Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Annom]
    #115091 - 08/27/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think what will happen is that some of them will make the transplant and some of them won't. I found a setting on the camera that seems to filter out the red light from the HPS, so here's a couple shots as requested. :smile: The overhead shot I really love. :pimp3:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Sirius]
    #115122 - 08/27/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice pics! That shows their size! Well covered green field.

Adjusting white-balance or using white-balance presets on cameras can help to make better pictures in HPS light. Those look very good!

InvisibleUns4ne
King of Twisted Irony
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Annom]
    #115297 - 08/27/08 08:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I was just checking out the photos of your AH #3 and just like my plants it seems that this strain prefers to put its energy into the node leaves and not its branches, at least under florescents.

I sincerely hope that your able to reach a solution to your yellowing woes. By the way, I was wondering what your using to drop your PH. I'm leaning toward citric acid(sour salt) until the last two weeks of flowering, then I'm going to switch to lemon juice.

--------------------
Fighting Terrorism One Seed At A Time
Big Bang, Arjan's Haze #3 Growlog
My First Grow(Complete)
Never let school get in the way of your education.-Mark Twain

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Sirius]
    #119840 - 09/09/08 12:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I demand an update!

InvisibleUns4ne
King of Twisted Irony
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #119848 - 09/09/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Demand Seconded.

--------------------
My First Grow(Complete)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Uns4ne]
    #119901 - 09/09/08 02:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys, thanks for the interest. We were considering doing an update today, but we're out of batteries, so tomorrow we'll probably get on making that update. :wink: Everything is going well and they are starting to concentrate on bud production.

Quote:

Uns4ne said:
I sincerely hope that your able to reach a solution to your yellowing woes. By the way, I was wondering what your using to drop your PH. I'm leaning toward citric acid(sour salt) until the last two weeks of flowering, then I'm going to switch to lemon juice.

We've been making a lot of progress with the issues we were having, but incredibly low humidity makes it harder. We have a bottle of phosphoric acid that we use, but its mostly gone, and we're really thinking of what we'll be using until we can get another order in (at least a month). The nice thing about phosphoric acid is the boost of phosphorous for the plants.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #120768 - 09/11/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Update; Day 20 Flowering :pimp3:

This is when it starts to get interesting. :yesnod: Our girls have came out from the stretch with a lucky number of seven, and now the bud production is really kicking off.  :wowz: We've made a lot of progress with diagnosing the problems we were having with our plants, thanks in large part to subjecting the males to adjustments in nutrient dosages that were a little too adventurous to want to risk with the ladies. Potassium deficiency describes the problems we were having quite well, and they have been very responsive to increased amounts of P/K booster, with the leaves darkening up and the burning almost ceasing to spread further. Some of the main fan leaves still lack a little color around the edges, and the Arjan's Haze #3 girls seem very reluctant to green up (although most of the leaves on the side branches, which outnumber older leaves by a long shot, look a lot better), but we've hit a point at which we can't increase the P/K without causing some nute burn. The reason we've found a wall like this when everything should be fine is due to the humidity being virtually non-existent. We're working with a temporary setup right now due to not being able to control the ambient temperatures in the intended area, and, unfortunately, this air conditioner dehumidifies the fuck out of the air, and we can't spring for a humidifier at the moment. The water transpires too quickly and induces a potassium deficiency, as it assists with transpiration and gets left on the tips and edges, which, in combination with the lack of water, is responsible for the burning, and also explains why increasing P/K past a certain point doesn't have more of an effect. Just have to live with it for now, and be grateful to have learned a hell of a lot from everything. :grin:

Beyond that, we'll pretty much let the pictures speak for themselves. We've highlighted bud formation on two of the plants that are leading the way, one of the White Satin bitches, and the only Critically Smashed plant that turned out to be female. The structure of CS#3 is absolutely marvelous. We didn't take a clone from it (we still have seven seeds to run of that), but we do have a clone from the WS#3.

Also of interest is the fact that most of the White Satin plants really smell like coffee.  :goodmorning:

CS #3

WS #3

AH3 #1

AH3 #2

WS #1

WS #2

WS #5

--------------------

InvisibleUns4ne
King of Twisted Irony
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #120845 - 09/11/08 06:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice recovery. That CS looks wonderful. I'm glad I tied my AH #3 down, it looks like they get pretty spindly under home grown conditions.

--------------------
My First Grow(Complete)

Offlinesaltatory
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Uns4ne]
    #121097 - 09/12/08 06:12 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

nice job sirius, this is the kind of grow log i like to read. it's concise yet chock-full of helpful info and you really seem to know what you're talking about. the fact that you use complete sentences and proper grammar doesn't hurt either :smile:

keep up the good work and know that you're an inspiration to at least one aspiring grower here.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: saltatory]
    #121127 - 09/12/08 10:09 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

saltatory said:

keep up the good work and know that you're an inspiration to at least one aspiring grower here.

Make that two!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #121158 - 09/12/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:laugh: I see flowers! :cool: Great pics and plants!

Those aren't 4 gallon containers, are they? Why not bigger containers?
It's hard to guess size from those images. What's their height?

Edited by Annom (09/12/08 11:41 AM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #121204 - 09/12/08 02:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone. :super:

We appreciate those responses, saltatory and ren. Our goal with the log was simply to make it resemble the kinds of logs we enjoyed reading and looked for the most when we were absorbing everything we could like sponges - detailed information, updates being edited into the first post as well (unfortunately the first post can't take any more updates, so going forward, we'll either have to leave a couple empty posts after the first one, or get them to change the codes...). It feels great to hear that we're inspiring other people who are looking to grow for the first time, because the line of thought we both have had is that it is pays off a lot more in the long run to take a slight security risk in posting if it means that it helps the community out and gets more people growing. The spirit of overgrowing, I guess. :grin:

Uns4ne, the Arjan's Haze #3 might look a little less bushy than they should because they were hit the hardest throughout this whole deal and they're missing some of their leaves that should be there. They are about as tall as the rest of the plants. I'd suspect that they are really going to fill in with buds really well. :smile:

Annom, they are pretty much all a couple inches over two feet tall right now, and there isn't much for stretching anymore. They are still in their 4 liter containers. While we could have made the transplant (actually its hard to say, not sure if there's enough coco for it to have happened with all of them, and we'd like to use it for the next round of seedlings), I don't suspect that they will be too negatively impacted from not doing so. They still have plenty of moisture after a full day, and while the roots are really starting to poke out from the sides of the coco, I really wouldn't expect that they will become too root-bound to cause problems with not being able to flush excessive salts from the coco. I'm sure not having more roots will create somewhat of a limitation on yield, but I think we'll still get more than we could have dreamed of getting for a first time. Next time, we'll definitely be transplanting. :wink:

Took a couple more pictures for the hell of it. This is two days since the last pictures, and not one, since we posted that update a day later than we took its pictures. :grin:

This is one of the clones we took. Someone who was taking care of them for us while we were away nearly broke the stem in half, and I was curious how the rooting was going along, so up it came (it was male anyways). I think this is closer to two weeks after taking the clones. Only one of these is actually female. We didn't take clones from everything because we aren't really setup to do anything with them right now, and were only interested in getting our experience with the process. Of the plants we chose to take clones from, only one of them actually turned out to be female. :lol:

The buds keep developing more and more every day,  the pistils are getting really big, and there is trichomes starting to coat everything! :laugh: This is White Satin #2, which really seems to be getting  long-ass pistils on it.

Finally, two shots of the little, temporary grow area:

Thanks for checking the log! :pimp3: :ganja: :jah:

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#121206 - 09/12/08 02:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Got a question for you Sirius. Does that grow area have a front and top or are you just open airing it on two sides? Does this help significantly with temp? How about light leaks? By the by, Damn fine job!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Matanuska Tundra, Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #121227 - 09/12/08 03:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The front and top are open (although the top probably doesn't need to be, but it isn't going to accomplish much to cover it anyways). Our ambient temps in our intended area were too high for growing, and there was no way to condition the air there, so now we have it set up somewhere else. The front is open so the cool air can travel straight in from the air conditioner in the other room. Before, when we had it in that temporary setup, but with the front not open, the temperatures were getting to about 32 C/90 F degrees about 18" underneath the cool-tube. Now, the cool-tube is about 8" above the plants, and the temp stays around 24 C/75 F degrees. The difference is all in the air conditioning though - we tried having the HPS set up in a completely huge, open room, but the ambients were in the 80's and it was still getting into the mid '90's. :shrug:

The whole room that that little setup is in is light-proof, so having the open sides doesn't pose any problems. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #121522 - 09/13/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Roots work as buffer for nutrients and water. Large containers/root systems provide a large buffer and you have to water less frequent. That's the main advantage of a large container for me.

I don't know how many roots they need to not limit yield.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Annom]
    #121614 - 09/13/08 03:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well, it'd really be a question of other factors, because the more roots you have, the more water and nutrients they can uptake quicker, but if the plants aren't getting enough light, or carbon dioxice, to photosynthesize more to take advantage of the increased ability to supply water and nutrients to the plant, then it wouldn't matter.... It is really hard to say where that line is, but, generally, more roots is better for yield, and flowering full-sized plants out in a 4 liter container is a lot less common than a 12 or 16 liter container. We know we have to adapt to the smaller root size by watering more frequently and everything, but it was getting a little too late for the transplant and we didn't have enough coco to transplant all of the plants at the time (before sex was determined), and possibly not enough for all of the females anyways, also expecting to not be able to get more coco for the next set of seedlings until sometime after we'd need it, so we just decided to save the rest for the next germination and plan ahead, now having a better idea of how much we'd need, to be ready to make the transplant up to the 16 liter pots next time. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Sirius]
    #123793 - 09/18/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, this doesn't really count as an update, more of a teaser for the next update (coming soon enough :grin:), but Pipesmoker Elf was playing around with the camera and found a good way to take some nice close-ups of the resin and bud production that is occurring right now on the sole Critically Smashed female. All of the plants are really filling out with this crystally goodness, this plant really exhibiting it well... Anyways, that's about it, so here's a couple pictures:

:ganja:

:pimp3:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Sirius]
    #123795 - 09/18/08 06:38 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:crazy2::popcorn:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinefantasy2reality
 User Gallery

Re: Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: Yrat]
    #123806 - 09/18/08 06:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

DAMN, thats some mighty fine lookin shit there my friend.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Arjan's Haze #3, White Satin, and Critically Smashed [Re: fantasy2reality]
    #123946 - 09/19/08 07:48 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Looking great! Those ladies are a beautiful shade of green, and I can't wait to see those buds all fill in. 
Keep the updates comin'!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom