Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineicanfeeltherain
Newb Mycologist
Male

what's wrong with these seedlings??
    #381327 - 03/10/10 03:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Why do some seedlings have roots that shoot back up to the surface or go under for a few inches only to resurface near the edge of the seed cup?  Are there a specific set of characteristics to a healthy seedling or do certain varieties or individual organisms develop differently?  It seems that a week old seedling that stands 5cm and has 3cm cotyledon is perhaps already showing signs of stretching and stress.  What makes a healthy seedling and when should it be switched over to heavy veg. lighting or transplanted outdoors?

--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" - Thich Nhat Hanh

"Yes, Cuban B."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what's wrong with these seedlings?? [Re: icanfeeltherain]
    #381521 - 03/10/10 08:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If the tap root is coming back to the surface that is an indication that only the surface layer of soil is getting saturated when watering.  This could be from either not giving enough water to penetrate deeper, or the soil or medium is too pressed down or too dense at the top and the water is just running down the sides of the dense soil block when you water.  Get the whole medium wet to start with, and as the seedlings roots grow deeper searching for more water the growing medium will become drier.  Only water again after all the water has been absorbed from the soil by the roots.

If you really pressed down your soil after sowing the seed, get a fork or toothpick and try to aerate it, carefully.

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
Re: what's wrong with these seedlings?? [Re: icanfeeltherain]
    #386959 - 03/19/10 04:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Veg growth starts about a month or so after gemination and seedling stage, I myself start feeding as soon as the plant has 3 pairs of true leaves not including codyledons, I suppose its ok to start a little earlier but personally I dont. I deff wouldnt suggest feeding at least untill after the 3rd week of growth, however, this depends largely on the enviroment. For instance a plant that isint recieving optimal or close to optimal conditions is likely to grow slower thus negating the need for feeding as it wont be able to use it or wont need that much, in this case very mild feeding is recomended. Your plants will tell you what they want and dont want, but finding out what they dont want can sometimes cause big problems.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies