Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #358484 - 02/06/10 02:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The bark is only there to help with aeration of the soil. If you added perlite you could safely pick out all of the bark with no ill side-effects.

also, just get the soil around the seed completely wet. in 2-3 days they'll all be germinated anyway so you won't really have to worry about it being too wet. some people germinate in a cup full of water so there's really no upper limit to the amount of water seeds can handle

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe man

Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #358487 - 02/06/10 02:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ya fiber pots or peat pots are meant to be used to transplant easy. clay are also not good they harbor root terrorists esp after first use, aswell as dry your soil out really fast(good for cacti). you should not worry about over watering, plastic pots have drainage holes. if you mix your soil properly with sand or perlite, you will have plenty of drainage.also clay pots typically have less drainage holes ie 1, so it is harder to flush and the water passes through the clay which will build up salts!!. anyway maybe keep it in mind for next time. dont stress too much.

another point that i just thought of is clay acts like a refrigerator on your roots as the water evaps out of the pot it removes the heat. depending on your situation that usually is not a good thing.

Edited by the man (02/06/10 02:22 PM)

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #358488 - 02/06/10 02:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good point, my friend.

I think next time, I'll be adding some perlite for aeration, because the Fox Farm doesn't have much bark or perlite in it anyway.

Also good point about the seed soaking. I was thinking about that when I sprayed the soil with water, but then I thought "Oh, I don't wanna drown the seed in too much water", but then I realize that growers use cups filled with water to sprout so I thought, "Nah, I can't drown it when other growers use the cup/paper towel technique." I guess I'll be spraying a little more water *just* around the seed. I made the mistake of misting all the top-soil, but mostly around the seed, to simulate light rainfall. Thanks to you Harry, I know just around the seed is good enough.

Thanks HB
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #358496 - 02/06/10 02:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Foxfarm is good stuff though, you dont really need to add or remove anything from it.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: Triptonic]
    #358504 - 02/06/10 03:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

actually trip that's not really true. almost everyone who uses foxfarm adds perlite to it. you don't really NEED to, but it's definitely beneficial.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #358507 - 02/06/10 03:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
actually trip that's not really true. almost everyone who uses foxfarm adds perlite to it. you don't really NEED to, but it's definitely beneficial.

Actually you correct me then say that its not needed. So I was right. I dont know why you feel need to correct me all the time.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) [Re: Triptonic]
    #358521 - 02/06/10 03:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Edited by Harry_Ba11sach (02/06/10 06:11 PM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) *DELETED* [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #358549 - 02/06/10 03:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Harry_Ba11sach

Reason for deletion: enough

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Automated Closet Project (FirstGrow)(Pre-Seeds) *DELETED* [Re: Triptonic]
    #358554 - 02/06/10 04:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Harry_Ba11sach

Reason for deletion: cleaning up this thread

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#358557 - 02/06/10 04:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Easy Fella's...lets take it outside.... :matrixfight:

Here's the Current Conditions *near* pot:

Time: 3:06pm Friday Feb. 6, 2010
Lighting: 3 bulbs are on, total 80 watts CFL
Fan: On, about 3.5 ft. away now (its was getting too cold at 3 ft)
Temp: 78.6F

- Just sparyed some water over the seed because the soil was getting a little dry. A rubber-band was added and the old plastic wrap was removed with a larger replacement.

DONE.

~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #360332 - 02/08/10 08:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

*** Seed Status ****
Date: Feb. 8, 2010
Day 3

I got a sprout! Yes, the old "plant in soil" tricked worked great! Here's what I found when I woke up today. It was like Christmas morning...
:smile2:

And then here's later in the day, around 4:45PM....
-> Now I can dance! :awedance:

^Kinda looks like the Piriana plant from Super Mario! Might have to photoshop mario in that photo someday.....

And I added an extra bulb to my hanging lamp, because of an bulb experiment I did for the "Do Lumens add up" thread.
-> It was attached to the inside of the dish using double-stick tape. Now its in the best orientation. Facing horizontal so that the longer lenght of the bulb faces the plant.
    After my experiment, I've desicided to scrap my previous light idea and go for a custom-built arrangment so I can arrange bulbs on a horizontal plane, which gives the best light output for a CFL bulb.

I will be building it using 1x2 wood strips and a bunch of extension cords hooked up to a power strip. The orientation of the bulbs will look like this (top-view, looking down on it): = = , in which each line in the equal sign is a bulb hanging in a horizontal position. with step-by-step photos in the future. It should be an interesting and more efficient design. Now what to do with all these clamp lights that I should NOT have bought. Should of just Did It Myself in the beginning....oh well, I know better now.

So far, so good....
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~ :leaf:

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/11/10 05:17 AM)

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #360624 - 02/09/10 07:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Something like this?

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: pha3r0]
    #360699 - 02/09/10 12:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yup, thats pretty much what I was thinking of Pha3r0.

Except the bulbs would be a lot closer to each other, like a half inch apart, to concentrate the light. And instead of a piece of plywood on top, there would be just some reflective material covering the top, likely in a "greenhouse" airplane-hanger top curve to it, to make it more efficient in reflecting.

Is that your set-up? That's pretty cool, did you build that wooden box yourself? And is that in a full-sized fridge? Or maybe just a mini-fridge? How did those plants turn out?

Its interesting that in that photo, you are using different sized bulbs, small on the left, large on the right. Is there a stragedy going on there?

Good Design idea regarless,
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#361503 - 02/10/10 07:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah that is the setup I made it's not 'mine' but come harvest day I will be getting a cut for my efforts.

I put it all on a wood box so I could hang and adjust them easy It took a bit longer to wire up but it works very well. The different sized light are just because we can't find the ones we really want yet. The large ones are 65w 2700k we want 4 of them. The small ones are 14w 6500k and they are just filling in till all four 65w'ers are in hand. Which might not be till next cycle the one plant has 130w of CFL over it and 29 more watts of blue hanging off to the edge prolly enough given the square footage of the box (more would be better but the big ones are 16 bucks each)

Yeah it is in an old upright freezer (Guide here) and I did everything from scratch in an afternoon and some change. This is the first cycle but it is going well.(grow log here)

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#362150 - 02/11/10 05:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

***Seedling Status: Healthy ***

Date When Seed was Planted:  Febuary 5, 2010
Today's Date: Thurday, Febuary 11, 2010 (early Morning)
Day 5

Well, its been awhile since my last journal post, and my little girl is growing up so fast! I'm so proud of her! (*Tearful smile*)

Here she is a day ago, Tuesday, Febuary 9, 2010.

And here she is just last night on Wednesday. Feb. 10, 2010.

^Comments: The little mayy leaves look a lot more healthy and "perky" than just a day ago. Might have been the horizontal bulb I put on the lamp on Tuesday. Or maybe my increased time on the light cycle. Can't really be sure at the moment.
- I love how there are there are those broad, "generic" cotyledon leaves, then right next to it, it has 2 classic ganja leaves growing out the sides. Its like every plant has those same generic baby cotyledon leaves, regardless of the species. Pretty interesting. What's also interesting is that when I zoomed into this photo, I swear I could see tiny white crystals. So soon? I don't believe it. Well, since it has TinyHerbCrystals, I'm going to pluck off the weed leaves and smoke 'em......just joking! But I thought about, nah....I'm not THAT impacient. Its just weird that I can see them already, unless its something else entirely....Anybody know?

My current light schedule is about 12 hours ON, 12 hours OFF, but after reading around here, I've discovered that 12-on/12-off is used for flowering, not vegging. So, I have been currently increasing the time by half-an-hour to an hour each day to reduce stress on the young girl, to the goal of 16 hours per day for the rest of its
vegging schedule.

And this is my typical manual watering schedule.

9-10am - Soil is dry from last watering at around 11pm. I Water till its wet on top layer

4pm-5pm soil is dry again. Water til its wet.

7pm - watered again. still damp.

7:30pm - lights go off. Watering is not as rapid (since light and desktop fan is not drying out the top-soil).

8pm - watered again. still damp.

11-11:30pm - final water. I soak it this time

And since every time I check the soil, its totally dry, I am going to switch over to my simple
gravity drip system very soon so that I don't accidently kill my baby from lack of water. It seems that the soil is drying out faster everyday.

On Thursday, I'll be working on improving my lighting system by making a custom-built wooden frame to fit 6 seperate 26-27watt CFL bulbs. That sould be enough light.

I love my daughter...
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/21/10 06:13 PM)

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#365077 - 02/16/10 05:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

*** Seedling Update: First Set of New Leaves ***

Seed was planted on: Febuary 5
Date: Feburary 16, 2010
Day 11

^The center stem is starting to show signs of tiny new sets of leaves growing. I'm very pleased with the growth thus far. Also, if you noticed in the bottom-right corner, there is a clear hose and a round wooden stick. That is the drip line for my newly installed gravity drip system (see below in "System Installed"). If you also notice, the soil is SOAKED! Its from the drip system, which the drip rate is very touchy to get on the 1/4 ball valve. I need to find a better alternative or solution before it drowns my plants. 

I've been slowly adding minutes to the outlet timer, 15 minutes per day to be exact, to get to the vegging time to 18 hours a day. I'm currently at about 17 hours 45 minutes of light per day.

->>
Construction Upgrade: Lighting <<-

In the past few days, I've made some major upgrades to the lighting system based on the poor results of my solar panel experiment I did for the "Do Lumens add up?" thread. I've actually just scraped the whole over-head clamp lamp and just went all in and built a custom wooden-frame housing to mount corded light sockets on.

Here's the cost of all the supplies I used...

$65 Dollars, not including the $4 I spent on mylar at K-Hole Mart, so the total is $69 (kinda sexy no?). Much more $$$ than the $15 for the clamp lamp, but I think its going to out-perform that lamp with much more efficiently in light output. I'm glad this is my last big purchase, since after all, light is one of the most important factor to a healthy plant: not enough light, the plant will suffer.

Here's the actual Materials I bought with that $65.

And here's the Tools I used to build this lighting frame (all of which I already owned, thank goodness)

*Not Pictured or factored into total: Bulbs. They were in use, so I didn't put them in frame. 27 watters cost about $1.50 for a set of 2 in my area.

In order to do it right, I drew up some plans and took some measurements and wrote it all down....

For the wood cuts, I needed 6 pieces altogether: 2 long ones for the width of the frame, 2 shorter ones for the depth of the frame, and 2 short strips to fit in-between the frame for supporting the light bulbs.

Next, I did some pretty labor intensive cutting with my hand saw....

After all the pieces were cut, I drilled holes (to prevent wood spliting) in all the places screws were going. After that, I used 1-1/4" dry wall screws to attach the frame together. I also screwed in 4 eye-hole screws on each corner to attach string to later, so I can hang it in the closet.

Getting the internal wooden pieces to fit was a pain. I had to do some serious hand sanding using 60-grit paper, which took longer than I wanted. Next time, I'm going to cut those internal pieces *after* I screw the frame together, so I can measure the *exact* lenght I need. A lesson learned....

Next, I taped the bulbs with adapters and $1 cords (so cheap!) to the wooden planks. Now that's the kind of clustering I like!

After that, I took my thin bare copper wire and added to the frame to make the custom reflector. After taping the wire onto the frame with Gorilla duct tape, I added the last of my double-stick tape to the copper wire, so I could stick the Mylar sheeting to it.

Cut out some mylar sheeting and layered it so its 2-sheets thick (since 1-ply loses a lot of light). I taped the sheets together, then attached it to the frame *on the inside* to make it most reflective.

Here's an Mylar upskirt shot of the final completed version of my new lighting system. Your so naughty Mrs. Woody...

Then, I added some lenghts of string on each eye hook, and tied it all up to those adjustable hooks (hanging vertical, above the frame) and finally hung it from the closet rail. It came out nicely balanced on the first try. I am happy with my construction skills....Hurray! :laugh:

Wide shot of the entire closet. I'm quite pleased on how it looks

And here's a shot level with the new frame and the tiny plant beneath it.

There are still some things I need to upgrade....

1) Light can be seen coming from the top mylar sheeting. That needs to be improved.
2) Bulbs are too far inside the frame. It would be better if they hung *underneatht* the wooden planks, instead on top. It will give my plant more light at well. I just got to find a suitable straping material to hold it up so it doesn't fall on my plant.......Hmmmm, what to use....:strokebeard:
3) The Reflective frame needs to be removable, so that bulbs can be changed easily. Right now, its kinda "permanent" with duct tape. I was thinking of drilling holes in the wood, and placing the ends of the wire inside the holes, which gravity will hold in place.

~>>
System Installed and Active: Gravity Drip System <<~

As discussed in the notes on the first photo, I finally set-up and intergrated my gravity drip system, and it works great! I will be discussing in detail what I did to make it work in a future journal entry since this one is already getting ridiculously long.

And the drip action might be working a little too great....

The valve to control the dripping is way to impercise to get the *right* drip rate of say, 1 small drip per 15 seconds. Its either Drip-drip-drip or no drip, or a drip so slow, you can't see in real-time, you have to come back and look at it, to see if the tubing has filled up.

I have one solution in mind to fix the drip rate imprecision: use a multi-turn gate valve. With a gate valve, you can slowly up the valve (a "gate") for the water to come out, which is finer control than a 1/4-turn ball valve where a few milimeters is the difference between crazy drip rate and no drip.
I just don't know if there are gate valves with brass barbed ends....I'll have to take a look.

So, this is what the resiviour looks like. Its a 2 litter clear plastic soda bottle I bought for $0.50 (what a deal!)

And here's the end of the drip line, a small diameter hose right near my little girl. Drink up baby...its all you have.

^To hold the hose in place, I used some copper wire, tape, and a piece of a 3/8" wide wooden dowel to push down on the tubing. Works great! Actually, the whole system works better than I expected it would (no leaks! :awesome:), I just got to find a more precise valve (gate valve?) to get that drip rate dialed-in.

Well, that's about it. In the future, I'll discuss how I made that drip system work....and of course, the growth status of my plant.

I Love a Good Upgrade :sunny:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/16/10 04:37 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #365142 - 02/16/10 10:33 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Dude I'm loving that little DIY reflector and assembly... Fucking lol I love it.

I'm pretty much speechless.  It looks great.  But scrap the drip system, just pay attention and hand water when needed or that thing will be overwatered in no time.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Inverted]
    #365167 - 02/16/10 12:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Dude I'm loving that little DIY reflector and assembly... Fucking lol I love it.

I'm pretty much speechless.  It looks great.  But scrap the drip system, just pay attention and hand water when needed or that thing will be overwatered in no time.

I agree with every single word in this post

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: All CFL Semi-Auto Closet Project (FirstGrow)('Flower' Seed) [Re: Inverted]
    #365393 - 02/16/10 06:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Inverted, Harry, I'm glad you both like my homemade silliness to the point that you're "pretty much speechless". Whoa dude...:stoned:

As for the drip system, I'm getting better at the fine-tuning the ball valve. As I'm writing this, the drip is on a slow, 1 drip per about ~10 seconds, which is so slow, I have to watch the tubing for awhile to see that its actually dripping. And I *always* check the soil to see if its too wet. When its too damp, I turn off the valve and let it dry out and then go back to hand watering. But *right now*, I think I hit the golden zone....perfect rate, not too fast, and not too slow.

And, I always turn it off right before I go to bed, because the lights are not on to dry them out....

I'm still going to try that gate valve, if THAT's not precise enough to get that "golden" drip rate, then I'll only use on vacations or when I sleep for 12 hours.

And one more thing I forgot to add to my journal....

>>> Add-On Upgrade: 80mm Computer Fan <<<<

To help with the increased heat coming off the four 26 watt CFL bulbs, I hung a small 80mm PC fan from my custom light housing using some extra bare copper wire I had (I love this stuff, its so universal). 

-> Overhead view of the wire hangers
^The fan also helps with strengthening the stem of the plant since its closer to the plant then the other large Osi plant. But I think I will switch it to the opposite side of the wooden frame to balance out plant stem, because right now its 'Leaning like a Cholo'....gotta straighten her out and bring her to the Light Side.

Hard Work...Good Fun
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #365398 - 02/16/10 06:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

to be honest, you'd be better off just letting the plant dry out completely for 2-3 days between waterings at this point to encourage root growth. it seems pretty likely to me that your plant will end up over-watered even at 1 drip per 10 seconds. the worst issue here is not that the plant growth might be stunted (in all honesty the plant itself will most likely look fine), but root growth is encouraged only when the plant is stressed for water. if the plant is too wet then the roots won't have incentive to grow and your yields and flowering time will both suffer as a result.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom