Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow * 3
    #309193 - 11/03/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

There are a lot of posts from first time growers or people who are brand new to growing and are about to try and grow at home for the first time.  Many rush in and start before even asking and learning about what they are really going to need to solve before embarking on this project. Simply planting a seed in soil and watering it is not going to produce very good results.  There is much more to being successful at producing, maintaining and growing decent and healthy plants.

This post contains the questions you need to ask yourself. 

Asking yourself these questions and learning about the options and hurdles you need to cross will really help you in getting answers for problems you face before you post asking for general help or tips about growing weed.

1) What is the size of my grow space (Example: 4' X 4' X 8')?

2) How many plants would I like to grow/handle at once?

3) Is my grow space enclosed or open?

4) What does my grow space have access to based on location (Example: Attics, Basements, Garage, Spare Room, Outdoors etc, etc)?

5) What ventilation does my grow space already have (Windows, Heating Vents, AC Ducts)?

6) Is it a high traffic or low traffic area around my grow space ?

7) Is smell from my grow space(yes weed growing SMELLS a lot) a factor/problem?

8) How will I deal with the smell generated by my grow space?

9) What type of light(s) am I planning to use, in detail (CFLs, Florescent, Metal Halide(MH), High Pressure Sodium(HPS), LED)?

10) Depending on the light chosen, how will I keep it cool/vented?

11) How will I keep the grow space cool (70-80F)?

12) How will I provide fresh air for the plants, or in other words, how will I vent the space continuously to exchange air?

13) Where will air that I expel or remove from my grow space go?

14) How will I safely provide power to run the equipment in my grow space?

15) How will I control the lights to power on and off on a strict schedule used in my grow space?

16) How will I position my lights and allow positional adjustments between my light and my plants?

17)What grow medium will I use, Soil, Hydro, Aero?

18) What "recipes" will I use, for my growing medium, for feeding during vegetative state, for feeding during flowering state?

19) How will I measure temperature and humidity in my grow space?

20) How will I measure PH in my water and soil?

21) How will I move air, to create a constant, oscillating breeze in my grow space?

22) Am I planting from seed or from cutting and rooting clones?

23) What are the start up costs for my project based on all the equipment I require?

24) What are my running costs, crop to crop or month to month based on my setup?

25) During the grow period, am I going to be away from my grow space for holidays, vacations etc?  How will I make sure my plants are ok during that time?

Answer these questions while in the planning stage and you will be far more successful than jumping in half blind.

All the information related to the above questions and much much more are available to you to research within this site by using the "Search" function.

Good luck with the quest! :stoned:
Did you find this post helpful?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (11/03/09 03:36 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Edited by Azyle00 (11/04/09 09:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do [Re: Azyle00]
    #309205 - 11/03/09 04:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I see you tryin Azyle.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do [Re: SmOakland] * 1
    #309213 - 11/03/09 04:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

*stickied

Good post Azyle, and I think that if new growers will check this out, the questions that come through the forum will be more direct, and educated.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do [Re: 81renaissance]
    #309216 - 11/03/09 05:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offlineazshroomer
Medical Marijuana Cultivator

Loc: Nor-Cal
Re: Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do [Re: Azyle00]
    #309277 - 11/03/09 06:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

excellent thread, was going to make one of these threads myself.
Only thing I'd recommend is changing title to:
"Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow"
and rephrasing the questions to a first person basis.
"what is the size of my growspace"
"How many plants would I like to grow"
Also I'd rephrase that plants one with how much would I like to produce in what sort of time frame.

--------------------
Check out my Grow The Growery teks!
:gethigh: Building Your Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Cloner:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Veg System:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own True Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Flower System (COMING SOON):gethigh:

Offlineazshroomer
Medical Marijuana Cultivator

Loc: Nor-Cal
Re: Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do [Re: azshroomer]
    #311458 - 11/06/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Noticed you took my advice, it looks great!
Excellent thread man.
People will benefit from it.

--------------------
Check out my Grow The Growery teks!
:gethigh: Building Your Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Cloner:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Veg System:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own True Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Flower System (COMING SOON):gethigh:

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
Re: Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do [Re: azshroomer]
    #315072 - 11/13/09 08:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This should be in the "MUST READ"!
Sound advice, and very good questions for noobs to answer.

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

Offlinefeelfunny
Stranger
Re: Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do [Re: jwes420]
    #316710 - 11/16/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

very nice. its my first day here and first indoor grow(what i got now) and this cheak list is a big help for me.

Offlinejeffernan
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: Azyle00]
    #452276 - 07/28/10 09:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i know its not relevant but wanted to post for quick reference. thanks

Offlinelb.killer
Stranger
Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: jeffernan]
    #452403 - 07/28/10 12:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

whats the best light that wont show up on infared??

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: lb.killer]
    #453552 - 07/31/10 02:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lb.killer said:
whats the best light that wont show up on infared??

LED, but if you're seriously concerned about IR detection you need to get enough anti-IR detection foil to cover the inside of all the outer walls and ceilings of any aboveground rooms. If you don't do this, and only do your growroom it will stand out like a beacon to whoevers looking. Grows in basements only need to have their cielings and the above ground portion of their foundations covered.

p.s. Great post.

--------------------

Edited by PapaKush (08/03/10 05:11 PM)

OfflineWigdout
Adjustments R A good thing!

Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: PapaKush]
    #454608 - 08/03/10 03:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Mahalo for the advise. These are definitely the Q's that I have asked myself. I believe many first timers, like myself, will benefit from the wisdom posted here and on this forum!

Invisiblestarrider

Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: Wigdout]
    #459932 - 08/14/10 10:53 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You have a good list and your right. There are a lot of consideraolved with growing. My start up cost was about 3,000 dollars. I can only grow 12 plants but those 12 plants have everything they need to grow. From FAE to CO2. Looking forward to the future with these plants.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: starrider]
    #459957 - 08/14/10 11:32 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

starrider said:
You have a good list and your right. There are a lot of consideraolved with growing. My start up cost was about 3,000 dollars. I can only grow 12 plants but those 12 plants have everything they need to grow. From FAE to CO2. Looking forward to the future with these plants.

:andyistic:

CO2 supplementation is something I'm interested in trying out, but its pointless right now because my air exchange for the setup I use (well, will be using soon if the fucking stars and planets will align) is 5x per minute.
How are you controlling heat in a closed system? A/C unit?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: 81renaissance]
    #460036 - 08/14/10 12:50 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

it sounds like he's doing CO2 and FAE which is just a gigantic waste of monies. :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblestarrider

Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: 81renaissance]
    #461274 - 08/16/10 09:03 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

starrider said:

CO2 supplementation is something I'm interested in trying out, but its pointless right now because my air exchange for the setup I use (well, will be using soon if the fucking stars and planets will align) is 5x per minute.

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

starrider said:

My temp is about 80 avg. I have a fan sending air through the light. And the light is only producing 275watts. I'm worried about the other light that will produce 400+watts.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

Offlineweedgrwr
CrzyAsian

Loc: Europe Flag
Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: Azyle00]
    #473220 - 09/06/10 06:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the helpful info

--------------------
"Never fight with a pig - you both get dirty and the pig enjoys it." Ditch the dealer. Learn how to grow weed <3 The Herb.

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

#489643 - 10/20/10 12:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yo, okay so ima first time grower, and i jumped into it half blind with my girfriend cause we were really eager to experiment.
anyways, my lighting fixture is complicated and basically it's not exactly set directly under the light and i'd say its about 4 inches to the left. i left for about 2 hours and when we came back it was nticable that the plant had been growing towards the light.
its avout 2 weeks into its veg. state and i just wanna know if this will affect it later on in its life.
also i dont have any vinyl so we brain stormed using aluminum foil with the dull side facing the plant, good idea or no?
any feedback would be grreatly appreciated

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions to ask yourself before starting your first indoor grow [Re: skeeter420]
    #489718 - 10/20/10 10:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey skeet, welcome to the growery. 
In the future, if you have a specific question that doesn't fit with an existing thread, its best to start a thread of your own in the cultivation forums.

That said, let's get your question answered:
Cannabis is photosensitive and will follow the light.  You've got a tough procedure to fix your plant...rotate it 180 degrees. :grin:
The plant will move back toward the light.  You do want to center the plant under the light though to take full advantage of the lumens produced.
I would go buy some black and white poly film or mylar before using foil, but if that's absolutely impossible then go with the dull side of the foil.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

#489722 - 10/20/10 10:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah we decided that last night, just rotate the pot around, but i need to try and get on a way to center it. In the long run will it do any harm if not  being hit with direct light?
Alright, yeah foil wasnt the bbest choice but seems to be working, where would i get black and white poly film? Osh or home depot? some stores like that will most likely have it im assuming. the Ph of the soil is 6.5 which is slightly acidic, bad or good?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck