Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlargIAmDead

Decide My First Grow
    #115833 - 08/29/08 01:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Alright all you growers out there. This will be my first grow and so that you have some personal stake in the thread it's time for: Decide My Grow!

Here are the basic guidelines. I will be using an AeroGarden cause of footprint and an ounce lasts me two to three months anyway. Here is what I have.

(All the following are from an aborted attempt at a hydro setup. No space in new place :frown:)
  • 50 lb bag of LECA  (speaking of which if anyone wants like half of it they can have it for cheap/free)
  • Pump
  • BC Grow, Boost, and Bloom
  • 8 rockwool cubes (medium sized)

What I need from you stoners and stone-ettes.

• A strain of weed. If I'm going to go ahead and invest the money may as well get good genetics. Was thinking of Low Ryder for all the major reasons <br> but if anyone else knows of a good indica or hybrid that remains mostly short please let me know. Also, quick question: I know I probably don't want to get a sativa <br> or sativa dominant (even though I loves them :frown:) but if I take my lovely babies, let them veg for say only a week or two and then flip them <br> will it hinder their growth? I know it'll affect yield but will they flower, bud, and complete? Another thing, don't suggest <br> White-Mako-Blueberry-Hawaiin-Grandaddy-Kush which costs me 175 euro and three years in an Amsterdam red light district to obtain. :blowjob:
  • Which seed company/bank?
  • Should I get feminized seeds so I don't have to worry about pulling males?
  • Which AeroGarden? The main differences being rootspace and height that lamp will reach. Chances are I'll be modifying the cord to hook up to a timer so I can give <br> them the correct photo-period instead of the closest approximation. I wold also like to not modify the lamp stand itself to neatness and aesthetics.
  • Should I use the pellets that come with the AeroGarden or should I attempt to go ahead and use my BC products?
  • And finally should I go ahead and plug all the holes and go for a mini-SOG or should I have just three filled and go for the LST spiral of DEATH?

If enough responses are forthcoming I promise to document every step and put up a growlog the likes of which this site has never SEEN!  :minigun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: Decide My First Grow [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #115834 - 08/29/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i've used drchronic personally with good results to western US, and heard good things about seedbay.

you could do something other than an aerogarden using the same space and probably do better IMO.  not to mention money saved by not buying an aerogarden could go to supplies that will be useful.

OfflineCoaster
I'm Back Baby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sativa Central Flag
Re: Decide My First Grow [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #115835 - 08/29/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

im guessing only indica wors with aero garden
or does it support really tall plants

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: Decide My First Grow [Re: Coaster]
    #115836 - 08/29/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

dont rule them out, you can make bushy sativas!  jusst gotta bend them and trim them right. 

this is my super silver haze and its quite bushy.  and thats a kitten, not a cat, so you could keep a small sativa relatively easily if you want.

OfflineCoaster
I'm Back Baby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sativa Central Flag
Re: Decide My First Grow [Re: yellownotepad]
    #115838 - 08/29/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thats a sum pretty ssh u gots der

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: Decide My First Grow [Re: Coaster]
    #116037 - 08/30/08 04:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yes yes it is.  and i realized i took way too many clones when i pruned it after that photo.  like 19 cuttings rooting in my bubbler right now i dunno wtf im even gonna do with all them lol :strokebeard:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #116047 - 08/30/08 06:45 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was moved from The Smoke Lounge.

Reason:
Cultivation needs the posts! :smile:

InvisibleUns4ne
King of Twisted Irony
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: Sirius]
    #116195 - 08/30/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Aerogarden, sativa = They sell an attachment.
In a first grow use use bagseed, It's not going to give you what you want, but you will learn shitloads more about the in(s) and outs of gwrowing, than any of us can tell you.

--------------------
Fighting Terrorism One Seed At A Time
Big Bang, Arjan's Haze #3 Growlog
My First Grow(Complete)
Never let school get in the way of your education.-Mark Twain

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: Uns4ne]
    #116493 - 08/31/08 04:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Okay so I guess I have to explain myself now....damn you! My current attempt consists of a subwoofer box with CFL's. The downside is this: I have no powertools to make modifications to the box and it gets way too damn hot inside even with a fan blowing in 24/7. I want something that is self-sufficient and yes I know I could get a 400 watt HPS/MH and several pots and Fox Farm. I could do all this....but for the space. I could section off a piece of my closet...and have all my clothes smell like pot. I could put it out in the open....but my room mate has non-cool friends and family. So we are back again to where we started. The key word here in the title was DECIDE....not waffle around and go "You could do better" :smile:. I don't need several ounces. I barely need one ounce. And yes I could grow from bagseed. Which I may end up doing....But there are several questions not relating to genetics that you can answer :laugh:.

So give me at least one of the aforementioned pieces of information in future posts please.

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#116689 - 09/01/08 01:30 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

you should do a small double tub type box using two opaque storage bins (you choose the size), mount CFLs inside, and use small PC fans and a small diy carbon scrubber for your ventilation system.  use hempy buckets if you wanna do something like hydro, or soil if you are so inclined.  i think any kind of hydro with pumps and things would probably waste valuable space. 

if you aren't familiar with hempy buckets, its a container filled with perlite and a drain placed on the side 1-2 inches above the bottom.  you hand water it with nute water as you would mix up for a hydro system, and it supposedly grows quite well (i just started trying this, but a lot of forums seem to like it).

you could probably fit two plants inside something like that, it would be small enough to stash in the closet, have enough height to not have to do crazy LST stuff, and you should have no problem keeping temps down.  i have a single storage bin (so half the air volume you'd have) and one single PC fan running on a 7.5 volt power adapter (so its running at like 62% speed) and the temps are the same as ambient with a 42w cfl in there.  its where i've got two tiny clones (freshly rooted) budding for a tester smoke.   

disclaimer - im no expert, someone may jump in to correct me on this.

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: yellownotepad]
    #120266 - 09/10/08 02:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well as it turns out I now have $600 that I thought was gone. Also, I have a section of closet that is 1' w x 4' l x 6' h. But I'll have problem with heat dissipation. Live in an apt and they wouldn't be too keen with me cutting a large hole in the roof to vent. Can't fit an AC in there. Could vent directly to my room but that could suck. Still looking at the AeroGarden like a crack fiend eyeballin' a cat.

So theoretically I could panda film the carpet, hang a light from a preexisting structure, get pots and Fox Farm and grow in a line rather than a square.

Or get AeroGarden and just stick it on a shelf in the closet.

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
    #120436 - 09/10/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

did u chose a strain already?

i vote PPP

my favorite strain by far for years.

never done it indoors tho:shrug:

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: just me]
    #120664 - 09/11/08 09:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Right now i dunno wtf im even gonna do with all them lol

grow them, sell them, or send them someone who deserves them :laugh:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: coda]
    #120906 - 09/11/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Okay kiddos. New installment. Been thinking. Now I've got about $400-600 of expendable income. Here are your new options. I'll even give them numbers. If your post doesn't contain a number from my post....:spank:

1) "Go with the AeroGarden idea."
Yeah that's right puss out and go home to your measly half to ounce of bud.

2) "Go with soil. It's the shit!"
All organic Fox Farm style 125 to 600 W HPS! Ain't nothing tastes like organic!

3) "Go with a DWC via a 5 gallon bucket net and airstone"
Real pros go with hydros.

So I want to see a 1....a 2.....or a 3....in all posts. Now this is XOR so only one can be true. For all you non-Comp. Sci. people no "123 lol" posts

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#121021 - 09/12/08 12:00 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

2 FTW!!!

--------------------

InvisibleUns4ne
King of Twisted Irony
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #121105 - 09/12/08 08:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I say mix it up a bit and go with 3.

--------------------
Fighting Terrorism One Seed At A Time
Big Bang, Arjan's Haze #3 Growlog
My First Grow(Complete)
Never let school get in the way of your education.-Mark Twain

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #121120 - 09/12/08 09:45 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:
Okay kiddos. New installment. Been thinking. Now I've got about $400-600 of expendable income. Here are your new options. I'll even give them numbers. If your post doesn't contain a number from my post....:spank:

4) "Its your first grow, so go with coco"
It even rhymes. :lol:

If not #4, than #2, but the main train of thought on this is that it is your first grow, and the basic stuff is going to be a little challenging, so complicating the matter by needing to worry about extra elements like aerating buckets of water, or needing a lot of different organic amendments, or removing some of the buffer zones that help cushion the plants from mistakes, like growing in nothing but water or even aeroponics, is potentially going to make things less manageable for someone just starting. I think it takes the fun out of growing if you've developed a problem with your plants that has complex origins and will be difficult to sort out.

This is why I'd go with something like coco, or a soil grow, where you are using a line of organic chemical nutrients. I find coco more preferable, because you're going to get better results due to coco's ability to hold a perfect saturation of water while, at the same time, giving the roots plenty of air. Also, coco will give you some of the more basic lessons that you'll need to have down pat going into hydroponic grows, like the aforementioned DWC, since its soilless and the pH levels will be pretty much the same.

As for what to specifically get regarding lighting and ventilation and everything, it really is a question of your budget. The difference in the costs of ballasts themselves means that you'd be paying around $70 for a 150 watt HPS ballast, but only about $100 for a 600 watt HPS ballast, with the difference between the two being astronomical. A 600 watt HPS in a 3ft x 3ft area would give some great yields. Of course, you're going to need to have an extractor fan that can remove at least twice the volume of air in your grow area in one minute, and you could easily be spending over $100 on that, with about the same amount going towards a carbon filter, which would be a necessity if odor is any kind of security concern. Then you'd be looking at $50-100 for your reflector, $50 for your bulb (I personally got two so there is always a back up in case one burns out, having no light for days to weeks while you're waiting on shipping isn't an option), about $50 for a good set of nutrients, not to mention the cost of your coco or soil (at least another $20), pots, panda film, etc. etc. etc.... Some sort of pH meter would be essential, there's $50, although some kind of test kit could definitely get you by...

Basically, if you're going with HID lighting, the difference in cost between a 150 watt and a 600 watt setup isn't going to be that different (while going from 600 to 1000 definitely is :eek:), and it'd just be wrong to sell yourself short as far as that goes. However, what you would really need to be aware of is the difference in the amount of heat that will be produced by HID. The extractor fan will already be helping with that, if you get an air-cooled reflector, but the possibility of needing air conditioning is definitely there.

I really don't know if $400-600 would cover everything you would need, if you went the HID route. Definitely a good chunk of it, though. If you check out my grow log, all the stuff there cost about $1200. One thing you could do now, though, is get everything you'd need minus the lighting, and work with CFL's until you have more money to cover that stuff. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Decide My First Grow (moved) [Re: Sirius]
    #121125 - 09/12/08 10:07 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Alright. Good start. I knew you had it in you Growery :laugh:. Now to start tearing ideas apart...Or more accurately Sirius' idea. Sorry. Your's was longest :frown:.

1) No room for an AC.

Here's how it's gonna look (use your imagination). Take half of your closet and then section off from the waist down with panda film. You now had a crotch level rectangle as it were. I can vent into one of two places. The closet or my room. At this point drilling a hole into walls or ceiling is oh so bad. Apt so no idea where wiring is :eek:

2) What's the difference in heat production between say a 125, 400, and 600 W HID light? What the average temp rise that you see when your light is on as opposed to off?

3) I'd like this to be as self sustaining and low maintenance as possible. That's why I was leaning towards the soil initially here. I would like the plant to grow and thrive and produce but I'm not worried about showing off a 12" cola or having 3 lbs. Is it possible to give a plant good hearty soil, PH adjusted water, and feedings every now and then with some BC line of ferts and have it be okay?

Also extractor fans aren't all that expensive. Was just looking at some 300 CFM for like 50 bucks. From my calculations my "room" is about 12 cubic feet. I THINK 300 CFM will cut it. :wink:

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#121143 - 09/12/08 10:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

whats waist high to you?

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#121205 - 09/12/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Bout 3'. I could extend this to 6" (which I would have to do if I did the DWC with the 5 gallon bucket) by removing a shelf (which is easy to do) but it would be easier to vent heat with just the wire shelf and the light hanging from that. I'll put up some pictures later tonight when I'm at home. So imagine this if you will:

From the ground up we have carpet, then a layer of panda film to prevent that awesome water damage, then my pots/buckets with my light attached to or sitting on top of a wire shelf that is about 3 feet off the ground. Don't know how hot the wires would get but that's probably a bad idea to sit it right on top like that. Will probably go with hanging. Will hang panda film on the front of the shelf  and secure at top with Duck Tape and bottom with college textbooks :laugh:. Will vent with a 4" inline duct fan that is rated for 80 CFM that is currently hooked up to my fail of a grow cab :thumbdown:. This will vent from my 1x4x3h to an area that is approx 4x4x8h (and if need be will just leave the door open and it can vent into my room and the rest of the apt.

Ideas? Criticisms? Please throw rocks at this idea. I want to make it as strong as possible. Would rather be a scarred battle-nub than one who wastes $ that is so precious to me at this point.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds