It didn't even change the color of the water the slightest, even thou the plant food is bright green. Oh well. I hope I remember NOT to use that bottle for spary my perlite pan (currently in use, for increasing humidity). Probably won't make much of a difference anyway.

I also read this on label that I found pretty interesting and encouraging:

"Feeds through roots and leaves as you water"

^From this statement, I descided to water the soil pretty heavily and water the leaves themselves, because according to Schultz, you can feed your leaves directly thru the leaves. I hope they're right....

Here's after I sprayed the soil AND leaves with the diluted liquid chemical fertilizer....

Hopefully in a couple hours, it will show some improvement. If not, I might have to bury my daughter....I sure hope not! :omgz:

I'll be back on Tuesday with the results...

Liquid Drip-Food Now in Effect
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #371115 - 02/22/10 08:14 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Good, I use that same fertilizer to supplement my organic fish and seaweed.  It worked just fine.

I didn't read your whole post yet but damn man, she is starving for some food, badly.  FEED HER!  Fill a gallon, and put 4 full dropperfulls in there and give her a good soaking.  Please before it gets any worse.

I'll be back later to reply to the rest of your post.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#371116 - 02/22/10 08:15 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

And make sure you SHAKE THE BOTTLE before use.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#371128 - 02/22/10 08:25 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

A whole gallon with 4 FULL dropperfulls. Roger!

Now, what to use as a container....Hmmm....:strokebeard:

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #371131 - 02/22/10 08:28 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Milk jug.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #371140 - 02/22/10 08:36 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
Milk jug.

Tablespoon :rofl2:

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Triptonic]
    #371153 - 02/22/10 08:43 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

:rofldrunk:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #371172 - 02/22/10 08:56 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

I got lucky! I found an old water jug in my closest! Whew! No tablespoon for this guy, no no....

I did what you said Inverted, I took the bottle, shook the Hell out of it, and sucked up 4 FULL droppers and then empyted into 1 gallon of tap water. I didn't have enough bottled water, so I just used tap. The water here is pretty fresh and nice-tasting (likely cause it rains a lot here), so I think  my plant will be fine.

^And I can really see that green tint now: Seems like a *much* better mixture than my silly 2 drops per quart technique.

After that, I filled up my water-bottle and sprayed the hell out of my plant, mostly the soil. Its pretty much soaked now. Sorry root growth!

I hope it gets better....I don't wanna death's to happen: that'd award me the Worst Father of the Month award....no one wants that reward.

One question Inverted: Should I *always* use the 4 dropper-fulls per gallon mixture for the entire vegging period or is this just because of my plant's starving emergency? Is it not too high for normal use? 

Thanks for stopping by before I did something stupid....

Eat Up Buddana
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #371254 - 02/22/10 10:32 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Great Grow log:thumbup:

You have saved me a lot of trouble with finding a way to create a gravity drip system.

I am going to try the two gallon jug myself but apply PVC glue to the spout to seal it in place and then find a way to attach the house that will prevent leaking

If I am successful I will let you know! Thanks for the info!!!!5*

--------------------
x:tongue:

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #371273 - 02/22/10 11:15 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks MushroomMan! I'm guessing you won't be using that Gravity Drip System for mushrooms.....

I'm glad you like my grow log. And I'm happy to hear that I've inspired you to make your own gravity drip system for your grow.

So on those 2.5 gallon tubs with the plastic spouts, you're going to use PVC glue to hold the spout in place (so it doesn't move around) then attach the hose? Interesting...:strokebeard:

Remember, use Rubber O-rings of the right diameter on the stem-hose interface: they make ALL the difference.

^And make sure the thickness of the O-rings is *exactly* the diameter between the plastic stem and the hose (which is larger than the plastic stem, by say 1/16" to 1/8"). In other words, the O-Ring fits snuggly between the inside of the hose and the outside of the water jug stem.

And then use metal clamps to hold down the hose so it doesn't leak. Oh, and don't forget to make a hole on top of the jug to prevent vacuum lock and provide constant drip flow.

And if you canm, try find a multi-turn gate valve and *not* a 1/4 turn On-Off ball valve. My guess is that since gate valves require multiple turns to turn on-off, you will have finer control of the amount of drip. My current problem with my gravity drip system is that my ball valve is very sensentive to even the littlest turn, which makes it hard to find the "perfect" drip rate. Its takes a lot of time to get the drip rate just right, and if I had a gate valve, I'm thinking it would be a lot easier.

- As for its use: Like Harry said, its not good for rooting when there's a constant water drip on the roots/soil. I've learned that roots grow a lot better when you kinda starve it of water by only watering the plant every few days and let the soil dry out almost completely, whichs is kinda ironic, because most growers here say "Avoid stressing your plant". But, if you go on vacation for long periods of time, then the gravity drip system is great for keeping those plants alive. Also, it might work like it was intended if your plant is fully-grown, and does not need to grow more roots, and benefits from a constant water supply but I'm not sure if that's true.

I hope you're successful. If you need any help with the materials/measurements/parts, just shoot me a PM.

Good Luck! :awesome::thumbup:

Drip-Trippy

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #371385 - 02/23/10 08:47 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

it might be better if you could find a way to hook it up to a timer so that it gives it a good watering automatically every 3 days or so....

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #371480 - 02/23/10 02:14 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Oh man your plant is looking rough and I can't diagnose exactly what's wrong.

Yes the 4 dropperfull amount is just this one time.  I do 2 droppers for every feeding.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #371505 - 02/23/10 02:27 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

do you have any airflow around the plant? I would suggest getting a light fan of some sort blowing on it. this will not only aid in keeping the soil from molding, but it will assist the plant in transpiring, which will draw moisture from the soil/roots into the air, which will prevent root rot.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #371678 - 02/23/10 04:34 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Yup, got a fan blowing: its a 12" (see photo below).

*** Young Plant Status: Yellowing and Tacoing has stopped, but has not reversed completely ***

Today's Date: Febuary 23, 2010
Seed Planting Date: Febuary 5, 2010
Day 18

^Photo 2 from left: Largest fan leaves are still yellow, and they look like they are going to die.
Photo 3 from Left: The large TOP leaves are still taco'ed, with minor yellowing on leaf tips. 
Photo 4 from Left: The top canopy with the tiny leaves are looking much better than before. They are the only ones that the tacoing has reversed on. Seems like the liquid food is working, at least slightly.

Here's the fan I've been blowing on it constantly when the lights are on. Its a 12" fan. It does NOT run during the dark hours (which last 8 hours), maybe that's the problem? Does it have to run ALL the time?

^It also dries the top-soil out pretty fasty, like in a couple hours from watering.

Also, I was thinking maybe its the clay pot: its a used one. Before I used it, it had a plant in there that died from a lack of watering. To prep it for my girl plant, I only washed it with hot water and scrub the inside, but I did NOT washed it with bleach, which some of the readings I've heard recomends to do, to sterilize it. Could that be the problem? Maybe the roots have reached the edge of the pot and are absorbing some bad chemicals there?

I also thought maybe the copper wire (I used for the drip system), that is currently taped to the outside of clay pot is somehow absorbing the water and transferring some copper back to the soil, and causing copper poisioning in my plant? To me, it sounds like a stretch, but the clay pot is quite porus and I know some living things don't do well around copper.

I'll give the fertilizer a few more days to see if the plant gets better before I start to panic. Other than that, it seems to be getting better, just slowly, maybe too slow to precieve. Maybe its just my wishful thinking.

>>> More Bad News: Stealthing Falling Apart <<<

One side of my taped-up improv'd stealthing finally fell down. Most likely caused by the heat coming from the space heaters on the floor, rising up and pealing off the tape. I guess I'm not going to use cloth anymore: only black plastic bags. I just hope it didn't fall down in the morning, while I was sleeping, which would make an unusual light pattern on the drapes. 

Well, time for some repairs....This hobby is a lot more work than I thought.

Can't Wait til it gets better
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#371704 - 02/23/10 05:27 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Well it honestly doesn't look any worse in the last pictures, which is a good thing.  Each update was getting progressively worse, and it seemed to stop, so hopefully in the next 2-3 days you will start to see more green and less yellow.  I'm almost positive this all stems from a lack of nutrients from the start.  I had a plant that was very healthy after a week, but quickly showed deficiencies which I overlooked, and after another week my plant was nearly dead, with NO green leaves left.  I gave it a GOOD feeding of the Schultz and within a few days she started coming back to life, and all of the new growth was bright nice green.

I can't stress enough that this is not as easy as it looks, like you said.  Most people just think you plant a seed in soil, water it and give it light and VIOLA, NUGGIES!!!  Sadly it's not even close to that easy.

You need to practice your patience, and maybe leave her unattended for a couple days.  Sometimes that seems to help when there is nothing else you can do.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #371808 - 02/23/10 07:51 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

well it looks better to me. :shrug: not out of the woods left, but it's stopped getting worse.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds