Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine?
    #351375 - 01/21/10 03:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I ask this because I have been researching seeds online and have found 2 different types of seeds available for almost every strain: "Regular" and "Feminized".

Because of the higher cost of "Feminized" seeds, I have been considered getting the much cheaper "regular" seeds, which can be either male or female.

I don't wanna spend too much money on the seeds, since I don't have much more money to spend (after my current set-up I bought).

So I'm in a certian delimila: buy 1 expensive feminized seed and risk it all or buy several "regular" seeds and have a chance of growing a male (which is not what I need, I need a women), but have a better chance of not failing on one seed.

Back to the original question: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? Is is above 50%?

>>> And what about "feminized" seeds? Are they 100% garnettted to be a female plant or is it close to 100%?

-- Finally, how are "feminized" seeds made? is it bred into the seeds somehow? Gene-splicing maybe?

Thanks for your help,
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #351377 - 01/21/10 03:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

no, it's almost exactly 50% female to male. Granted, you can get lucky and get 9 females out of 10, but that is an anomaly of sample size. Every population sample of natural cannabis with large study size will land around 50%.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #351380 - 01/21/10 03:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I was afraid of that, but that's natural selection for ya. Thanks for the info HarryBallz.

What about "feminized" seeds, are they always 100% feminine? Or is the percentage a little lower?

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #351496 - 01/21/10 06:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

no not always 100 percent it depends on the breederr and how well you take care of yer plants

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: mhbound]
    #351721 - 01/21/10 10:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

feminized seeds are produced by purposely inducing staminate (male) flowers on a female plant.  that pollinates the female calyx and poof a few weeks later you got female seeds.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #351733 - 01/21/10 11:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

if the regular seeds are significantly cheaper you could just buy 2 packs  and chop ur males

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #351821 - 01/22/10 09:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think the breeders already thought of that, that's why it's about 80-90% cheaper to buy the fems than 2 packs of regulars...

No Money No Honey as my mexican coke selling coworker used to say every day...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Inverted]
    #351866 - 01/22/10 11:00 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ah, excuse my ignorance i am unfamiliar with seedbanks.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #351873 - 01/22/10 11:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Huh?  I was just saying.  If you look at the prices that's generally where they stand...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Inverted]
    #351874 - 01/22/10 11:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

that was more directed to the poster of this topic for me suggesting something that wasn't right :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #351887 - 01/22/10 12:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well in nature the ratio is about 2 females for every male plant. Reason for this is that one male can fertilize tons of female plants. In other words if there are more females the plants you get a higher number of seeds which is a higher number of offspring.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineblueberry D
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Magash]
    #352165 - 01/22/10 10:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

well out of the ten seeds I popped I got 6 ladies, so that sounds about right. I  read about people getting ten males out of ten seeds also, so I think it just depends on the seed company, if they are legit, or if the grower even knows how to germinate seeds properly I don't know if there is a sure percentage you can get, can you?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: blueberry D]
    #352276 - 01/23/10 10:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've read from multiple sources that how you handle the plant and the stresses you provide to the plant can play a large factor into whether or not the plant is male or female come flowering time.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #352389 - 01/23/10 04:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wow, thats amazing...so you're saying that the sex of the plant could be influenced by the environment?

Interesting...kinda like turtle eggs, which the sex of the baby turtle dependes on the temperature they are incubated at. Could there be a similar "nature" rule to ganja plants?

Crazy stuff Furrow, can you provide some sources of that claim so I can look it up?

Good Stuff
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (01/23/10 04:15 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #352473 - 01/23/10 09:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oh yeah, the fist one that comes to mind is jorge cervantez's book.  The factors that lead to higher female rates are things like lower temps and no heat stress, free flow of fresh air, more blue light spectrum, high humidity.  These are all things that lead to less stress for the plant.  Stress really impedes vibrant growth.  Make the plants happy, give them what they want and let them grow.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #352566 - 01/24/10 03:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
how you handle the plant and the stresses you provide to the plant can play a large factor into whether or not the plant is male or female come flowering time.

This is definitely true, and one of the easiest ways to help induce a female is to flower it from seed.  It has been all but proven that this can lead to more females than males. As an experiment I once took 6 regular seeds and gave them 12/12 from germination.  All 6 ended up female.  Even if the odds of female truly are 6/10 for a regular seed, the odds of taking 6 random regular seeds and getting 6 females would be 6/10 to the 6th power = 0.046 * 100 = 4.6 % , or about 1/20.  So I could just been lucky, or it really works.  This isn't a large of enough sample size of course for an accurate statistic, but I have bought the theory ever since then.  There are tons of reports using it that you may be able to find online.  However, you cannot create odds for male or female with marijuana seeds, as they have a more complicated mechanism of sex determination.  Decades ago it was thought that cannabis had a dioecious sex determining mechanism, like humans, meaning two chromosomes XX or XY.  Now it is often referred to as an X:A system, meaning the second is a variable and isn't established when the gametes meet.  There are other chemicals that can induce sex changes, I remember gibberellins or gibberellic acid is used to induce males, I can't remember the one that induces a female, but you could google that if you are interested.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: dutc2006]
    #352772 - 01/24/10 07:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dutc2006 said:
Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
how you handle the plant and the stresses you provide to the plant can play a large factor into whether or not the plant is male or female come flowering time.

This is definitely true, and one of the easiest ways to help induce a female is to flower it from seed.  It has been all but proven that this can lead to more females than males. As an experiment I once took 6 regular seeds and gave them 12/12 from germination.  All 6 ended up female.  Even if the odds of female truly are 6/10 for a regular seed, the odds of taking 6 random regular seeds and getting 6 females would be 6/10 to the 6th power = 0.046 * 100 = 4.6 % , or about 1/20.  So I could just been lucky, or it really works.  This isn't a large of enough sample size of course for an accurate statistic, but I have bought the theory ever since then.  There are tons of reports using it that you may be able to find online.  However, you cannot create odds for male or female with marijuana seeds, as they have a more complicated mechanism of sex determination.  Decades ago it was thought that cannabis had a dioecious sex determining mechanism, like humans, meaning two chromosomes XX or XY.  Now it is often referred to as an X:A system, meaning the second is a variable and isn't established when the gametes meet.  There are other chemicals that can induce sex changes, I remember gibberellins or gibberellic acid is used to induce males, I can't remember the one that induces a female, but you could google that if you are interested.

Well close on the seed thing but flowering right from seed won't induce females. There are several strains that cause of their flowering times that many people flower right from seed.
Now on the chemicals that induce sex changes that really isn't the case what they do is block a hormone. There is a hormone that tells the flower that it is to be female what Gabrillic acid and sts (even better) do is block that hormone. There is no known way to add the hormone to a plant to induce female flowers.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: Magash]
    #352774 - 01/24/10 07:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

There is no known way to add the hormone to a plant to induce female flowers.

How nice would that be though.  Inoculate your substrate with the hormone and boom, instant female.

One day...

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #352878 - 01/25/10 01:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Well close on the seed thing but flowering right from seed won't induce females. There are several strains that cause of their flowering times that many people flower right from seed.
Now on the chemicals that induce sex changes that really isn't the case what they do is block a hormone. There is a hormone that tells the flower that it is to be female what Gabrillic acid and sts (even better) do is block that hormone. There is no known way to add the hormone to a plant to induce female flowers.

I honestly didn't mean to say "sex changes" in my previous post, I should have said something like "encouraging which sex they will be", but it has been reported, according to the Wikipedia article on Cannabis, that sex changes have been induced chemically.  Here is a quote from that article:

"Environmental sex determination is known to occur in a variety of species.[77] Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.[66] Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.[60] It has been reported that sex can be reversed in Cannabis using chemical treatment.[78] A PCR-based method for the detection of female-associated DNA polymorphisms by genotyping has been developed."

Of course everything on Wiki isn't necessarily true...

As I was eating a banana for breakfast this morning I remembered the chemical I was thinking about that could induce the female sex: ethylene.  I believe ethylene gas is a byproduct of banana peels as they sit out, and this reminded me of it. 

Also I wasn't getting flowering from seed because of long flowering periods, and flowering from seed to get more females mixed up.  It has been reported by many people all over the internet that when they induced flowering from seed that they got more females.  Unless you have tried it or can post some data refuting it, I will say the concept is plausible.  I admit my 6 seed sample was not enough to come up with conclusive evidence, but it led me to do more research on the subject, and I have found tons of posts of people with similar experiences.  Seasonal cues are environmental factors that could easily affect the sex of the plant.  Of course this stress is not recommended, even by me, it can increase the likelihood of the plant turning hermie, I am just noting these peculiarities for the sake of discussion.  None of the 6 that I flowered from seed hermied on me.  You first must admit that cannabis sex is not necessarily determined at seed creation, except for feminized seeds, but that is much more simple genetics.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the Percentage that a "Regular" (non-feminized) Seed will be Feminine? [Re: dutc2006]
    #352884 - 01/25/10 02:27 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Haha, now that I am looking for some evidence to back that idea up about 12/12 from seed leading to more females I can find nothing. 

Well maybe somebody else has heard of this before and can pull something up, but if it were actually true there would probably be a lot more literature out there about it.  I have a bunch of regular seeds bought from reliable vendors, so I could give this test another go, but what a waste it would be. I like to veg my plants out to be monsters, I have some tall ladies patiently waiting their turn at the flowering box. I doubt I am gonna give it to a seedling test subject, that is probably gonna prove me wrong turning into a shitty male!
:failboat:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate