Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Abusing Children in the Name of God
    #482042 - 09/25/10 09:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Abusing Children in the Name of God

Quote:

A hemophilic boy in Pennsylvania bleeds to death over a period of two days from a small cut on his foot. An Indiana girl dies after a malignant tumor sprouts from her skull and grows so enormous that it’s nearly the size of her head. A boy in Massachusetts succumbs to a bowel obstruction. (His cries of pain are so loud that neighbors are forced to shut their windows to block out the sound.)

None of these children benefit from the readily-available medical treatments that might save their lives, or at least mitigate their suffering. Because the tenets of their parents’ religious faiths mandate it, their ailments are treated by prayer rather than medical science. The results are tragic.

It is difficult to determine precisely how many children in the United States lose their lives every year as the result of the phenomenon that has come to be known as religion-based medical neglect. A landmark study published in the journal Pediatrics uncovered more than 150 reported fatalities over a 10-year period – a tally that one of the study’s authors later said represented only “the tip of the iceberg” of a surprisingly pervasive problem. Assessing whether forms of religion-related child abuse pose a greater risk to children than more widely publicized threats, such as ritual satanic abuse, a wide-ranging study funded by the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect concluded that 'there are actually more children being abused in the name of God than in the name of Satan

Since the late nineteenth century, hundreds of such instances of abuse have resulted in tangled criminal litigation. The parents charged in these cases – many of them Christian Scientists or members of small Christian churches that ground their doctrines in narrowly literal interpretations of the Bible – often have argued that the First Amendment safeguards their decision to adhere to their faiths’ religious traditions and treat their ailing children solely by spiritual means. Prosecutors, meanwhile, have balked at the notion that constitutional protections for religious liberty provide an absolute bar to state regulation of religious conduct, particularly when that behavior puts the safety of children at risk. Their task often has been complicated, however, by murky state manslaughter and abuse statutes that appear to provide exemptions for religious healing practices.

Arguing that they were “Christians first, citizens afterward,” a prominent Christian spiritual healer once urged his followers to disregard secular laws that might compel them to forsake their religious beliefs regarding healing. Such is the dilemma that confronts parents who choose to treat their sick or injured children with prayer instead of medicine. Not only must they safeguard the health of their sons and daughters; they also must try to reconcile their devotion to God with their duties as citizens in a society that boasts a long and sometimes checkered history of regulating uncommon religious conduct.

Defining these obligations through the enforcement of secular laws – especially ones that are constitutionally fuzzy – can be a complicated business. Moreover, there is no guarantee that it will deter devout and stubborn parents from engaging in religious practices that endanger the health of their children. But the alternative – simply ignoring the suffering of the youngest and most vulnerable members of our nation’s churches – seems unconscionable.

Its time to abolish all religions!!!!

Religion is the primary cause of suffering in the world today.

Religion has been used to create an 'us vs. them' mentality that those in power can (and do) use.

America is the one place on Earth you can come to and live ones life as a free human. Your race/religion/gender, is not supposed to be an issue here. 'The Land of the Free' is supposed to welcome those that are different, its our primary strength. Sadly, it's also our primary weakness.

With such a variety of cultures intermingling, one would think that we would be a more tolerant nation, but that has become quite the opposite recently. Its obvious to me that those in power have used religion (once again) as a tool to convince the public to do immoral things.

Since its at the core of virtually every conflict in history.
The best thing to do in my honest opinion is to abolish religion.

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: niteowl]
    #482051 - 09/25/10 10:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

While i agree with you for the most part.  I don't think that anyone lives 'as a free human' in America.  They sure do like to tell us we have the best democracy in the world though.  Yet they vehemently lock us up for putting something in our bodies.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #482060 - 09/25/10 10:46 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Most people here live the way they want, regardless of the drug laws.
Smart people avoid the attention needed to get caught :shrug:

Im not claiming that America humanity is perfect....
just that we have the potential to be so much better
once we stop fighting over whose invisible sky fairy is best

Leaders want you to believe in some religion, it makes you easier to control.

If the majority of the voters still believes in Santa...
then they have a heard of gullible fools to lead any way they want

Why do you think religion and politics have been such close bed-mates for so long?

Divide and Conquer ... its the name of the game ... always has been
and religion is the perfect tool for division/separation/control

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#482067 - 09/25/10 11:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Its time to abolish all religions!!!!

do you really think the issue here is religion?  Pol Pot and Stalin were not religious, in anyway

Quote:

Religion has been used to create an 'us vs. them' mentality that those in power can (and do) use.

Did you ever consider this territorial instinct, which is pretty common in the animal kingdom, is something hardwired into our brain, and is so common because the fact that resources are finite?

Quote:

Since its at the core of virtually every conflict in history.
The best thing to do in my honest opinion is to abolish religion.

Is it? Take the Israel Palestine conflict:  Most people see it as a religious, in nature.  But Zionism was something that came from a clearly secular background and looked to wrestle control of the area away from the Arabs, no matter if they were christian or muslim.

Edited by kyuzo (09/25/10 12:01 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: kyuzo]
    #482076 - 09/25/10 11:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, we have a ways to go.  To what extent should the west tolerate an entire society of abuse, when that society is structured on their religious beliefs?  We are evolving into a one world government.  I really think that is an inevitability for any planet bound civilization.  Its just the order of things.  I also think that, eventually, religion will be a thing of the past.  Not in our lifetimes though.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDRAGON
Doors of Perception
Male

Loc: Somewhere in the Universe
Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #482108 - 09/25/10 01:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well if it wasn't for a lot of the douchbags that were put in power during the early part of the 20th century. Then a lot of the issues that we currently have today, wouldn't even be an issue. Harry J Anslinger is one of those douchbags I speak of. :kingcrankey: And I also Honestly believe that we're still suffering from the consequences of JFK's untimely death. Organized religion is in the front of all the bs though.

--------------------
"I know that I know nothing"

Edited by DRAGON (09/25/10 01:25 PM)

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Loc: Hindu Kush Mountains
    #508923 - 12/26/10 11:41 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
(His cries of pain are so loud that neighbors are forced to shut their windows to block out the sound.)

Why the fuck would you not call the police.....

It's not just religion but ignorance as well.

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: Shr0000ooooms]
    #508924 - 12/26/10 11:46 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Just like us drug users, religion followers get the shit end of the stick in the media. For every extremist asshole out there abusing a child theres another dude who quietly prays at night and hands out food to homeless people at his church on the weekend.

For every asshole drug dealer faggot out there who fills some kid full of lead on accident over a half O of greenery, theres a dude kicking back with his sack of weed after work to chill the fuck out and go to sleep.

I know they are completely different things, but you gotta think of all the people who believe in God and attend church because it makes them feel good about themselves. Like anything else, you only hear about the fucking crazy people, not the normal ones.

(for the record, I don't associate myself with religion or church, I just calls em how I sees em.)

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: Shr0000ooooms]
    #508925 - 12/26/10 11:50 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah I think it would be quite ignorant to assume religion is the true fault of all this.  Ignorance is the real culprit.  But then as previously mentioned, there are wicked people who are neither ignorant nor religious. 

Ultimately you can look at our conflicts at, for the most part, a genetic level.  We strive for the survival of not only our genes but those most similar.  At least it's one of the many theories I agree with on most points.

Either way it's ignorant to think religion is the sole cause, and that we would somehow be rid of these tragedies without it.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (12/26/10 11:51 AM)

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: RasJeph]
    #508935 - 12/26/10 12:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
Just like us drug users, religion followers get the shit end of the stick in the media. For every extremist asshole out there abusing a child theres another dude who quietly prays at night and hands out food to homeless people at his church on the weekend.

For every asshole drug dealer faggot out there who fills some kid full of lead on accident over a half O of greenery, theres a dude kicking back with his sack of weed after work to chill the fuck out and go to sleep.

I know they are completely different things, but you gotta think of all the people who believe in God and attend church because it makes them feel good about themselves. Like anything else, you only hear about the fucking crazy people, not the normal ones.

(for the record, I don't associate myself with religion or church, I just calls em how I sees em.)

I agree completely.

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Loc: Hindu Kush Mountains
Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: BlueBerry_Swisher]
    #508938 - 12/26/10 02:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Anyways, wouldn't it be better that they're dying off? Cuz I mean once all them die then this shit won't happen anymore.

They'd just grow up to imitate their parents and let their children die as well.

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#508952 - 12/26/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

A family in my neighborhood is Jehovah Witness.  They have issues with certain medical procedures.  A couple of years ago one of the boys (now adults) was ran over by a car and had his skull crushed.  Neither of the boys support the religion, but the parents showed up at the hospital and told the doctors not to treat the son or give him the blood transfusions he needed.  They threatened lawsuits and said that's what their son would want. 

The doctors, thankfully, ignored the parents and gave the blood and proper surgeries.  He can function normally today but he refuses to talk to his parents.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisibledrawde

Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #508953 - 12/26/10 03:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

:nonono:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#508954 - 12/26/10 03:15 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
Most people here live the way they want, regardless of the drug laws.
Smart people avoid the attention needed to get caught :shrug:

Im not claiming that America humanity is perfect....
just that we have the potential to be so much better
once we stop fighting over whose invisible sky fairy is best

Leaders want you to believe in some religion, it makes you easier to control.

If the majority of the voters still believes in Santa...
then they have a heard of gullible fools to lead any way they want

Why do you think religion and politics have been such close bed-mates for so long?

Divide and Conquer ... its the name of the game ... always has been
and religion is the perfect tool for division/separation/control

Yep.  I was just reading last night about how Hitler used the nationalistic and much loved Potsdam Garrison Church for his March 21st, 1933 reconciliation with Hindenberg.  Hindenberg was hugely supported by the German people and Hitler needed a backdrop of something irrationally connected to the peoples' minds (church).  Two days later Hitler and the Nazi party had the documents completed that would allow them to put on trial any political dissidents without due process, in military style courts.  For years after his overthrow of Hindenberg, and any surviving democratic processes, Hitler had the Garrison Church stamped on the back of the 5mark coin. 

Hitler had a long history of coercing or forcing religion to support his ideals so that he could justify the abuse of whomever he wanted.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #508957 - 12/26/10 03:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well, if anything, we should be appreciative that these people are now punished by the law, rather than protected like they used to be. Think about the Salem witch trials :facepalm:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Loc: Neither here nor there
    #508981 - 12/26/10 06:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

there are no words I can say to describe the ignorance of this, praying for the power of god to heal them, if they were so faithful god wouldnt have afflicted their family in the first place. But as I like to believe the power of human knowledge and the Good things we do with it is only helped along by god, hes not gonna do everything for us unless he absolutely has to.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: Big_tiggy]
    #509000 - 12/26/10 07:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Big_tiggy said:
there are no words I can say to describe the ignorance of this, praying for the power of god to heal them, if they were so faithful god wouldn't have afflicted their family in the first place. But as I like to believe the power of human knowledge and the Good things we do with it is only helped along by god, hes not gonna do everything for us unless he absolutely has to.

:dudewtf:

I'm guessing that you believe that God will punish you if you're not 'faithful enough'

......and if you ARE faithful enough then he will help you with no prayer needed

:awewtf:

Dude........you're just as fucked in the head as they are :awedisgust:

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

Offlineauronlives69
Stranger
 User Gallery

#509001 - 12/26/10 08:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

as an athist i can tell you that abolishing anything is never a good thing, do i need to remind you of the futile war on drugs, as for "you and them" this happens with just about anything, sports, nations, democrats/repulicans, blacks/whites, gays/straighs rich/poor male/female, crips/bloods, the problem isnt religion, the problem is ignorance and or the want for power/control

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Loc: Neither here nor there
    #509010 - 12/26/10 09:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

haha sorry let me explain myself if you were in their shoes according to their laws their child should have never been affilcted in the first place because obviously they are extreme christians, and follow the bible to the 'T'.

my belief on the other hand is that god gave us everything we have in the beggining and its up to us to make of it what we will with a little help of course meaning if my child was sick you're goddamn right i would seek medical attention. Like a symbiosis between men and god. We  help him he helps us

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Abusing Children in the Name of God [Re: Big_tiggy]
    #509011 - 12/26/10 09:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Big_tiggy said:
if they were so faithful god wouldnt have afflicted their family in the first place

That is a perfect example of a head-up-the-ass religious statement.  Basically you just said that your god makes kids suffer for the things he doesn't like about their parents.  I shouldn't, and I won't, need to point out why that is incredibly dumb.

I have seen a fair share of poorly thought out shit on the growery, but this takes the cake.  I hope you have not, and will not, produce offspring. 

Maybe your god will take a liking to the way you talk and quickly summon you to be with it.  Keep your fingers crossed!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale