Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting a grow [Re: krypto2000]
    #127383 - 10/01/08 10:08 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I don't see why I'd have to ever move my plants, and that looks pretty convenient for watering. How much did it cost you to build? I would feel safer knowing I could disassemble everything quickly in case I had to move/get rid of them. Also, I was thinking after I've got this first batch under my belt, maybe a couple others, I'd build a 2nd box for vegging, so that would require me to move them, but maybe this is more worth it. I'd like to hear more about it (edit: cost, how it's made, is it anymore effective, can you fit more plants etc).

It certainly is convenient with watering. I've always worked with this system and have no experience with containers. Is is particularly suitable for creating a living soil, with worms to keep the soil airy and remove old roots, and mycorrhiza (symbiosis between fungus and roots of the plants) fungus. I reuse most of my (peat)soil because I don't like removing, dumping, buying and carrying new soil. I renew 15% (one bag) of the peat-mix after every grow.

I also use a tensiometer to know when to water. Mine was 30 euro, and I bought it here. I don't have any US based shops for you, because I always order in Europe. The tensiometer works great. You almost need something like that if you water from below. The top of the soil always stays dry. This also helps against some pests.

The structure is made from wood. You should check your local price for that. Put some thick foil in there, the thing they use for ponds is good. This should be very cheap. I found the drainage tubes at a local shop that sold it for $2 per meter (~3').  Then you only have to fill it with a lot of soil/medium. I use this.

Quote:

My idea is to build a good, frugal setup without skimping on anything. I'm not super tight on cash, if it's worth it I'm willing to spend more, but I don't have money to waste either.

:cool: Make sure you buy decent industrial fans. Like dr penguin said: centrifugal fans, not the bathroom/kitchen inline fans nor pc fans :smile:. You don't waste money on a good fan. They don't need to be very large though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekrypto2000

Loc: Slightly off the Ground
Re: Starting a grow [Re: Sirius]
    #127417 - 10/01/08 11:56 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Oh, weird. Should've tested it first, thanks though Sirius. I won't need the reflector, but it comes with it and it still seems cheaper than anywhere else I could find one. Should be a digital ballast, a 600w HPS and a 600w MH for $165 shipped all together. I'll build my own carbon filter and cool tube. Looks like I'm going to have all of this come out relatively inexpensive so far.

Edited by krypto2000 (10/01/08 11:57 AM)

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting a grow [Re: krypto2000]
    #127818 - 10/01/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Looking good. I would call them and find out what brand the ballast is though. Make sure it has some sort of warranty as well. But if it turns out to be a reputable ballast, that is a killer deal.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds