Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism?
    #311147 - 11/06/09 12:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

Last week I switched my lights from 18/6 to 24/0. However, I was reading somewhere that 24/0 in fact encourages hermaphroditism. Obviously, I want my seeds to have a good chance here at being nice beautiful ladies, not chix wit dix. They look really great (except for 1 which seems to have a bit of nute burn) but I really just want to do everything right. So, should I put my timer on the light again and revert back to 18/6? Or is it too late now, since they've been a whole week under the light?

-Edited for Clarification-

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (11/06/09 03:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: TomCollins]
    #311192 - 11/06/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Not sure about the switching back and forth, but my limited knowledge about it is that the hermie process occurs when the plant goes into flowering then back out of flowering.  Somehow it thinks it is missing its reproduction cycle and reacts by producing its own pollen in order to increase the chance that it can reproduce.

But the plant reacts to 12/12 as the primer or signal for flower.  24/0, 22/2, 18/6, 16/8 - these times are all really just strain specific and your own style.  Only reducing the total light dark ratio to that 12/12 gives them the flowering urge.

I really believe that my plants, despite being automatic plants, love to have a rest at night.  I thought about going 24/0 on them all the time as they are supposed to be able to take it, but I can see a change occur overnight as far as the overall look and feel of them.  They always get a tired look by the end of the 18 hours, then look fresh and perked up in the morning.  There has yet to be any serious evidence about getting yields that even make the additional hydro worth it running 24/0.

If it was me, I would put them back on 18/6, perhaps 1 hour added each night back if your worried about it.

Make sure though your grow space is 100% light proof for the 12/12 switch.  Any light at all can fuck them up big time.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #311194 - 11/06/09 01:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

24/0 is fine..... just dont keep switching the photoperiod time all over the place.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #311225 - 11/06/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
24/0 is fine..... just dont keep switching the photoperiod time all over the place.

Keep it constant.  Changes and variations in the environment is the cause of stress which leads to hermaphrodites.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlineazshroomer
Medical Marijuana Cultivator

Loc: Nor-Cal
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: Inverted]
    #311241 - 11/06/09 02:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I dont recommend 24/0.
I noticed plants put out only 1 leaf tip instead of 5 and also show other deformations under 24/0 light.
18/6 is safe.

--------------------
Check out my Grow The Growery teks!
:gethigh: Building Your Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Cloner:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Veg System:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own True Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Flower System (COMING SOON):gethigh:

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: azshroomer]
    #311244 - 11/06/09 02:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I use 18/6 for veg. most of the time.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #311248 - 11/06/09 02:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm going to experiment with a 20/4 and graduate the cycle down to an 18/6...I've got some monster sativa strains to grow, and I think I'm gonna flower them on an 11/13

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: Azyle00]
    #311251 - 11/06/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:I really believe that my plants, despite being automatic plants, love to have a rest at night.  I thought about going 24/0 on them all the time as they are supposed to be able to take it, but I can see a change occur overnight as far as the overall look and feel of them.  They always get a tired look by the end of the 18 hours, then look fresh and perked up in the morning.  There has yet to be any serious evidence about getting yields that even make the additional hydro worth it running 24/0.

I mean no offense, but the notion that cannabis plants in the veg phase need to "rest" is a silly one that has been disputed and/or refuted by just about every well-respected cultivator.

Ed Rosenthal:

"One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light.

The plant's photosynthetic rate determines its growth rate because the sugars are used by the plant to build tissue and for energy. Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime."

Greg Green:

"Cannabis is a light demanding plant. Professional growers keep the light on their plants using the 24/0 photoperiod for this reason. Plants that grow under 24/0 flourish and do not need a quantity of darkness in order to rest and perform photosynthesis properly. Plants that are grown in optimal conditions under 24/0 light regime grow vigorusly and the benefits of a 24/0 photoperiod can be seen actively in the results. More nodes are formed, more branches are created, leaf numbers increase, the plant is growing at its finest."

Robert Clarke and countless others all agree. To the OP, just leave them at 24/0 and watch them thrive. I've reaped the benefits of 24/0 for years and can't help but interject when I see it discussed.

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (11/06/09 03:00 PM)

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #311252 - 11/06/09 03:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, i am not quite understanding the question your asking.

My assumption was that you are trying to promote hermaphroditic characteristics to produce female seeds?

But reading the replies am wondering what exactly your trying to achieve?

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #311257 - 11/06/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

206 said:
"...Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime."

That does explain the extreme acceleration in growth I've seen this week. That and the larger cups. However, although the plants will grow vegetatively faster, that may not in fact be beneficial to the grower according to the reading I've been doing. Specifically here:

http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/18499-hermaphrodites.html

This article suggests lights cycles as low as 14 hours of light to ensure a large yield of female plants. Though I think that is a bit extreme, I would like to make the point that there are people who contest that and have evidence to back it.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Hey, i am not quite understanding the question your asking.

My assumption was that you are trying to promote hermaphroditic characteristics to produce female seeds?

But reading the replies am wondering what exactly your trying to achieve?

Oh shit, I just read my post and found it a bit confusing as well. Haha sorry. I do not want hermies, I would like to have all my plants filled with wonderful bud. I recently discovered an article (link above) that suggests HPS lights and 24/0 light cycles encourage hermaphroditism.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #311259 - 11/06/09 03:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Anytime the plants are getting good light and their stomata are open they will run better.

That's because both the light and dark reactions occur in the light. In the dark only the dark reaction occurs.

That's like saying the plant stored up all this energy during the day and uses it during the night.

Or you could store energy and build energy at the same time, like in the light reaction.

Plants have responses to the night time just to keep them alive until their huge life-giver in the sky comes back out.

I run 24/0 gives the ease of being able to start the 12/12 at any time you want.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #311263 - 11/06/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

God I hope my shit will be smokeable....

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #311264 - 11/06/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Definitly, reverting light cycles from a flowering hours(18/6) back to vegetive hours(24-0) is going to cause great stress on the plant. Greatly increasing the chance of hermaphoriic tendencies.

Can i ask why you are reverting back to a 24 hr light cycle after you started flowering?

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#311266 - 11/06/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

No dude, I've been 24/0 for and I still am. I was just scared that by having 24/0 I would encourage hermaphroditism, so I was asking should I change to 18/6.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (11/06/09 03:38 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #311268 - 11/06/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said: Well recently I switched my lights from 18/6 to 24/0

So what does that mean?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #311269 - 11/06/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Well recently I switched my lights from 18/6 to 24/0 (I think last weekend)

I'm so confused! :crazy:

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #311272 - 11/06/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sometime in the middle of last week I switched, I remember now it was around Tuesday or Wednesday when I installed the new flood chamber. They had been in 18/6, for the first week or so the plants went hydro, but then I switched it to 24/0.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (11/06/09 03:43 PM)

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #311273 - 11/06/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:highfive:

--------------------

Offlineazshroomer
Medical Marijuana Cultivator

Loc: Nor-Cal
    #311295 - 11/06/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Change to 18/6.
End thread.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Check out my Grow The Growery teks!
:gethigh: Building Your Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Cloner:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Veg System:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own True Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Flower System (COMING SOON):gethigh:

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does 24/0 encourage Hermaphroditism? [Re: azshroomer]
    #311303 - 11/06/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

azshroomer said:
Change to 18/6.
End thread.

:thumbup:

This is just flat-out bad advice, regardless of personal preference between 18/6 and 24/0. The OP has already switched the photoperiod once, which is one too many times.

Again I would recommend that the OP trust authoritative sources, i.e. Greg Green (The Cannabis Grow Bible) who writes:

"Once you start the photoperiod you should keep it that way especially when the plants near maturity (the preflowering stage). An irregular photoperiod can cause more males than females to develop. It can also cause sexual dysfunction to appear. Whether you choose 24/0 or 18/6 as your vegetative photoperiod try to keep that photoperiod unitl your plants are mature enough to express their sex."

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (11/06/09 04:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies