Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDebute23

Starting from the ground up, a small grow
    #185463 - 01/20/09 03:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hello folks, this is a project that I am starting for a friend. He has asked me to do all his posting for him because he hates technology. What a chump. So he has instructed me to start from the very beginning, and will be referred to as SWIM from now on. Okay so on with it!

He has grown before, he used a kit from Stealth Hydroponics. This time around he wants his operation to be better. He isn't sure if a soil grow or a hydro grow would be better. This is also a closet grow, where he only wants maybe 2 to 3 seeds at a time. This is going to be personal and stealth, just as an FYI.

So first things first, whats easier to deal with, soil or hydro?

[As a side note I want this thread to accomplish the very beginning from planning to the very end to harvesting. What bulbs to use, what fertilizer or nutrients, ectera. This thread will be used to help anyone who wants to start off as a small side project or a small stealth grow. Do your best to contribute!]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesnufkin
Male
Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: Debute23]
    #185478 - 01/20/09 03:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It is generally accepted that soil requires less maintenance and produces tastier buds. Just make sure to get large enough pots (11-15L is working for me). I'm growing stealth in my closet as well, although it doesn't have to very stealth because people don't enter my room unless invited.

First off, how big is the closet? What equipment do you already own that can be used?

Oh and welcome to the growery btw. Please don't let the drama over at the smoke lounge get to you.

--------------------
Grows: 1 2

InvisibleDebute23

Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: snufkin]
    #185524 - 01/20/09 03:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

snufkin said:

Oh and welcome to the growery btw. Please don't let the drama over at the smoke lounge get to you.

Haha, thanks. Curiosity kills the cat, and I just had to take a peek into the lounge. You were right, lol.

Anyways, space doesn't seem to be an issue. I have sheds outside of my house that I could use. Very discreet.

I used to have a HPS light, and a lot of hydro stuff such as water pumps, those brown beads used to hold the plants, and a couple of fans. But my other friend ran off with it all when we finished our first operation. No bueno.

Okay I think I'll give growing with soil a chance. I'm a newb to this aspect, time for research. Whats a good soil to use with fertilizer and nutrients?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #185565 - 01/20/09 04:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

And flush your plants real well before you hang to dry...You don't want that nasty ass taste of ferts in them. :nonono:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinesnufkin
Male
    #185579 - 01/20/09 05:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Debute23 said:
Whats a good soil to use with fertilizer and nutrients?

This is a sophisticated science and somehow the opinions on this matter are more numerous than there are types of soils.
I'm getting good results with mushroom compost mixed in with some locally produced potting soil, but I probably don't speak for most growers.

--------------------
Grows: 1 2

InvisibleDebute23

Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: mhbound]
    #185593 - 01/20/09 05:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
And flush your plants real well before you hang to dry...You don't want that nasty ass taste of ferts in them. :nonono:

Haha but I love the burning taste of 3 week old bloom in my plants :grin:

You're right about the science part. From my understanding there nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. I'm going to do a bit of research and read some collective opinions then post my mix. This part seems to differ from grower to grower but I'll just what I decide to use.

But in the mean time anyone know of any good seed banks? I was planning on using Nirvana, had good experience in the past.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#185617 - 01/20/09 06:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I saw someone growing Big Bang in here...I plan to try it out soon. Nirvana is a good bank.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: mhbound]
    #186069 - 01/21/09 07:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Nirvana is the perfect seed bank for new growers. Their plants are uniform enough to get you by without alot of headaches but they are cheap enough that if they die, you're not out 100$.

As for soil preferences, any high quality potting soil will do (miracle grow is NOT high quality). I personally like any of the fox farm products, ocean forest or happy frog, also the promix (plus?) soil-less line is great as well.

For soil fertilizer I really like the mother earth tea or earth juice lines for organic nutrients or the flora nova or fox farm lines for chemical nutes.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

InvisibleDebute23

Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #186222 - 01/21/09 02:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a bunch of Seed banks that I've heard some news about. I will probably try Nirvana, DR Chronic, or BC Seed king. Just have to find a strain I like lol.

http://www.nirvana-shop.com/
http://www.drchronic.com/
http://www.bcseedking.com/
http://www.seedboutique.com/

Here's another question about soil. When I first germinate the seeds, will I have to transfer them at some point? As in will I need two separate soils for birthing and growing?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #186232 - 01/21/09 02:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Usually you will not need two different soils to sprout and to grow. Just make sure you buy a good soil with now harsh chemical fertilizer in it and you should be fine.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#186233 - 01/21/09 03:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You germinate and plant with the tail in the sand but barely covered. You will transfer depending on how large you plan to get the plant. You double the size of the pot everytime you transplant...Or it's what I do. So if it's 1 quart...You use a 2 quart tub and so on.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleDebute23

#186710 - 01/22/09 12:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineOregonMeds
    #190069 - 01/27/09 04:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I actually preferred hydro when I first started because all my soil grows always yielded low....
Reason being, I didnt pay attention to my PH when growing with soil. I also didnt use a good soil. But with the hydro I was very vigilant about the PH,PPM, etc etc.... '
So just remember, buy GOOD soil,Pay attention to the PH and give adequate lighting. Dont think that "any soil will work" Thats what I did and it almost made me stay away from soil completely. I am glad I didn't tho :wink:

OfflineGanjaGardener
Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: OregonMeds]
    #191178 - 01/31/09 11:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Your whole setup really depends on how much $$$ your willing to throw down. So how much is the budget here?

InvisibleDebute23

Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: GanjaGardener]
    #191680 - 02/02/09 07:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

GanjaGardener said:
Your whole setup really depends on how much $$$ your willing to throw down. So how much is the budget here?

I've already spent around 100 on items. Basically its a stealth closet grow with 2 30 gallon tubs, 4 40watt CFLs, soil grow, and a carbon filter. Just what the doctor ordered  :bigjoint:

But I still need ideas for soil and air circulation! What should I do with a fan and what not? The carbon filter is already built I just need to install, but I have no idea what to do about a fan.

Also I really wanted to make my own soil, but buying a mix doesn't seem like a bad idea. Where the hell do I find worm casing? I saw worm poop, but what are casing? All this soil shit is seasonal and it's fucking cold right now. Grumble...

InvisibleYasi
Harbinger
Male User Gallery

#191725 - 02/02/09 09:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

squirrel cage blower. simple way to exchange air.
oscillating fan for circulation.

worm casings are worm poop.....
:ganja:

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep to the rythm of the War Drums
Wild Seeds (again)
White widow X Sour Diesel grow

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: Yasi]
    #192592 - 02/05/09 01:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

IMO You're going to need to add more light, maybe not right away during seedling and veg growth, but you will definitely want more than 4 40w for flowering. If using CFLs, make sure you use cool white and warm white to get beneficial spectrum.

Also, for such a budget grow, squirrel cage blower is probably over doing it you likely won't need that much CFM and they are very loud. For that small an area you can probably get away with a 4" inline fan like the one at htgsupply.com for $40 with an 80 CFM. Hook up their budget carbon filter to that for $50 if you don't already have one and you'll be safer from prying nostrils. Just hook up the inline fan to a hole in the wall or ceiling above your lights using 4" dryer hose. You can get that for $10 at walmart.

You can also get a cheap pH test kit from walmart for $5 so there is no excuse not to use it. A cheap way to pH down your water if it is high is to use Apple Cider Vinegar (my water is about 8 pH from my tap so I add a few drops per liter) and for pH up you can just add more water or use baking soda.

Now all you need to do is get some soil mix. People often spend unreasonable amount of time worrying about their soil mix. My advice to you is K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Use a sterile potting soil from walmart with no additives. Add perlite to it in a 2/1 soil/perlite mixture. Add some worm castings if that's what you choose. For my current grow I'm using a 2 potting soil 1 coco coir 1 perlite mix and I spend the extra cash on good water soluble organic nutes from Advanced Nutrients.

Hope this helps you out.

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

OfflineJSweed

Re: Starting from the ground up, a small grow [Re: SevenFingers]
    #194504 - 02/10/09 09:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

oh fyi I have taken a lot of hort classes at the community college.  My teachers advice was this on increasing pot size.  To go up to the next sized pot.  The reason he gave for this at least as applying to floral ornamentals was that when increasing pot size.  The root system expands using a lot of the plants energy till it reaches the edge of the pot.  Then the plants upper half catches up.  So if you increase the pot size gradually you will get more uniform even growth from root to visible growth, vs a long delay as the root system expands. 

I dont remember everything he said but I still have all my notes out in the garage somewhere and he gave like 15 handout booklets per class but they are all out of order due to the book being tossed against a wall.  hmmm damnit.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds