Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
Loc: Florida
how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity?
    #48571 - 06/02/08 01:49 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i know a plant that flowers is set to die, but in how long?

can you clone a plant, and as it's a clone, will have the maturity to flower-however, can you clone a plant that's very short, let's say way under a foot, a clone that's 8" or less, and give it more longevity?

Being that it will flower no matter how short it is if the plant it was cloned from was budding(i know this from experience), what I'm asking is, despite that, since the plant is brand new as a clone, and is very young and short, will it be able to live longer if it is a short enough clone?

meaning, if I clone a plant and it's 1 foot or less, and it buds, then reverts to vegetation, is there a chance that plant would live long enough, for me to grow it to a big enough size, to make another few successful clones off that one.

this whole growing outdoors thing is difficult for me, and I'd like to be able to keep clones outside even, without having to do that pain in the ass pollinating technique on plant but not the rest crap. You know? peace

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: Iamasmoker]
    #48645 - 06/02/08 05:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Iamasmoker said:
Being that it will flower no matter how short it is if the plant it was cloned from was budding(i know this from experience), what I'm asking is, despite that, since the plant is brand new as a clone, and is very young and short, will it be able to live longer if it is a short enough clone?

When you take a clone, regardless if the plant you are taking it from is in vegetative state or flowering state, the clone reverts back to vegetative state in order to root.

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: Sirius]
    #48651 - 06/02/08 05:35 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I got you, so there's a good chance that I can clone plants successfully for years, even growing outside, where there's more of a chance of a clone rooting, growing and flowering, and being near it's death in the cycle.

the reason I ask. I had a plant that was a clone and it rooted in flowering season, RIGHT AFTER it rooted it flowered, and this thing was only 6 inches tall, but wider than a 6 inch new plant obviously since it was a clone. Suprisingly enough, the other plants stopped growing when they started to flower, and this plant kept growing.

are you saying if I did this, that that plant, even though it's flowering, might have a few more months, and if it got a little bigger, I could make clones off of it or something?

I'm just saying it seems like a risk.

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: Iamasmoker]
    #48676 - 06/02/08 05:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well, as soon as it roots, the clone will enter flowering if the photoperiod signals it to do so. You said the other plants stopped growing when they started to flower, but I'm sure they had their stretch as soon as the photoperiod signaled it was time to start flowering. The clone continuing to grow was probably just it doing its stretch.

So, essentially, what you're asking is if you could take a clone, and take another one from it after it grows and stretches a little before it really starts to flower, and continue on the process like that? I definitely wouldn't think you'd have a few months in which the clone, in flowering from the time it roots, would grow and stretch before it focused on bud production.

If you're looking to keep refreshing an outdoors site, I think the best thing to do would be to keep a mother in vegetative state indoors and take the clones out there. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: Sirius]
    #48684 - 06/02/08 06:08 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, I don't really have that option, everyone keeps telling me that though.

so there's no way I could cheat it, huh? just constantly keep cloning the thickest branches and try and keep them as short as possible so hopefully they won't flower if under 13 hours of light?

you don't think a few would make it through the season and start growing again when the lighting goes over 13? in which i'd automatically clone the plant as soon as I saw them stop flowering, as those could die at any time, right?

does that sound more clear?

by the way, what is stretching? i'm not the cannabis expert

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #48719 - 06/02/08 07:40 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

no, you wouldn't want that either. A plant that goes from flowering to veg will be stressed out. Also, you don't want your plants reverting to veg after it's started producing buds either. It's still early june, if you're looking to increase your yield you still have enough time to taker a bunch of clones and root them. Your clones won't grow as big as your mother plant will, but, they will flower and increase your yield.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: coda]
    #48772 - 06/02/08 09:56 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

your clones won't grow as big as your mother plant? why? because of time? or because they're clones?

so it's not a good idea to try and make clones from an already flowering plant, they'll be to stressed out, the whole point was, come March or April or whatever, I was just going to clone the shit out of as many of the thickest branches I could

there's a lot about weed I don't understand, it's a sensitive fucking plant

I don't understand how a plant that can grow hydroponically can get too much water too easily in a pot at the same time

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
    #48773 - 06/02/08 09:58 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

but your saying if the branch your cloning had flowered it'd be stressed out as well, huh?

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #48781 - 06/02/08 10:14 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Iamasmoker said:
your clones won't grow as big as your mother plant? why? because of time? or because they're clones?

Because of time, since they are outdoors.

Quote:

I don't understand how a plant that can grow hydroponically can get too much water too easily in a pot at the same time

I'm not experienced or more than generally familiar with hydroponics, but I think the answer you're looking for has to do with aeration. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #48834 - 06/02/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not experienced or more than generally familiar with hydroponics, but I think the answer you're looking for has to do with aeration.

Yes, oxygen is essential to healthy and productive roots. Most hydroponic systems still allow for a period of dryness. Flood and drain tables work that way. They flood the tray with water for the plants to use, then after a period of time has passed the water is drained out allowing the roots to breath and dry out. Soiless mixtures still have a period of 1-3 days between waterings allowing the medium and roots to dry.

I think the only exception to the rule i can think of would be a DWC setup, but even then i don't think the entire rootmass is submerged underwater.

Quote:

but your saying if the branch your cloning had flowered it'd be stressed out as well, huh?

In the early stages of flowering you're still able to take clones without too much stress on it. If you attempt to take clone a branch that already has buds on it, you'll be putting the clone through a lot of stress.

--------------------

OfflineTheMantis
Convivialist
Male

Loc: Bay Area, California
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: coda]
    #48947 - 06/02/08 01:42 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
In the early stages of flowering you're still able to take clones without too much stress on it. If you attempt to take clone a branch that already has buds on it, you'll be putting the clone through a lot of stress.

That shouldn't matter right now. It's just barely June.

If you take a clone from a flowering plant, will it really be less successful than a clone from a vegging plant. Have you seen the difference in the outcome?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: TheMantis]
    #48999 - 06/02/08 02:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

That shouldn't matter right now. It's just barely June.

i understand that, i was just pointing the fact out.

Quote:

If you take a clone from a flowering plant, will it really be less successful than a clone from a vegging plant. Have you seen the difference in the outcome?

Again i'll reiterate, taking clones from a flowering plant which has only been on 12/12 for 2 weeks or less (2 weeks is usually around the time your buds begin to form) you should be ok.

Now, to answer your question, yes, taking a clone from a plant that's flowering can be less successful then a clone that's taken from a plant in the veg state. Simply put the clone from the veg plant will have the right chemicals/hormones needed for the veg state.

A clone taken from a flowering plant will have to go through more to get back into the vegetative state. First it has to being switching back to the vegetative state by producing the proper chemicals/hormones, then it has to grow roots and begin producing new vegetative growth. So, knowing that, the farther along in flowering you take the clone the harder it's going to be to get it to root and grow again.

I'll also note that it's not an uncommon practice to take clones from a flowering plant. People force sex their plants and then take clones from the females, so it's not an impossible feat. But compared to taking clones from a plant in veg it's more difficult and stressful (for the plant).

Quote:

Have you seen the difference in the outcome?

Personally? No, i never take my clones from a flowering plant. However i've read a lot of grow journals and threads where people have. Results vary, i'd say the most common problem was not getting them to root with the next being slow/stunted growth for a while. In some severe, or experimental, cases the end result is usually a plant that turns hermie on you.

--------------------

OfflineTheMantis
Convivialist
Male

Loc: Bay Area, California
    #49011 - 06/02/08 02:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ouch! Good to know.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
Re: how long is too long is a good question, how far can you stretch cannabis longevity? [Re: TheMantis]
    #49076 - 06/02/08 03:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

wow, lot of good replies, this thread has been well answered. I know about the stresses, I took a clone once from a plant that had buds, I guess the branch was too small, and it died in a few days, completely dried up, I was guessing this was from the stress of trying to root a fully budded(over 2 months at that) branch of a plant.

I'm guessing the more clone of a clone of a clone of a clone of a plant you have, the better your chances of cloning a flowering plant, which is why I'm hoping I can grow a tree!

also, is there a veg fertilizer that works well? high nitrogen lower potassium or phosphate or whichever makes it flower the one in the middle, right? and for flowering just use a fertilizer with high amounts of all nutrients, right?
thanks

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds