Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Good healthy food?
    #654222 - 01/07/13 07:11 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So.. Part of my New Years resolution is to start eating healthy and teaching myself to cook (more). For a couple months I've been eating nothing that doesn't come out of a box or a microwave, it's either a burrito, a hotpocket, Dijornos or hamburger helper. It isn't balanced in any way, shape or form and I need to completely change my diet... What are some good healthy foods? I have a $200 monthly budget.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledrawde
Re: Good healthy food? [Re: Cage]
    #654233 - 01/07/13 08:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to eat healthy good, as in tasty, food on $200 a month you need to learn to cook.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Good healthy food? [Re: drawde]
    #654235 - 01/07/13 09:02 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

That's the plan, I'll figure it out as I go along, I just need actual ideas on what healthy meals I can try and learn to cook.

InvisibleAlounacara
Born to be banned....
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Spicemaster, Texas
Re: Good healthy food? [Re: drawde]
    #654240 - 01/07/13 09:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
If you want to eat healthy good, as in tasty, food on $200 a month you need to learn to cook.

:highfive:

--------------------
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist office
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name..

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: Good healthy food? [Re: Alounacara]
    #654280 - 01/08/13 07:37 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

go one foodnetwork.com and look at the millions of recipes on there. You can tell by the ingreadents the good and the bad.... hope it works out for ya man!!!

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

InvisibleP-O

Re: Good healthy food? [Re: GBurger717]
    #654298 - 01/08/13 10:23 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

if its advertised on tv, is prob not too healthy...

basically stick to REAL food.  real meats, real veggies.... avoid packaged and food full of preservatives

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Good healthy food? [Re: P-O]
    #654460 - 01/09/13 03:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, that will be a good start.

Basically, what I need is ideas for meals where I can mix in vegetables and other healthy stuff easily. The next thing I'm learning to make is going to be Mongolian grill, I can throw in whatever I want and just lace all the stuff I like with a bunch of vegetables, that way I don't really mind, those are the kinds of recipes I'm looking for.

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: Good healthy food? [Re: Cage]
    #654519 - 01/10/13 12:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

food network's recipes are hit or miss - some of them have been tested a lot more throughly than others (I don't spend enough time there to know which shows are the most reliable but Alton Brown's are nearly always well tested).

Some of my favorite recipe sites:
Vegetarian Times - Especially for healthy, cheap food veggie times is a good place to start (Look at some lentil soups, homemade hummus, curries)

Cooks Illustrated - Some of the recipes are behind a pay-wall but their real strength is in explaining how/why recipes work, not just listing the procedure.

Saveur - a lot of their recipes are regional and gourmet foods but they have a great online archive and it's fairly easy to figure out substitutions after you spend some time cooking (ie when replacing their fresh herb measurements with dried remember to use about 1/3-1/2 as much and make sure the herbs have a chance to re-hydrate).

Some general tips:
when cooking tofu you can shorten the purging process (ordinarily you have to drain it and press out the excess water before cooking or marinating) by freezing it. Also swing by your local health food store (or possibly your grocer's bulk foods section) and get some textured vegetable protein (TVP) - it looks like dog food but once you rehydrate it and throw some spices in it makes a good chili.

homemade stocks are great but they take up fridge space and don't last very long (for safety it's best to bring them to a simmer for ten minutes or so at least every three days because they're excellent food for microbes and other nasties). Instead keep some stock 'base' (a paste-like concentrate you'll find near the bullion cubes in your grocer) on hand. Bullion cubes are nothing but vaguely-flavored salt-licks, don't even bother with them.

I frequently start out the week by making a vat of lentil soup on Sunday night which I can re-warm later in the week and add some freshly sauteed veggies (or ever just a handful of frozen veggies) so I'm not eating the same exact meal for several nights in a row but also save cooking time. You can do the same thing with onion/chicken/etc soups - just start it out with simple flavors so it can be used flexibly.

Learn how to make an omelet - it takes some practice (and, ideally, a good shallow non-stick saute pan in the 8"-10" range) but it's a great quick and easy meal that you can throw leftovers in. You just take a cup-ful of filling, saute it to warm it up and throw your omelet together. :thumbup:

Edited by NizzyJones (01/10/13 12:42 PM)

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Good healthy food? [Re: NizzyJones]
    #654690 - 01/11/13 06:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks man, that's very helpful, I'll definitely check out those sites. :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale