Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Finally got HID! How far away is OK?
    #238623 - 06/11/09 02:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I just got a 175w MH... I know it's not the best but hey, it's better than 2 CFL's which I've used since I started years ago.  And I'm flowering using the sun... It really doesn't seem like it gets that hot.  I put my 2 week old buddies 8" underneath it for now.  I put my hand right above the canopy and the back of my hand felt warm...but not hot.  Is this okay or am I gonna burn my little friends?

If I put my hand a couple inches lower it doesn't feel warm at all... Let me know ASAP please so I can go adjust.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Finally got HID! How far away is OK? [Re: Inverted]
    #238631 - 06/11/09 02:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

As close as you want! Here ya go Inv. I took these pics just a few mins. ago; just for you. As you can see, my 400W HPS is only about 6" away from my females. It is NOT air cooled, but unfortunately it's a vertical mount light. My females (3 of 12, don't laugh) are loving it close to the light. It keeps them from stretching too much and I think they like the heat from the lamp. As you can see from the pics my light is RIGHT OVER the top of my girls. I plan on keeping it no more than 6" from the top right up until harvest. To be more clear on this my nearest LEAF is about 4" from the BULB. They're lovin' it and so am I.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Finally got HID! How far away is OK? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #238641 - 06/11/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hell yeah man, Great Plants! I think 8" is a good start and if I feel like they are stretching I'll move it closer.  I only have good circulation during the day so the heat could be an issue but its only a 175... I had 150 of CFL's before and that was pretty damn warm, I think this might actually be cooler than the flouros.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #238975 - 06/12/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

you're going to love that shit man.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Finally got HID! How far away is OK? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #238989 - 06/12/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I know, it's only been a couple days and it is already making things sooo much fucking easier. I do love it. So do my babies. Check my Growlog

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Finally got HID! How far away is OK? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #239081 - 06/13/09 04:02 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
As you can see, my 400W HPS is only about 6" away from my females. It is NOT air cooled

6" on a 400W HPS or even a 600W HPS (with a cool-tube) is a great distance to really get some thick buds. :thumbup:

I know this is about using a MH for vegging, but sometime Inverted will realize the beauty of HPS, perhaps in the winter..... :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Finally got HID! How far away is OK? [Re: Sirius]
    #239828 - 06/15/09 11:07 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
As you can see, my 400W HPS is only about 6" away from my females. It is NOT air cooled

6" on a 400W HPS or even a 600W HPS (with a cool-tube) is a great distance to really get some thick buds. :thumbup:

I know this is about using a MH for vegging, but sometime Inverted will realize the beauty of HPS, perhaps in the winter..... :lol:

Hah I am already planning on purchasing the conversion bulb... I don't need high wattages because I want to use it like a micro grow... More or less just grow like 4 plants for a couple weeks of 24/0 then switch them over.  I'm only looking for 1oz per plant.  My bigger outdoor bitches will bring in the weight.  I'm just getting comfortable with the indoor game.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #240105 - 06/16/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I had 150 of CFL's before and that was pretty damn warm, I think this might actually be cooler than the flouros.

It will be cooler because HID lights are more efficient in terms of lumens per watt (less heat per light output with hids).

As for how close to place it, I like to place the plants just under where the back of my hand just starts to feel warm from the bulb. For me (cool tubed 400w) it is about 4-6" depending on how fast they are growing.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Finally got HID! How far away is OK? [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #240219 - 06/16/09 06:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Penguin.  I actually moved mine to within that range 2 days ago and it's made a big difference.  They are probably borderline burning but thats okay because as soon as I notice anything I'll back it off and remember at what distance they start to have problems.  Then I can keep them within an inch or 2 of the danger zone.  Heh... :stoned:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds