Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary?
    #351583 - 01/21/10 08:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm soon to start my first own grow project, and I wanted to find out what you guys think about transplanting seedlings with soil/pot based cultivation.

I'm thinking about just growing 1 or 2 seeds in a large pot (that it will be in its whole life) and completely avoiding transplanting, which has the risk of shock to the plant.

So, I ask you experts, Could I sprout a seed in a large pot, and keep it there for the entire growth cycle? Or is transplating seedlings from small pots to larger one absolutely necassary? I know the drawbacks are the risk of shock to the young plant and extra work but....What are the benefits of transplanting?

Thanks for any useful help,
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #351602 - 01/21/10 08:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The benefits of using smaller containers for seedlings is that you have better control over moisture content.  When you put a seedling into a very large pot and water it you have a shit ton of soil that just sits there staying all soggy since there is no root system that can suck the water out. 

In all honesty man transplant shock isn't really anything to worry about.  90 % of the time I don't even see it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #351650 - 01/21/10 09:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, good to know! Thanks Hawks.

Just in case transplants were necessary/better, as told by you guys, I bought some of these small pots called "Plantable Pots" by a company called FiberGrow. Basically, you can just plant the whole pot, because its made of fibers.

Do you use something similar? Or do you just take it out of a regular small pot and transplant just the soil+roots?

~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#351655 - 01/21/10 09:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I use the same kind of pot, no problems, just plant the pot into like a 6in pot when you see the tap root coming out the bottom. Remember when you plant the seed the seed should face up and the lil baby just came out of the seed shell root should face down.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #351683 - 01/21/10 09:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just transplant from container to container.  I've never had experience with those types of pots.  Sounds nifty though. 

I like reusable things though.  Less money to spend in the long run.  But I think what your talking about would work great as well.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#351689 - 01/21/10 10:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I totally agree: reusing things is where its at. I try to re-use my cloth bags everytime I go to a store to buy stuff.

I would of bought regular plastic ones until I looked at the price tag: these "plantable" fiber pots are only $1.90 for 8 pots, each with a 3" in diameter.

I didn't check the plastic pot price, but it can't be that much less than 24 cents per fiber pot.

And I bought these at a speciality store, so it could be even cheaper at a large wholesale store.

Now I really excited to buy my seeds and get them planted in these little fiber pots.

Thanks again Hawks & ShroomJew, you've both been very helpful. :thumbup:

Gotta Pot-to-Pot
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (01/21/10 10:07 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #351827 - 01/22/10 10:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well in the Nursery world it's called Upcanning and it is a proven method of as Hawk said, controlling medium moisture, and causing the roots to branch out more and effectively use more of the soil/whatever medium.

I start with 16oz Solo cups for 2-21/2 weeks, then to 1 gallon for more than half of vegetative growth, then finally to either 2 or 3 gallon containers to finish in.  I grow plants from 2-3 feet tall in those containers with no problems.

Transplant shock is confusing.  From professional growers I have learned this - that the shock is not usually from the physical transplant process, but from the transition to an different rooting environment.  I have yet to see stress after this information.  He also showed me how to gently dismantle the bottom half of the rootball and spread the roots out in an outward direction from the core when transplanting so that they are already a couple inches into the new medium and will have no problem exploring the new space.  I even damage the roots quite a bit sometimes and see ZERO stress still, because I make SURE to match the fresh space's moisture content and nutrient content because that is where the shock stems from.  If you think about it, it's pretty obvious, that if the new pot and soil have a PH that is a little different than the soil the plant is currently living in, it's going to go through shock from the rapid change.

I'm sorry to rant and not really have the links to back up what I said but I hope you listen to what I have told you because it was a huge step in my technique that seemed to have solid positive results.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: Inverted]
    #352901 - 01/25/10 04:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm diggin the Peat pellets for seeds this time around.. you could look into those as well.  They make all kinds of humidity domes and 'seedling' related products, many of which are suited to the peat pellets.

So I was wondering then guys;  What IS a good moisture content for transplant?  Dry medium into dry medium?  Wet to wet? Somewhere in between?
My girl is really into plants and she swears by 'watering in.'  IE, basically a really good flush and drain in the new container... What do you guys think of that?  Hope it's relevant enough and not a threadjack...

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: DudeTron]
    #353406 - 01/26/10 01:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I always water my plants the day before I plan on transplanting.  And then make sure that the soil I'm transplanting into is a little more moist than the current soil.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#353412 - 01/26/10 01:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's interesting you say that because Inverted said just the opposite: he likes to transplant to a drier soil than the original pot.

Hmmm...I guess both will work. I just don't want to drown/saturate the seeds during the transplant phase.

How many transplants have you down Hawks? Have you had good sucess with those using your technique?

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #353416 - 01/26/10 02:14 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have done hundreds of transplants.  This method works for me.  Other people have other methods.  They can work as well.

If your going to do my way then just make sure that the soil you transplant into isn't soggy, and shouldn't have a problem.  Just make sure that the soil is pH balanced and has the same amount of nutrients in it, as in the soil that your plant is in. 

There is always more than one way to do things.  I prefer this way.  I like having the a medium that will allow my plants roots to grow into it and have water to draw off of at the same time.  And as long as your not transplanting into too big of a container it shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #353473 - 01/26/10 09:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

How come no one ever mentions Peat Pots when it comes to transplanting.???

You can start off in a 3-5 inch peat pot and when the roots surround the pot just transplant to whatever you want with NO root damage! The roots are already spread around the bottom of the pot so there is no need to touch them. Just moisten and plant. Seems like the BEST METHOD that no one mentions. :shrug::rockon:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #353474 - 01/26/10 09:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yeah, plus the roots get more air in their seedling stage allowing for more vigorous growth early.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #353596 - 01/26/10 04:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well it's basically the same thing as a rock wool IMO.

Were more talking about your transplant from your first container to your second.  Not from germination/cloning point.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #353761 - 01/26/10 08:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, rockwool is exactly the same concept. The thing that I like most about the peat pots is you can go right from the peat pot to your final container whether it be 1 or 5 gallon.

I really don't see a need for transplanting more than once whether it be an indoor or outdoor grow.

I really can't believe that more people don't use them around here.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #353765 - 01/26/10 08:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

People do use them.  And you can do the exact same thing with rockwool if you want to.  The reasons we transplant more than once have already been discussed in earlier in the thread.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #353772 - 01/26/10 09:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I realize that. But I can't see going any bigger than 5 gallons indoor or getting them bigger than 5 gallons before they go outdoor. Therefore there is no need to transplant more than once.

You can go from a large peat pot to a 5 gallon bucket, or from a small peat pot to anything under 5 gallons. See what I'm saying???

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #353789 - 01/26/10 09:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My plants go into 30 gallon containers, 2 per container.  Even if I was was using 5 gallon container for plants I would transplant from a 1 gallon.  You just get better moisture control.  Sure it works your way as well.  But I prefer to keep all growing conditions under tight control, and that includes the rooting zone.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #354019 - 01/27/10 05:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I see your point. If I was going as large as 30 gallon I would definitely transplant more than once also.

However, for 5 gallon buckets, I find that if you go from a large peat pot directly to the bucket it only takes about 1 week for the roots to hit the sides. I have no idea how long it takes for roots to fill the bottom but it can't be far behind.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#388388 - 03/22/10 06:43 PM (14 years, 10 hours ago)

I know this is an old thread, but I think my young plant is ready for transplant, and I need some help....

So, I used Inverted's math of transplant a plant grown in a 16 fl. oz. Dixie(r) cup to a 1 gallon (128 fl. oz.) container. This is a 1-to-8 ratio, or the 2nd container should be 8 times larger than the original seedling container.

Is this "rule" for transplanting container right or does it only apply to Dixie Cups?

I ask this because I started my plant NOT in a 16 fl. oz. container, but instead, in a 4 inch high x 4 inch wide clay pot. Its pictured below (photo taken Saturday, March 20.)

So, by my Math and Inverted's advice, I should transplant to a pot 32 inches (1 foot 8 inches) wide, 32 inches (1 foot 8 inches) tall. Is this right?

Thanks,
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #388427 - 03/22/10 07:46 PM (14 years, 9 hours ago)

haha, it's not really that linear of an equation. First off, since you're flowering soon I don't think you'll need that much root space. It might appreciate having an extra couple inches in each direction, but you don't need a 32 x 32 container unless you're going to veg for another month before you flower.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #388434 - 03/22/10 07:53 PM (14 years, 9 hours ago)

Oh, my bad....thats me trying to figure things out...the wrong way.

So maybe a 5" tall x 5" wide pot would work, so it has 1 inch "wiggle room" on each side. Would that cover the 7 weeks of flowering time? I heard that plants grow about 3 times their height during the Flowering stage....is that True?

Thanks for visiting Harry: Your always helpful.....and funny.

Your digital fan, :awesome:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#388491 - 03/22/10 09:21 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

honestly man, I'd say for as big of a pot as you're comfortable with in that space, and smaller than 3 gal.

More soil = more forgiveness in my experience.  A quality medium will contain enough worry free nutes for a couple weeks,  better Moisture control, and you never know she could take to her new home like crazy during the first two weeks of flower and get huge.

I'd put my vote on a 1 gallon pot... Or a 'nursery size' 2 gallon, which tend to be about the same.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: DudeTron]
    #388492 - 03/22/10 09:22 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

agreed, I'd go with more than just a 5x5 pot. a 6x6 square pot is exactly 1 gallon, so maybe like an 8x8 or 10 x 10 would be manageable.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Is Transplanting Seedlings Really Necessary? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #388515 - 03/22/10 09:53 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

Oh, so now bigger than a 1 gallon. Alright then....is that the final answer?

So a 8" x 8" square pot is about 1.5 gallons right? Or, might as well go big with the 10" x 10". As they say in Hawaii, "Go Big or Go Home".

I guess its up to me now...
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck