Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. Update 4/18/10 TRANSPLANT!
    #397759 - 04/07/10 03:27 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Here's the equipment:

Grow tent: 6 ft3 Reflective Mylar Interior. $175.00
You can see my current grow in front of it. The frame needs to be tied to the ceiling of the room at the center of the tent in order to feel safe about it holding my reflector. Not a big deal just 1 more thing to fix.

Ventilation: 6" Soler & Palau TD-Mixvent Inline Fan  Model: TD-150  Airflow: 218/293 CFM  54/65 Watts  $155.00

Bulbs: Eye Hortilux 430W Super HPS & 400W Hortilux Blue MH  $140.00
I was just going to buy the MH Blue but the HPS was on sale at the same place so I couldn't pass it up. I basically saved $10 on the HPS and $20 on the MH Blue. Now, I'm going to do this one grow under the 430W HPS and save the Blue for veg for the next 1000W grow. The 400W HPS will then become a back-up for that until I can afford a back-up 1000.

Reflector + Ballast: Sunlight Supply 6" Blockbuster Reflector 24"x24"  All wired up with cord and socket. Drop shipped from manufacturer.  $150.00
Lumatek 400W Digital Ballast w/ SuperLumens mode  $145.00
Just came today!

Total :money:: $765.00

LIGHT TEST!!! -4/10/10

Hung the light today and fired 'er up!!! This light is BRIGHT.

I just anchored my frame to the ceiling this morning. Here's a few pics. You can see the anchor in the ceiling strap and I have a scrap piece of nylon rope that was fed through the seam (no hole) and tied to the center of the frame (pic #2). Now instead of the frame bowing down when you hang the light, it bows UP!!! One of my more satisfying purchases.

Hung the reflector with ratcheting straps. Definitely not going to fall now! To lift it up, just give each side a crank.

The ballast is behind the tent.:cool: Just need to add my ducting and the inline fan.

This light is almost TWICE as bright as the 400W vertical HPS I have running now. I guess if the bulb is vertical you loose about 30% of your light. So that's +30%; plus it's a digital ballast so add about another 20-30%. New bulb on top of it all and you can see how it's almost twice as much light. Think I'll fire it up on 4/20 for good luck!

And more pics of the reflector as requested.

One thing I noticed when taking pics of the bulb. With my other magnetic ballast 400 I always get flicker when taking pics. It's a bitch. I have to take MANY pics, delete the ones that are too dark or too light and sort through the rest. With this light every pic comes out crystal clear. No flicker at all. I guess it has to do with the fact magnetics run at 60Hz. and digitals run at 20-30,000Hz.

Anyway what I'm saying is this Journal is gonna have some SIC PICS!!!

Harry: You can see the post that holds the glass to the reflector, right next to the sticker. And the pic of the seam on one of the flanges. They both look identical.

THE GROW
Going back to the old Sensi Star? with seeds from my first harvest. Takes longer to finish but it yields. The hermie trait is not as pronounced as in this strain. I'm hoping that by starting many I can toss all the ones that herm on me and it won't affect my harvest. I plan on "lollipopping" all the plants and focusing on 1 large cola.

A few of the seedlings are for an early outdoor planting. It's warming up fast here. :yesnod:

Starting out in the veg. closet under my Overdriven Shoplights. (2) 4ft. fixtures. This pic is the light rail I modded for this grow. I added the gold chain hooks in order to move the lights closer together. I may add a third in a future grow.

Germination: Started germination (35 seeds) at 9PM on March 30th. Waited 36 hours. Opened container on April 1st. at 9AM. 100% germination.
Lost 1 seed. It germinated so hard that the seed pod cut the cotyledon right off the taproot. Threw one seed out. Here's 23 that were in one container.

Transplanted to 3" peat pots and put in nursery trays. Mix of Pro-Mix BX and regular soil (50/50).
All seedlings popped the soil on Sunday with the exception of 1 (it popped soil Monday). You can see how close I run the OD shoplights to the seedlings. No burns. These pics were taken 4/6/10 (yesterday).

-4/12/10 (8 Days Veg.) 6 Days Later.
Kind of an early update. Growing fast. Notice how close the true leaves are in relation to the cotyledons. Testament to the power of the OVERDRIVE!!!:sunny:

I've noticed how short my seedlings are in comparison with others around here. Most beginners are scared to run fluoros close to their seedlings because they're scared of them growing into the light and burning. However, if the light was closer from the beginning, they would not have stretched in the first place. Lesson: LOWER YOUR LIGHTS!!! (from the start)

-4/18/10 (14 Days Veg.) TRANSPLANT TIME!!!
Things are moving fast and so must I. I planned on transplanting on 4/20 but decided to start a few days earlier. I couldn't wait any longer to fire up the new HPS!!!

Started germinating a few more seeds to fill my veg room. Bunch of random seeds I had lying around. Should be interesting for some outdoor.

I hooked up the rest of my ducting to the reflector. (You can see the current grow in the front) The backside of the fan is left open until I get a carbon filter. This sucks the air from the tent at the top, while pulling fresh air through the passive intakes in the bottom. When the tent is fully zipped it sucks the canvas of the tent inwards. The fan is wired up to the low side. It's a beast!!!

Here they are right before the transplant. I took the best ones out of these. The rest are still in the veg closet. I used a 50/50 mix of MGMC/Pro-Mix BX. I needed a consistent soil to mix with the BX and MGMC fit the bill as far as amount of dirt vs. cost$$$. As you can imagine, I'm pretty broke after buying all the new gear.

And this is after the transplant. 13 so far. I plan on doing more tomorrow but I had to mix up more dirt and get more good water. I had to rework all the outlets in the room in order to get the right combination for everything to work. What a puzzle that was. Oh well, it all works now. I have them on a 20/4 light cycle.

Edited by DrGreenThumb (04/18/10 09:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #397761 - 04/07/10 03:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ill be watching, dont mess up

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #397768 - 04/07/10 03:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Haha, wow lots of nice new equipment there and I'm loving the low rider shop light!

--------------------

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #398191 - 04/08/10 08:18 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have that same tent and you will really enjoy all the extra space man. I used a tall shelf on the inside of mine + some coir to eliminate the sag. If you send them an ebay message and say some of the fittings broke they will hook you up with free extras too which I recommend since several of mine have cracked.

Looks like you got some great equipment. That hood is pretty dope I've never seen a perfectly square air-cooled one before.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #398194 - 04/08/10 08:30 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm very curious about the blockbuster reflector! I've been thinking about getting a couple of the 8" recently but someone online said they don't seal that well :confused:

Are the vent holes all one piece with the hood part or are there cracks?  How well does the glass fit against the gasket? would you mind taking some closer pictures for me?

I really love the shape on it though, seems like it outta really shoot some light down towards your plants!

Can't wait to see this one get started :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #398212 - 04/08/10 08:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i prefer hoods with no angles if possible

and white finish would also be best but i guess you knew that

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: Tcrib]
    #398224 - 04/08/10 09:02 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I guess I can understand the angle thing, but I like that hood because all 4 sides are pushed out so they reflect light, as opposed to some reflectors that only have 2 sides facing down.

The magnux xxl I think is the best in that case, all 4 sides point down, but no angles on the sides

And why flat white? That usually only reflects ~90% of available light while the specular aluminium can get as high as 97%

--------------------

InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #398228 - 04/08/10 09:07 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i lied

Edited by Tcrib (04/08/10 09:15 AM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #398286 - 04/08/10 11:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

lollipopping
A term I have not heard before.
What does it mean?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: KaptKid]
    #398292 - 04/08/10 11:37 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Trimming off all the lower side branches that are under the canopy anyway

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: DungenessDank]
    #398527 - 04/08/10 08:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: KaptKid]
    #398988 - 04/09/10 06:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

206 said:
I have that same tent and you will really enjoy all the extra space man.

This is exactly why I got the 6ft. tent over the 4ft. I remember you recommending against it because of the sag but figured I could rig something up. I also figured I'd have less issues with heat when I get a 1000W in it.  For the price you can't go wrong. The canvas quality is excellent.

When it came UPS the box was broke open on one side and it worried me. It was missing a few pieces and I asked them for extras. They sent them right away. I was quite pleased with the customer service. Being able to zip yourself in and walk around the grow is a definite plus.

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I'm very curious about the blockbuster reflector!

I got all my other stuff today. Ducting, clamps, ratcheting straps to hang it (and some more peat pots). Despite being broke as shit. I will fire it up tomorrow for a test and take more detailed pics of the reflector to post.

Quote:

KaptKid said:
lollipopping
A term I have not heard before.
What does it mean?

Exactly what DungenessDank said. I plan on cutting off ALL side branches and focusing on the one main cola. Much easier to inspect for hermies on one big bud as opposed to the whole plant.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#399038 - 04/09/10 07:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Looking forward to watching this progress. Looks like you got some goooooooood equipment there.

Good luck man!

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #399389 - 04/10/10 03:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

LIGHT TEST!!! -4/10/10
UPDATE

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Edited by DrGreenThumb (04/12/10 06:44 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #399393 - 04/10/10 04:12 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

hmmm.... I actually really like that little raised part on the duct flange. Probably really helps seal the ducting to the reflector when you use hose clamps.

Hard to see in the picture but it kind of looks like the flange isn't one piece with the reflector, but if you think it looks air tight then I definitely trust naked eye inspection over my silly looks at a picture :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #399431 - 04/10/10 07:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, unfortunately my dad only had (2) 6" hose clamps so I couldn't hook up the ducting and fan yet. I'm just going to get some big zip ties for the ducting since I'm really broke after buying the duct work.

Shit, I still don't have any flanges for the intake and exhaust yet. I'll figure it out though. Gimme a day. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #399994 - 04/12/10 06:43 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Hard to see in the picture but it kind of looks like the flange isn't one piece with the reflector...

It may not be. It's hard to tell with the seamless powder coating. If it's not 1 piece it's definitely still airtight. If it's welded then it must be tacked from the inside, which I doubt, because it wouldn't make for a very strong weld.

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. Update 4/12/10 [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #399999 - 04/12/10 07:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

-4/12/10 (8 Days Veg.) 6 Days Later.
UPDATE

--------------------

Edited by DrGreenThumb (04/18/10 09:02 PM)

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. Update 4/12/10 [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #400280 - 04/12/10 07:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Bumpski bitches. This is the first time I ever bump a thread so I better not hear shit about it. :tongue: The last 4 posts are mine anyways.:tongue2:

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My last amatuer grow. 430W HPS. All NEW Equipment!!! Lots of pics. Update 4/18/10 TRANSPLANT! [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #403591 - 04/18/10 09:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

-4/18/10 (14 Days Veg.) TRANSPLANT TIME!!!
Things are moving fast and so must I. I planned on transplanting on 4/20 but decided to start a few days earlier. I couldn't wait any longer to fire up the new HPS!!!

Started germinating a few more seeds to fill my veg room. Bunch of random seeds I had lying around. Should be interesting for some outdoor.

I hooked up the rest of my ducting to the reflector. (You can see the current grow in the front) The backside of the fan is left open until I get a carbon filter. This sucks the air from the tent at the top, while pulling fresh air through the passive intakes in the bottom. When the tent is fully zipped it sucks the canvas of the tent inwards. The fan is wired up to the low side. It's a beast!!!

Here they are right before the transplant. I took the best ones out of these. The rest are still in the veg closet. I used a 50/50 mix of MGMC/Pro-Mix BX. I needed a consistent soil to mix with the BX and MGMC fit the bill as far as amount of dirt vs. cost$$$. As you can imagine, I'm pretty broke after buying all the new gear.

And this is after the transplant. 13 so far. I plan on doing more tomorrow but I had to mix up more dirt and get more good water. I had to rework all the outlets in the room in order to get the right combination for everything to work. What a puzzle that was. Oh well, it all works now. I have them on a 20/4 light cycle.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order