Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: dutc2006]
    #352911 - 01/25/10 07:32 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

maybe I'll throw some banana peels next to my seedlings to see if they all come out female :lol:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: dutc2006]
    #353001 - 01/25/10 02:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You are so close it's not funny. Now there is no way to add ethylene to cause more females. Ethylene is the hormone I was talking about earlier. What gabrillic acid and sts do is block ethylene to cause the male flowers.

The environmental factors that influence gender are: (These are claims by the Dutch Passion Seed Company)

* a higher nitrogen concentration will give more females.
    * a higher potassium concentration will give more males.
    * a higher humidity will give more females.
    * a lower temperature will give more females.
    * more blue light will give more females.
    * Fewer hours of light will give more females.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Magash]
    #353033 - 01/25/10 05:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

maybe I'll throw some banana peels next to my seedlings to see if they all come out female

Ah, the good 'ol banana religion.  I always laugh when I see pics of seedlings with banana's around the base of their stems :wink:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: coda]
    #353098 - 01/25/10 07:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:grin:  I too have heard of people putting banana peels by their seedlings hoping for females, it is pretty funny how desperate some people can get, and gullible too.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#353151 - 01/25/10 08:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ripe bananas do give off ethylene gas though... It can help ripen other fruits.  My money says cannabis just can't absorb it like that.... Though would a handful of banana peels lead to faster flowering times?

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
    #386937 - 03/19/10 03:28 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Ahh, finnaly someone else that has experienced this. I kno this post is somewhat old but it just so happens I got into it with people on another site about this very subject. Years ago I read in Jorge Cervantes book that envirometal factors play a role in determining plant sex in a small paragraph about how to get more females from seed. The factors where this: Less hours of light ie:14, more nitrogen, higher humidity, more blue light, lower temps and even growing medium moisture. This sparked enough of my interest to try it. The first time I went small using two different enviroments one being the test and one being completely opposite ie: 18hours, low nitrogen more potassium, warmer temps lower humidity ect ect, bacically everything he said encouraged more males I did and everything that encouraged more females I did (on the test crop)Now he claims the factors take charge the moment the plant grown from seed has three pairs of 'true leaves' not including codyledons and you should make these changes at this point or earlier then revert to normal conditions once the plant has pre flowers, I used 14 hours on the test crops then changed to 16 thats just me with the 16 tho but I would advise using 14 at the change, less will cause the plant to flower most likely. I did this test 3 seperate times each time using more seed and everytime I got much more females from the test crop and almost opposite on the other. Like you, the first time I said "well it must be luck" after doing it 2 more times I now believe there is much more than luck. I now only use this method when using regular seed and have contiued to experience great results, however, I dont normally advise people to do this because I get pounced on by people who believe the sex is predetermined and I feel Im waisting my breath. It works, I kno that, I use it, but I think its gonna be a long time before people pick up on it as people can be very stubborn. I just wish the ones who attack my findings whould try it for themselves and they would see also but, instead I get talked to like its my first year growing and im crazy lol. It reminds me alot of the coir wars that were going on years ago at shoomery when people claimed it was only a casing an not a substrate lol now we see its the opposite. Ive had no problems with anyone here, it was another site that damn near shuned me for this but no love lost as the people there were obviously ignorant to many things lol. Like ive said from the start, I may be wrong but how do you explain my findings? luck? I find that hard to believe so ill continue to do it this way, hell in a few years it may be the way to go well see.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Union420]
    #386942 - 03/19/10 03:35 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Woops, dint realize there was a second page lol, seems Mag already beat me to it, so Mag have you tried this as well? Oh and yes it was originally claimed by dutch passion thats what Jorge said too in a short thank you to them. Try telling people at grasscity it works watch what happens lmao, Growery is where its at! love this place.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Union420]
    #386948 - 03/19/10 03:48 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Nice post Union420!

A little hard to read (due to no spacing), but you got some interesting results from your experiment.

You should do a grow log specifically on this whole "sex is determined by environmental factors" claim, because I would love to see it in action. Would you be interested in starting a Grow Journal at the lovely Growery? I think a lot of people would like to know the results: its not something that most people do. And with all the males growers have to kill, it would increase crop production (if environment *really* effects the sex).

I don't even think Mag has done a detailed, photo-logged experiment on this subject, but I could be wrong. Feel free to direct to such an experiment Mag if I'm wrong.

Good Stuff Union! :thumbup:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #386962 - 03/19/10 04:34 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

My bad on the spacing lol, I got going and was happy to finnaly see somethig on the subject. I will likely do a grow journal soon as I get a camera (I love photos too) im hard on cash so theres no tellin when that will be. I would deff like to get this spreading cause as I said thers gotta be somthing to it. Right now im working on something else but after that I most deff will create a detailed log. Thanks

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds