Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offline31okiL
Stranger
Decline in Culture
    #371656 - 02/23/10 03:52 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Ok, is it just me or is the West facing a decline in culture? It seems in the past there were more individuals that we glorified that actually deserved it.

I mean, look how we've changed. Instead of Tupac and Public Enemy, we have Lil Wayne and T Pain. Instead of Bob Dylan and Rage Against the Machine, we have Nickelback and Hinder. Instead of listening to intelligent, well thought out writers like Cornel West and Noam Chomsky, we listen to self righteous self-promoters like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh.

Can someone please tell me what has happened to people like Huey Newton, George Jackson, Che Gevaura, Gandhi, Abbie Hoffman, Malcolm X, and John Lennon? Can someone please tell me some similar individuals alive today?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

Re: Decline in Culture [Re: 31okiL]
    #371666 - 02/23/10 04:06 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

I agree, and I think the internet is largely the culprit. We live in a society of instant gratification which leads us to not really appreciate everything we have and are capable of.

Let me get a few more beers in and I shall expound.

--------------------

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: 512/atx
    #371677 - 02/23/10 04:33 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Are you talking about the US, or western civilization at large?

--------------------
this is me on a bar, 3 methrolls (up 4 days), ketamine, and some good acid two years ago.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #371683 - 02/23/10 04:41 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

31okiL said:
Ok, is it just me or is the West facing a decline in culture? It seems in the past there were more individuals that we glorified that actually deserved it.

I mean, look how we've changed. Instead of Tupac and Public Enemy, we have Lil Wayne and T Pain. Instead of Bob Dylan and Rage Against the Machine, we have Nickelback and Hinder. Instead of listening to intelligent, well thought out writers like Cornel West and Noam Chomsky, we listen to self righteous self-promoters like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh.

Can someone please tell me what has happened to people like Huey Newton, George Jackson, Che Gevaura, Gandhi, Abbie Hoffman, Malcolm X, and John Lennon? Can someone please tell me some similar individuals alive today?

I personally like Obama, him closing Guantanamo Bay was pretty sweet. Anyone who disagrees with closing a detention facility that breaks international law is a moron. Torture: Ineffective and Illegal.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Re: Decline in Culture [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #371685 - 02/23/10 04:48 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Closing an illegal detainment facility is good yea, but I doubt he is really any different than every other self-serving politician on the take. I'm not coming from either left or right, but our current political system is run afoul with corruption & greed, there will never be a perfect world, and people will always be suffering somewhere, but there should be accountability within the government, which there is none.

--------------------
this is me on a bar, 3 methrolls (up 4 days), ketamine, and some good acid two years ago.

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Re: Decline in Culture [Re: beatyou]
    #371686 - 02/23/10 04:51 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

The everyday citizen is getting royally fucked each and every day by uncle sam, but a country divided in half cannot unite and hold its leaders responsible, instead we argue amongst ourselves over pity wedge-issues like abortion/gay marriage/etc

--------------------

OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austin , TX
    #371687 - 02/23/10 04:53 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

the best days of america are over , now its time for chaos and starvation :frown:

--------------------

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Re: Decline in Culture [Re: Homosapian]
    #371689 - 02/23/10 04:57 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Well, not necessarily starvation and chaos. We are the wealthiest country in the world, but world power and wealth shifts constantly throughout history, no empire lasts forever. I don't believe all of a sudden we will become a third-world nation, but slowly decline over time, we are already rapidly falling behind the rest of the developed world in things like mathematics, science, city infrastructure, etc. The US is still the best place on earth for a lot of things, I'm not a basher, but I think the "we are #1" days are numbered.

This is more on topic with this threads original intent:

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#371691 - 02/23/10 05:01 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

beatyou said:
The everyday citizen is getting royally fucked each and every day by uncle sam, but a country divided in half cannot unite and hold its leaders responsible, instead we argue amongst ourselves over pity wedge-issues like abortion/gay marriage/etc

And often those wedge issues are easily figured out with simple questions.

"If abortion is illegal, what stops people from breaking the law and performing abortion? If a girl really honestly wants an abortion, is a law going to stop her?"

"Give a logical, non gender discriminating reason to not have gay marriage."

--------------------

OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austin , TX
Re: Decline in Culture [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #371693 - 02/23/10 05:05 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

i dont think we are the wealthiest country in the world..
we owe china about a trillion bucks , and whats up with that half pig half mutant creature?

--------------------

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

#371700 - 02/23/10 05:17 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

We have by far the biggest economy in the world, sort by GDP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#371703 - 02/23/10 05:27 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Homosapian said:
i dont think we are the wealthiest country in the world..
we owe china about a trillion bucks , and whats up with that half pig half mutant creature?

Our GDP dwarfs China's, And all other countries at that.

--------------------

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

#371705 - 02/23/10 05:28 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

you make a good point, but debt and credit are what make the wheels of capitalism spin, however. The average joe would work a lot less if they didn't have a 30-year mortgage hanging over their head, a car payment, and $20k of credit card bills.

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#372178 - 02/24/10 02:17 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

I never thought of the West to be very cultured sorry to say. :shrug:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Re: Decline in Culture [Re: TomCollins]
    #372297 - 02/24/10 08:25 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Your definition of culture is very different from mine then...

Culture (Anthropology) - the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.

I will agree that the culture is getting very dumbed down and 'lowest common denominator' meaning the west is becoming more and more homogeneous, which is very fucking boring, and waters down the culture at large. Some things I do to combat this are not eating fast food, don't buy gasoline or drive unless I absolutely have to (the car culture is why America is fat as fuck), and if I do eat out at a restaurant, I only hit up local places, never national chains. Theres tons of stuff we can do to combat this pathetic & shallow consumer culture we've become in our every day lives.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#372299 - 02/24/10 08:29 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

beatyou said:

fuckin A MEN brother. everyone gets so caught up in platform issues during elections we forget to look at real solutions the rest of the time.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale