Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #265868 - 08/15/09 10:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I currently have alot of fish tanks and many of which are planted tanks.

I used to use "Prime" water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine but once I purchased a R/O D/E filter I noticed extreme changes that contributed in way better plants.

I'm not really sure but I think it's because the most peoples tap water is around 7-8 pH, but once through a good 6 stage filter it contains 0ppm and has a stable pH of around 6-6.5. I believe its the pH that causes the better growth in the plants.

I don't know how well this will translate in the ganja world but it might be something to think about.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #297202 - 10/14/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What about ZooMed Water Conditioner?

Ingredients: Water, Dechloraminating Agent, Synthetic Organic Polymers (Colloids), Chelating Agent, Electrolytes.

2 drops to 8 oz of water.  Used to condition Hermit Crab water and other pet water etc.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: Azyle00]
    #297215 - 10/14/09 05:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Dechloraminating agent..... that basically means sodium

Sodium and Chlorine bond creating table salt, not good for treating water for plant use.

Bubble the chlorine out or use an RO filter.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlinethe man

Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: captain.koons]
    #308112 - 11/02/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

if thats how it works the salt created would be nothing compared to TDS already in the water including many and mostly salts. i mean they use ALUM in water treatment. UV does not get rid of chlorine it just evaporates out thats why you leave it in the warm sun :smile:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: the man]
    #310696 - 11/05/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I like you organic guys. Your silly. :omgawesome:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: Magash]
    #310719 - 11/05/09 09:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Damn you Magash! Let us keep our illusions!

Seriously though, for new growers, organics are a great way to start learning while having a nice buffer.

Also, for experienced growers, systems like the Rev's TLO grows are a new challenge, and give some phenomenal results in terms of quality AND yield.
I'd challenge any noob with a hydro system to beat my yields in a TLO grow.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: 81renaissance]
    #310856 - 11/05/09 11:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey I'm with ya like we said in some other post. I think organics are the way to go for noobs. Now as far as yields organics can be right there with hydro. A plant grown at it's max potential is gonna be killer no mater how it was grown.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #310916 - 11/06/09 02:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Oh by the way:

Quote:

Magash said:
I like you organic guys. Your silly. :omgawesome:

:andyistic:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinethe man

#332106 - 12/16/09 12:23 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i just feel it out i guess have been lucky as far as PH and stuff, or hardy plants. maybe never get what i could potentially i guess aswell. i do it as an art or just feel it out really cant go wrong. anyway

very ruffly and depends on how the soil looks to begin with. peat content etc. for many years of tomatoes anyway
organic or not soil maybe 50-60%
peat moss                  20%
manure compost & other composts 20%
few handfulls each of perlite, verm ,blood meal, bone meal, little less epsom salts. seems the bonemeal is enough to buffer the acidic peat and manure compost.

anyway for used soil maybe mix 50% to new stuff. again depends about how the old stuff looks.

water fert mix every 7-10 waters with bit of molasses, couple teaspoon epsom salt, maybe bit of bloodmeal. in between the fert water a couple times with a hydrogen pyroxide and water teaspoon per couple litres. Can get away with just plain water the whole time, all nutes are built in as long as your pots are of good size. Ive never really seen much of a difference in tomatoes, but i just feel that adding more minerals especially, give that extra nutrient kick for ME! or things you just dont get from ponics.

like i said just depends on how it looks, for me. but never grown anything overly sensitive. squeeze when wet and still gets airy easy. rich dark color with large organics aka peat and stuff from compost.enough perlite to give drainage and O2.

i am sure similar mixes have been documented in better detail. maybe this just says you dont have to be so uptight about growing stuff.

peace

OfflineCFLbc
 User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia
    #471980 - 09/04/10 03:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:

Chlorine tap water

Just a word of caution for you organic heads out there...
If you are tapped onto a municipal water supply that uses chlorine to kill bacteria in the water, it'll do the same thing to the bacteria (microherd) in your organic food source.
Always bubble your municipal water in an open container (5 gallon bucket) for 24 hours before adding ANYTHING organic to it.

Can i boil water from the tap and will that get rid of chlorine?

Edited by CFLbc (09/04/10 03:58 AM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: CFLbc]
    #473011 - 09/06/10 10:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

get an air stone and bubble the water for 24 hours to remove the Cl, the major issue these days is added Chloramine, which is not removed by boiling or bubbling, you actually need a filter (R/O preferably) to remove that shit.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: 81renaissance]
    #473157 - 09/06/10 03:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Little fact. Take a glass of tap water and test it for Chlorine then stick your finger in it for about 5 seconds and test it again. Now the test will show no chlorine.

Now myself I find organics a huge waste of time. I've never met anybody that can tell the difference between organic and chem weed. I decided that after years of growing organically to do some tests and here is a copy of the post I did on it.

Quote:

Ok, I have been growing since the mid 80’s and the entire time I’ve heard how organic bud is better tasting and such. I always felt that this was true just cause when you listen to why it is suppose to be better then buds grown with synthetics or chemical nutrients it seems to make sense. Then I saw this show called bullshit with Penn and Teller and the subject was organic food. I saw the test that they did and I just had to do em with buds.
Well the test was done at 3 different clubs and with a group of growers in Mendocino County. The strain used was Granddaddy Purple.
People were allowed to try free samples of organic grown and buds grown with General Hydroponics nutrients. Flora Nova and Kool Blooms.
Now the samples
2 plates of buds with labels showing but the buds switched. Organic buds in the hydro plate and hydro buds in the organic plate. 2 plates with no labels and the buds were in the right plate. Then for fun (he he he ) two sets of plates one with organic buds in both plates and one with hydro buds in both plates.

The results.
Buds in the right plate but no labels showing  73% of people picked the hydro buds as better tasting and smoking buds.

Buds in the plates with the labels showing but with the buds switched 87% picked the organic side with the hydro buds in the plate. (Even so far as going and saying they can taste the soil then getting very pissed when shown the bud they picked)

Then the same buds divided into two and put into labeled plates. So what I mean here is buds from the same plant put into two plates with different labels to see if anybody would notice. In both sets of plates 87% of people again picked the Organic as better tasting in both sets even though it was the same bud divided into two plates. I heard comments on how the organic tasted “earthy, cleaner, less salty, and one who insisted that the organic buds burnt better then got pissed when told he picked hydro in every instance.

The only people who picked right were people who didn't care if grown organic or grown with raid ant killer as long as they got a free sample.

Both sets of buds were flushed for one week before harvesting.

Conclusion is that properly grown hydro buds seems to be as good in every way as organic buds.

--------------------

OfflineDankenstein
    #478741 - 09/17/10 06:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Little fact. Take a glass of tap water and test it for Chlorine then stick your finger in it for about 5 seconds and test it again. Now the test will show no chlorine.

Now myself I find organics a huge waste of time. I've never met anybody that can tell the difference between organic and chem weed. I decided that after years of growing organically to do some tests and here is a copy of the post I did on it.

Quote:

Ok, I have been growing since the mid 80’s and the entire time I’ve heard how organic bud is better tasting and such. I always felt that this was true just cause when you listen to why it is suppose to be better then buds grown with synthetics or chemical nutrients it seems to make sense. Then I saw this show called bullshit with Penn and Teller and the subject was organic food. I saw the test that they did and I just had to do em with buds.
Well the test was done at 3 different clubs and with a group of growers in Mendocino County. The strain used was Granddaddy Purple.
People were allowed to try free samples of organic grown and buds grown with General Hydroponics nutrients. Flora Nova and Kool Blooms.
Now the samples
2 plates of buds with labels showing but the buds switched. Organic buds in the hydro plate and hydro buds in the organic plate. 2 plates with no labels and the buds were in the right plate. Then for fun (he he he ) two sets of plates one with organic buds in both plates and one with hydro buds in both plates.

The results.
Buds in the right plate but no labels showing  73% of people picked the hydro buds as better tasting and smoking buds.

Buds in the plates with the labels showing but with the buds switched 87% picked the organic side with the hydro buds in the plate. (Even so far as going and saying they can taste the soil then getting very pissed when shown the bud they picked)

Then the same buds divided into two and put into labeled plates. So what I mean here is buds from the same plant put into two plates with different labels to see if anybody would notice. In both sets of plates 87% of people again picked the Organic as better tasting in both sets even though it was the same bud divided into two plates. I heard comments on how the organic tasted “earthy, cleaner, less salty, and one who insisted that the organic buds burnt better then got pissed when told he picked hydro in every instance.

The only people who picked right were people who didn't care if grown organic or grown with raid ant killer as long as they got a free sample.

Conclusion is that properly grown hydro buds seems to be as good in every way as organic buds.

Sounds completely besides the point of organic growing.

Offlineimpgl

Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: Dankenstein]
    #479029 - 09/18/10 11:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

depends on your reasons for going organic

--------------------

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
    #534514 - 03/08/11 03:22 AM (13 years, 14 days ago)

I'm not trying to make a debate between soil and soiless; but I'm not seeing the fundamental difference. Just because you put coco, peat, verm and compost in a pot doesn't mean that isn't soil. Composts themselves are soil, at least the nutrient layer that is decomposed into soil.

Soil itself is a highly complex range of everything from fungi, worms, actual dirt, bacteria, decomposing plant materials, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Soiless is a silly term.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Organics for Beginners *DELETED* [Re: BigBudz]
    #534574 - 03/08/11 08:43 AM (13 years, 14 days ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: k

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #534648 - 03/08/11 12:35 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

Peat has nutrients, it's decayed plant matter. It also rapidly decays throughout the growth of the plant. If you've ever grown in peat you probably notice 1/3 less peat in your pots by the end of your grow and it's also far more dense.

Coco coir has nutrients also but the coco breaks down over the course of years so it's not very available to plants.

On the subject of de-chlorination chlorine can/should be neutralized quickly by the addition of some soil or molasses to your water if you don't want to wait to bubble the chlorine out.

Offlinemikedupree22
Stranger
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: Sirius]
    #688648 - 10/10/13 05:49 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by hawksapprentice (10/31/13 04:15 AM)

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: Organics for Beginners [Re: mikedupree22]
    #691198 - 10/30/13 08:27 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Now spam?

Cmonnnnn

--------------------

OfflineCannablissthecat
Weedwacker
Male

#731315 - 05/13/14 08:59 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

Quote:

Now the samples

The results.

That is based on a "taste" study. Monsanto food is going to taste relatively similar to organic food, but organic food in the end is going to be healthier for you. I figure the same would apply to cannabis growing and consuming.

So everyone is speaking of distilled and RO water, (I might use distilled water, but not RO water) what is your take on natural spring water?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate