Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Favorite Organic Soil Mix
    #564403 - 06/14/11 02:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've been using Fox Farms Ocean Forest cut with some more perlite, along with the fox farms trio, but I'm curious about switching to a soil that I don't have to add nutrients to and mixing my own. Does anyone make up their own and what is your recipe?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Favorite Organic Soil Mix [Re: smurf_master]
    #564637 - 06/15/11 01:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Your best best may be a soilless mixture.

Don't quote me on that I just know that it gets done with mixtures using materials like these.

Perlite
Vermiculite
Coco
Guano
Worm Castings

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Re: Favorite Organic Soil Mix [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #564649 - 06/15/11 02:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Bone meal and shit also right? Anyone have a good recipe that they've tried and trued.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#564950 - 06/16/11 07:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hillbillybob's soilless mix

hillbillybob's soilless mix

i made this mix using a combination of a base mix i found in a recipe from another site and some added things. the entire thread is at the bottom of this one if you want to check it out. anyways this is what i use and with great success.

(base mix)

peat moss
        worm castings
        perlite
        dolomite lime

i found a soilless mix last year that i tried and had good texture but i didnt like the ratio of nutrients ( lc's soilless mix # 1 ) it called for :

5 parts coco-coir or sphagnum peat moss
        3 parts perlite
        2 parts worm castings
        (1 cup of lime per cubic foot )

to make this base mix you use a 3 quart bowl or saucepan as parts and it equals 1 cubic foot each time you mix the 5 parts, 3 parts and 2 parts. you can add 1 cup of dolomite lime to each cubic foot to make it easy. their were different recipes for fertilizers but the recipe i used recipe # 1 had the wrong ratio of nutrients. i started having deficincies going into flowering using recipe #1 and this was supposed to be a just add water mix all the way to the end. so i decided to make a mix to get me 30 + days into veg which is all i veg for anyways prior to using recipe # 1 , and then just use a complete bloom nute to finish. so this is what i came up with:

3 parts perlite
        2 parts worm castings
        1 cup powdered lime per cubic foot
        4- 41/2 cups epsoma brand PLANT -TONE fertilizer
        1- 2 tbsp of epsoma brand KELP MEAL
        2 tbsp of rooters mycorrhizae
        1- 2 tbsp of azomite ( optional but reccomended )

this is what i use. i mix all the peat, perlite, & castings together using a 3qt saucepan to make it an easy and even cu ft each time, add the powdered stuff. mix very well then water with mollasses water 2 tbsp per gallon using filtered, distilled or water that clorine has been dissolved. cover and let it set for a few weeks with the lid on cracking the lid and stiring now and then and your good. this mix works very well and it will get you 30 days + into veg no problem just water. using this i really dont use any N rich fertilizer at all. just get a good bloom fertilizer and maybe a tea like product like big bloom in case any deficinces or make your own tea, but that would cover you. you can supplement the worm castings with mushroom compost, regular compost , manure will even work but the worm castings would be best. the thing i like most about this mix is that it's well balanced, cheap to make, and available at most home depot or loews stores with the exception of the fungus and azomite which you can order anywhere on the internet.

you can also use this as a seedling / cutting mix:

3 parts perlite
        2 parts worm castings
        (1 cup of lime per cubic foot )
        2 tbsp of rooters mycorrhizae

this is just the base without the ferts. this is great for seedlings and cuttings. i hope this helps you out or helps someone that reads this.

LC'S SOILLESS MIX

LC's Mix is great for any stage of growth. You can germ seeds in it, grow mothers in it, root clones in it as well as veg and flower in it.

LC’s Soiless Mix #1:
        5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
        3 parts perlite
        2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
        Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
        ...Wal-Mart now sells worm castings.

Or, if you use Pro Mix or Sunshine Mix...
        LC's Soiless Mix #2:
        6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up)
        2 parts perlite
        2 parts earthworm castings
        Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
        If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.
        But, a "part" can be anything from a tablespoon to a five gallon bucket. Just use the same item for all of the "parts".

Now for the plants organic food source

Choose one of these organic plant food recipes to add to LC's Soiless Mix.

RECIPE #1
        If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
        Dry Ferts:
        1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
        2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
        1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
        1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.
        Mix all the dry ferts into the soiless mix well and wet it, but don't soak it with Liquid Karma and water @ 1 tbs./gal. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the bone meal and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the Liquid Karma going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too.
        With this recipe, all you need to do is add plain water until harvest.
        When I'm working with seeds, I punch a hole in the bottom of 16 ounce cups and fill them with plain LC's Mix. Lightly wet the mix in the cups and germ one seed in each cup. At the same time I mix enough LC's mix along with the blood/bone/kelp to fill all the 3 gallon flower pots I'm going to use for the grow. After about two weeks, the seedlings and the blood/bone/kelp mix are ready. I transplant the seedlings into the 3 gallon pots and just add water until harvest.
        When you go to flower and pull up the males, save the mix in the pots. It is ready to be used again immediately. Just remove the root ball and transplant another seedling into it.

RECIPE #2
        If you want to use guano in your soil mix...
        Bongaloid's Guano Mix.
        Use all these items combined with one gallon of soil mix.
        1/3C hi N Guano (Mexican Bat Guano)
        1/2C hi P Guano (Jamaican or Indonesian Bat Guano)
        1TBS Jersey Greensand
        1TBS Kelp Meal

RECIPE #3 (My favorite)
        If you want to use guano tea and kelp...

Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nute tea mix-
        Mix 1 cup earthworm castings into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.
        Add 5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses.
        Use it to water your seedlings with every 3rd watering.

Veg mix-
        1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
        1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
        1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
        5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
        (That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)
        Mix with water @ 1 cup of dry mix into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.
        To that 5 gallons of tea add:
        5 tbs. Liquid Karma
        5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
        Use it to water with every 3rd watering.

Flowering nute tea mix:
        2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
        2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
        2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
        5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
        (That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)
        Mix with water @ 2 cups of dry mix into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.
        To that 5 gallons of tea add:
        5 tbs. Liquid Karma
        5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
        Use it to water with EVERY watering.

You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Tell 'em you use them for paint strainers. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it. If you find you are making too much tea and having to throw it out, use 2 1/2 gallons of water and cut the nute amount by half.

RECIPE #4
        Three Little Birds Method
        40 gallons used soil
        4 cups alfalfa meal
        4 cups bone meal
        4 cups kelp meal
        4 cups powdered dolomite lime
        30 pound bag of earthworm castings . . .
        That’s the basic recipe . . .
        However we also like to use
        4 cups of Greensand
        4 cups of Rock Phosphate
        4 cups of diatomaceous earth

RECIPE #5
        Fish and Seaweed (This is sooo easy)

For veg growth…
        1 capful 5-1-1 Fish Emulsion
        1 capful Neptune's Harvest 0-0-1 Seaweed or Maxicrop liquid
        1 gallon H2O

For early flowering…
        1 tbs. Neptune’s Harvest 2-3-1 Fish/Seaweed
        1 gallon H2O

For mid to late flowering…
        1 tbs. Neptune’s Harvest 2-4-1 Fish
        1 gallon H2O

This is just one, i've seen many if you google search and type in the right forum names.

--------------------

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#564970 - 06/16/11 09:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That's my point there are countless recipes, I'm asking which ones people actually use and have experience with.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#565430 - 06/18/11 02:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
That's my point there are countless recipes, I'm asking which ones people actually use and have experience with.

If you were to google I've seen some that show examples of what they have grown in it.

The best recipe I thought I had found that looked really good I did bookmark it, but I lost it.

I would google search rollitup results only, and you should find it on there.

--------------------

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#565431 - 06/18/11 02:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've searched over there and I'm more interested in the opinions of folks on this website, thanks for the advise though.

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #565841 - 06/20/11 12:20 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

To clear something up:

You DO NOT want a soilles mix because that would not contain any nutrients and therefore you would have to add nutrients for plants to grow.

When you add things like bat guano, bone meal, worm castings etc, you are making a SOIL.

Now about your question, I don't really have any experience using organic, home-made soil mixes, but the experience I have with cannabis tells me that each strain will respond differently, either in a dramatic way or more likely a subtle way, to each different mix. So the only way to find out what will work for you is to try starting with one of the more basic recipes and experimenting from there. Really the best way to learn about this shit is to spend lots of time trying different things.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Favorite Organic Soil Mix [Re: Nanook]
    #566014 - 06/20/11 06:30 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nanook said:
You DO NOT want a soilles mix because that would not contain any nutrients and therefore you would have to add nutrients for plants to grow.

Soilless mixture with shit added is still a soilless mixture IMO.

Coco isn't soil, it isn't dirt.

Neither is verm, perlite, or shit.

You do STILL have to add these nutrients.

--------------------

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #567300 - 06/25/11 02:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
Soilless mixture with shit added is still a soilless mixture IMO.

Coco isn't soil, it isn't dirt

Neither is verm, perlite, or shit.

You do STILL have to add these nutrients.

You're right, coco isn't soil, it's a mostly inert substrate ie. a soiless product. Neither is vermiculite or perlite soil, those are soil amendments, things to improve the structure and drainage of a mix yet contain no nutrients.

But I disagree with your first point. Shit, or compost or worm castings or guano, is not soil itself, but when added to a soilless mix they provide nutrients and a microbial population that breaks down the organic matter in the poo so the plant can eat it. Which means that the soil mix is providing nutrients to the plant that don't have to be added to the water you give the plant. This is what makes it soil, even if it has things in it that are, in and of themselves, soilless IMO.

Merriam Webster says:

Definition of SOILLESS
: having, containing, or utilizing no soil <soilless agriculture> <soilless media for starting seeds>

Definition of SOIL
2: something that spoils or pollutes: as a : refuse b : sewage c : dung, excrement
5: a medium in which something takes hold and develops

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast
    #567523 - 06/26/11 12:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah i make my own mix. i agree with above poster on his opinion on soil vs soiless.

for veg i use:

30/peat moss
30/sheep manure
20/vermiculite
20/oyster shells

all i change for flowering is i swap out the sheep manure and peat moss for worm castings and organic black earth (which i grab from the local farm co-op)

Offlinejldawg
Stranger
Male
Re: Favorite Organic Soil Mix [Re: Pernicious]
    #568960 - 07/01/11 11:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've been using Roots Organic's 7 nutrients line up,
buddha grow
buddha bloom
trinity
extreme serene
ancient amber
hp2
hpk
I have had great results growing all organic with this. It's really hard to burn the girls with it. I use soilless mix of perlite  and coco coir. Fertilize every other watering. Finish off for a week or 2 with a teaspoon or 2 per gallon Trinity which has molasses. Flush for a week and taste is really good.

Good as it is, I still am about to try Fox Farms line up on a couple of ladies just to know if it works better for me and my set up. :crazy2:

OfflineParadise
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Favorite Organic Soil Mix [Re: jldawg]
    #571042 - 07/10/11 10:30 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Coco coir/any organic soil promix/worm castings/perlite at 2:2:1:.5 respectively.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #571094 - 07/10/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
I've been using Fox Farms Ocean Forest cut with some more perlite, along with the fox farms trio, but I'm curious about switching to a soil that I don't have to add nutrients to and mixing my own. Does anyone make up their own and what is your recipe?

I mix my own the mix varies quite a bit depending on what I'm growing and how big of plants I'm after. The key to not adding nutrients is using big pots rather than a hot mix in my opinion since hot mixes will lead to nutrient burn and if you have slow release nutrients your plants will just keep burning until the nutrients in the soil are used up which may take a long time. Many organic growers will agree there's no flushing a soil of it's nutrients. What you can do is add enough nutrients to provide your plant with enough nutrients and have the soil depleted within 3 weeks of harvest essentially providing the same benefits as a flush when growing hydro or soilless. Again this is easier to do with larger pots as you will either burn your plants or need to add nutrients when using smaller pots with soil growing.

You can either amend a soil or build one from the ground up I like to build my soil from the ground up using peat or a combination of peat and coco coir, worm castings or compost provides "non burning N" and trace minerals I prefer worm castings here, perlite or pumice (perlite is easier for me to obtain but I'd rather use pumice since it doesn't float), minerals via rock powder (these are your trace elements such as Ca, Mg, Si, etc), amendments to provide adequate NPK (kelp is a good choice as it provides all the K you need and plenty of trace minerals).

I don't really have a lot of guild lines for application rates as it would depend on the size of pots, how hungry/vigorous the plants are, how long they flower, etc.

-approx 1.5-2tbsp per gal of Kelp meal this again provides you with a great deal of minerals and essentially all the K you require
-under 20% compost or worm castings, more and your mix will be very muddy and not have great aeration there's a guy on another forum who grew in 50% azomite (mineral mix) and 50% compost/worm castings and didn't get any burning however the root growth was slow since the mix was so dense.
-beyond the kelp I add a cup or two of mineral mix per 5 gals to mix my the minerals vary depending on what I have available to me
-also added is a Nitrogen source which often times doubles or triples as a Phosphorus or Potassium source, many people use Blood meal for Nitrogen and Blood meal for Phosphorus I prefer to use Alfalfa meal as my Nitrogen supplement this can be applied at as much as 2tbsp/gal but can burn and is slowly released so once it starts burning your plants you're in trouble. Fish bone meal or Rock Phosphate can be used instead of Bone meal. Application rates vary, I don't believe Phosphorus is really needed in abundance so I don't apply it in abundance.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale