Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArapala
Stranger

LST'ing Stretched Seedlings to keep plants low...
    #770296 - 02/26/15 05:30 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

A friend has some seeds sprouting of an unknown stain(s) just some bag seeds for experiments... I'm curious what the earliest you train your seedlings is?

These are for a stealth micro grow indoors. Sadly the stems stretched a bit from being to far from the light... The lights moved closer and my friend has started training them on their fourth day. Shes trying to keep the plants low and bushy.

Is this too young to start lst'ing?

Im curious to see what happens. So far the seedlings are not showing signs of Even being stressed...

Is this a bad idea, have you guys tried this? Is my friend wasting their time and grow space with these?

Pics:

Other seedlings a lil younger short enough not to start lst yet...

Comments, input, suggestions for a noob...

Thanks!!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LST'ing Stretched Seedlings to keep plants low... [Re: Arapala]
    #770302 - 02/26/15 06:22 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Wait until it has a few developed branches, maybe 6" tall. Some plants were meant to be topped, some were not, you gotta figure out if you want to chop it by how the thing looks.

Top it when its small, then let it branch out some, bend the branches over to spread out, then maybe top those in a few days if you want more bushy/squat growth and the plant can support it.

Topped once: (day 12 of a rooted clone, a seedling will take longer). From the looks of it, the wound has healed, so it was topped a day or two before.

Tplanted and letting it bush out, day 14

Day 22, bushing out

Day 31, bending over the branches. Topping the ends of those would have been done this day, but here I opted not to

Day 34, back to bushy. with the branches sideways the side branches have an oppertunity to grow directly upward. This is why its good to top the ends sometimes, to promote those side branches going straight up to become primaries.

Then in flower about 2-3 weeks in I like to trim the under brush that is not looking like it is a strong producer.

Notice the pinch points here, the big fat ball. Those are like super highways, but be cautious, some plants can take bending/kinking no problem, where other plants will snap in half like celery stalks. In both cases you need to pinch the branch where you want to bend it, then gently work it up and down so it becomes playable and wants to limp over. Some places get so tough that they need pliers to pinch--that's why its best to do it in earlier growth, when the plant is naturally less rigid.

If you bend the branch over too much and its really kinked then it can die off. If in doubt support it so that it relieves some of the pressure at the bend.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineArapala
Stranger

Re: LST'ing Stretched Seedlings to keep plants low... [Re: phychotron]
    #770340 - 02/27/15 02:58 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Nice reply, thank you for taking the time to include the beautful pics.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #770351 - 02/27/15 06:39 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

No problem.Once you've already uploaded them it makes you want to pull them out and get as much mileage out of them as you can. Check the links in my signature to see where those came from.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineArapala
Stranger

#770534 - 03/01/15 03:48 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

@phychotron

So what do you think might be the negative aspects of tying down the seedling so early, as opposed to later?

My friend is hoping the now curved stem will still get thick and woody like the base of most mature cannabis plants. we shall see i suppose...

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #770632 - 03/01/15 08:16 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Tradition. One thing you need to consider is that your in the learning phase, you NEED to experiment. Play around, top, train, get as much under your belt as possible so that you understand how the plant will respond before you do anything to it. Get multiple seeds going and do different things--clones are a great way to experiment because if you trim the under-branches as a plant goes into flower you get a shit ton of potential clones, all of which would normally go right to the garbage. I take ~20-30 clones (aerocloner) to get 9 good one's to plant, to get 6 good one's to make it to flower, the others get tossed or traded. Its good to race them, flower the best and ditch the rest.

as soon as you bend the plant over, the top will start to want to grow upward, so it will be curved, but then just stick right up and you'd have to bend her over continuously. Whereas if its a few inches it will still be playable and give a single curve (before it gets too woody). 

Some plants are hard to bend over, others flop over, whereas others snap in two. You really need to play around and figure out what works best for the plant you have. No one can tell you how to get that bend exactly how you like it, you just gotta feel it.

--------------------

OfflineArapala
Stranger

#770717 - 03/02/15 04:25 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Very true thank you good the long detailed reply once again. Hats off to ya buddy

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder