Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
What is your soil mix?
    #485265 - 10/05/10 12:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hello folks,

What soil mixes do you all use? Being primarily an outdoor grower I often add amendments to my outdoor areas such as a bag of ProMix, worm poop, compost, lime, nothing too amazing.

I've been playing around with different soil mixes lately most notably trying to amend coco to use as a soil base.

I've recently come across Subcool's Supersoil mix and it's quite notoriously used by many successful growers around the world. It calls for 12 cubic feet of soil as the base which would cost about $80(assuming $10 per 1.5 cubic foot, it turns out buying ProMix or Sunshine Mix @ $29 per 3.8cu costs a bit more than the soil.

This is the SuperSoil mix:

-8 bags (1.5cu ft ea) Quality potting soil (Such as roots organic)
- 30-50 lbs worm castings
- 5lb steamed bone meal or fish bone meal
- 5lbs Bloom bat guano
- 5 lbs blood meal
- 3 lbds rock phosphate
- 1 cup epson salts/langbienite
- 1/2 cup sweet (dolomite) lime
- 1/2 cup azomite
- 2 tbsp powdered humic acid

I'm debating about if this soil needs added sand and if I want to use mycorrhizae. This is a water only, no feed, no worry soil. I'm debating if all these ingredients are worth the no hassle water only methods or if I'll stick to fertilizing a less hot soil, which I suspect would grow plants quicker as it would have more perlite/filler.

Bounce some ideas around, post your soil mixes, post your experiences with hot soils, whatever you wish!

Cheers,
MA3087

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetrichome
THC
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is your soil mix? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #485329 - 10/05/10 07:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Just starting out so I'm limited in supplies, but I've been using a store bought organic potting soil that has been working very well for seedlings through flower.  Put my first clones in straight coir, second cuttings in perlite & coir.  I plan on using Ocean Forest potting soil for veg and flower, and perlite & coir for clones until I can build an aerocloner (water mist thingy) or a dwc style cloner.

I have a 4 pot DWC from a friend (I've never tried hydro) that I plan on trying soon.  I have plenty of airstones and pumps for another DWC tub, thinking of making a 6 plant dwc.

So many things to do and so little time!

--------------------
:baggy::arabs::baggy:

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is your soil mix? [Re: trichome]
    #485749 - 10/07/10 01:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

what do you feed your plants in soil?

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
Re: What is your soil mix? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #489205 - 10/18/10 04:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

well. i'm on my first grow
and just today i put my soon to be seedling in a small plastic cup of some soil a friend is using. i think he said it's got some fertilizer in it or something but no chemical shit as in too much nutrients of chemicals in grl

which sounds good to me

so that's what i'm using to sprout her, in a little bag to maintain humidity.

i admit i put her in before checking or adjusting the pH of the soil.. if i were to buy soil+plant food+pH indicator/adjusting necesities when i go buy my light this weekend, and work out a mix for vegetative growth that has a pH close(r) to 6.5-7, would it be better to transplant the seedling from the cup or just place the cup in the pot and break it along the side in a hole in the new soil?

i dont know how to go about this, mainly because i dont know if you can mix the soils like that, especially given a pH change even if it's small
pH wont change after that though, so it's a small stunt to it's growth at best right? making a small jump from one pH soil to a more apt one?

anyway, will be throwing some leaves in there for some N, and buying plant food with the other stuff. that's gonna be my rather primitive soil mix-and-cup-to-pot intraplant/transplant.

EDIT: uhoh, i think i took my seed-doner's advice and put it like an inch under the moist soil, before putting it all in a bag in my room at a T of about 21C. taproot up (about an hour and a half ago)

any big mistakes here? i think the seed might benefit from a little more proximity with the surface.. i just read it should only be about 5mm under (about the size of the seed) so i'm freaking out a bit

should i change that now?

Edited by lifemaker (10/18/10 04:24 PM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: What is your soil mix? [Re: lifemaker]
    #489277 - 10/18/10 09:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I thought that was a joke at 1st.

To answer your question. Yes

Also ready more.

Tap root up :rofl2:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: What is your soil mix? [Re: KaptKid]
    #489289 - 10/18/10 10:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ive been reading about subcools mix i think next round ill mix up a batch for indoor im already a huge roots organics fan anyway ..And i was in my hydro shop today fucking promix is so high its scary there. Im hoping they will start carrying the humboldt mix from humboldt nutrients soon..

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: What is your soil mix? [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #489394 - 10/19/10 07:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MR.HEADY said:
And i was in my hydro shop today fucking promix is so high its scary there.

I would check your local garden center.  From general experience, they seem to sell such items at a significantly lower price than most hydro stores.  And being that it's the end of the growing season, i assume most would be trying to move it by either marking down the price, or having it openly on sale

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is your soil mix? [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #489543 - 10/19/10 07:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

$29 for a 3.8cu ft bale here. I haven't checked the cost of quality soil but I'd assume it's around $10 or so for 1.5cu. I'd like to figure out a good mix to add to one bale of ProMix for ease. I miss Breeder Steve's mix.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates