Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFugueRider
God! I Love Psychedelics!
 User Gallery
Going to Start a Grow in a Couple of Months - Beginning Questions
    #220907 - 04/28/09 09:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So I traded a guy some boomers for some seeds (sour diesel kush), and am going to prep for a grow starting in a couple of months. I need the time to collect gear, and so I can start the grow at least relatively prepared and kind of educated.

I have been talking to the guy I traded with, and he said that for a first grow I should go ahead and use soil. That is fine with me because we are pretty short on bread right now. So I know I need to have a light. I am thinking of a 400 watt lamp and the necessary accouterments associated with it. He said the grow area for a 400 watt lamp is about two square feet, and could be pushed to four square feet at the outside limit.

The lamp stuff seems pretty clear (unless anyone has any advice to throw my way that I may need to know about). Where I am more unclear is about my actual grow area. The reading I am doing encourages me to grow in an area that is free from carpet. The best place I could do it would be in a closet in my basement. It is a fairly decent sized area (2.5' x 7' x 7'), with a concrete floor. It is in the basement where I can control the plant's exposure to light with precision. Can the plants get enough FAE in a closet area? Or should I grow them in the room where the closet is. It has a window and so FAE wouldn't be a problem there...however, the room is carpeted.

The other question that there seems to be debate about is the matter of a grow tent. Should I get one or not? I am interested in debate on the matter.

Once I get this settled, I will start working on the mechanics of growing such as what to put in the soil, how to germinate the seeds etc. Any thoughts will be well appreciated.

On another note. This is my first post on the growery. I started from ground zero growing mushrooms (getting real into edibles now), and have gotten pretty good at them from everything I have learned on the shroomery. I am psyched to do the same with a good sativa strain.

:sun: Peace :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: Going to Start a Grow in a Couple of Months - Beginning Questions [Re: FugueRider]
    #220916 - 04/28/09 09:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

First off, SD Kush tends to lean towards the indica side(at least from my genetics), a 400w light will cover 3x3 well if you put up reflective material and have the outer walls close. If I was you I would build a 3x3x6-7ft enclosure and put in a 400w light, a filter and fan. Grow with soil for the time and move to hyro then aeroponics. I was pulling about a pound per sqm with soil and almost two pounds with aeroponics on this strain.

--------------------

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery
Re: Going to Start a Grow in a Couple of Months - Beginning Questions [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #220925 - 04/28/09 09:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
First off, SD Kush tends to lean towards the indica side(at least from my genetics)

Hmm, everything I have come across says that it is 90/10 in favor of sativa. Although, I would like to know how they go about testing this. No matter though, these are the seeds I have, and so they are the seeds I will use. I was glad to be able to make the trade man, seeds are really expensive.

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:A 400w light will cover 3x3 well if you put up reflective material and have the outer walls close.

What do you mean by "have the outer walls close?" Or do you mean to have the outer walls closed?

Also, is Mylar the best reflective material? If not, then what is the best. If Mylar is the best, then where I can I get the best deal on it?

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:If I was you I would build a 3x3x6-7ft enclosure and put in a 400w light, a filter and fan. Grow with soil for the time and move to hydro then aeroponics. I was pulling about a pound per sqm with soil and almost two pounds with aeroponics on this strain.

Cool dude - This is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. It never hurts to appeal to others who have gone before. Do you have any URL's that link to images of a setup that is at least similar to what you are talking about that I could appeal to...so that I don't try and re-invent the wheel?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Going to Start a Grow in a Couple of Months - Beginning Questions [Re: FugueRider]
    #221032 - 04/29/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"have the outer walls close" means have the reflective walls extend from the walls of the tray; make the growing area 3x3 do not just put the tray in a room...

Mylar is the most reflective, reasonably priced, available material. That said, I hate it... Flat white paint (not glossy or anything) is only fractionally less reflective and it is cheaper, more durable, and a lot less of a pain in the ass to work with (mylar is very hard to remove wrinkles from, generally thin and prone to tearing, and if you rub it enough (ie: when cleaning) it stops being as reflective). You can also use black & white polyfilm (aka: pandafilm, visqueen) as a substitute for hung mylar.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineJohnny420

#221034 - 04/29/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

What do you mean by "have the outer walls close?" Or do you mean to have the outer walls closed?

He means if you're growing in a 3x3 area then build some walls to border your grow. Cover these in mylar so they reflect the light back into the plants. If you just sit them in the middle of a room a some of the light from the lamp will be wasted.

and from what i know mylar is like 95% reflective. I don't know of anything better. You should be able to get it from your hydro shop for a couple of bucks a meter.

--------------------
:jah: :baggy: WE HIT THE TREES TILL WE LOOK VIETNAMESE :baggy: :jah:

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery
Re: Going to Start a Grow in a Couple of Months - Beginning Questions [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #221542 - 04/30/09 06:57 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
"have the outer walls close" means have the reflective walls extend from the walls of the tray; make the growing area 3x3 do not just put the tray in a room...

I spent some time ckecking out your pvc grow tent. That seems really solid...and way less expenisve than anything I have been pondering. The only thing I can't quite figure out is how tall the unit is. Is it nine feet tall (because of the nine foot sticks of pvc)? If it is nine feet high, I will have to tweak it because of the height of my room. At any rate, I am going to go with that system while I get the bread together to buy a light.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #221606 - 04/30/09 12:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ha! I didn't put dimensions in that post because you can cut the PVC to literally any size. My tent is only 1.5'x2'x2.5' because I only use it for mothers. If you wanted to build a full size tent like that, I would suggest stepping up the size of the PVC and adding at least one support per side to lessen the effect of negative pressure on the walls of the tent. All said though, you will definitely save money by building your own tent.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery
Re: Going to Start a Grow in a Couple of Months - Beginning Questions [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #221677 - 04/30/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
Ha! I didn't put dimensions in that post because you can cut the PVC to literally any size. My tent is only 1.5'x2'x2.5' because I only use it for mothers. If you wanted to build a full size tent like that, I would suggest stepping up the size of the PVC and adding at least one support per side to lessen the effect of negative pressure on the walls of the tent. All said though, you will definitely save money by building your own tent.

Yeah, it ain't taking much selling to make me see the light on this one. I have been pricing them out over the last few days. Forget it. I'm going to build my own.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract