Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: any of you beleive in god? [Re: volcomstoner]
    #457601 - 08/10/10 10:02 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

volcomstoner said:
I do not beleive in god.:awehigh:

that statement makes me laugh with that smiley. idk why though :awehigh:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevolcomstoner
Just one more xanax
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaybec
Re: any of you beleive in god? [Re: iStoner]
    #457617 - 08/10/10 10:14 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hahaha, it's my favorite smiley.

--------------------

Vas donc jouer dans le traffic

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: any of you beleive in god? [Re: volcomstoner]
    #457659 - 08/10/10 12:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

NO.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: any of you beleive in god? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #457661 - 08/10/10 12:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

iStoner said:
i know not all of em are like this buuut, today i said somthing about evolution and somone was like
you know thats just a theory, god created us.
its not i go around tellingg em gods just a theory too
:feelsbadman:

The only people who use that as a legitimate argument are people with very very little education who haven't the slightest idea what theory means in terms of science. Gravity is just a theory. Heliocentrism is just a theory. Something being a theory in no way reduces it's legitimacy as a scientific claim, and even more importantly, none of those things dictate the absence of God.  I don't understand how the fundamentalists can think that Evolution instantly means that God isn't real....

Was going to say that but it's good to see you beat me to it.  People don't understand the definition of theory within the scientific community, or what it takes to get to that status.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: any of you beleive in god? [Re: THEBats]
    #457673 - 08/10/10 01:02 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I knew this thread was gonna explode

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #457689 - 08/10/10 01:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

iStoner said:
i know not all of em are like this buuut, today i said somthing about evolution and somone was like

The only people who use that as a legitimate argument are people with very very little education who haven't the slightest idea what theory means in terms of science. Gravity is just a theory. Heliocentrism is just a theory. Something being a theory in no way reduces it's legitimacy as a scientific claim, and even more importantly, none of those things dictate the absence of God.  I don't understand how the fundamentalists can think that Evolution instantly means that God isn't real....

I cant say that all of this is true, Gravity isnt just a theory since it can be duplicated over and over again. I would say that it is pretty much fact (thats why its called the law of gravity not the theory of gravity). Evolution is harder to prove (although I think it's real).

Religion sometimes does blind people though, and it seems like people who are overly religious are more closed minded. So I do agree with you on that.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: Mr. Kite]
    #457694 - 08/10/10 01:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Kite said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

iStoner said:

I cant say that all of this is true, Gravity isnt just a theory since it can be duplicated over and over again. I would say that it is pretty much fact (thats why its called the law of gravity not the theory of gravity). Evolution is harder to prove (although I think it's real).

Religion sometimes does blind people though, and it seems like people who are overly religious are more closed minded. So I do agree with you on that.

Gravity is a theory, you're just misinterpreting what the word "theory" means in science.  Just because something can be duplicated over and over does not make it fact in the scientific community. 

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (08/10/10 01:30 PM)

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: THEBats]
    #457697 - 08/10/10 01:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Gravity is scientific law not a theory. There is a difference, I shall post the information soon. Off to google.

--------------------

InvisibleDeadHearts

Loc: ▐▐▐▐▐
Re: any of you beleive in god? [Re: THEBats]
    #457698 - 08/10/10 01:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I do not believe that jesus or any of the others are our god
and savior but I do believe in a divine creator or creator
consciousness. But I also believe we can be our own gods.
Literally and figuratively.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #457701 - 08/10/10 01:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

Mr. Kite said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

iStoner said:

Gravity is a theory, you're just misinterpreting what the word "theory" means in science.  Just because something can be duplicated over and over does not make it fact in the scientific community. 

Exactly. Also, I'd like to point out that there have been cases where gravity has NOT proven applicable. Such as the acceleration of universal expansion, or the cohesion of our galaxy. If you research into those you'll find that gravity doesn't hold universally constant.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #457706 - 08/10/10 01:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

On our planet gravity is a law not a theroy, I wasnt talking about space.

It is a law on our planet because it cant be un-proven.

Here is kind of a cool site explaining what I cannot.

http://amasci.com/miscon/myths10.html

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#457707 - 08/10/10 01:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Kite said:
Gravity is scientific law not a theory. There is a difference, I shall post the information soon. Off to google.

The theory of Gravity will always be a theory until we understand how gravity works.

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#457708 - 08/10/10 01:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Kite said:

I'll let you take this one harry, as it's not exactly my field of expertise.  I'm a psychologist.  I'd like to point out though, or at least from my understanding, that Newton's law of universal gravitation is meant to encompass not just earth, but the planetary orbits as well.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (08/10/10 01:40 PM)

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: niteowl]
    #457710 - 08/10/10 01:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
Quote:

Mr. Kite said:

The theory of Gravity will always be a theory until we understand how gravity works.

No if we understand how gravity works, then it becomes a fact not a law.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#457711 - 08/10/10 01:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You are wrong on so many levels :sorry:

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineDieCommie

Loc: West of the Wall
    #457713 - 08/10/10 01:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ill throw my 2 cents in,

There is a theory of gravity and there is a fact of gravity.  The fact is the observation, we observe things with mass attracting each other so that is the fact.  The theory is that this happens everywhere (its universal) and it happens in a very specific way (described by mathematics).  In this sense a theory is a bigger deal than a fact.  It takes many, many fact to make a theory (in science). 

Another example is the theory that the earth is round (sphere like).  Yes, in science this is a theory - a theory developed to explain the facts.  Facts like the stars changing with latitude, eclipse has a circular shadow, the Foucault pendulum precesses, and pictures of the earth show it to have a circular cross section.  All of these facts come together to build up the theory that the earth is sphere like.  You can see here how the theory is a bigger deal than the facts.  And its not just a theory that the earth is sphere like - its a scientific theory which means its solidly supported by a host of facts.

Evolution by natural selection is the same way.  Evolution is a fact, we observe species changing over generations.  Biodiversity is also a fact, we observe many different species.  There are many other biochemical facts we observe as well.  Put all these fact together and you can build up the theory that evolution and biodiversity are a product of natural selection.  Natural selection is not just a theory, its a scientific theory which means its solidly supported by a host of facts.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#457715 - 08/10/10 01:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Kite said:
Quote:

niteowl said:
Quote:

Mr. Kite said:

Science doesn't work that way.  It only takes one piece of information to change the way in which we think, interpret gravity as we know it today.  In science we have theories due to this potential of change.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (08/10/10 01:46 PM)

OfflineDieCommie

Loc: West of the Wall
    #457721 - 08/10/10 01:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Calling things 'laws' in science is really just an historical throwback to when scientific inquiry wasn't as formalized and developed as it is today.  Its really a misnomer to call it a law, as you say calling it a law presupposes that it is correct and no further inquiry is required (which is of course not a scientific way to view things).  But unfortunately we are stuck with certain explanations being labeled as laws, and it confuses non-scientists.  :shrug:

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: niteowl]
    #457726 - 08/10/10 01:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
You are wrong on so many levels :sorry:

Good arguement.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

#457737 - 08/10/10 01:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

Mr. Kite said:
Quote:

niteowl said:
Quote:

Mr. Kite said:

Science doesn't work that way.  It only takes one piece of information to change the way in which we think, interpret gravity as we know it today.  In science we have theories due to this potential of change.

Alright I'll bite on this one. Thanks for explaining it in a way I can understand. I guess I always grew up thinking gravity was a law :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order