Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDellik
Stranger

First time DiY Hydroponic grow would love feedback
    #631333 - 07/11/12 12:06 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, so this is my second time growing, first time w/ hydroponics, and t5ho's

My flower room is 4ft by 6ft. (Made with panda film secured to the walls/floor and ceiling.) 7 foot ceiling. Using 2 8 bulb t5HOs 52w. Half 6k half 3k. using a 4inch canister fan for exhust(165 cfm) window mounted AC for temp control. My hydro system is a DiY mosified drip I guess. plant in 4 gal squar container, sit that in 5 gal bucket, water pump in bucket, runs to top of plant and then drains thru. I cycle the pumps on 30 min every 4 hours during light cycle. using the General Hydroponics basic line of nutes.

trying to do 6-8 plants in there and im not sure how well they will fit. My strain is blue widow, and I dont know how the breed generally acts, but this one seems to think its a shrub. lots of splitting growth.. with no topping or fimming both of the ones I have flowering now produced 7-8 big main cola's (and lots of popcorn scattered around)
and at 6 weeks flower are barely 4 ft tall but take up a two foot circle from the bucket lol.

Ok.. so this is where I want people to tell me what Im doing wrong. If I forgot a detail that matters, also please let me know.

--------------------
"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: First time DiY Hydroponic grow would love feedback [Re: Dellik]
    #631341 - 07/11/12 08:04 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

what exactly are you asking?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: First time DiY Hydroponic grow would love feedback [Re: Pilze]
    #631350 - 07/11/12 10:49 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds to me like you're doing all-right for your first grow...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #631361 - 07/11/12 12:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Only problem I'm reading is 4 foot tall plants.
In no way is a t5 ho or not got that kind of penetration.

Which GH line are you using, and at what ppm/ec?

Other than that sounds like you doing a good job.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineDellik
Stranger

Re: First time DiY Hydroponic grow would love feedback [Re: Stoneth]
    #631455 - 07/12/12 03:26 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

using floramicro,florabloom and flora gro as well as floraduo and floralicous plus at about 60% str. (Ie if it calls for 3 tsp per gallon, I only add 2) Ive read a lot about how going full str mostly just wastes money, seeing as the plants dont consume nearly that much, and Im trying to save money.. if this is in error, im willing to listen.

what exactly do you mean? whats wrong with the t5ho's?

--------------------

Edited by Dellik (07/12/12 03:28 AM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#631460 - 07/12/12 07:49 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Just what he said. Flourescent lights lose intensity and penetration abilities after only a few inches away from the bulb. This means that the bottom half of your plant isn't going to receive adequate lighing for its full potential.

Doesn't mean you should change, or that you're doing anything wrong (other than you probably should have flipped to 12/12 a little sooner than you did), its just that most of the people on this forum use HID lights exclusively.

Don't get me wrong: people flower with flouro's all the time, and produce decent results. Its just not going to blow you out of the water like it COULD be doing with more light and better penetration.

Also: are your plants four feet measuring from the floor, or measuring from the top of the bucket?

--------------------
My best run so far

Edited by Tank333 (07/12/12 07:51 AM)

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #631516 - 07/12/12 09:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dellik said:
using floramicro,florabloom and flora gro as well as floraduo and floralicous plus at about 60% str. (Ie if it calls for 3 tsp per gallon, I only add 2) Ive read a lot about how going full str mostly just wastes money, seeing as the plants dont consume nearly that much, and Im trying to save money.. if this is in error, im willing to listen.

what exactly do you mean? whats wrong with the t5ho's?

You're using two base lines together. I've never done that, but with HIDs I tend to run at about 50% str.

T5's are limited when it comes to penetration to about 12 to 16 inches, so unless that 4 foot tall plant is tied down and trained you're losing about 3 foot of prime yield.  Meaning by keeping your plant's canopy trained to the penetration level of your light will give your highest possible yield.

T5's aren't all bad, just not my personal choice.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineDellik
Stranger

Re: First time DiY Hydroponic grow would love feedback [Re: Stoneth]
    #631629 - 07/14/12 01:27 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

@Tank its more like 3 and a half, but thats from bucket to top.  and I didnt think it really was possible to over veg? I mean, other then managing your plants size that is.. I honestly expected, my soil grows were taller(with much less bud) but Im not exactly proud of my soil grows either lol.
@Stoneth I am seeing what you mean, got multiple prime cola's, but the undercarridge is pretty so so. my *plan* is to add side lights to make up for that, but Im worried that will compound the 'bushy' issue.
I thought about doing a scrog with em, rather then need to adjust the light all the time, but I just dont have the time to do all that tying off every day.

is that an issue with the nutes? results seem solid thus far, but as I said, never done hydro befor, and I kinda went with what I had access too/ were recommended to me.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#631631 - 07/14/12 03:11 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, scrog is SO easy! Way less work-intensive than LST was. I wish I had done it before! Lol All I did was push the top back down under the screen with the rest of them. Once they bushed out as far as they were allowed to, I just let them start poking through the screen.

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineDellik
Stranger

Re: First time DiY Hydroponic grow would love feedback [Re: Tank333]
    #631662 - 07/14/12 08:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

scrog would be ideal.. if I were flowering all my plants at the same time, but Im (trying) to set up a rotation so I harvest one 3-4oz plant a week. makes it infeasible to set up a screen in the flower room, unless I mount the screen to each plants individual bucket... not
undo-able but problematic.

On a slightly different topic, I severly underestimated root growth om my veging plants, and had some of them grow toogether, inseperably merging their root systems. I have 6 plants, all aprox 16 inch tall, looking funtastic. hadnt checked my res (which they sit directly over)
In about 10 days, maybe 2 weeks, other then to add water/nutes last week.
looked in last night, to discover that all 6 plants had grown thru the drainage holes in the bottom of their boxes, down the foot and a half, and were resting in the res water. now I know that isnt a absolute tragedy, but on discovering this, I hastily seperated 4 of the six from it siamiese root twin before considering Im probably murdering my plants.

My question is this, if seriously injured, how long before the plant would show signs of its injury? I transplanted the 4 into permanent containers last night, and gently flushed them with nute free water every few hours for the last 16 hours or so. I have two plants left that are still root locked to each other. if my other girls are gonna die, I dont want to lose everything at once, so Im waiting and watching. I was considering just leaving the two together and have them share a container, but Im unsure the risks invovled with that. the containers Im using are 4 and a half gallon, and Im certain they would fit in there.

Advise? I *really* would like to know when Ill see signs if my split plants are dying. I honestly expected to come home tonight, with em wilted and dying. In stead, they look fine. minor stress signs, but less then I would expect from a normal transplant, much less the plant equivelent of a c-section :mad: I had to cut a lot of roots.:frown:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck