Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHerbal

UPDATED 5-14! (new 250w HPS/MH) : First Flowers - Indica bagseed *DELETED*
    #404474 - 04/21/10 12:45 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by Herbal

Reason for deletion: old

Edited by Herbal (05/29/10 03:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHerbal

Re: First plants (2) : Germinated 3-15-10, under 104 cfl watts, 4" jiffy pots etc. *DELETED* [Re: Herbal]
    #404476 - 04/21/10 12:49 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by Herbal

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First plants (2) : Germinated 3-15-10, under 104 cfl watts, 4" jiffy pots etc. [Re: Herbal]
    #404501 - 04/21/10 05:42 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The wrinkling is natural. Some strains have deeper folds on the leaf ridges than others. They look real nice! It's nice to see a noob get a great start on your first plants. Keep it up! :awesomenod:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First plants (2) : Germinated 3-15-10, under 104 cfl watts, 4" jiffy pots etc. [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #404541 - 04/21/10 08:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
The wrinkling is natural. Some strains have deeper folds on the leaf ridges than others. They look real nice! It's nice to see a noob get a great start on your first plants. Keep it up! :awesomenod:

Yeah they look textbook so far just keep on keeping on. Nice touch for your first grow. :headbanger:

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
Re: First plants (2) : Germinated 3-15-10, under 104 cfl watts, 4" jiffy pots etc. [Re: Herbal]
    #404561 - 04/21/10 10:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Looking great, Herbal! :thumbup::thumbup: I used to hang around the mush cult forums but, I've also just recently gotten started in this hobby; and it's AWESOME!!

It's obvious that you've done your homework. Good job there. In comparison, personally I've had to do much more research for this hobby than for fungi fun but, that's mostly just because the Shroomery is so kick ass and has it pretty much all laid out for you over there.

I'm sure I'll enjoy keeping up with your journal. :awesome:

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal

Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 *DELETED* [Re: Herbal]
    #406090 - 04/24/10 02:23 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by Herbal

Edited by Herbal (04/24/10 12:56 PM)

InvisibleHerbal

Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 [Re: Herbal]
    #406483 - 04/25/10 12:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

So i think i have a hunch to the saggy plant, i think i am watering her too much, i am almost positive. Can over watering make a plant droop? She looks nice and dark and healthy just the fan leaves are sagging and blocking light from hitting the inner shoots.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 [Re: Herbal]
    #406764 - 04/26/10 04:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I love the bagseed grows...you just never know what you're going to get!

And look at those broad leaves. Damn! Indica-dominant, it looks like. Looking forward to the budz. :thumbup:

I wish you good luck Herbal on your first grow! I'll try to help out with my limited experience, but nothing too over the top, that I don't know.

Quote:

Herbal said:

And check out that reflector! Very nice man, very professional. I bet it gets some good cooling.

Here's To your First Grow Herbal! :cheers::greenthumb:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #406826 - 04/26/10 09:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Herbal said:
So i think i have a hunch to the saggy plant, i think i am watering her too much, i am almost positive. Can over watering make a plant droop?

How often are you watering? The droopy plant you posted actually looks thirsty judging from the dryness of the soil.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

OfflineGANJA_FAHMA
WANTED: Lowrider Beans!!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Ocean
Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #406861 - 04/26/10 11:15 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

what up Herbal

The drooping looks like over-watering to me. Your soil doesn't appear sopping wet though. If it is definitely on the wet side try letting your surface soil dry out before feeding her again, like the top inch of soil. Other than that, the little kid is looking damn good!

I wouldn't discard any leaves at this stage of growth. Actually you shouldn't have to prune any of her leaves unless you are simply assisting her in removing diseased or burnt leaves, or topping to create multiple main colas. You may notice in the future that the plant will drop some fan leaves off the main stalk or other leaves that are just not getting enough light to be anymore use to her. So she extracts any usable nutrients from them and they fall off or you can pluck them off for her.

As far as over-kill. I don't believe there is such a term in this hobby. LoL! With 12- 26w CFLs you are looking at a total of about 19,000 Lumens. They say to have a minimum of 2,000-3,000 lumens per sq.ft. and your area doesn't look any bigger than 4 sq.ft. so 19,000 lum/4 sq.ft. = 4,750 lumens per sq.ft. This is my guess of course but you can do the math after you figure out the footprint dimensions of your grow area, then divide your total output of lumens but that number. I got the figure 19,000 because a typical 26w daylight cfl has a lumen output of 1,600,give or take. So its not overkill but it will definitely get the job done. The only change I would make(IMO) is to leave the 6 cfl's overhead an relocate the other 6 bulbs horizontal to her. This will give more light penetration to all part of the plants instead of just the higher bud-sites. This is a must if you are trying to achieve a bushier plant with CFL's. If you want a short & bushy plant keep the cfl's overhead within a couple inches and place the side bulbs slightly futher away so the side shoots reach out to the light. Once they get past the above fan leaves or branches blocking light from above, then move the cfls closer so she can fill out. I found this to be easier if you continually keep the branch horizontal with twist ties or whichever training wire you may have. If the fan leaves are sagging over new growth then don't drown her with water and they'll pirk up. LoL! Then those new side bulbs should have no issue hitting those shady areas, right?

If it makes it easier for ya I can post some example pix of my setup to show you how I achieved this. Plants under CFL's dont stretch if done right. I will find out soon if they can in fact produce "dense bud" like an HPS system. Apparently it's not possible but I'm gunna find out for myself.

Nothing is "impossible".

Will be following your thread for sure bro! Good luck with your grow!

--------------------
Da Tree Amiga's!!!

Mango-Hawaiian Punch -Northern Lights X

and a few other suprises!  COMING SOON....

:advisory:

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

#407125 - 04/26/10 04:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

WOW!! Now THAT's a DIY lighting setup to win my heart!! Haha, now I feel motivated to get off my ass and build a decent reflector, myself.

:awecid:

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal

Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #407378 - 04/26/10 10:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

THC-
Yeah these plants both look indica dominant, One of the smokes was really head sigh so i don't know, i guess it could still be indica. Thanks for the compliments and help offer.

206-
I was watering everyday, just not much, just so the soil was loose and light but moist. Last night i really watered her, we'll see if it helps or gets worse.

Ganja_Fahma-
I actually held back from watering for a couple of days and it seemed to worsen so i just watered her pretty well and we'll see what happens. Yeah i kind of figured not to prune etc. but i wasn't sure, some of the inner leafs look kind of weak that's why i asked. And Thanks for all the tips and compliments, one of them about the lights hanging is a great idea, i think i seen it on a grow before, so i'll try that when i get everything setup. You can post some pics if you want, it always help seeing other people's setups, a community of tried and proven ideas always helps. 

Beetle-
Thanks bro :tongue2: It was pretty easy, and pretty cheap. I think the 2x6 i had laying around, the particle board was like $3.00, 2-pack of strips was $8, eye screws were another $1, rope and extension cord i also had laying around. $12 minus bulbs.

--------------------

Edited by Herbal (04/26/10 10:32 PM)

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #407496 - 04/27/10 07:41 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Herbal said:
206-
I was watering everyday, just not much, just so the soil was loose and light but moist. Last night i really watered her, we'll see if it helps or gets worse.

Yeah try to make sure you water until there is run-off from the bottom of your pots. Roots like going down for water as opposed to up which they will do if you're only watering lightly on top. Then instead of watering every day you should be able to go 3-4 days or until the soil has almost completely dried out again (pick up the pots and gauge the weight).

--------------------
|

InvisibleHerbal

Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #408092 - 04/28/10 12:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well 206,
You nailed it. When the plants started to droop I figured I was over watering so I let them sit for a couple of days and they were getting worse and worse. So when I watered them I watered them enough that water came through the bottom. I woke up the next day to two REALLY healthy looking plants with several inches of growth, maybe 4 or 5, (Not exaggerating) and fan leaves sitting horizontal, so I'm one happy camper right now! Thanks! 

I will have an update soon with pics, I moved the plants to their new location with a couple new lights for side lighting.

Edited by Herbal (04/28/10 02:10 PM)

InvisibleHerbal

Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 *DELETED* [Re: Herbal]
    #408169 - 04/28/10 01:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Herbal

Edited by Herbal (04/28/10 02:09 PM)

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #408203 - 04/28/10 02:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Herbal said:I have a dumb question if you guys don't mind, Should I start the LST on the taller plant? I plan to do a scrog with the both of them if possible but my smaller plant just likes to sit low and wide, not sure why this is. That comes to my second question, Is there anything i should do to stretch her out lighting wise or just let her do her own thing?

They both appear to be afghan/indica dominant which is why the shorter one is so bushy. You certainly don't want to give it less light to encourage stretching. I would recommend pruning the bottom 1-2 nodes which will spur more vertical growth on that one and at the same time LST or top the taller plant to get them more evened out for scrog. The problem you face is what happens once your scrog is up and running and one of them turns out to be male? Probably better to wait until next go around when you have clones from a known fem or fem seeds just my two cents.

--------------------
|

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

#408241 - 04/28/10 03:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

With just two plants, why not try your hand at LST? It'll serve all the same functions of a screen and, for me at least, has been much less time consuming than having to work under a screen.

Don't get me wrong, I want to try a ScrOG grow again myself but it'll definitely be with clones and I would want at least 4 or 5 plants to justify the screen. Any less and LST is your best friend, in my humble and very limited experience.

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal

Re: First plants (2) : Good Bagseed, Germinated 3-15-10 under 104 CFL watts, 4 [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #408521 - 04/28/10 09:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

206-
I think i will prune the bottom couple sets, the only problem i see doing so is on the second from bottom node there is a really nice healthy shoot starting and where the base starts at the stem there is a fan leaf coming off, should i prune the whole shoot or just the fan leaf and the bottom node? About the scrogg, I didn't really think of it like that, I guess I am dealing with bagseed :smirk:, and I'm sure pulling a male from a scrog is a pain in the ass.

Beetle-

The LST is a much better idea than scrog at this point, especially if I snag a male. I was going to just use some yarn, I don't want to cut or damage her with too thin of string. (I ended up using a fucking shoelace!)

One quick question I have that I forgot to ask and couldn't find in the forums was, Does smell have anything to do with sex? The tall plant is really starting to smell, well, really skunky.

And thanks for the ideas guys.

--------------------

Edited by Herbal (04/28/10 10:34 PM)

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #408663 - 04/29/10 07:53 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Herbal said:
206-
I think i will prune the bottom couple sets, the only problem i see doing so is on the second from bottom node there is a really nice healthy shoot starting and where the base starts at the stem there is a fan leaf coming off, should i prune the whole shoot or just the fan leaf and the bottom node? About the scrogg, I didn't really think of it like that, I guess I am dealing with bagseed :smirk:, and I'm sure pulling a male from a scrog is a pain in the ass.

You want to cut the entire node off each side as close to the stalk as possible, starting at the bottom with the cotyledon. Also you will want to start LST on the other one really soon because the earlier you start the easier it is.

Quote:

Herbal said:
One quick question I have that I forgot to ask and couldn't find in the forums was, Does smell have anything to do with sex? The tall plant is really starting to smell, well, really skunky.

Males can reek just as much during veg if its a stinky strain. Wait until 2~ weeks into 12/12 or until you see pre-flowers.

--------------------
|

InvisibleHerbal

#408969 - 04/29/10 06:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well 206, I'm rollin with what you say, you're grow logs are to dream for so I have been going for it. I trimmed the bottom 2 nodes from my bush and tied my tall bitch down, seems like in 24 hours she has fully recovered and made an Z kind of shape. My question with LST is do I rotate the way I pull and pull her the opposite way now or keep her to one side? I cannot find any LST how-to's besides the overview which doesn't go into too much detail of how to do it.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/239250#239250

I will try to snap a few pics and upload them tonight if I have time.

Edited by Herbal (04/29/10 08:00 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom