Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekydub

Just got some seedlings
    #30409 - 05/15/08 01:13 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

A friend of mine just gave me some seedlings to try my hand at growing. His suggestion was that I get them in some soil immediately - so I mixed this up:

3 parts coir
3 parts castings
3 parts verm
1 part diamateous earth
dash of kelp meal

Mixed everything well dry, then hydrated to field capacity. I'll be using a 23w CFL to light them for now.

This happened much faster than I was expecting - I've just barely started researching my next steps. Is there anything blatantly wrong I've done so far? Any suggestions for moving forward?

--------------------
81423 17 1f j00 5934k 1337.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: kydub]
    #30520 - 05/15/08 06:38 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

How long had they been out of soil before you put them in there? They don't look very healthy. It looks like they have been lacking enough light for quite awhile. It looks like they kept growing to find light and now they can't support themselves because the stems are too thin. As far as revitalizing them goes, I don't have much experience personally but I'd definitely say get them plenty of light and make sure they get the water they need, nutrients as well if its time for that. I couldn't go as far as to say that they are fucked since I couldn't really know but I would tend to think that they will have problems with stems like that. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Sirius]
    #30576 - 05/15/08 09:12 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, not surprised on the stems. He was using some blue LED panels for vegetative growth and the light wasn't penetrating down enough. As for soil they were never in it, they were in little green cubes of something.

--------------------

Edited by kydub (05/15/08 09:13 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #30594 - 05/15/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

oh shit, and you took them out of the rockwool cubes? That definitely could have killed them.

Assuming they still have roots attached you need to get them some good airflow and lighting immediately. Give them some water with a drop of superthrive (if you can find it near you)and extremely light nutrients and hope for the best. Good luck!

--------------------

OfflinePipesmoker Elf
Super Coyote
Female

#30621 - 05/15/08 12:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I am intrigued by the method that you used to get them out of the rocwkool cubes... :strokebeard:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Pipesmoker Elf]
    #30635 - 05/15/08 12:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I don't believe it was ever written that they were taken out of the rockwool...

but did you take them out of the rockwool?? :shocked: Or just plant the whole thing into the soil?

Removing the cube could have severely damaged the fragile, young root structure.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Yrat]
    #30665 - 05/15/08 01:30 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't think it was what he meant, but I guess its a possibility. :lol:

I just think they didn't get nearly enough light and s-t-r-e-c-h-e-d out in search of it. Assuming that it is possible to revive them, it might be worthwhile to try taking some rooting gel and applying it to the stem. I couldn't guarantee that it would work, but I was reading about a guy's experiments with applying it on rooted plants and it was making the stems thicker. :lol:

Like I said, just a crazy thought. :nut:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #30669 - 05/15/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
As for soil they were never in it, they were in little green cubes of something.

It's that were that makes me think he removed them. I could be wrong though... I hope I'm wrong.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #30673 - 05/15/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I think its just carrying over the tense from "they were never in it", but I guess its a standing mystery for now. :sherlock:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#30674 - 05/15/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i would definitely try to bury the stems up to the cotyledons (first pair of leaf-looking things). then, get a juice-box straw and cut it to match the length of stem between the soil and first leaves. slit it down the side, open it up, and wrap the stem up inside to support the plant and get those leaves facing some real light. it looks like someone put those in the dark under their bed.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinekydub

#30764 - 05/15/08 03:20 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
I think its just carrying over the tense from "they were never in it", but I guess its a standing mystery for now. :sherlock:

Right,  definitely could've worded that better.  All I did was plant the entire cube (figured doing anything but would be bloody dumb) in the mix I posted above - they're probably about 1/2" or so deep.  Didn't want to go too far.

Quote:

Yrat said:
i would definitely try to bury the stems up to the cotyledons (first pair of leaf-looking things).  then, get a juice-box straw and cut it to match the length of stem between the soil and first leaves.  slit it down the side, open it up, and wrap the stem up inside to support the plant and get those leaves facing some real light.  it looks like someone put those in the dark under their bed.

Thank you!  I'll definitely drop them lower then - like I said above,  didn't think I should go too deep.

The terrarium they were in was about 10" tall or so,  I believe,  and the LED panel only has 6" of effective light reach,  as it was explained to me.

Is it even worth continuing with these?  Honestly I was hoping to learn what I could with the mistakes so I wouldn't fuck up the clones that were going to be purchased in the future - but not if they're toast. =/

--------------------

Edited by kydub (05/15/08 03:23 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #30769 - 05/15/08 03:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Look, to be honest, no.  I would toss those bitches and start again.  You won't have lost much time, and if you can start your plants off healthy and right you'll be in a much better place.

FYI- Fuck the LED's.  Seriously.  I know there's a lot of hype surrounding them but if this is your first go around start off with the basics!!  Fluorescent lighting is cheap, easy to find, and costs almost nothing to run.  They're perfect for vegging plants and starting seeds/clones.  From there move on to your HID of choice for more veg or flowering and you'll get yourself some smokable herb at the end.

As far as your soil mixture is concerned, it's technically a soiless mix (except you added a bit of guano).  So, besides the little bit of N you added in for your plants, you're going to need to be watering them with nutrients almost every feeding.  If this is the method you wish to go with i'd take a look at hanky's thread in the indoor subforum (right above this forum) and read how he does it.  It's the same thing (except you use a slightly different medium) so that will give you a better idea of how to take care of your babies.  The DE may have been a little overkill, i know you want to try and balance your PH, but too basic is no good for plants either.

Otherwise you'll need to read up on how to properly amend your soil with nutrients so that the plants will have what they need for the most part (with you giving them some extra now and then).

If you want to try and save them, do as the others said, bury the stem some more and give them more light.  Have a small fan blowing gently over the tops of the seedlings to help build up some more strength in the stem.  Then cross your fingers and pray. :laugh:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: coda]
    #30785 - 05/15/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Heh. I should probably explain where I'm coming from - I hopped over here from Shroomery - so everything I have and know right now is based around that. The mix I whipped up I assumed was ridiculously overkill - and unfortunately I wasn't planning on starting this for another month at /least/, 'cause right now I know jack shit.

LEDs - I wasn't going to use them, my buddy currently is. I was planning on hitting homedepot for a 150w CFL and reflector.

The DE was for moisture retention only, I wasn't even thinking about ph. Aaaah, a whole new body of knowledge to absorb. I wasn't planning on spending alot of time making sure everything was carefully calibrated - I just don't it available at the moment. I'll read Hanky's thread for the info, thanks.

I'll give saving them a go for now if it's still possible - I figure all the pitfalls and stumbles along the way'll make the next time that much better. Same thing happened with my shroomies.

Thanks for the advice! ...Damn, I can't do ratings for awhile apparently. =/

Edited by kydub (05/15/08 03:58 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #31005 - 05/15/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

LOL, shit, my fault, i can thank my early morning bowl for that. Confused DE with Dolomitic Lime in my head.

I don't really hear about DE being used too much in cannabis cultivation, except as a pest control measure, but you should be ok. I would probably stick to verm for water retention and perlite or hydroton for drainage in the future.

When growing in a true soil medium PH is not as important as other things. However when problems arise in a soil grow it's always a good idea to check the run off and see what the suffering plants soil's PH is at. It's always a good idea to PH your water and your nutrient solution to double check and make sure you don't have to adjust for something too high or too low.

If you're growing the hydro route PH becomes a bit more important. A decent meter or testing kit and a watchful eye will be all you need though.

Good luck with those seedlings, when you go to re-transplant them be as gentle as you can. Any additional shock right now is just going to make things worse.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#31129 - 05/15/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Think I'm gonna be sticking to soil here, for now - I want some buffer to my fuckups, personally. Hydro seems a little expensive to get it to the low maintenance point that I'm looking for.

Just picked up some pots, and I'm going to search around online for some DIY soils that I can mix up with the ridiculous amount of stuff around this house. Post some pics in a bit.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#31240 - 05/15/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

bv in #growery gave me this advice:

Quote:

bv said:
20:27… bv: id recommend getting some blood meal or bat guano thats high in nitrogen
20:28… bv: mix with some lime, perlite, and some good soil
20:28… bv: best way to go
20:28… bv: imo
20:28… bv: simple
20:28… bv: good mix

Any opinions here ('specially on what he meant by 'good soil')?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

#31305 - 05/15/08 11:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Strain(s)? Bagseed?

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: PsilocybinMike]
    #31333 - 05/16/08 12:13 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Sage & Sour is the strain for all of them. The seeds came from a bag from one of the local dispensaries, if that makes a difference.

For soil several people've recommended Happy Frog® Potting Soil so I'm just going to leave it in the above soilless mix they're in now and carefully transplant into new, bigger pots instead of cans/jars tomorrow.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: PsilocybinMike]
    #31336 - 05/16/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Any opinions here ('specially on what he meant by 'good soil')?

anything light and fluffy will do the trick really. Blood meal is good for N, but, you're going to have to add in something for P+K as well otherwise you'll have an imbalance. That soil would work fine for vegging, but your plants would suffer during flowering.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#31982 - 05/16/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Alrighty! I bought some Happy Frog Potting Soil and replanted in little pots... the girls didn't do too good in the heat today, and the soilless mix I had them in was pretty dry. =( Not good. They don't look very healthy right now.

But I've got 'em set as well as I can right now, upright, gently packed the soil then watered it through and let it drain. There's a ceiling fan running in my room right now that's gently agitating them...

...what else can I do? (Still going to get juice straws for real support, zip ties were all I had around. =/)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder