Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

Atheists ... ?
    #578839 - 08/16/11 07:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How are atheists so sure that there is no god?

There are believers and non-believers, and the 'non-believers', believe that there
is no god. An atheist may say, "Well God is just a man-made concept created by humans
because of their own fear of non-existence." -- sure that may be true, but I don't
find that being any more legitimate than believers saying "There has to be a God, because just look at all of this!"

Sure, it all comes down to the definition of "God", and there are definitely some religions
that are utterly absurd that they are not worth mentioning. Some may define god as being
'everything' or both 'everything and nothing' or an entity that encompasses both good and
evil, such as the Gnostic Abraxas -- ΑΒΡΑΞΑΣ. Some may see God simply as just
consciousness.

But what proof do the atheists have that makes them so sure that there isn't a god, besides deductive reasoning and logic?

And lets skip the whole notion of there being a 'burden of proof', since this isn't a
debate of any sort, it's more of a search, a (quest)ion many are searching to find an answer to. Is there or isn't there?

Neither side really knows for sure, and I think that both sides hold their
beliefs firmly to ease their own death anxiety.

So why haven't atheists converted to agnosticism?

IDK, therefore :ancientaliens:

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeekEr
HandBanana
 User Gallery

Loc: canada Flag
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #578840 - 08/16/11 07:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm about to head out for the night, but i will join this conversation. Theres a lot more to Atheistism then a lot people know. Its knowing the educated people to explain/put up a good debate. But i never push it on anyone. Opinion to each his own right :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: BeekEr]
    #578842 - 08/16/11 07:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Cool, I don't know too much about atheism other than that they don't believe in a god.
I'm looking forward to reading your replies! :thumbup:

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #578851 - 08/16/11 08:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Religion is such a tricky topic to discuss. Now, I don't believe in really any religion, I don't wanna even call myself atheist. The reason I don't is I don't want to be associated with any religious group. I think it's personal opinion, if you find that believing in god makes hardships a little easier than more power to you. It's nice to have something to fall back on or have to faith in. Just not my cup of tea really. There is one thing that really bugs me about radical religious people. I can't stand hearing about the people that stand outside of soldiers funerals and call them baby killers and say they are happy their dead. Just really bugs me.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #578853 - 08/16/11 08:27 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You can be an Atheist and Agnostic both, they aren't mutually exclusive.

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

#578854 - 08/16/11 08:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well because they do not think there is any proof of a god.
Just like a theist believes in a god, because they think there is proof.
Which is why a lot of people are agnostic,
because they don't think there is enough proof for either side.
Atheism doesn't really have to do with other beliefs, other than they do not believe in a god.
Personal beliefs go deeper than just god or no god though.

--------------------

Invisibleltd
 User Gallery

#578855 - 08/16/11 08:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yeah

i can't say that there is no god for a fact

it's just what i choose to believe

or i could say

there is no god because aliens :ancientaliens:

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: ltd]
    #578866 - 08/16/11 09:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

We will all find out in the end :shrug:

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: BlueBerry_Swisher]
    #578872 - 08/16/11 09:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

A7X said:
We will all find out in the end :shrug:

unless we dont

:shrug:

therefor aliens

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #578892 - 08/16/11 10:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i believe in a god. but not one thats a part of an organized religion. i have my own beliefs about it. kind of like, everything that is good, sorta.  but i think that somewhere along the line, the idea of god gets warped into a controlling mechanism and a business. and thats where it loses its value. it's importance.

i for sure believe in a god though.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: still beLIEve]
    #578895 - 08/16/11 10:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think everyone has their own concept of god. Even if they don't call it god.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: iStoner]
    #578896 - 08/16/11 10:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

iStoner said:
I think everyone has their own concept of god. Even if they don't call it god.

Usually they call it "Harry's sexual prowess."

--------------------

OfflineSlave of Cthulhu
Marijuana Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Loc: R'lyeh
    #578902 - 08/17/11 12:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

IDGAF, that's how I see it. I could care less if there is or isn't a god. I just live life to simply see the end. Who cares who made the universe, for all we know it could have made itself or simply not exist at all. It's one of those never ending discussions that go in a million different ways because everyone see's things differently. I just say, fuck it. The idea of God matters not to me.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: Slave of Cthulhu]
    #578906 - 08/17/11 12:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The book of DILLIGAF will lead us all to freedom one day, I know it.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineSlave of Cthulhu
Marijuana Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: Stoneth]
    #578907 - 08/17/11 12:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Damn right!

--------------------

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

#578931 - 08/17/11 06:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Personally, I would call myself an Agnostic Atheist, meaning I do not believe in the existence of any diety, but do not deny it as a possibility. Atheist and Agnostic seperately just don't seem to get that point across. A lot of atheists I know fit under the same description, they just still call themselves atheists. With everything I've come to understand in my life, there's no reason for me to suspect the existence of any diety, but that's open to change.

Really, there isn't enough proof for either side, science is doing it's best and religion is just lost in the woods somewhere (albeit, extremely profitable woods). If I ever do come to believe in a diety, it'll only be through evidence provided in the scientific method, and no amount of things I don't understand will compensate for that, including any 'religious experience' I might end up having.

/Cuts myself off before I go off on a rant about how I utterly despise organized religion for almost everything it stands for :shakefist:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: Cage]
    #578936 - 08/17/11 07:13 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

People focus on all the bad shit religions have done, not unjustly, but it's not all bad.

Before modern medicine churches were pretty much the only hospital you could go to, otherwise you are doing bush medicine.

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: DungenessDank]
    #578938 - 08/17/11 07:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
People focus on all the bad shit religions have done, not unjustly, but it's not all bad.

Before modern medicine churches were pretty much the only hospital you could go to, otherwise you are doing bush medicine.

That's exactly why I said almost everything. :shrug:

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: Cage]
    #578968 - 08/17/11 10:50 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know of any atheist that would profess to know that there is no God.  We just don't believe in one, it has nothing to do with knowing which is why I dislike the term agnostic. Even Richard Dawkins would not profess absolute certainty against the existence of God.  Also the burden of proof is on the religious.  It makes about as much sense to be agnostic about God as it does to be agnostic about fairies.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (08/17/11 10:54 AM)

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: Atheists ... ? [Re: THEBats]
    #579040 - 08/17/11 03:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cage said:
Personally, I would call myself an Agnostic Atheist, meaning I do not believe in the existence of any diety, but do not deny it as a possibility.

I don't understand this. I mean I understand your viewpoint, because I have a similar view,
but why not just call yourself Agnostic?

I mean, an 'Agnostic Atheist' doesn't make sense to me, either you believe that there is no
god or that there is, or admit that you just don't know.

I understand that there are special kinds of 'atheism' like 'agnostic atheism', but to me
that's similar to a christian who isn't really a christian, but a catholic, or baptist, or
some other denomination of a religion.

I'm speaking about pure atheism.

Quote:

THEBats said:
I don't know of any atheist that would profess to know that there is no God.  We just don't believe in one, it has nothing to do with knowing which is why I dislike the term agnostic. Even Richard Dawkins would not profess absolute certainty against the existence of God.

Well there must be a reason why atheists do not believe in a god, and that reason most
likely is that the facts are strong against such a beings existence. They don't have to
profess that they know there is no god, it's their belief that is key here.

They believe that there is no god, and how could they be so sure? Especially since most
atheists are scientifically grounded?

To me it sounds like Richard Dawkins leans more on the agnostic side, since he even claims
that he isn't certain.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order