Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: kydub]
    #33898 - 05/19/08 01:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

New setup for now - stuck 'em in a rubbermaid container and flipped the powerstrip over to get the light right next to 'em. I also ran a rube out of my ultrasonic and tee'd it off to get some extra humidity in there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #33903 - 05/19/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm hoping they rebound for you. Have you tried the cloning gel on the stems yet? :hehehe:Just apply that stuff all over the stems, up and down and everywhere, but leave one without to see the difference.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Sirius]
    #33910 - 05/19/08 01:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

No cloning gel yet. Went to a hydro store and asked about using them for stem improvement (he gave me one of those you-fucking-idiot looks) and then the only stuff I could find was $35.

Sold some gear from old hobbies off though - so I'm going to give it a whirl this evening.

They look a little happier though...

...one question I have, however, is that the leaves (the ones that were healthy) are starting to brown a bit at the tips and turn downwards.

I thought this was a sign of light deficiency, so I bumped up the CFL wattage from 43 to 172 (4x 43w) and it hasn't seemed to change much.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#33929 - 05/19/08 02:19 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

to be honest that humidity looks like a bit much to me. that would be perfect if they were mushrooms...

you should be more concerned about fresh air, such as from a fan, than your ultrasonic

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinekydub

#33961 - 05/19/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

There's an enourmous box fan you aren't seeing that sounds like a small jet engine sucking air in from outside and blasting it through the room. Originally I turned my coolmist/ultrasonics on just to help with the heat - helped /alot/. I ended up running the tube with the T in the rubbermaid just for shits 'n giggles and then decided to leave it since it keeps the RH in there at about 55-60 with the fan on.

I turned the fan off for the picture 'cause otherwise you couldn't see any mist.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#33963 - 05/19/08 02:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

gotcha

otherwise is was going to say you might run into rot/mold problems

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Yrat]
    #33972 - 05/19/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

are starting to brown a bit at the tips and turn downwards.

Brown tips on new growth generally points to an overfeeding. If you stuck those seedlings in a really rich soil, like ocean forest, there's a good chance that they're getting too much food right now and are burning.

Edit- looking back at your soil mix i would say it's either the castings (too much) or the DE that's causing the problems.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Edited by coda (05/19/08 03:06 PM)

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: coda]
    #33982 - 05/19/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

coda - the soil in the pictures is Happy Frog Potting Soil, so it's probably too rich. Could I cut it down using perlite or vermiculite? A 70/30 soil/inert agent mix perhaps?

Also, buddy's outdoor Pineapple is going nicely - I'm going to get some cloning gel and root dip stuff on the way home and take a couple cuttings from his little beauty. I'll try the gel trick on 3-4 of the seedlings I've got and see what happens.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #34029 - 05/19/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
Also,  buddy's outdoor Pineapple is going nicely - I'm going to get some cloning gel and root dip stuff on the way home and take a couple cuttings from his little beauty.  I'll try the gel trick on 3-4 of the seedlings I've got and see what happens.

That sounds cool, Pineapple! Now I don't feel so bad about paying that much for the stuff just for an experiment. :grin:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#34149 - 05/19/08 07:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The fun is all in the experiment. =)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #34183 - 05/19/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda - the soil in the pictures is Happy Frog Potting Soil, so it's probably too rich. Could I cut it down using perlite or vermiculite? A 70/30 soil/inert agent mix perhaps?

In the future, yah, not much you can do about it now unless you want to disturb the root system. Just keep giving them plain water until they tell you they need nutes. Seedlings are very sensitive, and while you can get them to rebound, too much stress will just flat out kill them.

Just keep an eye on them, they should be ok, it's possible they're just struggling a bit with all they've been through.

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#34561 - 05/19/08 11:01 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Got some OG Kush clones today - and some Pineapple cuttings. Unfortunately the Pineapple was flowering - so I tried to use the very top for cloning. Just finished potting, cloning... setting up terrarium... so no pics, but I did take one...

Oh, and Sirius, I threw some cloning gel on two of the seedlings - the other two I'm keeping I left, and the last two I don't care about anymore went outside to fend for themselves.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #34650 - 05/19/08 11:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

is it me, or does that bunny have a crazed look in the eye.....must be the reefer madness i've been hearing about.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #34698 - 05/20/08 03:35 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kydub said:
Oh, and Sirius,  I threw some cloning gel on two of the seedlings - the other two I'm keeping I left,  and the last two I don't care about anymore went outside to fend for themselves.

How did you apply it? Smear it all over the stems on all sides, up and down? :smile:

--------------------

Offlinekydub

#34785 - 05/20/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

kydub said:
Oh, and Sirius,  I threw some cloning gel on two of the seedlings - the other two I'm keeping I left,  and the last two I don't care about anymore went outside to fend for themselves.

How did you apply it? Smear it all over the stems on all sides, up and down? :smile:

Yup.  We'll see how it's doing when I get home today.

Offlinehightimes
Male

Loc: aussie land
    #35799 - 05/21/08 01:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

cool hope it works out for ya man! :thumbup:

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #35861 - 05/21/08 02:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

kydub said:

what does this help achieve?

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #35865 - 05/21/08 03:05 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It might not achieve anything; however, I've seen someone who had applied it to the lower stem of a plant and the stem swelled to three times its size. Since these ones are very thin and long and they are risking dying anyways, and there is nothing to really lose in trying it, it seems perfect for some experimentation to see if it will work.

Of course, all of that has already been said in this thread. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #36557 - 05/22/08 12:13 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
It might not achieve anything; however, I've seen someone who had applied it to the lower stem of a plant and the stem swelled to three times its size. Since these ones are very thin and long and they are risking dying anyways, and there is nothing to really lose in trying it, it seems perfect for some experimentation to see if it will work.

Of course, all of that has already been said in this thread. :wink:

Ahh ok. i thought u were trying to get some aerial roots going with higher nodes.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinekydub

Re: Just got some seedlings [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #36801 - 05/22/08 02:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Welp, for the cloning gel I can't say I've really seen any difference as of yet, except one of the stems seems a bit brown and barky. I'm not sure if this is because it's just dying (the leaves are green and healty looking) but it isn't happening to the ones I didn't smear the gel on.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies