Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecannabutterluvr
bongsn'bubs
Loc: G.W. Bush's colon
Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #121212 - 09/12/08 03:19 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

your reflector will probably take up 1', if you do soil your pots will take another 1', a HID would need to be 18"-2' above the tops. you said your closet is 6' tall, so that leaves you with only 2-2.5' for your plants themselves. starting from seed, you'll have to veg for at least six weeks before preflowers show. vertical space may be an issue for you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
    #121344 - 09/12/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: just me]
    #121421 - 09/13/08 12:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Butterlover: Or you could just veg them for say 3 weeks and then flip the lights regardless of pre-flowers O.o. Most indicas don't get over 3 feet. I could grow some bushy sativa hybrids too.

justme: Double voting....you bastard -_-.

The closet itself goes up to bout 9 feet. The bottom of the upper shelf is at 6'.

Pics as promised

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#121423 - 09/13/08 12:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

WOW NICE SETUP :lol:

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#121425 - 09/13/08 12:08 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Awww sad face. Not a setup. Was giving pics of potential space to use.

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#121432 - 09/13/08 12:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i know.

i was just joshin ya

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #121488 - 09/13/08 09:25 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:
Here's how it's gonna look (use your imagination). Take half of your closet and then section off from the waist down with panda film. You now had a crotch level rectangle as it were. I can vent into one of two places. The closet or my room. At this point drilling a hole into walls or ceiling is oh so bad. Apt so no idea where wiring is :eek:

I think you're really going to want to make it work so that you are using the entire height of the closet. When you consider leaving space for the pots, 3'-4' for the plants, and another foot for space between the canopy and your light, not to mention the fact that more vertical space means more room for the heat to rise away from your plants, its just the best thing to try to make happen. Venting into the other space you'd leave in the closet wouldn't accomplish much anyways. You mentioned just leaving the door open is an option - this is your best bet. You could always put up a layer of panda film on the closet side of the doorway to help keep the light in the closet, simply just cutting a hole for the ducting (if you're going to be trying to sleep in the room that the closet is in while the light is on, for example). If light coming from the closet wouldn't be a problem, you'd be better off leaving the doorway uncovered, to help with heat.

Now, you said no room for an A/C, but are you able to condition the air of the room that the closet is in? All that matters is being able to bring down the ambient temperatures.

Quote:

2) What's the difference in heat production between say a 125, 400, and 600 W HID light? What the average temp rise that you see when your light is on as opposed to off?

I'm sure the difference in heat production between a 125 watt and a 600 watt is considerably different, but I'd think you'd be able to only run a plant or two underneath a 125 watt HPS. The HPS will be turning on in a couple hours, so I'll come back with some information on temperatures without the air conditioner. :wink:

Quote:

3) I'd like this to be as self sustaining and low maintenance as possible. That's why I was leaning towards the soil initially here. I would like the plant to grow and thrive and produce but I'm not worried about showing off a 12" cola or having 3 lbs. Is it possible to give a plant good hearty soil, PH adjusted water, and feedings every now and then with some BC line of ferts and have it be okay?

Yeah dude, it should work fine. Nothing wrong with growing in soil. I was just saying if you were going organically, like with making your own teas or using all kinds of different amendments, it might get a little more complicated than simply running soil with a good line of chemical nutrients for a first time.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: cannabutterluvr]
    #121489 - 09/13/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cannabutterluvr said:
a HID would need to be 18"-2' above the tops. 

Actually, by the time the HID is that far away from the plants, the intensity of light that they are getting is considerably lower, and its pretty much a waste of an HID. Here's a chart that demonstrates quite well why it is very important to use air-cooled reflectors and air conditioning so one can keep the lamp as close to the canopy as possible. 7 to 13k of lumens is nothing compared to 30 to 60k of lumens.
:jah:

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: Sirius]
    #121590 - 09/13/08 01:49 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

*EDIT* I only thought I was gonna give you two some good ratings....turns out I was wrong. I can't give till someone else does. But that's okay. You two have a special place in my heart and my growroom. :tongue2:

That good sir is a hot dicking of a chart. 5 for you. And 5 for justme for being mean -_-. Light could be a problem. Mainly cause it's the room I sleep in and there is a very large window in one wall. What may occur is that I just panda film off that section and vent to the closet/rest of room with the door open like you said Sirius. Was even contemplating running ducting across my ceiling from the AC vent the the closet but discarded it as being too extravagant and a little obvious.

All right. My determination has been tested in the fires of doubt, self-recrimination, and justme. Time for the real test of mettle...I need recommendations on lights and whether I should go so far as to invest/make a cool tube. I know they kick ass but again, space is an issue. You now have 1'x4'x6'h to work with. Fuck you lower shelf!

Ordered some other stuff from them and they're cheap and very helpful. Didn't get my stuff for like 2.5 weeks and called them up bitching about a refund. They helped me find it at my stupid apt office cause they misspelled my last name :smile:.

http://www.discount-hydro.com/dept.php?navid=2

Edited by BlargIAmDead (09/13/08 01:54 PM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #121630 - 09/13/08 05:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:
*EDIT* I only thought I was gonna give you two some good ratings....turns out I was wrong. I can't give till someone else does. But that's okay. You two have a special place in my heart and my growroom. :tongue2:

Nah, the problem you were having is that you already gave us a rating, so it wouldn't let you do it again. All you could do with it is edit it, or delete it and then make a new one. :wink:

Quote:

Light could be a problem. Mainly cause it's the room I sleep in and there is a very large window in one wall. What may occur is that I just panda film off that section and vent to the closet/rest of room with the door open like you said Sirius. Was even contemplating running ducting across my ceiling from the AC vent the the closet but discarded it as being too extravagant and a little obvious.

You could also panda film the door way, and use the whole closet for growing. :wink:

Quote:

I need recommendations on lights and whether I should go so far as to invest/make a cool tube. I know they kick ass but again, space is an issue. You now have 1'x4'x6'h to work with. Fuck you lower shelf!

I'd really hate to recommend going with a 600 watt HPS and it just creating too much heat for your situation. If you can pull air conditioned air into the grow room from your room, this would help, but a problem might be that it will require cooling your room down too low for your own comfort. I wish I could get some better information on how hot ours is getting, but I wasn't allowed to keep the plants out from underneath the cool-tube long enough to really determine. I do know that the ambient temperature before the light turned on was 23.5C/74F, and that it had reached 30C/86F eight inches underneath the lamp. This was with the air conditioner off and the 215cfm extractor fan sucking air out from the cool-tube. I suspect that the temperature would have risen more than that, but it did look like it was stabilizing.

I can say, though, that if you're only going to have four square feet of floor space, a 600 watt HPS will be more than what you'll need as far as light is concerned, since a 600 watt in a square meter is more than optimal. Also, you mention space is an issue, but a cool-tube isn't going to take up any more space than your lamp was going to take up anyways, and it'd definitely be necessary to help keep your temperatures down.

I'd still suggest finding a way to cool the room down and go with a 600 watt though. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#122006 - 09/14/08 02:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I refuse to put a 600W light in my closet after what you said in the beginning of your grow log :P. You said you tried to put the light with cool tube in a cabinet that is 1x.5x2h meters which if basic math serves me comes out to about a 1m^3. I have 1'x4'x6'h which if google conversions serves me comes out to 0.679604318 m^3. You've already attempted this feat and proved it to be a losing battle. I say GOOD DAY SIR! :smile:

Might have swallow my pride and manly desires to have the largest phallic object I can, and just resign to a 400 or 250 HPS. Sucky thing is that it's hard to find a decent bulb. All they have is the Kroger brand of HPS:mad2:.

Also, I have a 4 ft^2 footprint. If I put a 400W in there....that's 100W/ft^2. That's pretty much double the standard 50W/ft^2. I think the 250 will be fine for now. If and when I build a larger grow room I'll come back you with hat in hand. :wink:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #122133 - 09/14/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey now, I was saying that a 600 watt would be too much for that small of a space. I was advocating using the whole closet. :grin:

Personally, I'd go with the 400 watt HPS, considering what the standard is, and help make up for the small amount of plants you'll be growing with a bigger yield. Of course, there is still the question of heat.  250 watts is definitely your safe bet though. Nothing worse than struggling to find ways to manage too much heat - fought that for weeks. I'm sure, eventually, you'll be boxing in a window A/C and running that whole closet. :smirk:

Now that you've settled that, let's move onto the fun part: what kind of genetics are you leaning towards? :ganja:

I've noticed you were looking for a more indica dominant strain, but do enjoy sativas and were wondering about flipping to 12/12 early. You shouldn't have a problem with this, so definitely consider sativa-leaning plants an option. It sounds like you're willing to invest, but not looking for anything crazy expensive. While I haven't personally grown them, Paradise Seeds is said to have some great strains that are a little cheaper ($50-80). Same thing goes for Chimera. We're looking forward to try out Mental Floss. If you're willing to spend around $100, then most breeder's stuff is available to you, Sensi, Mr. Nice, Serious, Sagarmatha...

Really, though, what kind of stuff are you looking for? :jah:

--------------------

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#122189 - 09/14/08 07:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Really, though, what kind of stuff are you looking for? :jah:

cuz sir sirius has got it ALL :hi5:

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#122451 - 09/15/08 01:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well I was decided on LowRyder for a bit but that is one point of the experiment that I hadn't thought about any more till now. Thanks for remindin' me Sirius. And why don't YOU provide some genetics justme :laugh:?....Not those kind of genetics, put it back in your pants -_-.

I've heard good things about Green House Seeds and then I've heard some people call them pretty much scam artists. Regularly troll seedbay. Will look into those other seed places for sure.

Put some stuff together on and looks like for a nice cool tube, electric ballast, and bulb it's gonna be about 300 bucks +shipping from CA.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #122506 - 09/15/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:
Well I was decided on LowRyder for a bit but that is one point of the experiment that I hadn't thought about any more till now.

I'd definitely recommend trying something other than Lowryder.... unless its a really good cross with something else, it just isn't going to be so potent, and its not like you'll be playing around with strict limitations on what to grow...

Quote:

I've heard good things about Green House Seeds and then I've heard some people call them pretty much scam artists. Regularly troll seedbay. Will look into those other seed places for sure.

There's nothing really wrong with Greenhouse Seeds. The Greenhouse haters are just snobs that are used to having elite cuts and spend all their time hitting refresh on Seedbay to buy whatever $300 rarity drops, collectors basically. They kind of lose sight of the fact that, even though Greenhouse's strains might not be the best, it isn't as though they aren't really good. Most of them disagree with their business model, anyways.

Quote:

Put some stuff together on and looks like for a nice cool tube, electric ballast, and bulb it's gonna be about 300 bucks +shipping from CA.

When you say electric ballast, do you mean a regular, magnetic coil one, or one of those electronic ballasts? If you're on a more limited budget, I'd suggest just going with the old fashioned magnetic ballasts. They are twice as expensive and tried and true. Digital ballasts are definitely a step up, but it isn't as though they are that great.

Anyways, you mentioned trolling Seedbay, so I'm compelled to point out one of the best deals you'll be able to find around right now. Check out the listings for Reservoir Seeds, and notice the Double Strawberry Diesel for $39. Probably the best genetics you'll find at that price, basically because he produced a hell of a lot of seeds.... But don't take my word for it... :smirk:

You definitely can't go wrong with Rez's stuff. :jah:

--------------------

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#122527 - 09/15/08 10:25 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:
Well I was decided on LowRyder for a bit but that is one point of the experiment that I hadn't thought about any more till now.

I'd definitely recommend trying something other than Lowryder.... unless its a really good cross with something else, it just isn't going to be so potent, and its not like you'll be playing around with strict limitations on what to grow...

ditto. youve got space. utilize it

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#122620 - 09/15/08 02:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Here's the beast I was looking at. Also, they sell a 270W decent light with the 250W ballast as a kinda kit. You think it'd be okay to stick the 270 in the 250?

http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=490&navid=44

Again, doing it mainly for the heat concerns. If it can give me less heat and last longer like it claims I'll shell out the extra 50 bucks or so.

And as for that strawberry diesel :drooling:

InvisibleYasi
Harbinger
Male User Gallery

#122723 - 09/15/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

270 is too much for a 250 ballast. You can only use 250 or less with wattage.

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: Yasi]
    #122792 - 09/15/08 11:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

See I woulda guessed the other way. You could use a larger bulb in a smaller ballast but it would run inefficiently. Whereas if you have a small bulb in a big ballast it's liable to splode.

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#122893 - 09/16/08 03:13 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

BOOOOM

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom