Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s *UPDATE 9/19*
    #475189 - 09/10/10 04:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Jilly Bean and Pandora - Indoor soil w/CFL’s

Using rock wool to start clones
Move into dixies @ 3-5 inches
Move into 1gal pots @ 8-10 inches
Move into 3gal pots @ 14+ inches (just started using 3 gal pots. Before, it was in a 1 gal all the way to harvest)

Growing medium:
FFOF w/50% perlite added

Just started doing this; before they had been using MG (horrible, I know! lol).

Lights:

(Flowering Room) CFL’s, 17, 50 watt and 3, 150 watt f/s along with 10, 40 watt, T-8 lights on the floor, pointing up.
(Veg Room) CFL’s, 3 150 watt f/s.

Temp lvl:

Ranges between 70 and 90.

Nutes:

GH: FloraGro & FloraBloom, Hardwater FloraMicro.  2-1-6, 0-5-4, and 5-0-1, respectively

Pruning/Training techniques:

None at this point, pruning fan leaves as needed to allow more light penetration only.

So…. This is not a “from scratch” operation. A friend of mine asked for assistance, and my wife and I are gladly giving what we can. So far, there have been a few issues we’ve been able to recognize and remedy without too much difficulty, but there’s a history here that’s almost unforgivable…

We have two plants remaining from a batch of 15 that started out in hydro buckets. They were going pretty well, and I guess they got three or four plants all the way to harvest and got some pretty dense, tasty buds off them. But then there began a humidity and algae issue of some sort (not sure, this was before we came into the picture) that started to kill the plants. This caused them to worry that hydro was not working, and they abandoned the plan, and put the plants into soil (they had done one soil grow before they switched to hydro). Now, not only did they put the basket AND plant into the soil, but before putting it into the soil, they took the plants into the bathroom and under the tap water, washed the black algae growth off the roots. This procedure caused about half the remaining plants to die, and only 4 or 5 survived the whole ordeal.

Now, we’ve got the two youngest of those plants in pots, one about 2-4 days from harvesting, the second about two weeks off. There are 8 total in the flowering room now, and 6 or 7 in the veg room, all staggered to about 10-14 days apart.

We’re trying to put together a feeding and watering schedule for them to stick to, and it seems to be working to feed the plants in the grow room every other day, and watering every day in between with R/o water. I’m still working on the ones in the veg room.

There’s a couple things I’d like some advice and comments about… The P/h lvl in the soil… I’m not sure how exactly to check that, that what to do to increase or decrease it.

Second, I’m wondering if it’s a bad idea to be switching pots so many times. I’ve got them going from dixies into a 1 gallon, then into a 3 gallon, and I don’t know if that’s gonna be too many shocks to the roots or not.

Also, on the oldest two plants, it seems that the branches aren’t strong enough to hold up the cola’s well, and they seem like they’re liable to snap at any moment. Is there any way to strengthen the stems, and is there a good way to string them up so they don’t cause too much stress on the plant?

I think that’s all that we can think of at the moment. We’re tinkering with them every day, so we’ll definitely be back with more questions for people though… And I'm working on getting a decent camera to use, too. The only one I have available to me atm is the crappy one on my phone.

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/19/10 01:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: Tank333]
    #475396 - 09/11/10 01:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, tonight we watered and fed all the plants but the oldest.
The two that were just introduced to the budding cycle we put 2 tsp of Flora gro/micro/bloom in a gallon, and they took about 1/3 of the gallon in each.
The oldest plant we decided was ready to go, and wasn't watered or fed... :stoned:
The five others each split a gallon of water with 1/2/3 tsp of Flora gro/micro/bloom mixed in. One of the plants seemed to be a bit wet still from last night, so it didn't get much food, as I was a little worried of over watering.

None of these plants have been pruned much at all. My friend had said that he "let them grow as they wanted", and he felt it was doing well. I reminded him about how when you don't prune your apple trees, you end up with  hundreds of really small apples, but when you prune it and shape the tree to maximize yield, you'll end up with bigger, tastier apples. Once I put it that way, he told me to prune as I saw fit, and I did. We only removed a couple from each plant, so we wouldn't shock it too badly (they were just all moved into 3gal. pots just 3 nights ago, except the two we transferred tonight). The younger plants each got three of their lower, smaller branches removed, and the older ones had one or two taken off that were just not going to go anywhere.

So, once we trimmed up yellowing leaves, and cleaned everything up, we took the oldest inside to be harvested. We took off 18 nice large colas, and trimmed them up. We'll be making some nice hash and butter from the stems and leaves here shortly! :grin:

I would like some input on curing methods though. I do know that you're supposed to hang it in the dark for a while, then put it in a bag, or a jar, or on a screen? I've heard lots of vague ideas but never really got good exact times from anyone... and I've heard lots of different times mentioned too, anywhere from 7 days to 45+! Is that long really necessary, and if so, why? What would be the benefits from curing it that long?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinetreefer
ganja smuggler
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #475477 - 09/11/10 10:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

whats up with some pictures man?!!

alright your going to want to hang them in a warm, dry place, and dark too.  You could hang them in a closet or in a cardboard box seems to be the preffered method. let them dry for 1-2 weeks, until you can snap them stems, and there is no bending or stringyness to the stems.

Once you've got them dry, you will want to put them in sealed mason jars, fill the jars 3/4 of the way, there should not be very much air space, but some at least, so you can turn the buds in the jar. If you want, go ahead and wrap the jars in duck or electical tape to block the light out, and then you are going to want to open the jar and vent the nugs 3 times a day, for about 10 minutes, and every time you vent them turn the nugs. This is to help get the excess moisture out and keep your nugs from molding. if you don't vent them, and just keep the jars sealed up you will most likely end up with moldy  nugs.
curing can take as little as 2-3 weeks, but the longer u cure, the better ur buds are gonna be. I cure my buds for 3-5 weeks, its all about preference, i like the best tasting buds i can get.
ive heard of curing for a year +, to get some unbelievable nuggets.

--------------------
Free Your Mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: treefer]
    #475481 - 09/11/10 10:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Wow! A year+? That's just insane. Thank you for you input.

We currently have them hanging in the closet. The person we're helping normally hangs them for a few days then puts them on a suspended screen for a few more days. I'm going to try to convince him to let this one cure a little longer, say 2 weeks, before moving them to the screen.

The more methods We hear about the better, so if anyone out there has any other idea please bring them to the table.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinetreefer
ganja smuggler
 User Gallery

#475485 - 09/11/10 10:52 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

just to make sure that you're clear on what curing is,

the first part-the hanging, and such- is drying the nugs, the actual curing part is when you put them into the jars and all that.

I know what you are talking about with the screen, its a way to get the trichromes and such that fall while drying and trimming and make some fine hash, this is still part of the drying stage though, i believe

--------------------
Free Your Mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#475488 - 09/11/10 10:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yea, before he had only been letting it dry from hanging for three or four days and then putting it on the screen for a couple more days.

There was no jar involved with his process... :frown: It was a very amateurish way to do it, if you ask me...

Also, I'm working on getting a decent camera. Once I do, I'll have some pics up that are decent. If you want, I can take some with my phone, but they're hella crappy quality and small to boot...

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/11/10 10:58 AM)

Offlinetreefer
ganja smuggler
 User Gallery

#475496 - 09/11/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well the curing process takes so long, because it takes a while to dry and release all the chlorophyll, it is a long slow process. If you do not cure correctly, the chlorophyll will remain in your nugs.

Now idk about this screen thing you are talking about for curing? just sounds like another way to dry.. try and get your friend to at least throw some of the nugs in the jar so from here on out he will do it, trust me once he compares the smoke of the two he will never do it wrong again.

I'm sure you could do some searching on the net, and find out exactly what curing does, but the majority of what i know about it is it just gets out all the remaining moisture, and chlorophyll which is bad stuff- makes the nugs taste like straight plant, crackle and sparkle when you smoke, and it makes the smoke harsh too.

--------------------
Free Your Mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#475545 - 09/11/10 12:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

OK, I got a few pics of the veg room babies, but the lights are off in the bud room, so you'll have to wait on those.

Here's three of the four Jilly Bean clones that are in the veg room, from the youngest to the oldest...

Here are the two Pandora's that are in the veg room.

I'm a little worried about the youngest of the Pan's. It's got a couple leaves that are turning quite yellow and sick looking... :frown:

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about this? Unfortunately, these babies are in the patient's bedroom closet, and his wife waters from time to time, and it usually ends up with the dixie cups sitting in a lot of water until I notice it and pour it out... It looks to me like the yellowing is from over-watering, but I'm just not experienced enough to know for sure...

Also, I've never heard of people doing half the things these guys do things... Lol. They had a problem with some sort of fungus attacking the rockwool, and they fixed it by wrapping aluminum foil around it. This is taken off before planting in a pot, but I've never seen this done before... Has anyone else?

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#475561 - 09/11/10 01:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

We were thinking of topping the oldest of the two Pandora's there and making a clone to replace the harvest we took in last night.

Any tips on what NOT to do when topping?

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ♪♫♪♫♪♫
Male User Gallery

Loc: afghanistan
Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MrsGreenThumb]
    #475596 - 09/11/10 02:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

on what not to do? don't fuck up lol na im just messin. make sure you don't cut to far down and make sure your scissors/razor is very clean and sterile.

heres a little picture to help you, you may want to try the fim technique, it produces more than just 2 main budsites.

and are those ur totties? very nice :borat:

--------------------
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #475632 - 09/11/10 03:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome! I knew I'd seen that image somewhere, but I just couldn't find it again. lol

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#475949 - 09/11/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I'm a little worried about the youngest of the Pan's. It's got a couple leaves that are turning quite yellow and sick looking... :frown:

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about this?

Looks like a nitrogen deficiency to me:

Everything else is looking great, especially for CFLs!  I'm impressed.
You've got over 1000W of light in that there flowering room; I bet it gets warm!  Ever consider using a HID instead?  I don't know how big your space is, but if it's <15 square feet, I bet a 600W HPS would do you nicely: denser nugs, bigger harvest, less wattage (smaller electricity bill), and less heat! (especially if it's air-cooled)  They are a bit of $$ up front, though, which can be a deterrent.

In regards to your question way back, on transplanting often: skip the 1 gallon pots.  Use them for veggies or something.  It's not that transplanting often is too much shock; cannabis is hardy, and if you do it right (that is, wait until roots fill the pot fully), it shouldn't be an issue.  It's just a waste of time and effort, IMO.  Go straight from dixies to 3 gallons, and watch your plants explode in growth.

Moar pics! :grin:

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: God]
    #475973 - 09/12/10 12:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you very much for the input God! The picture was very helpful and is now saved on my computer for future reference.

With Fall coming on we've been lucky enough to have ~74 F with the lights out and about ~85 F with them on. We also make sure to run the lights at night, since we have a lousy ventilation system atm.

We would definitely prefer to have a couple HPS lights going in there, and as soon as we have the money for it we will. We have a list of priorities though. We're currently working to make the space bigger, which will require a little electrical work and manual labor. Next, would be to improve said ventilation system. And then we get to focus on lights. We a long way from having the set up of our dreams, but we'll get there. (Then we plan to try our hand at outdoor growing!!:getstoned: :dancer: )

Awesome to know We can go from the dixies to the 3 gallon, and as soon as we have the space we'll start skipping that extra step.:bongload:

Thanks for all the support and replies. You guys give us the motivation to keep working on this ritually.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#475988 - 09/12/10 01:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sooo... When we turned on the lights tonight, most of the plants got a good trimming... Fan leaves that were blocking buds and the lowest branches got pruned on all of them. A couple still need a little bit more pruning, but that'll be it for most of them. We didn't want to shock them with too much in one night. They got a little last night too...

I finally got some pictures of the real good lookin' ones. My friend's phone has a surprisingly decent camera on it! So, we'll start at the oldest and go to the youngest...

This would be Jilly-14. She's the oldest in here, and the last that had been subjected to the switch from hydro to soil. She didn't have the fungus, but they didn't want to take chances, so they moved her over too.

Next I'll show you the Monster. Technically, she's older than J-14. She was used as a mother for a while, and then moved to the budding room when there was no more room for her in the veg room.

Next, we have J-15. She's the first of the fully-in-soil girls, and I'm excited to see how she does...

The Pandora would be the next in line. Sorry I don't have more pics of her, she's a beauty. I'm a little worried about having to move some of the lights up too much because of her...

Next is the J-16. She's a bit young, but shaping up to be pretty big.

Last but not least, we've got the two youngest of the budding room, J-17 and 18. They've only been in the budding room five days now...

So, that's all the pics for the moment... Let me see if I can steal my friend's phone again for another round of pics. I still wanted to get some decent ones of the lighting set-up.

I also took two clones tonight, from J-17. I scraped the stems, dipped them in water and then in Schultz Root-Take and then into a square of rock-wool. The larger of the two looks like it didn't take too well, but the smaller one seems to be happy. We'll see how they fare come morning...

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/12/10 01:01 AM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#476007 - 09/12/10 01:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I totally cannot believe that I forgot about this! I took the two youngest in the veg room that have just been put into pots, and tied them down. J-21 and J-22 are the first two I get to experiment on with LST.

Also, got some pics of the lights and the "ventilation" we have in there right now. Here's the lights on the left:

And here's the lights on the right:

Here's the lights in the center:

Here's the three fans we have for ventilation. Unfortunately, we can only keep the door open at night, when the lights are on, so they don't really get new air for 12 hours of the day... :frown:

The grow room's set up in a horseshoe shape that measures 9' 4" from the left side to the right, and 5'2" from the front to back. There's a 3'6" square in the center we use for sitting on a bucket while we prune or water. The lights are suspended from the ceiling by lightweight chains. The clamps make it pretty simple to move up and down when the plants get too big, or a smaller one replaces one just harvested.
I also measured the inside of the veg space we have, and that measures a measly 20" deep by 30" wide by 42 inches tall. Not nearly as much space as I'd like, but once we get the shed re-wired, it'll all be moved out there where there'll be just as much room for the veg as for the bud...

I hope that was pretty clear.

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#476011 - 09/12/10 02:05 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

There we go got all the info out there and pics for the veg room and the flower room!
We're officially a Grow journal!
:getstoned:

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#476131 - 09/12/10 12:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

looks nice! much bigger than i had originally thought this was! dam u got a billion of those little cfls, rapin ur electric.. gotta do what u gotta do tho! ur gonna be blown away when that lst starts takin off! shit's like magic i swear.

--------------------

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#476176 - 09/12/10 02:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

oh, I know! I put the first hooks on the plants at about 9:30 last night, and when I checked them again at 4 am, they had already started turning back up towards the light! I put a second tie down on each of them at 4, and by this morning, they were looking awesome! I'll have more pics later today of those...

And the clones have both taken root well it seems. I was a little worried about the larger one, but it's stopped wilting, and looks like it's starting to take in new moisture.

I felt that the foil wrapped around the rock wool of the Pandora 3 was keeping the cube too moist, so I took off the foil, and took a paper towel to seep off some of the water that was soaked into the cube. It seems to have perked up this morning just from that, and tonight I'll probably give it some food with extra N for what looks to be that N deficiency...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#476198 - 09/12/10 02:45 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think we should wait until the symptoms of the over-watering fade; that way we're not mis diagnosing it with a N deficiency...

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#476258 - 09/12/10 05:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I stole that nitrogen picture from this thread (which stole it from Cervantes' Bible, I think).  That thread's got some other good stuff, so check it out.

As far as overwatering goes, I noticed in the OP:

Quote:

Tank333 said:
We’re trying to put together a feeding and watering schedule for them to stick to, and it seems to be working to feed the plants in the grow room every other day, and watering every day in between with R/o water. I’m still working on the ones in the veg room.

Are you still watering in this way?  If so, it seems like way too much water to me, especially in soil.  It's best to give the medium some time to dry out to some degree, so that (1) the roots go searching for water, making them fill the pot more quickly, thoroughly, and sturdily and (2) to avoid problems due to too much water, like algae, fungal/bacterial diseases (root rot and such), bugs, etc.

How to tell when to water: wait until it looks dry on top, then stick your finger an inch or two down into the medium.  If it's still pretty damp, wait.  If it feels relatively dry, you can water.  You can start being able to tell when to water by the weight of your pots, just from lifting them off the ground real quick.  This is a better method once you get the hang of it, since you don't have to risk jabbing the roots with your finger every few days.

Speaking of feeding and such, how much are you feeding per gallon relative to how much the bottle says is the maximum?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#476295 - 09/12/10 06:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Honestly, it seemed like that to me as well, but they were taking it up pretty well. We had a hot spell for a while, and I think that may have contributed to their want for more water. We've actually started to pull back on how much we water. In the flowering room we're gonna see how watering every other night goes, and see if they like that a bit better.

As for watering in the veg room, that's been a bit more difficult to control, as it's in their bedroom closet, and not in the same area as the rest of everything else.

With the feeding, here's what each of them are getting:

The oldest ones, J-14, 15 and 16, the Monster and the Pandora-1 are all getting full nutes. Actually, J-14 won't be getting fed anymore though, since she's about 10 days from being harvested as it is. The full dose reccommended on the bottle is 1 tsp of the Floragro, 2 tsp of the flora micro, and 3 of the Florabloom for each gallon of water. These usually take about a gallon between the 5 of them, sometimes a little more.

The youngest ones in the budding room, J-17 & 18, are getting the suggested transitional phase dose, which is 2 tsp of each, gro micro and bloom per gallon of water.

The babies in the veg room have been getting nutes every watering, as far as I can figure out. The three oldest in there, the pan-2, the J-19 and J-20 get the full reccommended dose for vegging which is 3 tsp of the gro, 2 tsp of the micro, and 1 tsp of the bloom for each gallon of water.

The next two, J-21 and J-22 get half strenth nutes. The three older ones take about half a gallon, and then to water these, I just refill the jug to water it down a bit.

The new clones get the half-strength water, after it's been watered down once more...

Now, I'm a little worried the clones in the rock wool have been getting watered too much. How do I tell when they need more water?

Also, should the youngest clones not be getting nutes? I kinda feel like they should be getting straight water at least till they're in soil, but I can't really find anything definitive on that...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#476408 - 09/13/10 02:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I keep clones damper than anything else, but there needs to be air in the root zone as well.  They shouldn't be sitting in puddles, basically.  I don't know how to figure this out with rockwool, as I've never used it.

I give my clones straight water until I see roots.  Then I transplant to dixies and give them 1/2 strength or so, maybe less the first time.

You say one gallon between your five oldest?  Are all of these in 3 gallon buckets?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#476409 - 09/13/10 02:17 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, but that was when they were in 1 gallon pots. Sometimes they would take more, but not often. They've only been watered once since they were put in the three gallon pots. We were going to water them tonight, but I felt the soil in all the pots, and they all seemed pretty moist, so I felt it would be best to wait to water. I'll check them again in the morning when I turn off the lights, but I think we'll just end up waiting till tomorrow night to water.

Update on the newest clones. They definitely took. I'm happy, because this was my first try at ever taking a clone and getting it to start. I'll be really proud of these two once they go all the way through flowering...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#476612 - 09/13/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, ok!  That makes much more sense.  IME, it's better to let them get a bit too dry then stay too wet, so I say definitely wait until tomorrow night, or even the next night if it still feels damp tomorrow.  Of course, if anything starts to wilt from dryness, it's time to water.  Otherwise a bit of dry encourages healthy roots.  Good luck!

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#476845 - 09/13/10 11:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all the davice and support guys!

Growery, you are amazing!

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#476921 - 09/14/10 07:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I decided to water last night. When I went out to turn on the lights, all the pots felt pretty dry. I also had been noticing that the some of leaves on most of the plants had been getting lighter colored, starting to go towards a yellow tinge, so I decided to feed everyone, too.

The Pandora had gotten fed the night before, so the four oldest got a gallon split between the four of them (the J-14 didn't get any food, since she's only 7-8 days from harvest). The two younger ones in there split a half-gallon, fed with the full suggested transitioning phase nutes.

So, I was wondering. When a plant seems to be deficient in a specific nutrient (ie. N, P, or K), should you feed it with what you feed it regularly, or should you change what you feed it, and if so, how much of what should you change? As I stated before, I'm using the GH FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom, and those are the only nutrients I have right now, other than a really small amount of superthrive...

Could someone give me some insight on this?

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#477301 - 09/15/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The only deficiency I deal with on a regular basis is nitrogen.  In that case, I just increase the amount of FloraNova Grow I'm feeding with (Grow having a higher N content than Bloom).  I'd assume FloraGro would be the one with the higher N content of your three, so you could increase its proportion in your food until def is gone.  Extrapolate to P and K.

The other potential cause of, say, an N deficiency could be that the N is technically available, but is locked out from the plant, either because of the pH of the medium or some other random nutrient balance thing that I don't know enough about to describe further.  A solution here could be a thorough flush, then a feeding at the proper pH.

Flushing is often the solution if you can't diagnose the problem.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#477368 - 09/15/10 08:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, honestly, I don't think it's a lock-out problem... we've flushed all these plants once in the past month, and they seemed to really appreciate that. They've now been fed twice since being flushed, and they're looking a lot better.

We found evidence of mites last night though, so that's kinda my biggest worry at the moment... my friend says that he's had problems with mites before, and he'd used all sorts of things to try and fix em, till he found these "Hotshots hanging traps" that he says work really well.

I hope they do... i'd hate to see all this work destroyed!

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#477371 - 09/15/10 08:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Also, when I water, should I be watering until there's runoff coming out the bottom of the pot, or is a gallon split between 4 plants enough water?

I've also been shown a reservoir method, where you put enough r/o water in a bucket to submerge the pots in. You keep them under the water until there's no bubbles comin up, then you pull it out, drain it, and go to the next one... I don't have the room for this method right now, but I will when the remodling is done. I was wondering that this might be a way for bacteria to collect in you water easily... anyone on here use this method and got some advice on it?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#477535 - 09/15/10 01:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

you talking about just a normal watering, or flushing?

normal watering you want 10-15% runoff,

flushing you want 80-90% runoff.

a simple solution with the mites which you may want to try is to add some biodegradeable dish soap to some good water and water and foliar with it, then foliar with plain water a few hours later, do this when the lights are out to(as with any foliar)

this is how i've gotten rid of mites several times outdoors.

There are MANY products to get rid of your mites tho, don't worry its not the end of the world. You can find EXCELLENT grows on here where they have had mites, and still came out with Top of the line nuggets.

--------------------

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#477538 - 09/15/10 01:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

oh and also when you water you want to stir up the top inch or so of soil with your fingers, so that the water drains through the soil evenly, and you don't get any spots under the soil that aren't getting water; they call them dry spots.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#478667 - 09/17/10 04:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, so we just got a nice boost in the wattages in the flowering room. I finally convinced my friend to invest in at least some new CFL's (most of the ones in there have been there for at least 2 or 3 months). He went to Wal-Mart and picked up 6 of the 200 Watt equiv. CFL's for like 12.50 each.

It's WAY brighter in there now. I can't wait till I can pick up enough to get rid of all those crappy 100 watt equiv. bulbs!

The count is now 6 55 watt (200 w equiv.), 5 42 watt (150 w equiv.), and 10 of the little 23 watt (100 w equiv). And there's still the T-8's on the floor in there, too...

Also, we tried out some of the bud that we had harvested last Friday, too! We let it hang in the closet for three days, and then we put it in a duct-tape covered jar, letting it air for about 5-10 minutes, 4-8 times a day. It tastes pretty bland, honestly. Not as bad as I was expecting, but definitely weak and still had a small bit of that MG/vegetabley taste to it... I think if I'd smoked maybe another bowl and a half, I'd have gotten a decent head change off it (this is between three people, not just a solo bowl).

The nougs were decently dense though. Moreso than the last plant was. And the next one to be harvested has WAY thicker and fuller cola's than this one ever did! I'm thinking that the next four plants we harvest are really going to show the effects of the changes we've made in the way these plants are cared for.

I'm really excited to see this all happening!

And to boot, I finally got ahold of another friend of mine who needs a caretaker, and got my wife signed on as his. Now we have doubled the number of plants we can legally grow from 15 to 30!!!

Now we just have to get the dryer moved somewhere else and installed, so we can use the rest of the space in the garage for more plants! hahaha!!!

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/17/10 04:41 PM)

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#478686 - 09/17/10 05:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

haha thats sick man! are u gonna get 15 clones or order some really good seeds, or how u gonna do the other 15? Sounds like you two are a happy couple! i sure would be haha!

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#478694 - 09/17/10 05:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well honestly, it's gonna be a lot of work to get a little "Dryer room" built onto the side of the shed, so I'm not going to be able to get more plants right away. There's not enough room in that little closet for more! lol

But we're probably gonna go with more clones. I know a few people with different strains, and I have a decent selection to chose from once I do have the room to make more. Right now, I can choose from White Widow, Rudy, Lola, Super Lemon Haze, Govt. Audit, San Fran., and Romulan... Once we have the extra room set up, we'll go with one new clone every 10 days, and probably pick up one or two new strains to go with the Jilly Bean and Pandora...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#478870 - 09/17/10 11:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So excited!!!

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
    #478872 - 09/17/10 11:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It looks good but may i ask why did you trim all the leaves off during budding? I just thought that it was counter productive for the plants. I may be wrong tho.

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #478876 - 09/18/10 12:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

it would be to help light get to the lower and blocked bud sites.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #479039 - 09/18/10 11:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MR.HEADY said:
It looks good but may i ask why did you trim all the leaves off during budding? I just thought that it was counter productive for the plants. I may be wrong tho.

Well, I might not have been completely clear there, but we didn't trim off ALL the leaves. Just a few here and there that we felt would allow for the best light penetration.

We also clipped the smallest of the branches on the bottoms of all the plants. We took two or three off each plant, each night. We didn't want to take too many at once and shock the plant.
We felt that if they had less branches to put their energy into, they would produce larger colas on the remaining branches.

I know there is a lot of debate as to whether or not trimming of the plant creates more/larger nougs in the end. I think I'm in favor of the "more trimming = more buds (within reason, of course)". When we have more room, we're going to be doing some testing of these theories, as my wife doesn't think a lot of trimming is a very good idea. lol

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleHefe
    #479117 - 09/18/10 02:05 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The plants will be putting all of their energy into healing the wounds you're creating. So no energy is going to go into producing buds until all of those wounds are healed.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: Hefe]
    #479119 - 09/18/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Actually on all the plants we pruned, within 36 hours we were seeing new bud formations, and they just look way healthier since then.

Ideally, we wouldn't be pruning actual branches during the budding cycle, only during the veg, but none of these had ever been pruned/trimmed, and most had some branches that if left, wouldn't have gotten a full gram between all of them. Those were all removed, to allow the other buds to develop better.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#479180 - 09/18/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

shit i believe in it, every time i trim the lower growth, two days later i have to trim the canopy because of all the new growth and leaves. pruning does work. 

If mutating the plant messed shit up then why would so many people do it?

And supercropping seems like more damage to me than just trimming off a branch, and it desnt mess up anything.

Do you have anything to back up what you said hefe?

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#479416 - 09/19/10 01:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So, FINALLY borrowed a camera that worked right, and got some good pics of what I"ve got growin'.

Here's the youngest first. These are the two clones we took last weekend. These are a week old today. Still no sign of roots yet, but they're looking strong! I'm a little concerned about the yellowing on the lower leaves of the bigger one though... Are these babies old enough for some nutes? The recommended dosage on the bottles says 1/4 tsp per gallon of water, of the Gro/Micro/Bloom, for seedlings and cuttings.

Here's the two next in line. They're the two that we have been doing the most with the LST. We've kinda left them as is, for now, because we realized we don't have room in that little closet to do what we want to do with them. The third here is the next oldest. It was put into flower to sex it for some reason, then re-veged (which is why you can still see a couple single blade leaves at it's base), and that gave it a second main cola. We tied both of those down too, to see what it would to do help halt it's upward growth. It looks like its starting to get a little wilted, but the soil is still slightly moist. I'll be watering all these babdies as soon as I get up in the morning, to make em get a little thirsty.

Last of the clones is the Pandora. She's growing nicely. The Pan-3 died, unfortunately.
Feeding with light nutes stopped the yellowing, and then it showed roots outside the rockwool, so the patient's wife potted it.

Into MG.:facepalm:
It burned and died a slow horrible death...  :onfire:
I swear to god, if I could afford to replace that 50lb bag of CRAP with FF, I would throw that thing away!

Now here's the Ladies in the grow room. Looking good after getting the new lights put in. Heat is becoming an issue though, so we're being forced to focus on getting a carbon scrubber and actual airflow coming in and out of the shed. The avg. temps are staying in the high 80's, and it's worrying me that it'll slow the growth down.

Pan 1 Monster J-14

J-15 J-16 J-17
And J-18

I'm a little concerned about J-16. It may be normal aging, I'm not sure, but several of the larger fan leaves have been yellowing and falling off.

I don't think it's a nute problem, because it was fed last night, with a little extra N in it, because I was worried about the yellowing. I would have posted about it then, but without pics, it's all just speculation... So what about these, huh? Is this natural shedding of older, less efficient fan leaves, or does this look like a real problem?

*Edit*

I also moved the lights up from the Monster about 4 inches. With the increase in wattage above her, it looks like her tips were getting a little burnt.

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/19/10 02:04 AM)

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#479419 - 09/19/10 02:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

nice bro, everythings lookin reaaal good. :thumbup:

Your cloning looks like it is going well, you are going to have to shoot me a detailed list of how u did that, ive tried cloning 2 rounds now, and failed. I did see roots though outside the cube, but then it stopped.  But anyways

The flowering girls look great, don't worry ull have the dank nugs soon too! just gotta be a little patient, ull have dankness in weeks!

Those pictures of the leaves turning yellow and falling off is a completely normal part of flowering. Its a combination of the flowering nutes having less N and also lack of light because of the canopy, its okay though, its supposed to happen. There will be quite a few that do that to, don't worry though. Its just different strains, i have one that barely dropped a leaf during flower, and another that drops like 2-3 a day :shrug: opens her up for more airflow lol

keep up the good work my friend, and you will reap the rewards!

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#479422 - 09/19/10 03:25 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well honestly, these are the first two I ever cut, and I didn't really know what I was doing. I didn't even cut them with cloning in mind. We were pruning last week, and my wife clipped them off and handed them to me to toss, and it just came to me. lol

I took them inside once we were done with the pruning, and got right to it. I pulled out the rooting powder we have (Shultz Root take, or something like that), and read it. It said dip it in water, then the powder, flick the stem to shake off excess powder and insert into rooting medium.

So, I re-cut the end while under water (a tip I learned as a kid working in my parent's flower-shop; it keeps an air bubble from blocking any water from being absorbed into the stem), and then scraped the bottom inch or so of the stem, to encourage the rooting powder to take hold. Then it went into the powder, and shook off the excess. I slid it into the square of rockwool, and then put it into the tray. Once they were both done, I poured a little bit of R/O water on top of the rockwool, and then about 1/2 inch in the bottom of the tray. I let it soak up as much as it could in 10 minutes, squeezed them a little bit to let a little air into the cube, and poured out the excess into one of the other pots...

After 20 minutes, it looked like the bigger one was going to die, it was wilted and drooped over, but by the end of the night it had recovered, and they were both looking great. Tonight was the second time they've been watered (I would have waited one more night, but the oh so helpful patient's wife did that for me today).

Do you think I need to be watering this clone with some weak nutes? I mean, it's been in there a week, and it hasn't had anything to eat at all, and I'm worried that's what it's from... :eek:

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#480640 - 09/22/10 03:52 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, so bad news again! I found that the plants had mites, again! I guess what he'd been using isn't as effective as he thought. I'll be spraying with soap-water in the morning when I turn the lights off... I hope this works...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#480756 - 09/22/10 11:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

hey before u do that, how far into flowering are they? if they are well into flowering, like 4+ weeks, the soap spray may not be a great idea, cuz ur nugs might get a weird taste.  There are things u could use that may be better if you are this far into flowering

hers a excerpt out of an article in cannabis culture

Quote:

There are several commercial miticides that can be used early in the season to kill mites.

Pyrethrum has been used to kill mites. It is a natural pesticide produced by a close relative of the chrysanthemum. The problem with using it is that many races of mites have developed immunity to it. However, it is the first miticide you should try.

Cinnamite comes as a concentrate that is diluted and sprayed on the plants. It contains a miticide derived from cinnamon oil. It is very safe and is rated least hazardous. It is quite effective but it doesn't kill the eggs. It should be used every three days for two weeks to make sure all the mites are killed soon after they hatch. It is a contact spray so plants should be dipped or sprayed on the leaf undersides. It is also effective against powdery mildew.

Neem oil is a natural miticide derived from the nuts of the Neem tree, which is found in India. It is a mite repellent as well, so some gardeners use it as a prophylactic, spraying it on a weekly basis. I mix neem oil with Cinnamite to eliminate small infections. Cinnamite and neem oil are also used against powdery mildew.

For growers who distrust anything commercial, try an ?herbal tea? that acts as a miticide. To each quart of water use a tablespoon each of ground cinnamon, ground clove and 2 tablespoons of ground Italian seasoning. Heat the mixture until it starts to simmer, then turn off the heat. Add 2 tablespoons crushed fresh garlic when the water cools to warm. Let the tea sit until it cools. Strain and save the water using a cloth or coffee filter. Add a few drops of liquid soap or dishwashing liquid to the water. It is ready to be sprayed on the leaf undersides. After spraying the mites off with water, spray it on the leaf undersides. It will eliminate the mites if it is sprayed every three days after the wash. Within two weeks the mites will probably be gone.

Avid is a miticide registered for ornamental plants. Its active ingredient is abamectin, a derivative of a toxin originally found in soil bacteria. Avid is not registered for use on vegetables except in certain restricted situations. Other brands of abamectin such as AgriMek by Syngenta are registered for a wide range of crops. The AgriMek label calls for a minimum of a seven day wait between application and harvest. I wouldn't use marijuana if I knew it was treated with this pesticide during the last few weeks of flowering.

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #480792 - 09/22/10 01:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:

I don't think it's a nute problem, because it was fed last night, with a little extra N in it, because I was worried about the yellowing. I would have posted about it then, but without pics, it's all just speculation... So what about these, huh? Is this natural shedding of older, less efficient fan leaves, or does this look like a real problem?

*Edit*

I also moved the lights up from the Monster about 4 inches. With the increase in wattage above her, it looks like her tips were getting a little burnt.

I see a few possible problems.

What are you using for the micro nutrients?

From what I see... it looks like you have a potassium deficiency.

This will cause the edges to start to go yellow, then the tips and leaf blades start to brown and then progress to yellowing and brown dots on the leaves and the leaf tips curling.

The pics after the edit also look like an mg deficiency. Possibly also needs iron since it can yellow and cause brown dots also.

I'm thinking you might not be using something for the micronutes?

Have you been using calmag?

I also see that snow storm ultra is a potassium supplement 0-0-3.

Do you have/use either of those products?

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #480822 - 09/22/10 02:18 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kickin-two-hundo said:
hey before u do that, how far into flowering are they? if they are well into flowering, like 4+ weeks, the soap spray may not be a great idea, cuz ur nugs might get a weird taste.  There are things u could use that may be better if you are this far into flowering

Well, three of the plants in the flowering room have been flowering for more than a month. I think there's three of them that haven't been in there that long. I was told that as long as you wash the soap-water off with regular water the next day, it should be fine. I'll be talking with my wife, and we'll see if we can get something that'll work better.

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:

This will cause the edges to start to go yellow, then the tips and leaf blades start to brown and then progress to yellowing and brown dots on the leaves and the leaf tips curling.

The pics after the edit also look like an mg deficiency. Possibly also needs iron since it can yellow and cause brown dots also.

No, I don't have anything other than the three nutes I have listed in the main post. We're using Gen. Hydroponics nutes FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom.

In the Gro, there's 2-1-6, along with a .5% of Mg.

The Micro is 5-0-1 and also has 1% calcium, .0005% Cobalt, .01% copper, .1% Iron, .050% Manganese, .0008% Molybdenum and .015% of zinc.

And the Bloom has 0-5-4 with and extra 1.5% Magnesium, and 1% sulfur as well.

We've been feeding about every four days. Each pot gets about 3/4 of a gallon before it starts to run out the bottom. In each gallon of water, I put 1 tsp of the Gro, 2 tsp of the Micro, and 3 tsp of the Bloom. That's for the plants in full flower. The two youngest in the flowering room get what the bottle call's "transition to bloom" nutes, which is 2 tsp of each Gro, Micro and Bloom.

We don't have Cal-Mag, but we can probably get some. Do you think that we need to start using that? I had thought that the FloraMicro was providing enough nutes for it, but maybe not... I don't know. :shrug:

We do have a VERY small amount of superthrive, but I haven't even used that at all, as I don't know what exactly it's used for, and we hardly have enough to start using anyways... lol

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#480848 - 09/22/10 03:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Quote:

kickin-two-hundo said:

Well, three of the plants in the flowering room have been flowering for more than a month. I think there's three of them that haven't been in there that long. I was told that as long as you wash the soap-water off with regular water the next day, it should be fine. I'll be talking with my wife, and we'll see if we can get something that'll work better.

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:

No, I don't have anything other than the three nutes I have listed in the main post. We're using Gen. Hydroponics nutes FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom.

In the Gro, there's 2-1-6, along with a .5% of Mg.

The Micro is 5-0-1 and also has 1% calcium, .0005% Cobalt, .01% copper, .1% Iron, .050% Manganese, .0008% Molybdenum and .015% of zinc.

And the Bloom has 0-5-4 with and extra 1.5% Magnesium, and 1% sulfur as well.

We've been feeding about every four days. Each pot gets about 3/4 of a gallon before it starts to run out the bottom. In each gallon of water, I put 1 tsp of the Gro, 2 tsp of the Micro, and 3 tsp of the Bloom. That's for the plants in full flower. The two youngest in the flowering room get what the bottle call's "transition to bloom" nutes, which is 2 tsp of each Gro, Micro and Bloom.

We don't have Cal-Mag, but we can probably get some. Do you think that we need to start using that? I had thought that the FloraMicro was providing enough nutes for it, but maybe not... I don't know. :shrug:

We do have a VERY small amount of superthrive, but I haven't even used that at all, as I don't know what exactly it's used for, and we hardly have enough to start using anyways... lol

Floramicro probably has everything in calmag, are you checking ph?

It's probably just the potassium, I'm reading to treat one with a small flush using a mild and complete fertilizer. Severe ones would need a flush, but I think this just means just a decent amount of runoff.

It really looks like potassium to me, it even starts on the older leaves.

Potassium problems could also cause other problems with micronutrients.

--------------------

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s *UPDATE 9/19* [Re: Tank333]
    #481265 - 09/23/10 01:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm just chiming in with a couple of pieces of advice.  I apologize if someone covered these things already.

Rapitest makes a nice package that retails for about $15 that tests N-P-K and pH.  You get four kits in the package (one for N, one for P, one for K, and one for pH).  Each kit will test 10 times and refills are cheap.  I find the color charts durable and easy.  Even my wife, who hates chemistry, uses it to check her organic raised tomato & pepper beds.  LINK TO AMAZON HERE.  You should be able to find this at any large hardware store.  I have seen them at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and online.  Since it is towards the end of the gardening season you may need to find online.  I just found it listed under a different brand name.  CHEAP at Amazon, especially if you use the free shipping option.  LINK HERE.

Any garden that I have a concern about pests in I spray every 5-7 days with the following mix:
2 teaspoons of tobacco juice (1 cup of organic tobacco put in 1/2 gallon of water and allowed to sit in the sun for a full day - strain and remove tobacco after a deep brown tea has brewed) and two teaspoons of neem oil.  I mix them both in to about a quart of water in a hand sprayer.  I don't cook the tobacco tea or allow it to get too strong out of concerns of burning plants.  This mix normally takes care of all bugs and worms and small animals.  If I am going for small animals though I typically add in a little habanero juice.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s *UPDATE 9/19* [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #481278 - 09/23/10 01:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome.

I just found out last night when going through the shed after turning the lights on that not only do we not have and Ph Up or Down, we don't even have the kit to test the Ph anymore either! Where these things disappeared to, I'll never know. My buddy insists that he HAD them, but now we have to buy em... lol

Now I gotta go shell out $30 for more stuff I really don't have the money for... :mad2:

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s *UPDATE 9/19* [Re: Tank333]
    #481357 - 09/23/10 04:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Awesome.

I just found out last night when going through the shed after turning the lights on that not only do we not have and Ph Up or Down, we don't even have the kit to test the Ph anymore either! Where these things disappeared to, I'll never know. My buddy insists that he HAD them, but now we have to buy em... lol

Now I gotta go shell out $30 for more stuff I really don't have the money for... :mad2:

I just got some from amazon cuz mine disapeared too you can get the general hydro brand there for like 12 bucks and 4 shipping. it comes with the tester.

You could have locked out your potassium.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#481568 - 09/24/10 12:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
Any garden that I have a concern about pests in I spray every 5-7 days with the following mix:
2 teaspoons of tobacco juice (1 cup of organic tobacco put in 1/2 gallon of water and allowed to sit in the sun for a full day - strain and remove tobacco after a deep brown tea has brewed) and two teaspoons of neem oil.  I mix them both in to about a quart of water in a hand sprayer.  I don't cook the tobacco tea or allow it to get too strong out of concerns of burning plants.  This mix normally takes care of all bugs and worms and small animals.  If I am going for small animals though I typically add in a little habanero juice.

Do you wash it off afterwards? And is this safe for plants in flowering?

Quote:

There are several commercial miticides that can be used early in the season to kill mites.

Pyrethrum has been used to kill mites. It is a natural pesticide produced by a close relative of the chrysanthemum. The problem with using it is that many races of mites have developed immunity to it. However, it is the first miticide you should try.

Cinnamite comes as a concentrate that is diluted and sprayed on the plants. It contains a miticide derived from cinnamon oil. It is very safe and is rated least hazardous. It is quite effective but it doesn't kill the eggs. It should be used every three days for two weeks to make sure all the mites are killed soon after they hatch. It is a contact spray so plants should be dipped or sprayed on the leaf undersides. It is also effective against powdery mildew.

Neem oil is a natural miticide derived from the nuts of the Neem tree, which is found in India. It is a mite repellent as well, so some gardeners use it as a prophylactic, spraying it on a weekly basis. I mix neem oil with Cinnamite to eliminate small infections. Cinnamite and neem oil are also used against powdery mildew.

For growers who distrust anything commercial, try an ?herbal tea? that acts as a miticide. To each quart of water use a tablespoon each of ground cinnamon, ground clove and 2 tablespoons of ground Italian seasoning. Heat the mixture until it starts to simmer, then turn off the heat. Add 2 tablespoons crushed fresh garlic when the water cools to warm. Let the tea sit until it cools. Strain and save the water using a cloth or coffee filter. Add a few drops of liquid soap or dishwashing liquid to the water. It is ready to be sprayed on the leaf undersides. After spraying the mites off with water, spray it on the leaf undersides. It will eliminate the mites if it is sprayed every three days after the wash. Within two weeks the mites will probably be gone.

Avid is a miticide registered for ornamental plants. Its active ingredient is abamectin, a derivative of a toxin originally found in soil bacteria. Avid is not registered for use on vegetables except in certain restricted situations. Other brands of abamectin such as AgriMek by Syngenta are registered for a wide range of crops. The AgriMek label calls for a minimum of a seven day wait between application and harvest. I wouldn't use marijuana if I knew it was treated with this pesticide during the last few weeks of flowering.

Has anyone here used either the Cinnamite or this "herbal tea" they're suggesting here?

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s *UPDATE 9/19* [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #481576 - 09/24/10 01:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So we have a new lady in the flower room tonight!

J20 made it to 17" tall (15 1/2" in the 3 gallon pot now) and was moved from our cramped veg room.

J18 and 19 are looking beautiful. Tank and I are doing an experiment on the two of these. I am trimming all lower buds and stalks to try and focus growth at the top of the colas on J18. Where as, Tank is only trimming enough to allow light penetration on J19. In about 2 months we will see what method we prefer for denser fuller nuggs.

J18:

J19:

The Monster has definitely got a problem with some sort of nutes but nothing that seems to be jeopardizing the flowering. We're gonna go out and get both Ph Up and Ph Down, plus a Ph test kit. So hopefully a week from now We will be exclaiming about her progress.

Pandora1 is coming along the best. She is beginning to look like a winter wonderland! The grow of this stain is so interesting. It almost reminds me of a palm tree.

Both J15 and 16 are filling in nicely. Ever since we replaced 6 of the 23W CFL's with 55W CFL's these girls are all getting a nice diesel smell with crystals to back 'em up. I cant wait to see the changes in the harvest with these ladies!

J15:

J16:

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s *UPDATE 9/19* [Re: MrsGreenThumb]
    #481601 - 09/24/10 06:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MrsGreenThumb said:

The Monster has definitely got a problem with some sort of nutes but nothing that seems to be jeopardizing the flowering. We're gonna go out and get both Ph Up and Ph Down, plus a Ph test kit. So hopefully a week from now We will be exclaiming about her progress.

It's looking like the potassium, which is slowing down the uptake of mg, mn, zn, and/or iron.

Potassium, Magnesium, and Zinc (zinc will have them yellow before it effects the tips the other two doesn't have to) all can cause leaf tips similar to those, from my pictures, and since potassium can cause problems with the others, I would say it is potassium as it looks like that kind of deficiency, effecting the lower leaves with dots and yellowing, and the top parts look a lot more like the mg deficiency caused by the potassium one.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#481648 - 09/24/10 11:04 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:

Do you wash it off afterwards? And is this safe for plants in flowering?

I do not wash it off if outside.  If I am using on houseplants, I will usually mist with clean water in between.  If you ever noticed a visible residue you could always spray some extra clear water.  This mix is not thick by any means.

I am not sure what you mean by safe.  I do not think it would damage the flowers in any way, but taste and smoke might be altered if used late in the flowering cycle due to presence of small amount of chemicals not produced by the cannabis itself.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #481952 - 09/25/10 12:59 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So we got the pH test kit, pH up and pH down, and a "Soil Master" meter that measures the Moisture, Light and pH levels.

We were wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with this meter, and if so how accurate is it?

If it is accurate, then we balanced the soil to about 6 tonight. We fed P1 Monster and J16. Th others still were wet according to the meter so we waited on those. Hopefully, we'll see a change soon.

Another question: Checking the pH of the water, do we do it before we add the nutes or after? I only ask because I was worried about the dark color of the nutes affecting the outcome of the pH test.

We tested the runoff from the first plant (the Monster) and it was about 5 so we up the pH of the water to 7 before adding the nutes and the soil then tested at about 6 on our new meter.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#482584 - 09/26/10 08:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MrsGreenThumb said:
So we got the pH test kit, pH up and pH down, and a "Soil Master" meter that measures the Moisture, Light and pH levels.

We were wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with this meter, and if so how accurate is it?

If it is accurate, then we balanced the soil to about 6 tonight. We fed P1 Monster and J16. Th others still were wet according to the meter so we waited on those. Hopefully, we'll see a change soon.

Another question: Checking the pH of the water, do we do it before we add the nutes or after? I only ask because I was worried about the dark color of the nutes affecting the outcome of the pH test.

We tested the runoff from the first plant (the Monster) and it was about 5 so we up the pH of the water to 7 before adding the nutes and the soil then tested at about 6 on our new meter.

Make sure to give it some magnesium.

Some magnesium + potassium with the ph balanced water should clear that up. I'm pretty sure the top is just the magnesium, but since you had yellowing at the bottom with some parts starting to brown it made me think potassium too.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#482683 - 09/26/10 11:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, so, I don't think that the problem we had with the Monster is a nutrient problem. I wish I could post pics of what's happened in the past 24 hours, but I can't yet. Maybe by the morning I will.

The tips of almost all the leaves on the monster are dried up and dying. Now the leaves on the next oldest, J-15, are doing exactly the same thing, slightly yellow on the tips, then drying up to about halfway down the leaf blades. :confused:

I think this is due to the heat. We've been having a lot of heat here this weekend, and this morning the temps got up to 94 in the grow room...

The guy that we're doing this with says that in the middle of the summer he'd had this same problem (as far he could tell), and it was because the fans had been blowing this hot air over the leaves and drying them out, but only to the oldest plants. He said he re-arranged things so the fans weren't blowing across them. He said that this helped them recover.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I can't figure out what is happening, and why it's only on the two oldest of the plants...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#482684 - 09/26/10 11:29 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Heat stress looks different from what I've had happen to me and seen.

These images are similar to the ones in my book.

Here's the early stages of heat stress

Then here's a later stage

--------------------

Edited by Laysthepipe (09/26/10 11:35 PM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#483626 - 09/30/10 12:24 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So... I got a job offer in Seattle, and So I'm not going to be able to work with these plants anymore... :frown:

I've encouraged my friend to log on here and continue the thread, but I'm not sure if he will or not.

--------------------
My best run so far

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale