Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
First time grower, Single plant. Could use some experienced eyes
    #494486 - 11/02/10 09:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys, I'm a first time grower and thought I'd start a log on here to get some input and tips as my baby grows up.

Specs:
Grow medium: Rockwool
Nute: GH Floragro
Lights: 2 2' 24watt T5's and one 28 watt CFL
Ventilation:Single Oscillating fan
Co2 production: Baking soda vinegar (Just started doing this today,we'll see if it has any effect.)

Alright so I'm about 2 weeks and 2 days into my grow (Once Germed seed went into little rockwool cube) and what I've been doing is watering using distilled one gallon jugs from my local grocery store after, for the first week she got nothing but water, then I mixed a gallon of very diluted Floragro (followed the back recipe .5tsp per gal.) and she got that for a week, then I just recently switched to the 1 tsp strength alternating nutes and regular distilled water each watering.
Alright so I do have a few questions though, Does my plant look a little small for the time its been vegging for? (maybe I'm just impatient) And do you guys thing this setup will work alright for me? I plan on either buying some bloom bulbs for my T5's or getting a HPS 150 watt. Only thing I'm worried about is heat b/c I'm not able to vent very well but he heat isn't a problem with the T5's.

Onto the pics:

Thanks guys, post away

Edited by jkell (11/02/10 09:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Re: First time grower, Single plant. Could use some experienced eyes [Re: jkell]
    #494868 - 11/03/10 09:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Any suggestions on how to improve and make things better or advice on ways to get the highest yield possible for this plant are welcome, I was thinking about doing some LST, is it too early to start?

Invisiblepositive1

Re: First time grower, Single plant. Could use some experienced eyes [Re: jkell]
    #494918 - 11/04/10 06:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

they say you can develop mildew on the tops of those rockwool cubes when the light hits them. they make caps for them, or maybe tranplant it into a pot with soil and or soiless material which you can use to cover the cubes. as well as give more room for root growth. big roots=big buds:wink:

InvisibleHefe
    #494934 - 11/04/10 07:20 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

With the baking soda/vinegar, you don't want to just mix them together all at once, but rather get a slow and steady drip of vinegar into a container of baking soda, allowing for a constant production of co2.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#495196 - 11/04/10 08:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks guys, Yeah I want to tranfer the rockwool cubes into a soiless medium and possibly set up an ebb and flow system, but the funds aren't there right now.

And as for the Co2 thing I was going to try and get a constant CO2 thing setup but I figured why cant I fill the room with CO2 then the plant uses it when it see's fit?

Alright guys heres the next update, plant is now 2 weeks and 6 days (20 days), since germinated seed went into rockwool.

InvisibleHefe
    #495309 - 11/05/10 07:11 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That would work, if you had absolutely no ventilation in your room/cabinet.

Rockwool looks like baby shit to me. I'd wait another week or so then transplant that sucker into some soil.

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: First time grower, Single plant. Could use some experienced eyes [Re: Hefe]
    #495310 - 11/05/10 07:15 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think you could start feeding her a stronger solution soon, she looks a little Pale, N hungry perhaps.

i would also transfer to a big soil pot when she outgrows that cube if i was you

--------------------

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#495323 - 11/05/10 07:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks guys, I plan on transplating her pretty soon because she's already got a root coming out the bottom, I'll prob wait for a few more to show first though.

@Inbred. You think a stronger solution? This is my first grow so I haven't really been able to gauge nutes very well and I don't wanna burn her but I'll give it a try. Right now I'm feeding her the 1 tsp/gallon GH Floragro mixture. I think the next step up is 3 tsp/gal

Also I'm not going to be around this weekend, do you guys think its alright if I give her a nice watering fri (today) at around noon then take off for the weekend and check on her on Sun morning?

P.S. I also think my plant sexed female, is it too early to tell and I'm just making things up or could it actually be true?

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#495335 - 11/05/10 08:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Also is it bad that my stem is purple? Is this normal?

InvisibleHefe
    #495351 - 11/05/10 09:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Purple/Red stems are a sign of nutrient deficiencies. Usually magnesium or phosphorus.

Check the pH of your water/nute solution.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#495612 - 11/05/10 11:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hefe said:
Purple/Red stems are a sign of nutrient deficiencies.

This is not always true.  Many cannabis plants have purple stems, especially as seedlings.  Your plant looks happy and healthy to me, if a bit small for three weeks old.
How often are you watering?

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Re: First time grower, Single plant. Could use some experienced eyes [Re: God]
    #495627 - 11/06/10 12:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Its three weeks exactly since the germed seed went in the rockwool? this is small for three weeks from seed? I water about once every day sometimes every other day. Any suggestions on how to make my girl grow faster?

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
    #495636 - 11/06/10 01:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

it looks pale to me, i would say with 90% certainty it could use more nitrogen.

--------------------

Offlinekilgo
Stranger
Male
Re: First time grower, Single plant. Could use some experienced eyes [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #495736 - 11/06/10 02:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Looks like your losing a lot of light,some reflecting material,(cfl's lose light farther it goes from the middle)some hydrogen peroxide perhaps to help oxygen absorption?

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: First time grower, Single plant. Could use some experienced eyes [Re: kilgo]
    #495791 - 11/06/10 06:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I'd expect it to be a bit bigger at 3 weeks, but it's nothing to worry about.  I agree with Inbred and kilgo, it could probably be fed a little more and use more light.  Reflective material (something painted "flat white" is great) on the sides will help; how close are your lights to the top of the plant?

As for watering, I'm not too familiar with rockwool honestly, so I can't comment directly...however, watering every day seems too often to me.  I don't know, people have plants growing in rockwool on a drip or ebb/flow system, so I guess it can stay wet constantly, it just depends on how much you give them and how much the rockwool can hold.  Is the top of the rockwool still damp to the touch when you water each time?
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the medium will chime in.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#495848 - 11/06/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It seems to me that Rockwool is the least absorbent of all the growing mediums so that could account for my frequent waterings.

I just mixed up an "aggressive vegetative" mixture and I plan on feeding my girl sunday.

The lights is about 3-4 inches off the top of the plant. Ive been looking around for some mylar but would tinfoil work as a quick fix?

@kilgo what about hydrogen peroxide? More info? sounds like an interesting thing to try.

Thanks for all the help loving the forum, :thumbup::stoned:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#495885 - 11/07/10 12:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Cool, that's good.  Keep those lights close.  Get MOAR light if you can, too.  It's looking happy now, no worries, but when it's big it'll need better coverage.  What sort of light are you going to use for flowering?

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#495891 - 11/07/10 01:05 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've been looking around for a HPS. I'm not sure on wattage though. I want to get a decent amount of wattage and coverage without using too much electricity. I was thinking either a 150 or 250. Do you think I'd need to setup a new vent system in order to keep the temp down with either one of these wattages? My grow space is about 4' by 3' how many plants do you think i could grow in this space for my second grow and how big of a light you think I'd need?

Also I think I might be getting an ebb and flow system set up sometime this week. I'll post pics if/when it does get up and running.

Edit: I was planning on transplanting my rockwool cubes into a 3 gal with hydroton, for an ebb and flow system, is this smart? what have you guys transplanted your rockwool into for ebb and flow?

Edited by jkell (11/07/10 02:50 AM)

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#496018 - 11/07/10 04:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Alright guys got back to my baby a few hours ago and she was looking a little N deficient so I gave her some of the aggressive veg growth mixture I had, I'm hoping tomorrow she wont be looking so sick. Take a look at these pictures and confirm or refute my diagnosis. I wouldn't doubt if I'm wrong.
Here it looks like N problems because of the lighter green/yellow in the leafs (everything I've read point to N)

But then in this one it looks like nute burn on the tip WTF? Can N deficiency also cause a "Nute burn" looking...erm burn?

Here's some more:

I had a feeling I'd run into some problems on my first grow, but thats what I have the Growery for :smile:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#496034 - 11/07/10 05:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Actually, those first couple pictures look fine to me.  Nitrogen deficiency starts yellowing at the tips/edges of the leaves and works its way in.
I hope your "aggressive" veg formula isn't too intense; it's better to work your way up gradually and see what the plant can handle at each stage.  If it starts to look burnt or something, you can flush it with a dilute solution to clear out the excessive nutrients.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale