Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Haze and Skunk! [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #347163 - 01/13/10 06:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've had plenty of nugs that size, but I don't know how that can weight 33 grams.  The biggest cola I've ever grown was a little over a half ounce...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Haze and Skunk! [Re: Inverted]
    #347277 - 01/13/10 08:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, here's the harvest pics.  We'll call this plant #1.  Here's a very quick overview of how I trim, I would have taken more pics but my cam was running out of batteries.  Luckily they lasted long enough to get to the wet weigh in

Picture before trimming

First I start by removing all major fan leaves which have stems that are easily accessible all the way to the main stalk of the plant.  I like to get rid of all these garbage leaves while the plant is still in the container.  It's easier to get to the main stalk and remove the whole leaf this way. 

Next comes the chop, I cut at the base of the main stalk making sure to give me a few inches to grab onto while doing the more delicate trimming.

Now there's a million ways to trim your bud.  I use two methods, one I call lollipop trimming because I hold the bud by the stalk (like a lollipop, duh :wink:) and snip off the sugary small leaves and small fan leaf tips near the calyxes.  The other is the palm method (my own name too lol), this is where I lay the bud in my palm and trim.  I like this method more because the bud is more stable, and my fingers don't hurt from pinching the stalk. 

I like to keep the bud horizontal, this way I can pay attention to where the tips of my scissors are.  Keep the blades parallel with your calyxes, I like to get them as close as possible to the bud without actually touching it to avoid really mashing trichs and trimming off calyxes by mistake.  Remember, measure twice cut ONCE.  Once you snip, there's no going back.  If you don't pay attention a beautiful A grade bud can be turned into lowly C grade nugs with one slip.  Plus it makes it a son of a bitch to dry if you have chunks of bud cut from the stalk.  Take your time, like I said you can't undo mistakes so it pays off to take it slow and easy and measure each snip carefully.  Once you get the hang of it you can speed up, but even still slow and steady wins the bud waver race.

Almost finished with this one.  Note: I chopped this bud in two pieces as I do with almost all larger buds.  The longer they are the more difficult it is to keep them steady.  Big buds are awesome, but they all need to get reduced at some point to hit the jars.  I personally like to leave them no longer then from the base of my palm to my finger tips.

voila, 1/2 the plant is now finished to my liking.

pile of sugar to be turned into hash from the bottom bud of my plant.

Here's the "palm" method.  Lay the bud in your palm and work on the side until it's to your liking.  Then just rotate the bud and start on the new side until it's all done.

1/2 the bud done, now to the other side.

Whew, 35 mins later and there you have it, two nice sized nugs trimmed to my liking.  I don't mind having a little extra leaf in there.  If it's too much I can always pick it off later and toss it in the hash pile.  If you start going crazy you end up trimming too much, or make a mistake and cut in the wrong spot.  Everyone has different preferences in this area, but seeing as these fans are just coated with white it's not difficult for me to leave them on the bud.

Pile of sugar from the whole plant.  This gets toseed in a small paper lunch sack to dry.  I'll open the sack once a day and lightly shake it to move the leaf matter around.  I'd say in about 2-3 days it'll be good enough to go into a jar for storage.  When I have a decent amount it's off to the hash races for me.  I'll probably get one more 8 plant harvest in before I make a batch.  The large fan leaves get saved too, well this round anyway.  I normally trash them but I want to try my hand at making edibles after a few harvests. 

Some close ups of the bud.  I'm amazed these photos turned out alright.  My cam has a small optical zoom and then kicks into digital zoom (which usually blows).  I managed to snap two good pics of the trichs, my other pictures did no justice to how pretty these plants look.

Final wet weight was 44 grams.  IIRC 2/3's water in a wet plant.  which means, if it goes well, I should hit my 1/2 oz mark.  Don't quote me on that though, believe it or not that's the first time I ever weighed out my buds after trimming.  But it was small enough and since I was doing only one plant I figured what the hell and weighed them.  Personally I think I'm going to end up with 7-8 grams, but there's always hope for the 14 I truly want :wink:

Anyways, there you have it.  One plant down, 7 almost ready.  Then I have one more AF plant with about a month to go and my run with this particular strain will come to an end.  This plant had some nice purple hues to it (cold weather purps), but I couldn't get a picture that showed it off well.  It's a beauty of a nugget and I'm already wishing it was dry heheh.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineenno
starman
Male User Gallery

Loc: space
Re: Haze and Skunk! [Re: coda]
    #347299 - 01/13/10 08:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

damn man it looks like a little pine tree
belesimo

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#347316 - 01/13/10 09:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice job and nice TEK on trimming.  I pretty much do it just like you, except I go more OCD on it and get almost every little fan.  I think I'll leave more on this next time.  I think I'll fair similar results as you, except mine aren't as ready as I thought.  I'd say on the high side I'll get a little over a half, and on the low side probably 7-8 grams (per plant)...  Not too great for the effort I put into it, but now that I have this setup figured out, the next run will be great.  I'm expecting over 4zips next run

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #347322 - 01/13/10 09:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

it gets easier with each grow for sure.  Once you know the strain in and out you'll be able to pump out some fat harvests.  I used to be real anal about the fans too, but to tell you the truth they really don't bother me much.  Like I said, if it's too harsh i can always pick them off and smooth out the smoke.

Quote:

damn man it looks like a little pine tree
belesimo

why thank you :smile:  PS the greasy wop inside of me is screaming to say it's bellissimo, but you're close enough heheheh /word nazi :P

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #347347 - 01/13/10 09:46 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

nice plants man. and nice trimming tek. i swear i can learn most of the things i want to know about cult just by reading new and old threads and not asking a question for the 10000000th time. :rofl:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #347478 - 01/14/10 08:51 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
I've had plenty of nugs that size, but I don't know how that can weight 33 grams.  The biggest cola I've ever grown was a little over a half ounce...

airflow brah. I can usually see the leaves on my plant fluttering in the wind while they're flowering, this not only creates very strong and healthy stems but it signals to the plant that mold and humidity will not be a concern. the increased rate of stomatal respiration causes incredibly high density

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Loc: The Hall of Doom
    #347531 - 01/14/10 12:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hot DAMN!  That is some fine work coda.:jennajameson:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#347578 - 01/14/10 01:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

Inverted said:

airflow brah. I can usually see the leaves on my plant fluttering in the wind while they're flowering, this not only creates very strong and healthy stems but it signals to the plant that mold and humidity will not be a concern. the increased rate of stomatal respiration causes incredibly high density

Ahhh thank you for the clarification.  My airflow isn't that great.  It is inside the box, but it's not exchanging enough.  My new setup for magash's beans is going to be perfect.  I will have the passive airflow going for that box.  Those seedlings/plants are looking absolutely awesome.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #347664 - 01/14/10 03:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah. that air exchange once every 5 minutes like all the websites suggest is retarded. I'm talking about exchanging the entire room in 20 seconds. :discorex:

I have 96 ft^3 right now, and I'm buying a 456cfm fan for it.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#347668 - 01/14/10 03:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice.  Yeah I have a 133CFM fan for a 16 cubic foot space, so I think I'll be ok.  Plus I don't have any static pressure because I don't use any carbon filtration.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #347677 - 01/14/10 03:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

lol yeah, that's definitely awesome. that 33gram nug was grown in a 20ft^3 space with 95cfm, so you'll be rockin' :thumbup:

sorry to temporarily derail the thread coda, gorgeous nugs you grew there! first hempy grow a success :hi5:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #347791 - 01/14/10 04:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No problem, I don't consider it derailed if you're talking about cultivating :P

Both buds have lost 10 grams worth of water weight already.  I think I'll be lucky if I see 5 grams from this plant.  I clipped off a small bud from the lower portion to dehydrate.  Haven't smoked in a little bit and man was today just a hellacious day.  So I just said fuck it and picked off the bud which looked the least formed.  Don't expect it taste great or anything, but I'm sure I'll catch a nice buzz before I hit the sack tonight.

I'll be buying a stronger circulating fan for sure, we'll test out your theory there harry.  I know good airflow is essential, and my intake and exhaust are definitely adequate for the room, but maybe stronger air circulation around the buds will help my chances at growing something rock hard.  I'd like to replace the 4 inch inline I have with a 6 inch fan with a higher CFM rating.  Then I'll take the 4 inch inline and replace my squirrel cage fan with it.  The damn squirrel cage is so noisy, I'll probably end up donating it to a member here in need.  It's got a lot of hours on it, but it still works pretty well.

Anyways, kinda disappointing with this plant.  I know for sure I'm gonna end up with the damn wispy, crunchy, nuggets I've been trying to avoid.  But in the end it's still smoke, and I have all the time in the world to grow more, so it's not too big of a deal.  The Sour D plant I have flowering is looking great.  Trich formation already even though the buds are pretty tiny.  I also have that one last autoflower in there as well.  So hopefully with the new circulating fan I'll be able to get it to produce the dense buds I've been wanting so badly.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #348341 - 01/15/10 04:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

After doing a bunch of reading last night I really think my problem here is an early harvest.  Judging from the look of the calyxes I'm just not giving them enough time.  Because of this I'm going to delay the full harvest by at least 1 week (more likely two).  I've come this far, might as well wait a little longer if it means denser nugs.

Other then that another weigh in today.

Big nug was at 8.3 grams.  It's getting nice and crispy on the outside.  I figure by sunday it will be dry enough to hit the jar.

Second nug was 6.4 grams.  I cut off another big chunk tonight though to quick dry.  Fuck it, the buds are gonna be wispy any ways so I don't really care. 

I imagine the big nug will come in at 4-5 grams and the smaller one 1-2 (if I don't smoke it all by sunday :wink:)

EDIT: Well turns out that nugget I snipped came in at one gram even after it hit the dehydrator for two hours.  Bone dry too, stem snapped like a twig and the bud basically crumbled in my hand.  Pretty surprising to me, there's probably another two grams (possibly) sitting on the bud that's hang drying right now. 

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#348546 - 01/16/10 08:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

So basically 1/4 oz for one plant.  I don't imagine I'll even get close to that.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Haze and Skunk! [Re: chucklehead]
    #348665 - 01/16/10 02:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yah, I think you're on the money there.  I dehydrated the rest of the bottom, the remaining came out to 2 grams even heh.  So the bottom of my plant gave me around 3.1 grams.  The top 1/2 is still a little wet and weighing in close to 7 grams right now.  I'll probably lose another gram to water and that stalk probably weighs close to a gram.  So about 8 grams is what I'm thinking I'll end up with. 

I think my thoughts on too early of a chop are correct.  Here's why I think so.

Breeder gives total plant life around 80-90 days.  This upcoming Wed. will be day 80, but only like day 54 or so of flowering. 

Knowing that I could easily flower this plant for another two weeks and still only be around day 70 flowering which is not unheard of.

I bought a new pocket microscope today which is much easier to use then the one I have.  Taking a look at the dried buds from the plant I chopped I'm seeing almost all of the trichs are completely clear.  Guess I got a false positive when I was using my shitty scope.  If the trichs are all clear on this plant, chances are they're all clear on the others too.

So, I think I'm going to give my plants an additional 10 days past this Wed.  Then I'll clip a few calyxes from each plant and check the trichs and decide whether I should give them more time, or if I should chop.  There's still a little light at the end of the tunnel, I may be able to get these buds to fatten up if all they need is some more time.  I also think I'm going to buy an additive like the dry Kool Bloom to use.  I really think the plants could benefit from a large dose of P + K in the last 3-4 weeks of flowering.  The flora nova is great, but I think my plants could use a little more towards the end of their life.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#348862 - 01/16/10 09:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds pretty much like my problem.

I'm on day 50 and the first hairs have started to turn.  I'd say they have 60+ needed.  That lockout at the beginning of flowering ended up biting me in the ass.  The 2 indica dominant plants probably only grew to half of their potential.  For a 24 day veg time, this plant should be quite a bit larger than an AF.  I think not breaking up the rootball during transplant also reduced root branching and yield.

I just clipped a lower bud from one of the dense bud plants and it's a lot bigger than I thought, but the swelling just hasn't happened yet.

I'd say they are going to be rock solid by harvest, I just don't know how to guage weight.  The other 2 are very low density.

Had I performed a smooth run, I think this plant would be twice as big and bushy...  Instead it looks just like yours.  (Only stretched 4 inches during 12/12  That plant will probably bring me 3/8 or maybe close to a 1/2.  I should be getting a zip from a plant that age... :nonono:

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#348985 - 01/17/10 11:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well the nugs certainly look awesome coda great job even if they didn't hit your weight goal.

From my reading a lot of AF strains just aren't as good of producers as their non AF ancestors. Do you think you will do more in the future or where just checking them out?

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Haze and Skunk! [Re: pha3r0]
    #349032 - 01/17/10 01:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well I have five seeds left so I'll be possibly doing another run with them.  After that, I dunno, they were fun and all but I'm not sure I'd spend money on seeds.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#349071 - 01/17/10 04:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Well I have five seeds left so I'll be possibly doing another run with them.  After that, I dunno, they were fun and all but I'm not sure I'd spend money on seeds.

Meaning you'd spend the money on some other seeds just not AF?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck