Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: God]
    #476295 - 09/12/10 06:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Honestly, it seemed like that to me as well, but they were taking it up pretty well. We had a hot spell for a while, and I think that may have contributed to their want for more water. We've actually started to pull back on how much we water. In the flowering room we're gonna see how watering every other night goes, and see if they like that a bit better.

As for watering in the veg room, that's been a bit more difficult to control, as it's in their bedroom closet, and not in the same area as the rest of everything else.

With the feeding, here's what each of them are getting:

The oldest ones, J-14, 15 and 16, the Monster and the Pandora-1 are all getting full nutes. Actually, J-14 won't be getting fed anymore though, since she's about 10 days from being harvested as it is. The full dose reccommended on the bottle is 1 tsp of the Floragro, 2 tsp of the flora micro, and 3 of the Florabloom for each gallon of water. These usually take about a gallon between the 5 of them, sometimes a little more.

The youngest ones in the budding room, J-17 & 18, are getting the suggested transitional phase dose, which is 2 tsp of each, gro micro and bloom per gallon of water.

The babies in the veg room have been getting nutes every watering, as far as I can figure out. The three oldest in there, the pan-2, the J-19 and J-20 get the full reccommended dose for vegging which is 3 tsp of the gro, 2 tsp of the micro, and 1 tsp of the bloom for each gallon of water.

The next two, J-21 and J-22 get half strenth nutes. The three older ones take about half a gallon, and then to water these, I just refill the jug to water it down a bit.

The new clones get the half-strength water, after it's been watered down once more...

Now, I'm a little worried the clones in the rock wool have been getting watered too much. How do I tell when they need more water?

Also, should the youngest clones not be getting nutes? I kinda feel like they should be getting straight water at least till they're in soil, but I can't really find anything definitive on that...

--------------------
My best run so far

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: Tank333]
    #476408 - 09/13/10 02:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I keep clones damper than anything else, but there needs to be air in the root zone as well.  They shouldn't be sitting in puddles, basically.  I don't know how to figure this out with rockwool, as I've never used it.

I give my clones straight water until I see roots.  Then I transplant to dixies and give them 1/2 strength or so, maybe less the first time.

You say one gallon between your five oldest?  Are all of these in 3 gallon buckets?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#476409 - 09/13/10 02:17 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, but that was when they were in 1 gallon pots. Sometimes they would take more, but not often. They've only been watered once since they were put in the three gallon pots. We were going to water them tonight, but I felt the soil in all the pots, and they all seemed pretty moist, so I felt it would be best to wait to water. I'll check them again in the morning when I turn off the lights, but I think we'll just end up waiting till tomorrow night to water.

Update on the newest clones. They definitely took. I'm happy, because this was my first try at ever taking a clone and getting it to start. I'll be really proud of these two once they go all the way through flowering...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#476612 - 09/13/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, ok!  That makes much more sense.  IME, it's better to let them get a bit too dry then stay too wet, so I say definitely wait until tomorrow night, or even the next night if it still feels damp tomorrow.  Of course, if anything starts to wilt from dryness, it's time to water.  Otherwise a bit of dry encourages healthy roots.  Good luck!

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#476845 - 09/13/10 11:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all the davice and support guys!

Growery, you are amazing!

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MrsGreenThumb]
    #476921 - 09/14/10 07:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I decided to water last night. When I went out to turn on the lights, all the pots felt pretty dry. I also had been noticing that the some of leaves on most of the plants had been getting lighter colored, starting to go towards a yellow tinge, so I decided to feed everyone, too.

The Pandora had gotten fed the night before, so the four oldest got a gallon split between the four of them (the J-14 didn't get any food, since she's only 7-8 days from harvest). The two younger ones in there split a half-gallon, fed with the full suggested transitioning phase nutes.

So, I was wondering. When a plant seems to be deficient in a specific nutrient (ie. N, P, or K), should you feed it with what you feed it regularly, or should you change what you feed it, and if so, how much of what should you change? As I stated before, I'm using the GH FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom, and those are the only nutrients I have right now, other than a really small amount of superthrive...

Could someone give me some insight on this?

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#477301 - 09/15/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The only deficiency I deal with on a regular basis is nitrogen.  In that case, I just increase the amount of FloraNova Grow I'm feeding with (Grow having a higher N content than Bloom).  I'd assume FloraGro would be the one with the higher N content of your three, so you could increase its proportion in your food until def is gone.  Extrapolate to P and K.

The other potential cause of, say, an N deficiency could be that the N is technically available, but is locked out from the plant, either because of the pH of the medium or some other random nutrient balance thing that I don't know enough about to describe further.  A solution here could be a thorough flush, then a feeding at the proper pH.

Flushing is often the solution if you can't diagnose the problem.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#477368 - 09/15/10 08:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, honestly, I don't think it's a lock-out problem... we've flushed all these plants once in the past month, and they seemed to really appreciate that. They've now been fed twice since being flushed, and they're looking a lot better.

We found evidence of mites last night though, so that's kinda my biggest worry at the moment... my friend says that he's had problems with mites before, and he'd used all sorts of things to try and fix em, till he found these "Hotshots hanging traps" that he says work really well.

I hope they do... i'd hate to see all this work destroyed!

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#477371 - 09/15/10 08:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Also, when I water, should I be watering until there's runoff coming out the bottom of the pot, or is a gallon split between 4 plants enough water?

I've also been shown a reservoir method, where you put enough r/o water in a bucket to submerge the pots in. You keep them under the water until there's no bubbles comin up, then you pull it out, drain it, and go to the next one... I don't have the room for this method right now, but I will when the remodling is done. I was wondering that this might be a way for bacteria to collect in you water easily... anyone on here use this method and got some advice on it?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ♪♫♪♫♪♫
Male User Gallery

Loc: afghanistan
    #477535 - 09/15/10 01:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

you talking about just a normal watering, or flushing?

normal watering you want 10-15% runoff,

flushing you want 80-90% runoff.

a simple solution with the mites which you may want to try is to add some biodegradeable dish soap to some good water and water and foliar with it, then foliar with plain water a few hours later, do this when the lights are out to(as with any foliar)

this is how i've gotten rid of mites several times outdoors.

There are MANY products to get rid of your mites tho, don't worry its not the end of the world. You can find EXCELLENT grows on here where they have had mites, and still came out with Top of the line nuggets.

--------------------
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #477538 - 09/15/10 01:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

oh and also when you water you want to stir up the top inch or so of soil with your fingers, so that the water drains through the soil evenly, and you don't get any spots under the soil that aren't getting water; they call them dry spots.

--------------------

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#478667 - 09/17/10 04:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, so we just got a nice boost in the wattages in the flowering room. I finally convinced my friend to invest in at least some new CFL's (most of the ones in there have been there for at least 2 or 3 months). He went to Wal-Mart and picked up 6 of the 200 Watt equiv. CFL's for like 12.50 each.

It's WAY brighter in there now. I can't wait till I can pick up enough to get rid of all those crappy 100 watt equiv. bulbs!

The count is now 6 55 watt (200 w equiv.), 5 42 watt (150 w equiv.), and 10 of the little 23 watt (100 w equiv). And there's still the T-8's on the floor in there, too...

Also, we tried out some of the bud that we had harvested last Friday, too! We let it hang in the closet for three days, and then we put it in a duct-tape covered jar, letting it air for about 5-10 minutes, 4-8 times a day. It tastes pretty bland, honestly. Not as bad as I was expecting, but definitely weak and still had a small bit of that MG/vegetabley taste to it... I think if I'd smoked maybe another bowl and a half, I'd have gotten a decent head change off it (this is between three people, not just a solo bowl).

The nougs were decently dense though. Moreso than the last plant was. And the next one to be harvested has WAY thicker and fuller cola's than this one ever did! I'm thinking that the next four plants we harvest are really going to show the effects of the changes we've made in the way these plants are cared for.

I'm really excited to see this all happening!

And to boot, I finally got ahold of another friend of mine who needs a caretaker, and got my wife signed on as his. Now we have doubled the number of plants we can legally grow from 15 to 30!!!

Now we just have to get the dryer moved somewhere else and installed, so we can use the rest of the space in the garage for more plants! hahaha!!!

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (09/17/10 04:41 PM)

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#478686 - 09/17/10 05:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

haha thats sick man! are u gonna get 15 clones or order some really good seeds, or how u gonna do the other 15? Sounds like you two are a happy couple! i sure would be haha!

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#478694 - 09/17/10 05:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well honestly, it's gonna be a lot of work to get a little "Dryer room" built onto the side of the shed, so I'm not going to be able to get more plants right away. There's not enough room in that little closet for more! lol

But we're probably gonna go with more clones. I know a few people with different strains, and I have a decent selection to chose from once I do have the room to make more. Right now, I can choose from White Widow, Rudy, Lola, Super Lemon Haze, Govt. Audit, San Fran., and Romulan... Once we have the extra room set up, we'll go with one new clone every 10 days, and probably pick up one or two new strains to go with the Jilly Bean and Pandora...

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#478870 - 09/17/10 11:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So excited!!!

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MrsGreenThumb]
    #478872 - 09/17/10 11:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It looks good but may i ask why did you trim all the leaves off during budding? I just thought that it was counter productive for the plants. I may be wrong tho.

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #478876 - 09/18/10 12:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

it would be to help light get to the lower and blocked bud sites.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #479039 - 09/18/10 11:17 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MR.HEADY said:
It looks good but may i ask why did you trim all the leaves off during budding? I just thought that it was counter productive for the plants. I may be wrong tho.

Well, I might not have been completely clear there, but we didn't trim off ALL the leaves. Just a few here and there that we felt would allow for the best light penetration.

We also clipped the smallest of the branches on the bottoms of all the plants. We took two or three off each plant, each night. We didn't want to take too many at once and shock the plant.
We felt that if they had less branches to put their energy into, they would produce larger colas on the remaining branches.

I know there is a lot of debate as to whether or not trimming of the plant creates more/larger nougs in the end. I think I'm in favor of the "more trimming = more buds (within reason, of course)". When we have more room, we're going to be doing some testing of these theories, as my wife doesn't think a lot of trimming is a very good idea. lol

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleHefe
    #479117 - 09/18/10 02:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The plants will be putting all of their energy into healing the wounds you're creating. So no energy is going to go into producing buds until all of those wounds are healed.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Jilly Bean/Pandora- Indoor soil w/CFL’s [Re: Hefe]
    #479119 - 09/18/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Actually on all the plants we pruned, within 36 hours we were seeing new bud formations, and they just look way healthier since then.

Ideally, we wouldn't be pruning actual branches during the budding cycle, only during the veg, but none of these had ever been pruned/trimmed, and most had some branches that if left, wouldn't have gotten a full gram between all of them. Those were all removed, to allow the other buds to develop better.

--------------------
My best run so far

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies