Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only)
    #793105 - 09/09/15 09:48 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys well me and my girl tried our concentrate.. and was thinking looking into a concentrate. But dont know whats really what. All i do know though i want to stay clear of butane for multi reasons. But was wondering what are my options to make a good concentrate thats safer then using butane. I was had heard of iso oil.  but was wondering what other options there are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: Mrshroom]
    #793110 - 09/09/15 10:38 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

have u and ur girl tried bubble hash (ice hash) ?

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: P-O]
    #793113 - 09/09/15 10:54 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

yup, make it from my trim

Offlinemax powers
Stranger
Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: Mrshroom]
    #794675 - 09/26/15 01:27 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

does anyone even use this shitty website,lmfao

InvisibleP-O

Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: max powers]
    #794678 - 09/26/15 02:06 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

nope

InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

#794764 - 09/26/15 10:15 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

*deleted*
copyright issues

Edited by AGrower (09/30/15 06:55 PM)

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#794775 - 09/27/15 12:33 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I meant to reply to this a few days ago, but if you're dead set on solvent extraction, and want to avoid butane, isopropyl alcohol is a very underrated solvent for making oil.

There are just a few key points that can make the difference between true shatter and a goopy, harsh mess.

Keep everything as absolutely cold as possible the entire time, use alcohol of no less than 91% strength, do multiple quick washes, and "mirror test" your solvent. (Pour a ml onto a VERY clean mirror, evaporate or burn it away, then look for any residue on the mirror. If you're left with a dirty mirror, you've got dirty solvent. "Dirt in, dirt out.")

The idea behind this method is that with cold isopropanol, the solubility of "trash" goes way down while the solubility of most cannabinoids stays virtually unchanged. (Slightly less soluble, but the rate of dissolution in ice-cold alcohol is much faster than chlorophyll.)

Example:

-'X' grams of bud are ground and then frozen overnight.
-'X' mls of iso. alcohol are measured out and put in the freezer overnight.

The next day: (Two ways to do this.)

Method A:

-Ground material is put in a beaker, erlenmeyer, jar, etc. and frosty, ice-cold iso. alcohol is poured over it until the material is covered.

-Swirl or sit on magnetic stirrer for 25-45 seconds.

-Decant quickly, filter.

-Evaporate on a hot water or sand bath, under vacuum, or in front of a fan. (Keep your area well-ventilated. No smoking.)

-Once totally dry, scrape and smoke.

Method B: (Preferred)

-Take a fractionating column or something similar (Glass or steel pipe.), load it with frozen ground bud.

-Pour the cold alcohol over it and watch it creep down, pulling golden oil on it's way and dripping into a receiving vessel (Jar, beaker.). Much like most butane methods. (Be sure to not pack your column too tight with bud/trim, or your solvent will puddle up, unable to move through, and start pulling excess chlorophyll.)

-Filter the liquid, evaporate per your preferred (Safe, well-ventilated, no sources of ignition.) method, scrape and enjoy.

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

#795138 - 09/29/15 08:31 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

*deleted*
copyright issues

Edited by AGrower (09/30/15 06:56 PM)

InvisibleAGrower
Hydroponic Enthusiast

Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: max powers]
    #795139 - 09/29/15 08:38 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

max powers said:
does anyone even use this shitty website,lmfao

No, there is never more than 4 signed up members online at a time and they are never on for even 1 hour at a time, I am on this 14+ hours a day, from 7am to 1am. But I went Invisible so no one can see me online, because I don't want to look like the only user doing anything. Its boring here. But people need facts and scientific information. not guesstimates SO I stick around, almost pointlessly

oh and an average of 50 guests online at a time, reading posts from the  1800s..

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808602 - 03/23/16 10:58 AM (8 years, 7 days ago)

still looking to make great solvent-less concentrate? PM me if that's possible on this "shitty site" or reply to this thread and i'll tell you all about my rosin tek. make great oil/shatter with out a single bit of butane or hexane or alcohol or anything except heat and pressure. I'm actually building a press this week. let me know if you're still active i'd love to swap ideas and actually get some threads going...

I'm trying!!! LOL

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: qwatch2000] * 1
    #808642 - 03/23/16 06:45 PM (8 years, 7 days ago)

How efficient is rosin? What's your recovery? How much do you run at a time?

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #808690 - 03/24/16 06:06 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

In terms of straight yield I see an average of 10%. Sometimes more, sometimes less if my heat gets away from me for instance. I'm still using a hair straightener (don't spend much there but don't get the absolute cheapest) a 1.5in or 2in plate size is good regarding the hair straightener itself and one with temp controls and shit don't really help because the lowest they go is like 310...i spent 17.96 and it worked fantastic my yields were up, i could tell just by looking,but the straightener was broken within the week.I use a vice to give me that extra pressure you'll just never get with your hands. i've seen a youtube vid a guy used a hand tightening clamp. i'm in the process of building a slightly nicer setup, will still use the heating elements from the hair straighteners but i'll have metal plates for my pressing plates and hopefully some more control over heat. that's just version 2 of my rosin tek experience so far and its on hold over one tine 2.5in piece of steel. well here look at the guide yourself:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisExtracts/comments/3tqp7r/120_rosin_press_complete_tutorial_with_pictures/

i use very tiny amounts at a time, the smaller the better sometimes i've found. there's a "perfect nug" for pressing i've found and it's tight, dense and sugary looking (you know the ones) about .3-.5 no bigger than 1 gram if you wanna watch it juice out (which is so enjoyable) and then you know the rest. parchment, heat, pressure, i've found when my plates go over 200 i switch em off and prepare my little parchpacket with the nug and by the time its going in the vice and getting pressure it has hit its sweet spot of about 160-180 degrees Farenheit. From my experience. I usually pick out 4 or 5 tight little nugs and go press them.I'm saving the pressed weed that's leftover to do....any ideas?? press them at least once each by themselves and them stack them all together and give them a higher temp, harder pressure pressing. the first stuff will be a little tastier i think. less terps burn off? not exact with the science. With the arbor press setup I'm going to try lower temps because I should get more pressure spread out over the area of the plate (2.5"x4"x.25"). Any tips from others who have done this or something similar would be great too!

TL;DL
1. I think it is very efficient, more natural, safer for you, and I yield around 10%. (I have only weighed once)
2. If by what is my recovery you mean how? Just use a dabber and literally wave the parchment with the pressed oil in the freezer if it doesn't want to grab like shatter and wants to sap and smear. Then it will pick up like shatter. (caution: if it's too cold it will literally shatter and go flying, wait two seconds for it to warm back up a bit.)
3. I run around 3 grams at once in .2 to .5nugs no bigger than 1g or the size of your hair straightener plates. leave room for it to ooze onto the parchment so none gets on your plates

Basically I get the same amount of time medicated I would smoking the flowers, I just have to toke far less often.

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: qwatch2000]
    #808691 - 03/24/16 06:11 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

some rosin press and some more fresh pressed next to a BHO attempt

InvisibleCBDFarm
Quit the Growery
Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #808714 - 03/24/16 11:33 PM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
How efficient is rosin? What's your recovery? How much do you run at a time?

Rosin is literally the most inefficient way to make wax.

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: CBDFarm]
    #809651 - 04/04/16 08:32 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

yeah but if you wanna make dabs at home and can't afford a 2000 dollar lab grade setup i would say that's the way the go. all these people making this at home BHO, with or without a little vac chamber..its just not pure and its not good for you. you need ALL the right equipment to get ALL the bullshit out. i buy some honey oil or some BHO from out west occasionally but for the most part i just press a few nugs when i feel like dabbing and save the flattened pieces for desperate times or when the man is in out of service for a day or so

InvisibleCBDFarm
Quit the Growery
Re: want to get into making homemade oil concentrate (none butane only) [Re: qwatch2000]
    #809665 - 04/04/16 09:54 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

qwatch2000 said:
yeah but if you wanna make dabs at home and can't afford a 2000 dollar lab grade setup i would say that's the way the go. all these people making this at home BHO, with or without a little vac chamber..its just not pure and its not good for you. you need ALL the right equipment to get ALL the bullshit out. i buy some honey oil or some BHO from out west occasionally but for the most part i just press a few nugs when i feel like dabbing and save the flattened pieces for desperate times or when the man is in out of service for a day or so

You can make a set up pretty damn cheap... Only thing you really can't make are the pump(s) and a the taps... I work in construction for Fox Studios so I maybe handier then others but its simple... Get a 2 foot stainless steel pipe, 1 1/2 inch thick up to 2 inches.  Get one end threaded, that will be your cap section where you run n-tane/butane, hexane,propane, whatever, and the other end do the same thing or you can cut a circular piece of steel, drill a hole in the middle and weld a tap so the product can leak out. Welding will be stronger under pressure, but a cap will hold fine, but its just something to think about. If you do weld it, you can always run compressed air to blow out material... Anyway, next all you need to do is have a flash,pyrex dish, or something safe to let your material run to. Then purge as you would... And you can get a home vacuum purge set up for under 200 bucks... Then just do this cheap closed loop way... There is no reason for people just looking to do small runs to buy the oven style vacuum purgers with the huge closed loop systems. If you ever try BHO again, I would be glad to help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Vacuum-Chamber-and-3-CFM-Single-Stage-Pump-to-Degassing-Silicone-/361361345015?hash=item5422d089f7:g:dQUAAOSw8-tWVqI1

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds