Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Loc: The Hall of Doom
AutoFlowering Kush Ryder CFL Grow Mini Grow Stealth Grow (COMPLETE) * 1
    #336453 - 12/26/09 01:45 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not expecting miracles here.  Really any level of success is better than I've done to date.  Any help is appreciated.  If you spot any pitfalls right away please let me know.  I realize the CFLs are not optimal but HID bulbs are not an option inside a minifridge.  It would just be an oven.

This is not my first attempt at growing but it is my first attempt to take it seriously.  My previous attempts failed probably for a variety of reasons.  I think it's important to learn from my mistakes so listing the things I think I did wrong seems sensible.

1. Used an Aerogarden and had no idea what I was doing.  Figured it was just plug and play and use the nuets they gave me with the kit.  That resulted in plants that would start pretty well then flop over and die all of the sudden.  So I started some plants in the aerogarden again and then transplanted them to soil.
2. Used some very cheep seeds and bag seeds sometimes.  Also bought strains that didn't match my needs or set up. 
3. Left my plant to grown on the floor in a wide open space where it got knocked over, lights fell on it etc.
4. Very poor set up with lighting unstable etc. Basically CFLs stuck in Shop Lights clipped to a metal rod.
5. Used Miracle Grow Soil.  For autoflowring plants with short lifespans I have no idea if this even matters. 
6. Simply didn't know enough about what I was doing.
7. Was very neglectful as this was not my primary hobby so care was not a priority.

The set up.

This time I've constructed a grow chamber.  I saw someone else posted this as a grow chamber so I stole the idea and ran with it.  I picked up a fairly large mini fridge. 

It is about 30inches tall by 17 inches deep and 17 inches wide inside.

I removed the motor and cooling coils.  I took out all of the shelves inside as well as the control dials etc.  I used a drimmel cuting bit (actually about 6 of them) to cut two holes in the back of the fridge(one high one low). I mounted a powerful fan to the top hole. 

I then placed strips of velcro tape horazontally on each side about three inches appart going up the sides. 

I then put velcro tape on the back of a power strip.  I am plugging my lights straight into my power strip. 

So as the lights need to get higher I must move the power strip up to a higher velcro strip.  I mounted a few more power strips in the back and top of the chamber for wireing purposes and wired the whole thing to a timer with a manual override.

Currently the lights are run 24 hours a day.  I lined the inside of the fridge with reflective mylar.  Then tightened up the light leakage on the front with duct tape and added a lockable latch on the door.

Also I had a dehydrator die on me a few days ago so I took it apart and the fan still worked on it when I wired it straight to power.  So I put that fan in the grow box also because it really moves the air around. 

Lots of light leakage on the back and no carbon filtering yet.  As it stands now I've tested the number of lights I can run without getting the heat above 90F.  I can run 5 26W CFL at just about 87-88F, 3CFL will run at around 80F.  I have a mix of daylight 6500K, bright white 3500K and soft white ??00K.  At some point I'm going to have to start carbon filtering and that is going to reduce air flow and as such mess with my lighting level potential.  I think the answer to this is regretabley to add more holes and more fans in the back of my minifridge or get a more powerful fan like a small squirl fan.  The squirl fan is the more likely scenaro but still I then have to build a filter on the outside of my minifridge which sort of takes away from the idea of stealth.

I bought three beans of Afgan Kush Ryder.  Once again I think I've ordered something that doesn't quite fit my need.  That need is the smallest plant I can grow and the easiest plant I can grow.  I think I should have ordered lowryder#1 or #2. Suggestions are welcome here and if you can include the seedbank where I can get them I'd appreciate it.

The first start in soil.

I started two of those AKR beans.  I don't think it's going too well. One looks like the root tip dried out.  The other fell over. I beleive I didn't put the seeds in deep enough.  Here is what I did.  I filled two 3 inch pots with Hoffman Seed Starter that I had placed in a bowl with some distilled water and squeezed several times to ensure the soil was just below field capacity.  I then made wells in the center of the damp-soil-filled pot about as fat around as my pinky finger with a screwdriver.  I then filled those holes with course grade vermiculite.  I had already germinated some seeds in distilled water and placed them root tip upward about .5cm down using a pair of tweazers.  I now beleive that should have been 1-2cm down.  Then I coverd them in vermiculite and misted heavily with distilled water.  Then I put a sandwhich bag over top of the pots to keep the humidity high.  So the one that fell over it looked the the main root tip bent badly.  I propped it back up and tryied to burry the root a little better with more vermiculite and some soil.  I remisted that soil and am hoping for the best.  The little plant is still standing upright after 24 hours and the first node looks dark green right now.  The other seed hasn't quite left it's shell entirely yet.  I doubt it's going to make it.  The root is very thin and spindly and it looks like it has dried out a bit.  I reburried the root in more verm and misted heavily again.  I am not holding out much hope.

Some general concerns.

I have a lot of air flow and my RH is below 50%.  I'm fearful that my soil is drying out too fast and I'm afraid the little seedlings are going to wind up dried out.

I'm not sure when to introduce nuets, which ones, in what amount, and what brands I can get locally that would work well.  I already have blood meal and bone meal and gypsum.

Thanks for reading this long ramble and thanks in advance for the assistance. 

:bigblunt:
C.H.

Edited by chucklehead (02/19/10 08:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineclosetgrower
Student

Re: AutoFlowering Kush Ryder CFL Grow Mini Grow Stealth Grow [Re: chucklehead]
    #336525 - 12/26/09 09:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Recently at home depot I saw HPS bulbs that were screw in size and below 100 watts. This may be a great option, although the bulbs are kinda pricy so it depends on how much you're willing to invest.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: AutoFlowering Kush Ryder CFL Grow Mini Grow Stealth Grow [Re: closetgrower]
    #336612 - 12/26/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

closetgrower said:
Recently at home depot I saw HPS bulbs that were screw in size and below 100 watts. This may be a great option, although the bulbs are kinda pricy so it depends on how much you're willing to invest.

Yeah I've seen them over there and I've seen the kits on eBay.  At this point it isn't about the money.  I can afford a good light set up but I don't have much space.  I'd love to build a full size grow room but there just isn't room for it.  As such I'm keeping it a mini grow.  In a mini grow with maybe 4.5 cubic feet that is poorly ventilated and highly insulated I would imagine that an HID would be a fire hazard.  I've been running CFLs and they run the temps up in that box quickly.  I am limitted to 5 26W CFL max before I start getting to around 90-92F.  That only gives me like 15k lumens.  Am I misguided in thinking the ONE HID bulb even in the 150W range is going to put out way more heat that my 5 CFLs?  If one HPS bulb isn't going to put out as much heat as 5 26W CFLs will I'll switch in a heart beat. 

Another limitting factor is odor.  I don't want this project stinking up my house.  I am assuming that one or two plants that only get 2ft tall max (hopefully more like 10-14 inches) aren't going to make the house smell like herd of skunks.  With a little carbon filtering I'm hoping to keep the smell under control.  Am I naive for thinking two very small plants won't smell up the house?

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

High on Poppy Tea and thinking about stuff. [Re: chucklehead]
    #336746 - 12/26/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I know I'm not supposed to bump my own thread within 24 hours but I want to keep records of some of the changes I just made.  Some of the numbers I've worked out and some of the thoughts I'm having about changing the set up.

1. I took the seed shell off the sprout that is lagging behind.  I'm pretty sure it's dead.  The root is looking a little brown.  I think it's rotting. 

2. The soil is drying out rapidly because of the heavy air movent inside the chamber and I think because of the extreme drainage of the soil. 

3.  I just read that once you see the first set of spikes you should give the plant some nutrients.  Well I'm a little behind on that but I just added some Shultz 10-15-10 Plant Food Plus Micronutrients.  I diluted it to less than 1/4 strenght and really only put a little in there.  Tomorrow I'll hit it again but after that I will do plain water for the next tree waters.  Then back to the nutes.  I need to pick up another water bottle for just water vs my nutes bottle.

4.  I removed the two florecent bulbs in the front of my chamber.  They aren't needed anymore so they are just in the way now.  I'm going to try to keep it as clutter free as possible.  I'm probably going to mount a bracket inside the camber for the extra cage fan and run it on a seperate timer.  It's nice because the heavey air turbulence makes the plants wiggle all the time.  However it has a couple of issues.  One is the motor on that fan gets hot and adds to the heat in the chamber.  Another is that it would totally shread a plant if one ever fell over onto it.  So I think I'll put in a bracket of some kind and mount it to the bracket somewhere high in the chamber.  I'll probably use an L bracket and gorilla tape.  Not super classy but it'll get the job done.

5.  I'd like to have more air flow so I can use more lights.  I could make the lower hole bigger.  I think that will help air flow a lot.  Another choice would be to wire up a small computer fan to blow into the chamber right in front of the lower hole.  The upper fan blows outward.  That might help.

6.  I would also like to reduce wire clutter.  I think I'm going to have to drill a hole or two through the chamber large enough for the plugs.  That might reduce the clutter.

7.  The dimentions of the chamber are 1.96 square ft and 4.9 cubic feet.  Right now I'm only running three lights.  That comes out to 78W.  That is roughly 6000 lumens.  That's 3000 lumens per square foot.  According to this http://www.growery.org/2796/Cannabis-growing-guide#A15 I may be over doing it with the light already.  So maybe I don't need to do so many mods to the box as I thought.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: High on Poppy Tea and thinking about stuff. [Re: chucklehead]
    #337034 - 12/27/09 12:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Dropped my last Afgan Kush Ryder bean in some water ten minutes ago.  I'm fairly positive the other plant is dead.  It hasn't shown any signs of growth at all.  On the up side my one good sprout looks like it's going to make it.  The top of the soil is drying out fast with the heavy vermiculite and the extreme airflow.  I just misted it to keep it from killing the roots.  This may be a mistake since the roots seem to be growing sideways instead of down.  Maybe I'll let it dry out a little more next time.

I bought 10 Nirvana Short Rider regular beans last night.  I wanted something inexpensive for practice.  That way my screw ups will cost me less.  I'm sure the germination rate wont be as good as maybe another breeders might be but that's ok by me. 

I'm going to try to run 3 plants in here.  Initially I was only going to do one but I think if I maximize my space usage I could get 4 plants in there.  For now I'm going with three and see how that goes.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Update [Re: chucklehead]
    #337778 - 12/29/09 09:50 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The last Afghan Kush Ryder bean cracked open yesterday I waited until this morning to plant it.  The root was about 1/16th of an inch.  I put two inches of vermiculite on the top of my soil pot.  So basically I have 2 iches of seed starter soil beneath 2 inches of vermiculite.  I moistened the pot with 1/4 strenght of Shultz 10-15-10 Plant food.  I burried the bean about 1 inch deep. 

Update on the only success so far.  I think I'll call it AKR#1.

I sniffed the plant AKR#1 today.  It isn't distinctly pot like yet.  It does have a very light smell to it though.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Update [Re: chucklehead]
    #338337 - 12/30/09 09:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You said you may need to add in more fans?  How's the overall airflow in your cabinet?  Stale, hot, air may be affecting you right now.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleMuggles

Re: Update [Re: coda]
    #338377 - 12/31/09 01:34 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Where did you find those lightbulb sockets? That's inGENIOUS! Forget wiring up a bunch of bases...

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Update [Re: Muggles]
    #338391 - 12/31/09 03:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I did something kind of like that with a tri-splitter and a couple of Y-sockets to get 4 CFL's in a small area like that.
only about a dollar apiece at almost any hardware store

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Update [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #338642 - 01/01/10 09:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

You said you may need to add in more fans?  How's the overall airflow in your cabinet?  Stale, hot, air may be affecting you right now.

I think it's good now.  It wasn't ever stale.  The big problem was I couldn't run a lot of bulbs without the heat creeping up on me.  I could only run 5 CFLs and still be ok on temps.  What concerns me is I haven't added any kind of carbon filters.  Once I do that the air flow is certainly going to be inhibited and then I'm boned.  But where there is a will there is a way.  I had to move the mini fridge to my basement today because relatives are coming for an overnight visit.  Since I had the mini fridge in the spare room it had to be moved to the basement.  Well, once in the basement I had the reverse problem.  The temps weren't high enough.  So now I'm running 8 CFL and 2 of those 18 inch floro grow lights.  The 18 inchers put out a lot of heat.  So when it comes time to filter the air flow I'll cut back the lights starting with the 18 inchers since they have the lowest wattage and highest heat output.  I'm thinking I may do that sooner rather than later.  I have no idea if altering the light levels downward would harm or stress the plants but better safe than sorry right?

I wish I didn't have to filter the air at all but I've had a plant that was a foot tall and not flowering before.  I could smell them when I walked into a room.  I'm guessing that two 10-14 inch flowering plants are going to be strong enough to stink the place up.  Now that I think about it I should probably get an ionizer too.  I have one of those HEPA filters that have a carbon filter on them.  I wonder if that would work.  Probably not.  Though it does clean the smell of pot smoke out of the air pretty well.

The air movement is really good.  I have to water my plants daily.  At first I thought I was maybe overdoing the watering but when I would pick up the pot it would be feather light.  When the plants were running in an environment with higher end temps and lots of air movement add to that the soil is super loamy with lots of perlite and vermiculite they were bound to evaporate their water rapidly.  I have the white fan on a timer now to run for 6 hours and stop for six hours at a time.  My aim here is to cut back on the watering and still strengthen the plants by keeping them wiggling from the air movement.

Quote:

Where did you find those light bulb sockets? That's inGENIOUS! Forget wiring up a bunch of bases...

Thanks.  I get those little plugs at walmart.  They are in the isle with the lights.  Usually they are hanging on a little peg.  Like Harry said they are about a dollar.

Now for a little update.  I'll get the camera out tomorrow but for now just words.  AKR#1 is coming along.  The first set of 5 spike leaves have started to develop.  She's stretching out a little bit I'd guess she's about 2 inches.  Her color is going to a lighter green.  I haven't given her any nutes for a couple days.  I'm thinking I'll give her a little plant food tomorrow.  I'm going to stick with a 1/4 strength solution until she gets a little bigger.

AKR#3 my latest seedling finally broke the surface.  So I took the plastic bag off the top of her and she's exposed to airflow and light now.  The humidity is around 60% so I'm fairly comfortable with doing this. 

Humidity could eventually become problematic as I have very little control over humidity in the chamber.  It goes up and down between 40-60% I've read higher humidity can cause molds on the buds.  I have no idea how I'd control this.  I'm a fungus guy I've always worked toward higher humidity in the past.  I've never tried to control it downward before.

Pics tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone!
C.H.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#338756 - 01/02/10 08:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Pics as promised

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#341981 - 01/06/10 10:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ok there have been a few changes since the last update.  For one my timer for my lights burned up.  It actually started smoking and the side of the case started to warp and melt.  I'm damn glad I was home when it happened.  Yikes!  Sooooo take care the wattage you try to run through a digital timer I guess.  By removing the timer I dropped the temps in my grow chamber by 10 degrees F.  So now I'm down in the low seventies.  Time to add more lights and get some more timers which I'll run seperately this time.  So each cord of 78W will have it's own timer.  More clutter but fuck it I'm going to get to put at least two more lights if not four in there so I'll be over 300W and around 23000 lumens. 

The lights are running 24 hours a day.  When I pick up the timers I'll run them 20 hours on and 4 off. 

AKR#1 is coming along nicely.  She's getting close to the lights I moved her away from them but the lights need to be moved up one level in a day or two.  Her stalk is all green now.  It had reds and purples in it before.  Also the stalk has thickened considerably.  This is the best looking plant I've ever grown before.  There are sets of leaves under the bigger leaves.  I've never had that happen before either.  I'm supposing that is a good thing but I don't know.  I'm still feeding her daily and giving her 1/4 strength plant food.  It appears she likes it.  When I touch her leaves they feel oddly plastic like and dry.  The leaves are a little curly and not so much flat.  Over watering maybe?  I'm starting to wonder when she needs transplanted.  I'm thinking about the time I see roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.  AKR#1 is so compact I can't see any evidence of sex.  I don't want to break the plant so I'm not bending the leaves around too much.  I know it's supposed to be feminized and all that but I've just been calling it a HER because I'm wishfully thinking.  One more thing.  I've never seen leaves with a frost to them at this early a time in a plants development.  Granted it's a very light frost but still it is there.

AKR#3 is looking a little spindly but so did AKR#1 at first.  I'm going to cut her back on the nutes and go to strictly water for a bit longer.  Her stalk is still purplish.  Also I found one yellow circle near the center of one of the spike leaves.  I looked inder the leave and saw no evidence of mites or maggots or anything.  I did however have a gnat fly out of my grow box today so that concerns me.  I didn't catch it so I don't know what kind of gnat it was but it was very black.  It wasn't a phorid, which is good. Those little bastards explode in population in no time.  Man I hate those things.  Anyway here are some pics.

--------------------

OfflineGoldenCapAttack
Male

Loc: Ca
    #342946 - 01/08/10 04:46 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:rockon:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Update [Re: GoldenCapAttack]
    #343904 - 01/09/10 07:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you got a shitty timer.  300 watts is nothing.  I run my 600 watt light, one squirrel cage fan, one inline fan, and one oscillating fan off of one timer.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Update [Re: coda]
    #344016 - 01/09/10 11:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:shrug:
Regarding the timer I guess so.  It was like $20 at Walmart.  I bought it quite a while ago so I'm not certain.  The timer I'm using to run the one fan is retarded now too.  It won't keep the time it keeps resetting itslef.  It only works as an on off switch at this point which I have to run manually.  I'm going to ditch that too soon as I get done studying today.  I was actually going to get a bunch of those really basic dial timers.  If that's not the way to go could you recommend a timer that would be better please?

Regarding the lumens, first let me say I'm not trying to argue I'm trying to understand so that I do this right.

Why is it that adding more lights does not equal adding more lumens?  My perception based on what my eyes detect is adding more lights adds to the brightness.  Does more brightness not mean more lumens?  Also (and this is just my vague recollection of High School Physics) I thought light was esentially the emition of photons.  So if X photons are striking the surface of a plant from one light.  If I add two more lights for a total of three lights would I have 3X photons striking the surface of my plant?  Is there not a relationship of photons to lumens?  Found this link.  I haven't read it yet.  I'll study that later.  I have home work to do.
http://www.sunmastergrowlamps.com/SunmLightandPlants.html
http://www.ini.uzh.ch/~tobi/anaprose/recep/practicalPhotometry.pdf

I'm running 26W CFLs the lumens vary as do the Kelvin based on the type of CFL.  Some or the 6500K Daylight CFLs, some are bright whites 3500K cfl and some are the soft white CFL at 2700K I think.  I don't have the numbers on the lumens handy.
Quote:

This chart is from the Complete Cultivation guide.
Lamp Type        Watts  Lumens per bulb    Total efficiency
Fluorescent Bulb 40      3000  400 watts = 30k lumens
Mercury Vapor    175    8000  400 watts = 20k lumens
Metal Halide    400    36000  400 watts = 36k lumens
High P. Sodium  400    45000  400 watts = 45k lumens

I had assumed that there weren't any 400W Fluorescent bulbs (perhaps incorrectly).  So adding bulbs would add watts and therefore add lumens.  Or put another way if one bulb equals 1900 Lumens ten equaled 19000 lumens.  Evidently not.

Found something else interesting at
http://www.gardenscure.com/grow-guide/

Quote:

Lighting Forumlas
To correctly determine the best lighting for your space there are several things that you have to know. At this point, a couple of definitions are in order. The amount of light emitted by one candle that falls on one square foot of surface one foot away is called a lumen (lm). The amount of electricity flowing through a wire is measured in watts. Watt (W) hours measure the amount of watts used in one hour. A kilowatt/hour (kWh) is 1,000 watt/hours (Wh).

Lumens Per Square Foot
To determine how many lumens per square foot you have, find out the square footage of your space by multiplying the width and depth. Divide the lumens available by your square footage. This will give you lumens per square foot. For example, say your space is 3 feet deep by 4 feet wide, for a total of 12 square feet. The total lumens available from your light(s) is 45,000 lumens, which means you have 3,750 lumens per square foot.

How Much Light Do I Need?
Technology has advanced so much in the last 15 years that we are constantly refining the process and updating what we know works best for growing. Current theory holds that the minimum amount of lighting needed to sustain growth is around 2,000 lumens per square foot. Mid range is around 5,000 lumens per square foot. Optimal is 7,000 to 7,500 or higher lumens per square foot. How Many Watts Do I Need? The general rule of thumb for providing light for an area is a minimum of 30 W per square foot. 50 W per square foot is optimal. You can determine the proper lighting for your area by using this formula: Watts x Square Feet For example, say you have an area of 10 square feet and a 30 W. That would mean you have a 300 W per square feet minimum. Also, remember that fluorescent’s are weaker and emit less light than an HID. This means you will need 5 times the amount of wattage to equal the output of an HID. So, 30 W of HID would equal 150 W of fluorescent’s. This is why it is advised to provide a minimum of 30 W per square foot for HID lights and a minimum of 150 W per square foot for fluorescent’s. This is all important because the light intensity will directly affect the quality and yield of your crop. If you have less than optimal lighting your yield and potency will be reduced and buds will not develop as dense. This point can not be stressed enough. You must have the right amount of light for your space to grow high quality bud.

At this point I'm getting confused. 

Bottom line it for me.
Does adding more CFLs help my plants?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #344019 - 01/09/10 11:52 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I recanted that part of my post because the more I thought about it, the more I realized I had no concrete proof either way.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/344012

So i started that thread.  Hopefully we can get a solid answer to this question.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Excitement and Fear [Re: coda]
    #344280 - 01/09/10 08:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well today I discovered little white hairs on the top of AKR#1.  So for that I am excited.

Also I found that she was looking more droopy that ever.  For that I am fearful.  After a few searches I found that it was probably due to over watering and too much nitrogen.  I've got her in a 3 inch pot that dries out daily.  I see some tiny roots on the bottom of the pot but they are very whispy.  I water daily with 1/4 strenght plant food but daily watering is perhaps causing build up of nutrients in the soil.  I'm not sure if I should just cut back the water to every other day and just let her be dry every other day or if I should just cut out the nutrients or both or neither.  I'll post in the Doctor forum and see what folks say.

AKR#3 is coming along nicely but she's starting to show the first signs of curl and droop.  I don't water her daily because she doesn't dry out daily.

Maybe I need better plant food.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Excitement and Fear [Re: chucklehead]
    #344286 - 01/09/10 08:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

any room for bigger pots in your grow chamber?

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Excitement and Fear [Re: coda]
    #344330 - 01/09/10 08:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yep I can put two 1 gallon square pots in there.  I'll have to move my white fan but that shouldn't be a problem.  The pots need drilled out and I'll have to rig something to let the drainage work right i.e. get some space between the bottom of the sqaure pot and the bottom of the minifridge.  I have some aluminum pans with corigate bottoms I was thinking about lining that with a plastic garbage bag or something.

I'm a little nervous about the soil for transplanting.  Folks are pretty fussy about that around here.  I've got some options there but I've never seen Fox Farms soil at any of my nurseries or lowes.  What are the key points to picking out a good soil?  Can I just get something 'organic'?  Should I pasteurize it when I get it home?  Should I order some High Mountain Compost or Mary's Compost?  I never actually considered them for growing weed.  Heh I always just thought of them as mushroom substate.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#345310 - 01/10/10 06:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well I repotted AKR#1 today.  I used ferti-lome's cactus mix.  It has sphagnum peat, perlite, limestone, and sand.  I added a very small amount of vermiculite.  It seams like it'll have good drainage. 

As usual AKR#1 was bone dry again today after a solid soak yesterday.  She had a super root ball.  Just about every last bit of soil came out of the smaller pot in one piece.  The roots were all around the edges of the container.  I can't believe she had such a root system with such a small plant.  I put her in a one gallon container with nine 1/4 inch holes in the bottom.  I used straws with drink stirs stuffed in them to suspend the new pot from the bottom of the grow box.  I've relined the bottom of the grow box with an aluminum pan that I lined with a plastic garbage bag.  This will allow me to water inside the grow box and trust the plants can safely drain excess water.  On the subject of water.  After transplanting AKR#1 I gave her a good soak.  That container can really soak up some water.  I was shocked.  I watered her with about eight times as much as I normally give her and the water never drained out.  I picked her up to check the weight for reference. 

I moved the lights over AKR#1 up one level (about three inches).  I'll do pics in a couple days.  There isn't much to see.  She's a litte more droopy today than yesterday.  I suspect she'll be a little grumpy about being moved.  If marijuana acts like tomatoes at all when they are replanted she probably won't show many signs of growth for a few days then she'll take off like a shot.

AKR#3 now has first set of 3 spikes.  Second set just barely starting to form.  Water for a few more days and then she'll get some food.

Side note, I still haven't got my seeds from Attitude yet.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #345318 - 01/10/10 06:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The freebies they were offering back in the beginning of december?

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Excitement and Fear [Re: coda]
    #345483 - 01/10/10 08:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Nope I ordered some Nirvana seeds back on December 26th which is only a couple of weeks ago.  I've always gotten my stuff from Doc Chronic a little faster than that.  Not like there's any rush.  I can't start any new plants until these two are about finished.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#346724 - 01/12/10 09:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Got my seeds today.  Turns out signing for them was pretty much a nothing deal.  I was freaking out. 

Didn't have time to snap picks today.  I had work and school.  AKR#1 The bottom two nodes are going yellow.  The rest of the leaves perked up really nicely.  She turned a good bit lighter in color too.  I think I'll feed her next time I water.  I'm thinking I'll up her nutrients to half strength rather than 1/4 strength.  She has started to get a smell to her.  I noticed a scent of lemon in the basement when I walked in the room.  I'm going to have to get those filters put on the grow box soon and adjust the light so I don't hurt my girls.

AKR#3 just a little bigger.  No major changes.  She doesn't drink water the way her sister did.  Her soil mix is different though.  She got more vermiculite on top and less through the bottom half.  So I expect she'll hold moisture better than AKR#1 anyway. 

I have to say this is way too much fun.  I wish I had a dozen grow boxes.  No way that's going to happen in this house.  The wife is none to pleased about me growing.  Which I can't figure out for the life of me.  For the last couple years I grew Shrooms by the pounds literaly (I filled a lawn bag once with cracker dry booms from one harvest).  So now I shut all that down and I grow two teeny tiny plants and she's all scared.  Oh and here is the kicker.  She wants me to do another shroom grow so I have stuff for spring.  :wow:  What ever.  I just want to grow my own weed so that I never doubt the quality and will always have a source.  ME!

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#347147 - 01/13/10 05:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

AKR#1
I lost the first two nodes.  The third node is looking yellow and getting spots.

I wonder if I'm losing leaves due to moving the light further away.  I'm probably just paranoid from the pot brownies earlier.  It could very well be the transplanting.  Also should I clip those leaves off once they dry up?

Oh yeah and this girl can drink.  She's slurping up water again quickly.  I gave her food again tonight.  This time at about half the recommended strength.  I'm going to try to keep moving her up to regular food.

AKR#3 She's getting more spots on that first set of spikes.  Otherwise she looks ok to me.  Her center stem is losing it's purple.

I put in the last couple pics for scale.  These things aren't that big.  Just tiny litte girls. 

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #347325 - 01/13/10 09:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

eh, i wouldn't worry too much about those few leaves at the bottom.  They usually die off during flowering and don't really provide too much benefit to your plant since they're covered by all the overgrowth on top.  If all of your major fan leaves were looking like that at this point, then I'd say you'd have a problem :wink:

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Oh crap. [Re: coda]
    #348714 - 01/16/10 04:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The mylar was falling down today and getting in the way of the fan.  I fixed it with gorilla tape.  Problem is I turned off the fan while fixing it because the fan has no guard and will literally take off a finger.  Well I forgot to turn it back on.  Temps went over 120F today for several hours.  So far the plants look ok.  It's been several hours since and they look just as they did above except that AKR#3 has one leaf that turned brown half way.  So I may have killed my plants today but I'll probably know by tomorrow if I actually hurt them or not.

AKR#1 is 4 inches tall today.

AKR#3 is 1.5 inches tall today.  On looking back over my thread AKR#3 is about two weeks behind AKR#1.  By that thinking I should probably transplant her next week end if she doesn't die before that.  The thing is her main stem isn't looking as strong as AKR#1's did at that time.  Maybe she'll get more hearty soon.

Also I took out the two long lights out of the grow box today.  They add a lot of heat for as little light as they contribute.  Initially that was a good thing but I need to start filtering the air now.  There is definitely a distinctive odar coming from the box now.  It's noticalbe upon walking in the room.  So I'm guessing to someone not used to the smell at all, the smell is permiating the house and I'm just desensitized.  So I'm going to lay some charcoal filters over the exhaust fan and experiment with the temps.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oh crap. [Re: chucklehead]
    #348720 - 01/16/10 04:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

They're heat stressed, but should survive with some care.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Oh crap. [Re: coda]
    #349554 - 01/18/10 06:23 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The lights were sagging down again.  When ever the heat goes over 90 the glue backing on the velcro starts to melt enought that the weight from the lights makes the fixture sag.  I've noticed that hanging the velcro on the fixture vertically works much better in terms of sag.  The trouble here is I'm going to have to put a bunch more fixtures in in order to support the lights.  Plus I have to totally rework the box.  Another option would be to find a way to suspend the lights.  I'm going to try to get through this grow as is but if the fixtures keep coming appart that's not going to work.  I sort of suspected this might happen but I went with it anyway.

AKR#1 is 4.5 inches tall today.  The lower leaves are a little yellow but otherwise she looks okay.

AKR#3 is almost 2 inches tall.  She is looking pretty droopy.  I noticed her main stem has thickened up considerably.  I'm going to repot her in two days.

--------------------

Edited by chucklehead (01/18/10 07:29 PM)

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Oh crap. [Re: chucklehead]
    #350947 - 01/20/10 06:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I repotted AKR#3 tonight.  She had a decent root ball.  I think I timed that one just about right.

AKR#1 is starting to stink.  I cut back the lights to only six lights but I added a filter to the exhaust fan.  It isn't helping.  Time to look up proper carbon filter making.

--------------------

Offlinethe man

#351742 - 01/22/10 01:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

maybe put the cooling tube in there and have it on low couple hours a day. oooorr  rip out all the insulation and shit on teh inside there by allowing it to cool easier and give you a couple inches on all sides more of space!

Offlinethe man

Re: Excitement and Fear [Re: the man]
    #351744 - 01/22/10 01:02 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh and having all those wires in there put off heat aswell.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#351790 - 01/22/10 08:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

well it turns out the white fan I was running to create turbulance was my big problem regarding odor.  My guess is that it was throwing smelly air out of the intake.

--------------------

Offlinethe man

#351898 - 01/22/10 01:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

blowin out in the in hole is never good. \

OfflineSgt. Smoke
File up and smoke down!
Male

Loc: Classified
    #352020 - 01/22/10 05:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I wouldn't feed everyday. water,feed,water,feed or better yet water,feed,feed,water etc.

They are still small so they don't need that much food. You can always boost it later.

I would also flush those babies. Salt build up is a nasty thing.

SGT.

--------------------
L.O.B.

LEGION OF BUD

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Excitement and Fear [Re: Sgt. Smoke]
    #352266 - 01/23/10 09:35 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

AKR#1 hasn't grown taller in several days.  I think she's mad about me reducing her light.  She has gotten a little thicker.  I'm hoping she's working on roots  She seems to be drinking more lately.

AKR#3 is coming along.  She has done some growing she's just below 2.5 inches tall now.

I moved the lights again.  I did that for basically two reasons.  I want the lights closer to the plants and second the glue keeps giving out on me when I stick them to the sides of the fridge.  Eventually I have to rig up a suspension system.  Maybe some time next week.  I could rig all the lights along the back wall and the cealing but the lights would be pretty far away from the plants at all times.  Suspension is a harder thing to rig but better I think.

Humidity levels continue to rise.  That is a bit distressing.  The temps and humidity in there are getting fungus friendly.  The only thing I can think to do to correct is get more air flow.  That means I either have to make more holes (not desireable) or I could attempt to mount another fan on the grow box.  This time I'll put it on the intake blowing inward of course.  Maybe that will help.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

My first semi success [Re: chucklehead]
    #354351 - 01/27/10 09:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well AKR#1 is dead.  I killed her tonight.  There are three issues with having done this that I'm fully aware of.  1.  I took her down a little early.  Only maybe 1/3 of the trichomes turned amber and the rest were milky or clear but mostly milky.  ( My hand held microscope sort of sucks but it gets the job done.)  2. I didn't flush her roots and I did feed her this week.  3. I am not going to properly cure her.  She's going in the dehydrator.  I have my reasons for each of these things.  For #1.  She was stinking up the house.  One little 5 inch plant could be smelled all through 2000 square feet of my house.  For #2.  Same as #1.  3. I haven't built a proper drying box yet.  I will this week end.

By the way the roots of this tiny plant had spread to every corner of that 1 gallon pot.  She had formed a pretty good root ball again.  It makes me wonder just how much soil she really needed to reach her full potential.

This is my first semisuccess.  I've never gotten bud before.  If I had had a chance to flush her out I would be completely satisfied by this result.  As it is I'm aiming to do better with AKR#3.  Hopefully I'll have built or bought a better filter by the time she starts to stink. 

I didn't weigh it or anything like that.  I dismantled this bud into smaller individual buds.  Spread it out in the dehydrator and she's drying out now.  The clippings from the leaves and such went into a tea which I drank ealier.  The high is a mix of stoney and engergetic and man it sure is satisfying. :headbanger:

AKR#3 is coming along nicely.  She's a bit stretchier than her sister.  Her leaves are bigger too.  I hope she turns out as well as AKR#1 but with better drying, perhaps curing, and definitely with flushing out the chemicals.

--------------------

OfflineGoldenCapAttack
Male

Re: My first semi success [Re: chucklehead]
    #354412 - 01/28/10 01:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:hi5:

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#354419 - 01/28/10 01:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sometimes it's easy to make mistakes looking at the trichomes. In any case, it's a shame you had to chop her down so early. She was definitely not ready judging by the pictures as well as the high you describe.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: My first semi success [Re: TomCollins]
    #354635 - 01/28/10 05:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

AKR#1 dried out to a whopping 2 grams.

--------------------

OfflineGoldenCapAttack
Male

#354963 - 01/29/10 02:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

2g's?
I guess thats decent considering you only
had it going for about a month. Total?
I'd be happy man, Enjoy that nice free
homegrown dank :vaped::thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: My first semi success [Re: GoldenCapAttack]
    #357869 - 02/04/10 11:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

AKR#3 is coming along nicely.  She's about six inches tall now.  I haven't been feeding her anything at all just watering.  Which i did tonight and I do about every three or four days.  She's thicker in the stem than her late sister AKR#1 In fact it looks like she is going to branch out some.  Right now the buds are very tiny.  I think it's time I gave her some plant food later this week.

I've been so busy lately with school I hardly have time for the poor girl.  I desperately need to get those lights hung.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#358374 - 02/06/10 10:02 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Fixed the lighting in the grow box.  Pics Later.

Edited by chucklehead (02/06/10 09:06 PM)

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#361163 - 02/09/10 08:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I added two more fans today.  I tied down the white fan that I had in there before and had to remove.  Also I added a computer fan in front of the intake. I'm hoping this helps AKR#3 bush up a little.

AKR#3 is looking pretty good.  She's done some branching.  She's starting to thicken up a little too.  Also she has started to stink.  She smells different from her sister.  Her sister had a strong citrus smell.  AKR#3 smells a little like citrus but stronger of skunkish and a bit like manure.

I realize results like these aren't dramatic but I'm really quite pleased.  This method appears to be capable of supplying my needs.  I'm hopeful AKR#3 weights in heavier than her sister.  I would like to see maybe 4 grams this time.  I really need to get a proper air filter on this thing.  AKR#1's demise was her odor.  If I could contain the smell I could grow out my plants longer.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #361354 - 02/09/10 10:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice little bushy ladies you got there!  I love the look of AF's, yet I find a hard time finding a practical use for them, besides multiple harvest outdoor seasons, but the yield isn't practical to me. Anyways your's looks basically perfect, and looks to have a major head start on trichome production.  Damn!  Nice job so far!  I like it

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: My first semi success [Re: Inverted]
    #361942 - 02/10/10 07:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thank man!

I really didn't expect anything this good.  I'm going to guess a lot of the credit should go to World of Seeds genetics.  I'm really only responsible for adjusting lights and giving food and water.  I gave a lot less nutrients to this plant than I did the last one.  Looks like that's working out just fine.  I fiddle with the fans too but I have no idea to what degree that even matters.  I'm just doing that to prevent fungus and strengthen the plants but I often wonder how the plant would have turned out had I not done any of that.  Also all of the light adjustments I make.  I wonder how much that makes a difference.  Since I don't have the time, space, or money to build another grow box the world will never know. :P  Maybe one day if I ever get my second degree I'll be able to stop paying for school and buy a bigger house.  With more space and cash on hand then maybe I'll be able to grow more... mostly for the hell of it I guess since I have no use for more than what I'm growing now.  I've been looking at LEDs and sort of wish I could start a grow with LEDs to run side by side with my CFL grow.  Maybe I'll start sniffing around for another mini fridge and toss out some old junk around this place to make room for it... probably not but I guy can dream.

Anyhow thanks again for the Kudos.

C.H.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#363263 - 02/12/10 04:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

She's about 8 inches tall now.

There are buds on and under the lower branches.  I can smell her when I walk in the house now.  I'm going to try to add an additional layer to the filter I'm using but I doubt it will help.  If that doesn't help I don't know how much longer I can let her live.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#363535 - 02/13/10 11:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Today is your lucky day AKR#3.

I added a filter to the intake today.  Made a huge difference in the smell from my other grow.  It also raised the temperature 10 degrees in the top half of the mini fridge to around 100F.  The middle is running around 85 now and the bottom by the intake is still 75-80.  So the plants at the bottom are still well within good temperature ranges. 

So with the smell much better contained AKR#3 I allow you to live, for now.  I'm hoping I can let her grow out at least one more week if not two.  She's six weeks old and a day today.  I'd guess within a couple weeks she'll have maxed out her space and my ability to control her odor.  Though, because of the size of the pot she's in, she may not get a lot taller.  At only six weeks old she should have at least two more weeks for flowering in her, I would think, if not more.  The first signs of flowers on this plant were about three weeks ago when she was only about 1.5 inches tall.  According to the vendor hype I've read, you have typically 8-9 weeks of flowering on these autoflowering plants.  There's no way this baby is going six more weeks.  I'm sure it would live that long in the right conditions but I just can't see it happening in the environment I'm providing.

Had to give this little 8 inch plant half a gallon of water today.  She can really slurp up the water.  I'm really digging the ferti-lome brand cactus mix I've been using for these plants.  So far they like it.  I've been mixing it with part ferti-lome ultimate potting soil.  Not particular ratios just till it looks like it'll hold enough water and drain well too.  The one thing I don't like about it though is the wetting agent that comes on it at first.  After you water the plants a few times it seems not to be a problem anymore.  At first the wetting agent is a pain because it sort of repells water.  So you are forced to water it very slowly at first.  I'm talking with a mister spray bottle.

--------------------

Edited by chucklehead (02/13/10 01:24 PM)

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: My second semi success [Re: chucklehead]
    #363980 - 02/14/10 12:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The hairs are starting to turn colors.

Also I want to correct some things I said earlier. 

1) I see some breeders saying flowering time for there autoflowering plants can be six week.  Some also state that the life span of the plant from seed to harvest is 8-9 weeks.  My first couple plants have started flowering at about week three.  So if I am to believe harvest time is around 8-9 weeks then that leaves 5-6 weeks of flowering.  That would mean AKR#3 has three more weeks until she's fully ready. 

I hope her buds get bigger in that time.  The ones on the bottom look tiny but the central cola thing looks ok.

2) I said AKR#3 is 8 inches.  That is incorrect.  She's more like 7.25in.

I want to do a better job curing this one.  I'm considering the warm water curing method.  I'd love to have odorless tasteless weed.

Also going forward AKR#3 gets only water.  No more food.

--------------------

OfflineGoldenCapAttack
Male

#363995 - 02/14/10 01:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

chucklehead said:
  I'd love to have odorless tasteless weed.

huh?

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: My second semi success [Re: GoldenCapAttack]
    #364054 - 02/14/10 02:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GoldenCapAttack said:
Quote:

chucklehead said:
  I'd love to have odorless tasteless weed.

huh?

I don't sell the weed I grow.  So I have no need for strong smelling weed to convince a potential client that "Yes in fact this weed is very potent and you can tell because the smell is so strong."  Basically because I have no need to prove anything to anyone and I just want to enjoy smoking (or eating) my weed there is no reason to have the hasle of it smelling up my house, fridge, freezer, etc..

From what I gather about water curing your weed it becomes odorless and tasteless.  Also the water curing method reduces or eliminates the harshness of the smoke.  So if you are eating the weed for example in the form of cannibutter baked into something else, ideally it would not alter the flavor or be detectable in any way.  So I could take my tastey narcotic snack into public and eat it without fear of suspicious odors.  Plus it would always taste completely awesome.  In the case of smoking I would prefer my weed to have a very low flavor and harshness or none at all.  I could add it to my pipe tobacco and enjoy it in my back garden without alerting the neighbors.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #364061 - 02/14/10 02:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

water curing? what is that?

--------------------

OfflineGoldenCapAttack
Male

#364115 - 02/14/10 03:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ahhhh.. I see.
And yeah, what exactly IS
water curing?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My second semi success [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #364144 - 02/14/10 04:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
water curing? what is that?

http://www.greenpassion.org/showthread.php?t=53

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My second semi success [Re: coda]
    #364147 - 02/14/10 04:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

why on earth would you ever do that to your beautiful nuggets? that entire post just made me very sad inside. :frown:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My second semi success [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #364149 - 02/14/10 04:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

beats me, some people enjoy it.  I would never do that unless it was the only way I could use the buds (mold, etc).

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My second semi success [Re: coda]
    #364171 - 02/14/10 05:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah air dry for the win. You get to smell the progress of that good stank. I would never let water touch my buds.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: My second semi success [Re: Dephect]
    #366901 - 02/17/10 08:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Pics tomorrow. 

She's getting fatter and hairier.  Kinda like my friends wife... anyhow she's looking good.  My plant I mean, not my friends wife.  Also the white hairs are turning orange and brown.  At the current rate of change I would guess in three more days she will have an equal number of orange and white hairs. 

AKR#3 isn't getting any taller.  I'm guessing that is the roots running out of room. 

I have to say these two plants have really impressed me.  I really really want to buy from World of Seeds again.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #366904 - 02/17/10 08:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

chucklehead said:
Pics tomorrow. 

She's getting fatter and hairier.  Kinda like my friends wife...

Fucking LOL

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

COMPLETE [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #367840 - 02/18/10 09:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well the wife asked me about the smell of the plant today.  I'm a terrible lier.  So I just told her the truth.  It smelled like gasoline when I opened the front door today.  The plant went stank over night.  So that made the wife scared and she hinted that it might be time to take AKR#3 down.  So I did.  I was hoping to get another week out of her but still I'm pleased once more by the result.  Sticky hairy plants that just look delicious.  Oh the resin was amazing.  I just wanted to take a bite out of the plant.  I'll give dry weights when it's done curing.  I'm going to water cure against the better advice.  For now it suits my needs.  Down the road when I can afford properly firltered drying chambers I'll to there.  Frankly I'm curious about this technique.  I've read numerous accounts of possitive feed back.  The only consistent complaint was loss of bag appeal.  Fuck it.  I don't keep my weed in a bag.  I keep it in a glass jar in my night stand where it waits to give me my bed time story.

Poked holes in the lids with a knife.  I'll use that to drain without agitating.  Then I'll fill themb ack up with RO and repeat the process.  I'll give final wait when I have it.

Little help on the anatomy folks.  Are these seed pods?  I don't get it.  I don't have a mail plant and I couldn't find any pollen sacks on this one to indicate she is hermie.

Over all I'm very satisfied.  I think the product is well worth it.  We'll see how the Nirvana beans do.  If hey don't come up to scratch I'll go ahead an buy another round of beans from World of Seeds again.  I may sex them next time.  It would be nice to not have to buy more seeds.  I"d love to start messing with cloning but autoflowering plants don't take to it well I hear.  Still it would be worth a shot if I could get a nice fan leaf or two early and try to clone them.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: COMPLETE [Re: chucklehead]
    #367851 - 02/18/10 09:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, those are technically seed pods. However, without a male to pollinate them they remain empty and instead the plant focuses it's energy on thc production and overall bud weight.

the more scientific term for those is ovaries. they literally have the egg in them (haploid) and when the other haploid (pollen--> sperm) fertilizes it then it forms a diploid zygote (embryo) which eventually matures into a seed

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #367862 - 02/18/10 10:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

also, very nice looking harvest. sad that she made you chop it because it definitely needed another 2-3 weeks, but beautiful none the less

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: COMPLETE [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #368370 - 02/19/10 08:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info and the Kudos.

I'm going to record the water curing process in this log also since I think there is value in it and I'm curing the bud from this grow.

The water smells like weed (duh).  It was a little greenish in tint. 

The buds are still floating.  The tips where I cut the buds are turning brown but the rest of the plant doesnt even know it's dead yet. 

Same goes for the leaves which I have jarred up seperately.  I didn't want to toss them since even the fan leaves had a good amount of trichomes on them.  I thought if I could get the majority of the taste out of the leaves they might make half decent canabutter.  The beauty of that is I never even bother to dry the leaves after they water cure.  They just go straight into the water/butter simmer.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #368373 - 02/19/10 09:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

- Is that true what Harry said? You had to harvest your girl early chuklehead?

I was really enjoying watching your mini psychedelic Christmas Tree grow in such a small space, but you say you had to end it early? That's so sad....

At least you got some bud from it....I'm curious on what the total dry yield is...

Also, how old was that plant? I'm hoping to harvest *something* for 4-20 in April, but I don't think I'll make it in time with my strain. Your's seems like a really fast grower.

And because I liked your mini-plant so much, I will be nominating your little psychedelic Christmas Tree bub (the one you had to sacrafice) for the "Photo of the Month" because I've never seen anything like it. Reminds me of the exictment of Christmas morning....

Well, I hope those budz are matured enough to enough good stuff to make it worth it...got a microscope to check out those trichomes?

If not, report back how it feels like (if you dare)...

Good job on your grow! Too bad it had to end early...:sad:

Now Back to your Other Journal
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: COMPLETE [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #368384 - 02/19/10 09:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah it's true.  The wife was getting nervous.  I find it's best to satify her immediately on these things.  That way I get do what ever projects I want with a minimal amount of nagging.

The plant was roughly six weeks from seed.

I'll throw a guess and say I got about double what I yielded from the first plant but I hear water curing reduces the weight considerably.  I'll update with actual weight when I'm all finished in a week.

I do have a microscope.  It's a crumby hand held unit but it works ok.  I didn't check the the trichomes yet though.  I'll check tomorrow.  If I had to guess though most of it is going to be pretty clear.  I doubt there were many amber or even milky ones.  I'll definitely report back on how she tastes and what the high was like.  Her sister was a very up high.  I litterly felt like I was rocketing upward into the sky. 

No worries about the early end.  It's my own fault really.  I have been pinching pennies and haven't spent the money on a proper filter and fan.  The cash just wasn't there and the little lady isn't a fan of my projects to begin with.  Mostly because my projects take up what she considers to be too much space.  In fairness I do accumulate a lot of equipment and supplies for every new project and advancement I make in technique.  So she has a fair point.  Anyhow adding a blower and big old filter on the outside of my minifridge would just mean taking up more space and that wouldn't go over well. 

Thanks for the kudos and the nomination.  I'm glad you all have enjoyed the log.  I've certainly enjoyed it myself.  Strange as it may sound, I've wanted to grow weed most of my adult life but never had a house until these last couple years.  Took me three years to talk my wife into agreeing to this project and I had to shut down my rather large shroom hobby in trade for this one.  That was actually fine with me.  Large shroom grows take enormous ammounts of time, money, and space.  Though I found it very rewarding, I don't miss the constant work.  So in the end I traded up.  Thanks again.  See you all in the next grow.  :bigblunt:

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#368977 - 02/20/10 08:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The water was murky and smelled like weed mostly.  It took on a light brownish color.  The murkiness had me concerned about bacteria at first.  When I emptied the water and refilled it the murkiness started to return within an hour.  So I'm pretty sure that is just something coming out of the plant.

The buds and leaves are changing colors.  They are getting darker and more limp.  Also they smell sort of chemically.  The leaves less so.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#370990 - 02/22/10 07:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Don't have time to upload pics tonight but I wanted to get a quick update on the curing put in here.

Last night instead of using distilled water I used filtered tap water.  Today the buds in particular were covered in tiny bubbles.  I get the idea that the plant realizes it's dead and is now breaking down and giving off lots of gass.  The leaves aren't doing that as much as the buds but still I did see quite a few bubbles.  I'm concerned I may have damaged the THC but after I poured off the water and replaced it I'm not as concerned.  None the less I need to compare the pics side by side when I get time to upload them.  Also after the water was poured off and replaced the Buds didn't float to the top today. 

Water was hazy again today but didn't stink as much.  The plants have lost easily 3/4 of their smell now.  Also the buds have drastically changed color now.  They are much darker in color.

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #371039 - 02/22/10 07:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Rough dude. You're a braver man than me.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

Loc: Flag
    #371054 - 02/22/10 07:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm interested to see what it smokes like after water curing, never seen it done.

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days
It's all a bunch of fucking bribble!

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: COMPLETE [Re: Snurry]
    #371103 - 02/22/10 07:55 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Large shroom grows take a lot of time??? Huh. I got like 3+ pounds in 2 months with a 5-tier shelf homemade fruiting chamber.

I'm hoping to do a side-by-side once I get the weed thing down. It's quite a rush when you see a 5-tier shelf bursting with shroomZ. :mushroom2:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: COMPLETE [Re: Snurry]
    #371112 - 02/22/10 08:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Snurry said:
I'm interested to see what it smokes like after water curing, never seen it done.

Me too, I've been planning to try water curing on like 1/8oz of one of my harvests, but never got around to it.  I hear it makes the smoke a lot more smooth and easy to hit.

Man I bet you can take some epic sized bonghits with watercured bud.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: COMPLETE [Re: Inverted]
    #371417 - 02/23/10 11:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
Large shroom grows take a lot of time??? Huh. I got like 3+ pounds in 2 months with a 5-tier shelf homemade fruiting chamber.

I'm hoping to do a side-by-side once I get the weed thing down. It's quite a rush when you see a 5-tier shelf bursting with shroomZ. :mushroom2:

Rude.  I was producing that in cracker dry weight just about weekly.  So yeah I was a little busy.

Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

Snurry said:

Me too, I've been planning to try water curing on like 1/8oz of one of my harvests, but never got around to it.  I hear it makes the smoke a lot more smooth and easy to hit.

Man I bet you can take some epic sized bonghits with watercured bud.

I smoked some of the stuff I air cured last night.  No need for bong hits.  A few tokes on the bowl was good for getting you nice and high with a nice light stoneyness.

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #371432 - 02/23/10 12:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Rude? Wow, talk about oversensitive. I was just sayin'. Chillax man.

I'm talking about dry weight too. Who weighs wet mushrooms? Some of my wet shrooms wouldn't even fit on my scale. But anyway.

--------------------

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: COMPLETE [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #371643 - 02/23/10 03:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry your right I over reacted.  I was vague about my volume and such.  How could you know what I was up to.  It's all good. :getstoned:

I should never have smoked that stuff last night.  It was so good.  Now I'm aching for more of it.  :tongue:  I guess I'll just have to puff down some of these mids and eat a brownie for now.  I'll upload some pics later and post them.

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #371675 - 02/23/10 04:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Smoke!

:awehigh:

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: COMPLETE [Re: Dephect]
    #371716 - 02/23/10 06:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

These are pictures from last night.  They show the bubbles I was talking about. 

These are from today.  As you can see the bubbles have stopped for now.  I don't think I lost much THC really.  The buds still look pretty frosty.  The color is changing to a darker green sort of moss colored. 

The water and the plants don't smell that bad now.  They basically smell like skunk weed but the smell is mild not powerful.  There is no more chemical smell at all really.

Initially I had planned to put these in a dehydrator.  I don't think I will now.  I think instead I'm just going to put them in a wire collander in front of some computer fans.  I'm sure it'll take longer but that stuff I smoked last night was dried in front of a fan and WOW it was good.

Also a word on the weight.  Only a weigh in will tell for sure but I'm starting to think I yielded more than double my last little Christmas tree.

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #371923 - 02/23/10 09:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That actually looks really good. I might try water curing for 1/8.

SMOKE!

Edited by Dephect (02/23/10 09:39 PM)

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #372229 - 02/24/10 06:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Damn chuckle. You showed us. I guess the water cure thing isn't as crazy as I thought.

I definitely have to try this out now. Thanks for taking the risk. I feel better about trying this.

Very interesting.

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: COMPLETE [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #372353 - 02/24/10 10:37 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah that bud looks really really nice. It looks like a lot of the chlorophyll has been leached by the water.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#373505 - 02/25/10 05:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok well here we are on the final day of the water portion of the cure.  The water is odorless but still cloudy.  Leads me to wonder if I should let it go another day or two but we'll stop it here and see how it goes.  The weed still has a odor.  There is still a smell of weed to it but it has more of a mint smell than a weed smell.  The color is noticeably darker today.  The trichomes are still thick and sticky on the bud.  I had a look at them under the microscope.  They are wilted and most of them are amber at the heads and milky the rest of the way through.

So now we let the fans do their job and hopefully in a few days I'll be able to give it the smoke test.:bigblunt:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #373511 - 02/25/10 05:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the trichs on that are A++ :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#373523 - 02/25/10 06:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I know right?

Then I read Chuckle's microscope results: "I had a look at them under the microscope.  They are wilted and most of them are amber at the heads and milky the rest of the way through."

I thought you harvested too early because the the wife's House Rules! Now I know you didn't harvest early: you harvested at *just* the right time, if not a little too late (if you like that milky-white uplifting high). She has some good timing...

Too bad its difficult to photograph thru a microscope: I'd like to see those trichomes!

Also, those budz in the jar look amazing. So colorful. I can't wait to find out the final dry weight, as well as that smoke test! :stoned:

Lookin' forward to the smoke report.....

Almost ready for lift-off....
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/25/10 06:11 PM)

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

#373955 - 02/26/10 05:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks man!  I'm pretty excited about how they turned out.

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#373959 - 02/26/10 06:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's nice to see someone trying water curing. God that must take some balls to drop your beautiful dank into a jar of water and watch it change colors.

Sorry to hear about the wife. Your stuff looks very very smokeable though. :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Playing Stink Finger with Mary Jane Kush Ryder [Re: TomCollins]
    #374108 - 02/26/10 02:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
It's nice to see someone trying water curing. God that must take some balls to drop your beautiful dank into a jar of water and watch it change colors.

Sorry to hear about the wife. Your stuff looks very very smokeable though. :thumbup::thumbup:

No biggie man.  The whole reason I'm growing now is I want to learn how to grow weed for my personal use in the future.  Everyone always tells me I look like a cop.  So as I get older it get's tougher to approach people for weed.  I still have my contacts for now but when those dry up I'll be on my own.  My dream is that weed get's legalized so that I can one day retire, grow weed worry free, and be one happy old man.

I'd say the buds are about half way finished drying or better.  The stems still have some bend in the middle but are crispy on the ends.  I have turned them a couple times today.  The drying is really fast and they buds have shrunk considerably.  The buds themselves look like they are done but if the stems are still a little moist I can't imagine that the buds are done.  I'll get some picks in later. 

I keep sniffing my fingers.  Turning the buds leaves my fingertips smelling heavenly.  It makes my mouth water.:wow:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Playing Stink Finger with Mary Jane Kush Ryder [Re: chucklehead]
    #374132 - 02/26/10 03:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Spency said:

I agree with finger-flippin' Spency: curing budz in water sounds kinda like dunking a cake in water to make it taste better (if that analogy even works). The whole idea seems crazy. Then again, I don't understand the purpose of curing: is it the same as drying? But, if it works (and it seems like it does), go for it! And it doesn't make your house stink of budz, perfect for a stealth like your grow Chuckle....]

Quote:

chucklehead said:
I keep sniffing my fingers.  Turning the buds leaves my fingertips smelling heavenly.  It makes my mouth water.:wow:

^If its not too much to ask, could you describe as you would a fine wine? Ya know, "it smells like" or "its sweet with a hint of sour" kind of description. Because weed scents are one of FAVORITE thing about fresh budz (besides smoking it of course). There's just so many different smelling budz with such complex scents. Its Heavenly really....Truely Herbal....

"Smells like a Skunk,
And I love it!"

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Re: Playing Stink Finger with Mary Jane Kush Ryder [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #374290 - 02/26/10 07:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My fingers smell like mint and orange mixed with honey and vanilla.

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Playing Stink Finger with Mary Jane Kush Ryder [Re: chucklehead]
    #374293 - 02/26/10 07:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yum. I wanna smoke some of that herb man :smile:

Smoke a bowl for me yo.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Totally Complete... Elvis has left the building. [Re: Dephect]
    #374337 - 02/26/10 08:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Final weight 5 grams.

There is still a smell if you touch it or move it around.  Otherwise it has a very low odor.  The buds themselves are very light and fluffy still. They are just about the right ammount of dry.  Not powder dry but crispy. 

Here is how it looked. 

Smoke test results. 

I just took three hits from my bowl.  Eh.. sort of flavorless and only a tiny hint of burn I mean so light you sort of ask yourself if there really was anything there at all.  The only flavor I can really detect is the taste of the resin left in my bowl.

Ok it took me three minutes to get to this line and write it.  This is a very very very stoney high.  Zone outs, light cotton mouth, and generally heavy stoney vibe also a little bit of a sleepy undertone. 

Man this is some seriously good stuff.  No doubt about it I am going to get some more of these WOS Afgan Kush Ryder.

Good Night and thanks for the support everyone.
C.H. :bobafett:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Totally Complete... Elvis has left the building. [Re: chucklehead]
    #374345 - 02/26/10 08:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Cool dude. I love your smell test description....the scent sounds so complex, like a fine herbal remedy....:happyweed:

The photos are kinda depressing: they looked so nice fresh! Now they look kinda like old weed thats been sitting in the sun too long. But 5 grams dry....not bad for a mini-grow. What's that, like a little more than an 1/8? All from your own hard work! Right On! :smile2::thumbup:

And too bad the smell and taste is gone: that just about wraps up my perspective on water curing....only use when stealthing is critical.

Stoney high huh? Zoned-out you say? Serious stuff eh?  Nice!:borat:

So is there no uplifting, energenic tone to it, just sleepy and "stoned"? That's surprizing, considering your trichome results.....Hmmm....

I'm glad you have something to smoke....I hope I get to that point without accidently killing my baby...you made it!

Its offically DONE! Yeaaa for Chuckles! :awedance: :bobmarley::gethigh::bonghit::awesome::ganja:

Enjoy that homegrown ride my friend...
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinecrummydustbunny
Stranger

Re: AutoFlowering Kush Ryder CFL Grow Mini Grow Stealth Grow (COMPLETE) [Re: chucklehead]
    #445966 - 07/13/10 03:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order