Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt (SPIDER MITES GONE)
    #822743 - 01/17/17 10:59 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

After a long hiatus, im back at growing da weed.

A little history. My first grow was going great, an indoor all cfl grow, but i got caught by the cops with my big mouth and they killed my plant. Fail One.

Fail two last year. I tried to grow an OG Kush outdoors. It got cold, i killed it. Very sad.

Third attempt, today in 2017.

I got these two plants for Christmas as an Xmas present from my GF. And she was kind enough to gift me a "Grow/Hangout Space" in the upstairs garage as well.

This is about three weeks into the grow....

Purple Martian:

Blue City Diesel:

Changes Ive made so far: Ive currently got two large black pots (not sure the size). These ones pictured will be their final pots. They came from the small starter pots that most herbs u buy at stores come in. Ive changed the lighting. For 3 weeks, BCD had a 27 watt 5,000K CFL inside an old desktop lamp and the PurMar had a 19 watt 5,000K CFL bulb hanging from a wire. Both plants are inside FoxFarm Ocean soil and Im using FoxFarm Grow Big liquid ferts with a 1-2 capful to 1 gallon mix rate. Also, Ive cut some sick-looking leaves off or just trimmed them to help the plants grow better.

I didnt take any good pics at the time I was gifted them at Christmas, so these are my starting photos.

Future Plans:

In the near future, I want to create a nice-looking homemade cedar wood Hang-man type structure that goes around the pots (one structure for each pot) to hold up a custom-made wooden light holder. The wooden light holder will hold my grow bulbs and will be supported by chains connected to the Hangman-type structure.

Hopefully soon. Right now the lighting is jerry-rigged but works :shrug:

Why CFL?

Three reasons why Im using CFL over HID or HPS. First, its what I started with back on my first grow in 2010. I want to see what results i can get with just CFL lighting. Secondly, its quite cost effective and efficient and i dont have to spend a ton of money on it. Third, it provides some heat with light. I feel that LED wouldnt make enough heat (Im not using a heater yet, hopefully not ever). I need some heat from the light source to warm the plants up a bit since it is January in the PNW and its quite cold at night. Sometimes freezing. Ive noticed slow growth which i expected from the cold weather.

Next grow I might try other lighting options. But for today, Im liking the CFLs. Shitty house lights but great grow lights :yesnod:

Will make posts with major updates in the future. Stay tuned....

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (07/05/17 10:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblueberry D
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #822764 - 01/18/17 08:32 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Good luck, and you know what "they" say if at first you don't succeed try,try again. A little advice I'd get a digital thermometer n see what ur temps are overnight, if it gets as cold as you say you might wake up to a dead plant.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: blueberry D]
    #822775 - 01/18/17 11:04 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

good point.

I will look into that. Also, i just found out Ocean Forest is loaded with organic ferts so i should feed plain water to my plants. Im avoiding Ocean Foest next time, i didnt know it was "pre-fertilized". Me no like that.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #822919 - 01/22/17 06:26 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet grow man I'll be watching . I use ffoc soil good stuff don't have to feed for like the first months easy peasy ! But each to there own!

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #822948 - 01/24/17 03:50 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Yah, i stopped feeding when i read in a thread the soil is "hot" (meaning packing with nutrients).

Im trying both water and diulted Grow Big to see what happens.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#822986 - 01/25/17 05:56 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Update: Jan 22nd, 2017

*Purple Martian*

My Purple Martian is doing pretty good. Ive noticed some purple on the leaves! I hope thats from the strain and not some nutrient deficiency.

Ive also noticed the lower leaves are browning on the edges. Not sure why.

But its grown quite a bit in one week :smile:

- Blue City Diesel -

Nice green on my Blue City. The lower leaves do have more browning on the edges than the Purple Martian, but I will deal with that later.

There is some green/light-green splochyness on the leaves. Not sure what that is.

Also i noticed some purple coloring on the top leaves. Not sure if its from the strain or not.

Still pleased :smile:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#822995 - 01/26/17 07:09 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldnt feed them!Give just plain water phed . Those plants are def. burn and or  locked up? Just give them plain water for a while they should bounce back and green up.keep us updated also you can tell by the stem being purple don't think its strain realated.

Edited by budgrowerwannabe (01/26/17 07:14 AM)

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #823011 - 01/26/17 11:37 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah those plants look pretty unhappy. I'd do what bud grower suggested.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #823015 - 01/26/17 04:33 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

alright, will do.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#823030 - 01/27/17 02:28 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Could it also be cold stress?

I was reading and it said here that cold can make stems go purple: https://www.growery.org/2991/Diagnosis

Im growing in my garage and it has no heating and no insulation. Likely geta into the low 40s.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: TrueHerbCrystal] * 1
    #823040 - 01/27/17 07:08 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

yes it could be from cold but dang The growth is slowed by cold too you need to find a way to heat your grow up to 70 or 75

That also could be y your plants are having a hard time. Its always sunny and 75 in my basement lol

If your soil gets to cold roots might die and slow growth too  Just put a heater out there of some kind and get a thermometer so you know what your grow room is . Trust me you bring the temp up to 70-75 your plants will love it  Just tryin to help ya out:stayfunky:

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#823045 - 01/27/17 02:15 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

thanks.

Wish i could but the power bill is currently really high and i cant heat the room. My GF pays the power since its her house.

They sadly gotta live in the cold for a bit :shrug:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#823048 - 01/27/17 03:02 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Well man this is what i think then if your going to take the risk and grow them might as well grow them well. Maybe you could move them inside ?? No sense in taking that chance and them turning out bad. Im just sayin:wellidunno:

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#823049 - 01/27/17 04:07 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

True. cant put inside the house, no room.

If they die, i will be sad but order some brand-name seeds :wink:

But im confident they will survive.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#823260 - 01/30/17 10:22 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I just put a cardboard box (Ghetto Tek!!!) around my Purple Martian. It wasnt looking so good, getting purple in the leaves and stems, likely from the cold. Im hoping this will help it out.

Definitely looking forward to spring time :sunny:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#823295 - 01/31/17 07:53 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Hope it helps ya out!

Offlinenewbie2shoes
Stranger

#823320 - 01/31/17 02:03 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Best of luck on your gorow OP.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Only CFL Indoor Soil Grow - Purple Martian & Blue City Diesel - 3rd Grow Attempt [Re: newbie2shoes]
    #823334 - 01/31/17 09:03 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

thanks guys.

I bought some cedar wood from H.D., and some electrical stuff to make a lighting overhang thang, but i checked my bank account, and i overspent :nonono:

Sadly, i gotta return the $38 of parts i bought. oh well, i will wait till a few weeks from now...

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#823367 - 02/02/17 10:16 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

So some good news.

My GF gave me $40 for food so i could keep my stuff i bought.

Heres the wood i bought for my naturalistic light hangers:

Heres the completed thang on my Purple Martian:

And heres the wide-shot with both plants :awesome:

So glad they came out like i imagined them. In the future, im going to make an add-on for a cedar frame that holds the lights and reflects them too.

OfflineGrit
    #823396 - 02/04/17 06:50 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I like that bigfoot poster!!! Hey, good luck with this grow!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder